• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, I almost won with a knights setup.

I should have removes the trolls at the end. Enemy is 6hp

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Just played a game with knights/dragons and did really well. The changes to those alliances made a huge difference. The Dragon Knight is a beast when you have another dragon on the field. The only reason I got second in that match was that I couldn't get any 3* units. If I had one or two I could have rolled to first.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Just played a game with knights/dragons and did really well. The changes to those alliances made a huge difference. The Dragon Knight is a beast when you have another dragon on the field. The only reason I got second in that match was that I couldn't get any 3* units. If I had one or two I could have rolled to first.
Same issue as well, except the 1st place was dominated from the start, they had reached level 10 by round 23 and just steamrolled everyone despite having tier 2 and 3 heroes only. If I had been more careful instead of being flippant with my rerolls I could have had a 3* Treant, which automatically rose my Lone Druid to 3*. Otherwise Venom+Dragon Knight+Chaos Knight+Anti-Mage+Bat Rider+Witch Doctor was doing wonder for me. And yeah, I finally did it, my 1st 2nd Place was today, but I leveled up and it robbed me of a screenshot.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my second win. Knights are hella op now imo, esp with Scaled. And DK with another Dragon is really good.
I wish I could have this team on every match xD
cj4kSpr.jpg

I think I reached round 40 for the first time. Both of us had 5-6 3-star heroes on the last battle.
5q98J93.jpg

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
bMYeMjl.jpg

My Anti-Knight+Mage/Troll build whenever I get the DH Passive.

Holy fuck this TB when in Meta literally 1 shots anyone.

Last enemy was a Knight+Mage and it was close every round, good thing my TB had BKB.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's everyone opinion on levels? I almost always finish my matches at level 9, sometimes 8, almost never 10. It's rare to see people reach 10 at my level, and very often, I've noticed the first players to be eliminated are the ones with one or two levels more than the average.
It costs a lot of money to reach 10, and I only do it when I'm satisfied with my team and the cost of re-rolling to get "the" unit I miss would be too expensive.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
What's everyone opinion on levels? I almost always finish my matches at level 9, sometimes 8, almost never 10. It's rare to see people reach 10 at my level, and very often, I've noticed the first players to be eliminated are the ones with one or two levels more than the average.
It costs a lot of money to reach 10, and I only do it when I'm satisfied with my team and the cost of re-rolling to get "the" unit I miss would be too expensive.
If you have more than 50 gold you can spend 10 gold every round for "free" and get it back every round from interest and normal win/loss payment. So if you're managing your economy it's often worth it just to get ahead on higher tier units. Since interest is calculated when battle starts you can spend the gold on exp and get it back.

Messy

Oct 25, 2017
I played a few rounds of TFT today and it really made me appreciate how intuitive the UI in underlords already is at this stage aside from a few things that need ironing out.
I like how TFT doesn't feel as isolated though and hope Valve will find a satisfying way to allow for more interaction between the players.

Yo!

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hate how everyone I know is very likely to abandon this for TFT today.

Just played my first match of TFT, and it's missing so many features this had right from the start. I don't know shit about LoL, and pretty much everything in the game seems to boil down to remembering what that thing from LoL does.
  • Nothing keeping track of how many of a single unit you already own.
  • Nothing keeping track of how many of a particular racial or class you own.
  • Nothing keeping track of how much gold and what level each player is (as far as I can tell).
  • You have no idea what the character and items are during carousel unless you've memorized them all.
And that's what it really seems to come down to. Memorization. Really unfriendly to newcomers. I hate that this is going to be the most popular auto chess, because at the moment, I really don't feel like it deserves it.

Also, I thought one of the benefits of it coming to the LoL client would be that it would include all the cool stat tracking features of the main game, but absolutely nothing from TFT appears to be tracked? Doesn't show up in match history or anything.

I played a few rounds of TFT today and it really made me appreciate how intuitive the UI in underlords already is at this stage aside from a few things that need ironing out.
I like how TFT doesn't feel as isolated though and hope Valve will find a satisfying way to allow for more interaction between the players.

Yo!
TFT has text chat. I think that's a huge mistake. So far I've only seen it used for good (I was in second place, but didn't know why the other dude's Garen was dodging all my Draven's attacks, so I asked him, and he told me it was Phantom Dancer). But there's no commendation system in TFT as far as I can tell, so I don't see anything reinforcing good behavior.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
The only baffling decision Underlords has made so far to me is removing the couriers. They add so much personality and getting candies for wins was a great system I hope they replicate. I know we will get Underlords but I just hope they exist on the board and aren't just relegated to boring hearthstone like portraits. The world needs more life.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yo!
I'm not sure how they do that for mobile
I hate how everyone I know is very likely to abandon this for TFT today.

Just played my first match of TFT, and it's missing so many features this had right from the start. I don't know shit about LoL, and pretty much everything in the game seems to boil down to remembering what that thing from LoL does.
  • Nothing keeping track of how many of a single unit you already own.
  • Nothing keeping track of how many of a particular racial or class you own.
  • Nothing keeping track of how much gold and what level each player is (as far as I can tell).
  • You have no idea what the character and items are during carousel unless you've memorized them all.
And that's what it really seems to come down to. Memorization. Really unfriendly to newcomers. I hate that this is going to be the most popular auto chess, because at the moment, I really don't feel like it deserves it.

Also, I thought one of the benefits of it coming to the LoL client would be that it would include all the cool stat tracking features of the main game, but absolutely nothing from TFT appears to be tracked? Doesn't show up in match history or anything.

TFT has text chat. I think that's a huge mistake. So far I've only seen it used for good (I was in second place, but didn't know why the other dude's Garen was dodging all my Draven's attacks, so I asked him, and he told me it was Phantom Dancer). But there's no commendation system in TFT as far as I can tell, so I don't see anything reinforcing good behavior.
I mean Dota Auto Chess is just superior to all of them right now for balance and game.

10x ouch
vCl3YO7.jpg

Messy

Oct 25, 2017
I agree on text chat, did not know the game had it and that was not what I had in mind. I like that you and your opponent see the same board state but that is mostly a fun feature for when you are playing with friends and chatting about the current match on the side. I also like the couriers and am a bit sad Underlords got rid of them.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree on text chat, did not know the game had it and that was not what I had in mind. I like that you and your opponent see the same board state but that is mostly a fun feature for when you are playing with friends and chatting about the current match on the side. I also like the couriers and am a bit sad Underlords got rid of them.
I fully expect hand puppet cosmetics

If they go imps again it will probably fail.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I really do thin that both Underlords and TFT will find their niche. Putting such a heavy focus on mobile for Underlords was definitely a great idea.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Many Streamers have bounties available for TFT in their bounty boards aka "getting paid to stream".
You shouldn't try to extrapolate future player numbers from those current viewer numbers.
It's also the snowball effect. Streamers want views so they play the new hotness. TFT having so many viewers means people who want more views will play it.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
If TFT has shorter matches, that is going to cause a gravity pull for players IMO. Underlords current pacing is an issue and games that take 40 minutes with little to no payoff (other than a rank up) is not seen as a positive time investment.

Underlords needs a candy system or to release their battlepass ASAP to stay ahead of the curve and keep up player retention.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If TFT has shorter matches, that is going to cause a gravity pull for players IMO. Underlords current pacing is an issue and games that take 40 minutes with little to no payoff (other than a rank up) is not seen as a positive time investment.

Underlords needs a candy system or to release their battlepass ASAP to stay ahead of the curve and keep up player retention.
Valve add mtx 🙏

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
League has always trounced DotA in regular twitch viewership and this is and will continue to be the case with the AutoChess clones. Underlord has a ton of players, especially in Russia and China (like DotA), and it's on mobile which TFT is not and has no plans to be. Underlords will be fine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
League has always trounced DotA in regular twitch viewership and this is and will continue to be the case with the AutoChess clones. Underlord has a ton of players, especially in Russia and China (like DotA), and it's on mobile which TFT is not and has no plans to be. Underlords will be fine.
China doesn't really use Twitch, they have their own streaming platforms

Tony

Oct 27, 2017

This right here. As a player new to any autochess, I played the tutorial for Underlords last night and it took about 30-45 minutes. I won, but then it just sat there in a "waiting" state indefinitely until I had to just return to the main menu. I don't think that's the intended conclusion to the tutorial but it made that time investment feel like wasted time instead of at least a check mark on the tutorial section.

That sounds petty af I guess but it just illustrates the need for some sort of carrot making a big difference when there's so much competition right now.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Can mobile players even stream?

Like as long as DU is one of the best auto chess games on mobile, it'll always have a solid population

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

TFT Games seem to be around the same length.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Reached Boss today. Feels good.
It's always a matter of context. If I'm not getting completely busted each round and have 50+ gold I go for 2 times xp each round with the 10 interest I get. If I have like 3 units that are close to leveling up, the chance I get one while rerolling is high, so I reroll until I'm at 50 again.

If get steamrolled I reroll more often, obviously. But otherwise there's just no reason to.

If I have some win or lose streaks going, I ususally manage to be level 10 by round 30-35

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not about level, it's about team composition

What's the point in getting 10 heroes when you have four or five ⭐⭐⭐

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Really depends on your lineup. If you have a better lineup to win and not need to level up, then you should be fine, but if you don't, don't immediately start leveling up out of desperation. Instead only go up an level when you have something else lined up to add to the board that would benefit the rest of your team. For instance I was in a game where I was level 9, and had a Tidehunter, I got a Gyro as well, but had the Tidehunter out there, and didn't want to remove anything as that would break alliances. I was about halfway to 10, I said fuck it and just bought all the way to 10, put the Gyro on the board and it worked out extremely well for me. I think I have had games where I won at level 8 or 9.

Bottom line, buy levels when you actually need them, don't buy them just to buy them. If you have quality, you won't need quantity as much.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really depends on your lineup. If you have a better lineup to win and not need to level up, then you should be fine, but if you don't, don't immediately start leveling up out of desperation. Instead only go up an level when you have something else lined up to add to the board that would benefit the rest of your team. For instance I was in a game where I was level 9, and had a Tidehunter, I got a Gyro as well, but had the Tidehunter out there, and didn't want to remove anything as that would break alliances. I was about halfway to 10, I said fuck it and just bought all the way to 10, put the Gyro on the board and it worked out extremely well for me. I think I have had games where I won at level 8 or 9.

Bottom line, buy levels when you actually need them, don't buy them just to buy them. If you have quality, you won't need quantity as much.
Pro tips
- wait after a Creep round to level up if you are close to one because you are usually going to win a Creep round and you get the 5 gold + interest and it won't affect your current win streak

- Also if you have leave your exp at 23/24 or 31/32 the round before you can get the next level's draw without having to pay the full price

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Pro tips
- wait after a Creep round to level up if you are close to one because you are usually going to win a Creep round and you get the 5 gold + interest and it won't affect your current win streak

- Also if you have leave your exp at 23/24 or 31/32 the round before you can get the next level's draw without having to pay the full price
Another thing I forgot to mention there too:

Don't spend your money on rerolls in the early game! Save those for late game, early on you'll likely be able to adapt and roll with things pretty easily. Sure, you aren't going to be cranking out level 3's by Round 10, but Rerolling a lot early wasn't going to do that either.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I assume most people are dealing with crashes on iOS? Is happening on both my iPad and iPhone. Probably happening about once per game (thank goodness for the reconnect option).

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing I forgot to mention there too:

Don't spend your money on rerolls in the early game! Save those for late game, early on you'll likely be able to adapt and roll with things pretty easily. Sure, you aren't going to be cranking out level 3's by Round 10, but Rerolling a lot early wasn't going to do that either.

I don't think always saving your money is the best choice, sometimes securing tier 2/3 units works out better. Rolling early has it's uses mattering on what your opponents are doing and what build you might be going for. Like inventors I'll sometimes roll early to guarantee some tier 2s, save midgame, then rush tier 5 units.

Saving money is the safe strat, works wonders against newer players too.

brightroar

Jan 29, 2019
Hamilton, New Zealand
Hadn't played proper DOTA in years, and was pretty meh on the concept after watching footage of the Auto Chess Mod, but Underlords has hooked me. Only get to play 1 or 2 games a day but finally had my first win, feels good!

DfFvYzj.png

Elliot Pudge

Oct 25, 2017
good stuff in both games right now

social aspects are superior in TFT

overall polish, UI, and aesthetic are waaay better in underlords

whoever was saying TFT has a better UI is outta their minds

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
good stuff in both games right now

social aspects are superior in TFT

overall polish, UI, and aesthetic are waaay better in underlords

whoever was saying TFT has a better UI is outta their minds

This is about where I'm at. TFT is fun as well but it's a different game. Item system is the best of all the games. UI is dogshit. Underlords has the best presentation at the moment. Also, it's funny that both games moved away from the DAC/moba/RTS unit info panel at the bottom of the screen and I think that's the superior UI choice of the 3 games.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah both games have their strenghts.
While being able to combine items in TFT adds depth, the rng of the item system makes it completely inferior to Underlords. The draft in TFT is very cool though.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
If there is a reason I stick to Underlords (Aside from preferring he visuals it's this level of support. New update.

• Based on community feedback, we've adjusted opponent selection weight to be even more biased against folks you've played recently.
  • Adjusted AI pathfinding: Units will only try to jump into a beneficial aura's range if it's only 1 cell away (down from 2).
  • Fixed bug that prevented Assassins from jumping.
  • Unstoppable (Warrior Alliance Item): Fixed some cases that caused this item to not work reliably.
  • Silver Lining: Fixed it granting 2 gold instead of 1.
  • Abaddon: Base Attack Time changed: 1.3 -> 1.5
  • Omniknight: Damage changed: [50-60, 100-120, 200-240] -> [40-50, 80-100, 160-200]
  • Dragon Knight: Elder Dragon Form bonus damage changed: [100, 150, 200] -> [50, 100, 150]
  • Dragon Knight: Elder Dragon Form is now marked as passive and cannot be silenced.
  • Dragon Knight: Now properly aims at the targets in front.
  • Dragon Knight: Fixed bug that caused Elder Form to take 0.5 seconds to start.
  • Tusk: Fixed Walrus Punch sometimes sending people into space.

Status
Not open for further replies.