• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

This tweet was the best format for it, but here's the official site for the prize pool: https://www.dota2.com/international/battlepass

I expect this will easily break $35 million USD by the end of it. The International was supposed to have happened last week in Stockholm, but it got delayed to an undetermined time due to COVID. The prize pool is still going since the Battle Pass ends in mid September.

25% of proceeds from Battle Pass and levels for it contribute to the prize pool. Also since it broke last year, everyone that owns Battle Pass gets an extra 10 levels!

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Incredible that they've done it again. I wonder what they'll do assuming TI10 happens next year. Will they have another Battle pass or just let this one rock?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
DOTA2 being the objectively best game ever made helps a lot, but god damn if this isn't insane.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Didn't think they'd do it again this year. Or last year or the year before. Really crazy since it seems like Dota is having trouble retaining players.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I see a few friends at level 1K and above...

How much do some of y'all spend on this game?
I only bought the level 100 start Battle Pass and the two bundles they had a month or two ago. I'm pretty close to 500 right now, and plan on buying my way to Windrunner if I don't make it there normally by the end, but it's very realistic I will make it without buying more levels.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Dota was loosing players.

It is unfortunately but the compendium is a big money maker. This isn't to disparage how inherently great the game is but the reality is that the game just isn't accessible for new players and is in the later stages of its product cycle. I would venture to guess more people watch DOTA2 at this point than actually play it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
tenor.gif

And it will go up quite a bit higher.

It is unfortunately but the compendium is a big money maker. This isn't to disparage how inherently great the game is but the reality is that the game just isn't accessible for new players and is in the later stages of its product cycle. I would venture to guess more people watch DOTA2 at this point than actually play it.
lol no.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How does the prize get bigger every year even though the player base is dropping every year

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
As someone, who doesn't want to pay 150€ for 3 cosmetics I would like to have ehhhh, make it cheaaper and I would actually buy levels.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
As someone, who doesn't want to pay 150€ for 3 cosmetics I would like to have ehhhh, make it cheaaper and I would actually buy levels.

You get a ton of cosmetics for the compendium. I just appreciate that the base game is completely free and none of the mechanics are tied to any monetization.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
You get a ton of cosmetics for the compendium. I just appreciate that the base game is completely free and none of the mechanics are tied to any monetization.
I also do, but I still think they are way to expensive. Other games aren't any better, since they prey on whales. I just wish some games would go with
cheaper micro transactions so more people would buy them. I would definitively spend more money on cosmetics in games, if they would cost more
then a full indie game.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Feels like it to me..but of course that's anecdotal. I don't have concrete proof. Just see it shoot up to the top of Twitch during the international only with huge viewership numbers. And then the rest of the time it struggles to stay in the top 10.
I mean, just checking right now. Middle of the afternoon on a work day in the US

B2M5Gcx.png

I feel like it isn't even a question. Sure there are lots of spectators, but it's like suggesting there are more people watching any game than playing it. It's just a bit silly. Base may be slowly declining, but the game is clearly not struggling.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, just checking right now. Middle of the afternoon on a work day in the US

B2M5Gcx.png

I feel like it isn't even a question. Sure there are lots of spectators, but it's like suggesting there are more people watching any game than playing it. It's just a bit silly. Base may be slowly declining, but the game is clearly not struggling.

That's good to hear...I'm trying to jump back in myself as I'll have a bit more free time until July of next year. Of course, after I upgrade my potato box of a PC.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
DOTA2 being the objectively best one of the best games ever made and maintained helps a lot, but god damn if this isn't insane.
Just cutting down the hyperbole a bit but also want to really highlight how incredible the work has been on the balance over the years.
When I look at any other game balance wise it all seems like amateur hour(basically any and all modern blizzard games starting with WoW are a fucking joke balance wise).

Since I followed the game(I say followed cause I play it very rarely anymore) in 2012-13 I think I have only like 2 patches that I absolutely despised 1 being the sniper troll patch the other being the very recent patch that killed the rubberband for some time.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Just cutting down the hyperbole a bit but also want to really highlight how incredible the work has been on the balance over the years.
When I look at any other game balance wise it all seems like amateur hour(basically any and all modern blizzard games starting with WoW are a fucking joke balance wise).

Since I followed the game(I say followed cause I play it very rarely anymore) in 2012-13 I think I have only like 2 patches that I absolutely despised 1 being the sniper troll patch the other being the very recent patch that killed the rubberband for some time.
The hoho haha patch *shudder*

I'm still not a fan of neutral items and think they either need to go or have both teams be given the same items. Getting screwed over by getting bad Tier 5 items in a 60+ minute game really sucks.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
The hoho haha patch *shudder*

I'm still not a fan of neutral items and think they either need to go or have both teams be given the same items. Getting screwed over by getting bad Tier 5 items in a 60+ minute game really sucks.
I feel like pros haven't been really bothered by neutral items often citing rune rng being 100 times worse personally I can't really say much cause the pre tier 4 items generally feel fine and my games rarely reach tier 4. I don't think I've had a single tier 5 game yet but again I play far less than I watch.

Personally I think the TI6 patch was prob my favorite where I thought wow dota somehow feels super balanced. Well it also helped that Wings was making it seem like everything was viable in the right situation.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like pros haven't been really bothered by neutral items often citing rune rng being 100 times worse personally I can't really say much cause the pre tier 4 items generally feel fine and my games rarely reach tier 4. I don't think I've had a single tier 5 game yet but again I play far less than I watch.

Personally I think the TI6 patch was prob my favorite where I thought wow dota somehow feels super balanced. Well it also helped that Wings was making it seem like everything was viable in the right situation.
Yeah, even though pros aren't too bothered by them, I still am lol. I think the reason those bother me more than runes is just because they are permanent for the whole game, and runes are every 2 minutes, and even in mid laning phase they don't matter as much anymore since they don't spawn til 4 minutes.

Seeing thinks like a Weaver or Kunkka get Fallen Sky and be able to just use that on buildings, and then Time Lapse/X back is some bullshit like no other. Or things like an AM getting Illusionist Cape, Sniper with Ballista (or for even more nightmare fuel, Medusa with Ballista and the level 25 Split Shot applies modifiers talent), etc. I'm glad they removed some of the more broken ones like the Tome of Aghs, Helm of the Undying, or Third eye.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've kinda stopped playing Dota in the last weeks because I'm busy failing the Grand Magus stage in the Aghanim's Labyrinth.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I've kinda stopped playing Dota in the last weeks because I'm busy failing the Grand Magus stage in the Aghanim's Labyrinth.
That mode is genuinely one of the best special event modes they have put out, up there with Underhollow (the battle royale one) and Wraith Night.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That mode is genuinely one of the best special event modes they have put out, up there with Underhollow (the battle royale one) and Wraith Night.
I could honestly see a flashed out standalone spin-off like Underlords beeing pretty successful. There aren't many 4-man-coop-rogue-lite-strategy games out there.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
absolutely insane. to think that's just 25% of the money they've gotten as well. the rest going just to them. freakin' wild

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
I the only one in my squad who is still playing dota .. :( . 2012-2015 were the golden years for me back in high school.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wow, the amount of stuff tied to this looks insane! I haven't played in about 3 years but I get that itch from time to time.

Is there a new date for the International set yet?

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Hopefully this will be part in the International next year (let's be real, TI is not happening in 2020), but I don't want it all to be added on top of the next prize pool. Maybe split it over all the DPC majors and minors to make the stakes there even higher (and hopefully produce even more fun series)

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
I wish Valve would actually be more proactive in their esports scene. It has been an awful year for competitive dota and the whole scene is feeling the repercussions.