• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 5398

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Each player now has their own courier automatically"

LOL im reinstalling just to see 5 couriers running on the map lol.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did they revert the map changes with that cluster fuck of a jungle design and all those steps and trees blocking paths?
That's when they lost me.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
The longer a game goes the more characters are like super heroes with a flying side kick and you have to control both. There are a million changes that can be summed up by this generally, but just the power ceiling of everyone rose dramatically.

A role that has long been undesirable in a team game(and often played by selfish players) has now become desirable to the team and potentially very game impacting.

It isn't easy to sum up a patch like this for someone who doesn't play. These changes are the opposite of safe. You would really not see this kind of balancing in any live game. Icefrog (the main man balancing) is nuts, and after all these years has earned so much trust and goodwill that seeing a patch this crazy stirs excitement in the community rather than skepticism. It wont be perfect but Valve reacts quickly and the game will change a good amount in the coming weeks/months to address feedback.

Seems like a great summary, thanks.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With all that RNG, it's time to bring my boy back, Icefrog:

TyiBa9R.jpg

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
For someone who doesn't play DOTA 2, can you put the scale of these changes into perspective?

I'd say this is the second major overhaul of the game since its release, the previous one being patch 7.00 which was also huge. It remains to be seen which of those two are more impactful, but it's definitely up there. You have two major new mechanics added to the game between the neutral item drops and the outposts, two new heroes, plus hundreds of balance changes. The net effect of all this is that player roles will be majorly impacted in ways that aren't easy to predict, supports in particular will be shaken up entirely.

The neutral drop addition also just adds a new vector for injecting a huge load of new content to the game, as it's increased the number of items overall by about 40%. The new items have a bunch of unique and wacky abilities, which will add a lot of variety to the game.

They've made loads of changes to the ultra late-game too, and it looks like things will just get absolutely crazy once you get past 70+ minutes between the level 30 heroes carrying tier 5 neutral drops with 6-slotted couriers. It seems geared towards giving players a bunch of new toys to close out the games sooner, which is a good change.

How viable would it be to start playing now? I've barely played the game before.
It's a great time to start playing imo, everyone else is just getting used to the changes too and you won't be burdened by any assumptions about how things used to work. It's obviously still a really complex and difficult game, but it's equally fascinating and rewarding. I suggest you pick one or two heroes you like and then just play them a bunch as you learn the game.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Did they revert the map changes with that cluster fuck of a jungle design and all those steps and trees blocking paths?
That's when they lost me.
Jungle areas are definately much less clustered now and you don't have many hide / juke opportunities.
Entrances to the jungles are kinda the same but the insides are pretty much open area for team fights.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Now I have to control my own courier ? Micro-manage at least 2 units all the time ? Man, low tier player can't handle this...

Oct 27, 2017
Are all of the Creep Items consumables or are there just a small handful?

Snapfire looks very fun. Void Spirit looks great for carry players.

Game is gonna turn wacky this patch.

Edit: FREE WARDS !?!?

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i need to start watching dota again cuz the tourneys on this patch are gonna be nutty

UltraJay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'd say this is the second major overhaul of the game since its release, the previous one being patch 7.00 which was also huge. It remains to be seen which of those two are more impactful, but it's definitely up there. You have two major new mechanics added to the game between the neutral item drops and the outposts, two new heroes, plus hundreds of balance changes. The net effect of all this is that player roles will be majorly impacted in ways that aren't easy to predict, supports in particular will be shaken up entirely.

The neutral drop addition also just adds a new vector for injecting a huge load of new content to the game, as it's increased the number of items overall by about 40%. The new items have a bunch of unique and wacky abilities, which will add a lot of variety to the game.

They've made loads of changes to the ultra late-game too, and it looks like things will just get absolutely crazy once you get past 70+ minutes between the level 30 heroes carrying tier 5 neutral drops with 6-slotted couriers. It seems geared towards giving players a bunch of new toys to close out the games sooner, which is a good change.

It's a great time to start playing imo, everyone else is just getting used to the changes too and you won't be burdened by any assumptions about how things used to work. It's obviously still a really complex and difficult game, but it's equally fascinating and rewarding. I suggest you pick one or two heroes you like and then just play them a bunch as you learn the game.
The whole buying items thing I have trouble with is that there are so many of them. I had fun playing the sniper I think... unless they are a horrible character.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Now I have to control my own courier ? Micro-manage at least 2 units all the time ? Man, low tier player can't handle this...
For most of the game it's actually less micro-management. You now have your own personal courier, and so you dont have to worry about other player's needing to use the team courier.

It's only late game when things could get micro-managey, but I really don't think it will come up very much in low tier games to be honest. It's all really ultra late game stuff in a patch that seems to emphasise closing the game out earlier. This is my understanding of how it works:
  • At level 25 couriers grant the ability to use items.
  • Couriers don't have mana, stats or mana regen by default.
  • You can purchase a mana item to give the courier mana, at which point they can use item abilities which cost mana.
  • couriers are now slower than the previous patch
  • If you lose your courier you lose your passive gold income
So using the courier actively as a kind of second hero is only available really late in the game, requires a significant investment, and is really risky due to low hp and slower speed of the courier. I imagine most low tier players will skip it entirely and just spend that cash on upgrading their hero, no extra micro required.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
The whole buying items thing I have trouble with is that there are so many of them. I had fun playing the sniper I think... unless they are a horrible character.
The guides are a great addition for helping with this specific problem. It tells you all the viable items to buy for your particular hero.

I recommend the Torte De Lini guides.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
If anyone is new or is returning and feels overwhelmed, feel free to reach out via PM and I'll pass you my Steam info!

I'm a 3.5k scrub if anyone else wants to play. :')

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There are currently 2 or 3 (or 200) bugs in this patch and some are amazing:

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jungle areas are definately much less clustered now and you don't have many hide / juke opportunities.
Entrances to the jungles are kinda the same but the insides are pretty much open area for team fights.
Hmmm, maybe I'll install it just to see.
But that 6.82 or whatever update really pissed me off, and Siege started becoming good at the same time and I jumped on that as the main MP game.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I can already see the backlash when one really lucky RNG item drop wins a team a tourney.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Shame I'm out of town so can't test the patch, definitely will play again and try it out

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
Wow this is pretty immense, with my hectic schedule at the moment it's probably not a good idea to get back into such an addictive game but at the very least I think I'll spectate a few of my old mates and catch some competitive.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the perfect time to start playing again since everyone is a new player again essentially.

Although a good change, I am slightly worried about the wards being free since now there isn't really any barrier to the mid player or somone just buying up the wards to use for themselves or placing them in dumb spots.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Void Spirit is gonna get nerfed hard, his kit is too good.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Wow, can't believe they made it so playing position 5 is no longer pure hell! Will definitely enjoy watching other people play it and see all the changes.

Oct 27, 2017
BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADEMasta

Seems like he was stuck in the void for some time, therefore coming with the purple skin as a default.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Pudge not being able kill self with rot is such a nerf. Love how they basically made permanent stealth Riki's ult again.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This is DOTA 3 basically..
Yeah exactly.

The game is too fundamentally different to call it Dota 2.

The tier 1-4 items aren't that a game changer unless you pick the right hero AND get an item they can abuse through synergy.

Tier 5 ensures even poverty 5 players who would still have only brown boots 40 minutes in should become six slotted in 50 minutes.

The economics of items are really different now because the opportunity costs of farming vs pushing, lane shoving and fighting have now been negatively impacted once tier 5s are possible to get.

The side shop removal for outposts is the second fundamental change. Everyone having their own courier offsets item access but now xp farming over gold farming is going to be something certain heros should consider based on their tool sets.

Overall I like what I'm seeing except for three things.

Unlocking all talents at 30 is terrible idea and just gets us back to the old way end game heros were balanced but with a lot more complexity.

I don't see this change lasting more than 6 months after many attempts to rein it in.

Pirate hat as tier 5 is unmitigated trash. It stands out really badly against the others.

I really don't understand the mud golem nerf. It was unwarranted especially after every other creep got massive buffs.

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah exactly.

The game is too fundamentally different to call it Dota 2.

The tier 1-4 items aren't that a game changer unless you pick the right hero AND get an item they can abuse through synergy.

Tier 5 ensures even poverty 5 players who would still have only brown boots 40 minutes in should become six slotted in 50 minutes.

Tier 5 Items are only available after the match has gone on for longer than 70 minutes

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
Dota VR. Have to physically throw Pudge's hook.

Dota's had VR spectating for years, and it's actually kind of amazing. Seeing teamfights at real scale is a trip, even if the game is mostly impossible to follow at ground level.

Where's the 7 hour purge patch analysis

He was streaming all day yesterday, so it's up on his Twitch archives. If people notice Stadia running poorly today it's because Purge is using all of Google's resources to process his Youtube upload.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Dota's had VR spectating for years, and it's actually kind of amazing. Seeing teamfights at real scale is a trip, even if the game is mostly impossible to follow at ground level.
Except that they broke Dota VR a while back and it has been broken for months. You can't press anything to go spectate matches, and Valve doesn't seem to care

Uriah

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of this patch was made to address the position 5 role being awful in pubs.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Except that they broke Dota VR a while back and it has been broken for months. You can't press anything to go spectate matches, and Valve doesn't seem to care

Damn this is disappointing to hear - I just picked up a VR headset and was wondering if VR was still a thing for spectating.

Hopefully I'll be attending TI10 in person at least...

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I expect the random jungle item idea to either be scrapped or completely overhauled before long. I think it's gonna be real difficult to balance that properly. I think it needs to be more predictable.