• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

schwupp

Oct 27, 2017
how can you turn a loosing game around?
if i get behind in level of my heroes i have no clue what to do.
money is not enough to spend it on needed rerolls ... if i spend it on rerolls i kind of never draw the once i need.
and thats gg for the game ...

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
money is not enough to spend it on needed rerolls ... if i spend it on rerolls i kind of never draw the once i need.
Imho better to spend on exp than rolls
It's quite hard to pull the hero you want if you do the math

Untitled.jpg

You can guesstimate what price of hero you can expect based on your level/rank and the types of heroes that your opponents do not have will have a higher rate but if your opponent is also looking for the same heroes it might not favor you

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on how bad you are losing but generally it's about if you can quell the bleeding within ~9 gold(of rerolls) if not you are better off sandbagging and praying to rng. Worst thing you can do is overspend on quelling the bleeding and tanking your economy completely. The other option is tank your economy by leveling but you only can do that if you're sure that this level up will let you win the next couple of rounds without spending too much additional gold.

Also sometimes one of the best ways to come back is accept that you're not getting what you need and being open minded about what other units can be valuable on their own to turn a game. Stuff like Tides, Disruptor, Gyro, Techies, Lich, SF, Razor even if they do not fit into your gameplan at all those units can be very high value on their own and change the game. It's easy to tunnel vision.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Interested in trying this out, could anyone run by me how this is balanced compared to normal auto chess? Is individual unit strength still king, or is synergy more important here etc etc

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Interested in trying this out, could anyone run by me how this is balanced compared to normal auto chess? Is individual unit strength still king, or is synergy more important here etc etc

Very similiar but I think synergy might be a bit stronger here than the original. The item system is less rng now, which is a huge improvement imo.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Why are the hero's in tiers? Does higher tier automatically equal better?
Higher tiers come with a lesser chance and higher cost. A higher tier is not necessarily better than a lower rank. Higher tiers often come with important skills while the basic stats are often same'ish with lower tiers.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Any power value combinations of single items + single unit people can share? Stuff like if you get mask of madness try to get a slark. The other one seems to be arc warden refresher although from when I tried it that combo needs a crystal maiden to fully shine.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I would love if there was a faster mode. I enjoy the loop, but the games take too long for some situations I'd like to play it in.

Did the original mod ever add a mode like that? Do we think that's something they could do in the future?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love if there was a faster mode. I enjoy the loop, but the games take too long for some situations I'd like to play it in.

Did the original mod ever add a mode like that? Do we think that's something they could do in the future?
Nah. The mod is much clunkier.
It's meant to be a sitdown strategy game.

No clue what Valve is trying to make.

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
I'm good at getting 2nd and 3rd, but first place usually dominates to the point where it's not even close.

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg
I just lost a game after having 15 winstreaks, smashed by the god damn underdog player with 25 hp who got some kind of stealth ability making his whole team invisible for 2-3 seconds at the start of the turn. What the fuck? Dark magic. Yeah someone asked how you turn around a losing game..

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I just lost a game after having 15 winstreaks, smashed by the god damn underdog player with 25 hp who got some kind of stealth ability making his whole team invisible for 2-3 seconds at the start of the turn. What the fuck? Dark magic. Yeah someone asked how you turn around a losing game..
The assassin item lol.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
This game seems great!

So far only been playing the medium bot, with the "go at your own pace" option enabled so I can click through to the book thing and look up what the heroes do. Win a game using mostly scrappers, lost (3rd) just now using assassin + savage but I couldn't get the assassin 6-bonus.

Pretty tough to know what to go for a lot of the time, I'm sure it'll get easier when I know what most things do.

Enchantress + Lone Druid seem great bang for the buck?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Bloodseeker is pretty good once he gets to three. He carried me to the win. I guess the level two techie also helped...lol

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finally gave it a shot. The game is a lot of fun, but the matches take way too long.

The tutorial is also awful. It doesn't go into detail about matching hero attributes or much of anything.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that alliance variety... am I making a mistake by trying to spec into only 2 or 3 alliances per match?

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried both ways, I seem to rank higher when I go for more alliances, but only getting the first or second tier of the alliance bonus.
So do you just shotgun and go for as many alliances as you can? Or do you focus on specific ones strategically?

Also, do you go for the strongest heroes in each alliance, or just whomever?

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So do you just shotgun and go for as many alliances as you can? Or do you focus on specific ones strategically?

Also, do you go for the strongest heroes in each alliance, or just whomever?
I usually start the first alliance with a heavy tank guy, then from there after the first round of items dropped I try and pick a passive bonus for a second alliance.

Like troll +25 % speed for instance. Even if I don't even have a troll yet. Then I get the trolls and work from there logically trying to get as many alliances as possible with the perfect matches.

After the first two to three guys I get, I try and only pick rare (blue) and up characters.

Then I arrange the characters with the beefy dudes up front and the casters towards the back.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Damn, that alliance variety... am I making a mistake by trying to spec into only 2 or 3 alliances per match?

Going into a match with any kind of set game plan is the wrong way to go. You need to work with what you're given. It's generally good to build with synergies in mind early on, but you need to know when to quite on an idea if draws aren't going your way. A strong late game team with zero synergies is capable of beating teams built around them.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Going into a match with any kind of set game plan is the wrong way to go. You need to work with what you're given. It's generally good to build with synergies in mind early on, but you need to know when to quite on an idea if draws aren't going your way. A strong late game team with zero synergies is capable of beating teams built around them.
Oh yeah, I'm not entering matches with pre-planned sets. But, for example, I got a Scrappy/Inventor alliance going early, and then added Assassin's for damage, then I basically didn't add much else except for some Scaled heroes later. So, four alliances, two of which were at max benefit. But apparently that might be less effective than just choosing a whole whack of heroes?

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
I do not understand how ranking work. I got 1st place and went to bed. Not rank up or anything. I play a game to get 2nd place...i drop 2 rank.
I am so confused!

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I won three games today, one of them with a perfect 100 health remaining! Didn't think it was possible.

I totally go in with a game plan. I either build for Elusive or Warrior, but I try to be flexible early on until I can get some heroes I need.

I also save money quite often, trying to stay above each 10's tier for more interest when I can. Typically I lose for a while until I turn it around for the victory.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they add profession and cosmetics soon. The lack of these killed artifact.

Still sad about that. Artifact was a great game

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Do your synergies maintain their effect throughout the battle even as units die? I think they do, but unsure.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Tried my best but this is quite frankly devastatingly boring. Just buy some units, place them out, hope that your opponents didn't get a luckier draw aaaaand they have already four 2 star heroes lovely... And then you passively watch your units get smacked about round after round.

And the matches are so fucking long that if you got a bad streak, welp, fuck you, you can't give up and start a new game, you're stuck with this shit for another 40 minutes cause of forced reconnect.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I actually kinda enjoy playing it with friends. It's random as fuck, but that's kinda the point of it. I don't even mind the length of the matches tbh. But I don't see me playing it alone. I think chatting with friends while playing it is a big part of the fun. Why is there no text chat? All the randomness could lead to some fun conversations, lol.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
So... how important is the placement on the chessboard? I placed a ranged character at the back of my own line and it just teleport itself to the back of enemy's side at the start of the round.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am consistently middle (3rd to 5th), but I don't really know what I'm doing. Money management, I get it, but I generally take the same units or close to, without much thought. Every time I try another type of units, the results are bad.
Is there an agreed list of which units are to be aimed for, and which are to be avoided at all costs?
Also, placement. I don't know what to do besides very basic placement. I tried to protect my ranged unit by putting them at the bottom or even caged by melee units, to protect them from teleports, but then the melee get annihilated by the enemy's ranged units.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Finished last on my first game, second game I placed 5th and won the third game. What now, after I've mastered the game already!
CF33695B0842F1FD1BCA88E01A32B4575323FFEB

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finished last on my first game, second game I placed 5th and won the third game. What now, after I've mastered the game already!
CF33695B0842F1FD1BCA88E01A32B4575323FFEB
Congrats! Next time I'd go for a third assasin though lol. The two Bloodseekers don't stack. Also not sure what the crystal maiden is doing there, you have like one relevant unit (Enigma) that needs the ult asap. Warlock's cooldown is way too long for the mana regen to matter.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
So... how important is the placement on the chessboard? I placed a ranged character at the back of my own line and it just teleport itself to the back of enemy's side at the start of the round.
It can be the deciding factor of winning or losing. That said it doesn't matter early until only a few people are left. Given who you face is random you can't really adjust the formation to optimize for each round so you need to have a general formation that works against everyone.

Stuff like having 1 tanky unit in the row closest to the back helps A LOT if you face assassins especially if that unit is a stun unit that can survive long enough. Another easy formation if you don't have to care about clumping cause nobody builds aoe is you can put your units into a checkerboard formation in the corner with always one space free room between each unit. That seems to confuse a lot of the ai and the units in the middle of that formation often survive way longer.
----
Surprised seeing some of the synergies people are winning with cause in my games these get demolished.
Dunno why but unless you build a decent tanking line in the front I get annihilated. Even lost with a summoning build(had the stone and 4 feral) recently exactly because of that against someone. I even had had lycan 3 and refresher arc 2 + maiden 3 in that summon build. But it was useless against 6 warriors 3 mage with lich + razor + kotl. Even had 2 naga right before the end to try to adjust but it was useless.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
played a game where i got a 3 star Sniper. you don't see it too often but that's a damn fine unit. who could have guessed that being able to delete 3000 HP with your ability is pretty good?

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Congrats! Next time I'd go for a third assasin though lol. The two Bloodseekers don't stack. Also not sure what the crystal maiden is doing there, you have like one relevant unit (Enigma) that needs the ult asap. Warlock's cooldown is way too long for the mana regen to matter.
Thanks for the tips! Never played Autochess and never watched any videos of these games either, so I have no idea what I really should be doing. Been mostly picking heroes I like to play with in Dota 2 =D I saw few people saying Maiden to be flexible and high value pick, so I've been picking her.

Just got another win, but didn't get the victory screen so no screenshot :< Let's see if I can keep the winning streak up.

Last edited:

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips! Never played Autochess and never watched any videos of these games either, so I have no idea what I really should be doing. Been mostly picking heroes I like to play with in Dota 2 =D I saw few people saying Maiden to be flexible and high value pick, so I've been picking her.

Just got another win, but didn't get the victory screen so no screenshot :< Let's see if I can keep the winning streak up.
She is but she needs to be in a lineup with units that use skills that need to come out fast or are low on cooldown which is a lot of units. I think she still wasn't entirely useless above but hard to say without seeing the game so often I had games where the faster aoe just nuked an important unit out of orbit.

Like maybe she wasn't as effective as she could be above but depending on what you got in your rolls she might still have been one of the best choices. Also you getting her lowers the chances for everyone else that can use her better to get her to the higher levels. Cause fuck damn you don't want to see a maiden in an advanced mage lineup that feels just like game over.
That's why I maintain that she is one of the best value picks that everyone should probably consider picking up. After that it's more hey maybe we can find units that profit from it better but that comes with experience.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Game is fun but that pacing ....
I wouldn't really mind the game length ( well not too much ) if most of that time was spent playing. Here I feel like I'm playing some kind of blitz chess when it comes to me actually playing, leading to some miss play because of the lack of time, but with very lengthy animations in between each move which lead to the game not actually beingfeeling like a fast game.

It also boggle my mind how they were able to make the PC UI worst than the mobile one by somehow forgetting to show us what is the characters skill on the recruitment screen ?

Speaking of UI, we need a better way to see each charater alliance on the screen, to make hero swaping a much more comfortable/fast thing to do.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to make a tier list for underlords units based on how you'd prioritize your pick but it's hard given you can't account for all these conditional circumstances.

That said just thinking about how and why'd you pick something I came away with 2 more units that I think get ignored by people that tunnel vision into a certain strategy too much. I think in midgame Razor and Kunkka trump any synergistic value you could get out of a majority of units by quite a bit, Shadowfiend as well probably? That said he weirdly doesn't feel as strong as he did in Autochess especially at level 1 not sure why just a gut feeling but in autochess when I played Razor/SF were kind of interchangable. In my experience these 2/3 units can salvage failing lineups for recovery on their own and can be kept at level 2 for really long until you find something fitting better into your team. Basically when trying to experiment I still often get these 2 into my midgame savage/heartless/demon hunter/etc comps cause they bandaid my way to lategame.

Also been recently really trying a lot of savage combinations and unless you get the bleed it feels kind of average to weak. Even with the bleed(never had double bleed though so that could bring it to super op) you can counter it at decently low cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.