• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it. I've never seen the television series. But honestly, it's surprisingly well done and very entertaining. t's not just a kids' movie, more like a family movie. It's like Indiana Jones for kids. Especially the scene with spores was awesome. Also, the actress who plays Dora does an awesome job.
7/10

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this movie last night and it kind of annoyed me because a lot of it is meandering and mediocre, but there are some pretty inspired bits that could have made for an amazing film if they were more frequent. Namely, the early parts where Dora is being a hilarious weirdo in the real world, everything involving Swiper, the drug trip where the movie turns into 2D animation like the show, and the fantastic song during the credits (which was apparently written by the same guy who did the brilliant soundtrack for Muppets Most Wanted).

Also, the movie is really weird with its internal logic. They scrapped the outlandish stuff like a talking backpack and map and put forth the effort to come up with a logical reason for why Boots doesn't talk or wear his iconic boots... but then Swiper is out here being a talking anthropomorphic fox wearing a mask just like the cartoon with absolutely zero explanation. TBH the "we simply do not give a fuck" approach is actually kind of refreshing in a world where Sonic the Hedgehog got turned into a nightmare creature to justify being live action.

The good stuff isn't enough for me to tell anybody to rush out and get a ticket, but I'd recommend a watch when it comes out on streaming.

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
I saw this movie last night and it kind of annoyed me because a lot of it is meandering and mediocre, but there are some pretty inspired bits that could have made for an amazing film if they were more frequent. Namely, the early parts where Dora is being a hilarious weirdo in the real world, everything involving Swiper, the drug trip where the movie turns into 2D animation like the show, and the fantastic song during the credits (which was apparently written by the same guy who did the brilliant soundtrack for Muppets Most Wanted).
The movie was directed by the guy that directed The Muppets and Muppets Most Wanted, so that makes sense.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
i really didnt like the original shows and my kids werent into it but had some time to kill before once upon a time so saw this and i actually really enjoyed it, found it quite funny.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Well, after the reviews, I just had to watch it. You see, Dora was a pretty big part of my childhood. By that I meant mostly mocking it, but there were times when my siblings joined in. Still, I was skeptical like the rest of you guys when it was announced. Yet once I finished watching it, I was like...

tenor.gif

Miraculously, they managed to draw the line between mocking and respecting the material given to them. The Dora actress did a great job with her acting as well as the action sequences. It gave me a new respect to the explorer. The other kids did alright.

It kinda did feel like a reexamination of adventure films though they did throw a couple curveballs. Overall a nice film. 7.5/10

Also... Swiper? And he's both hilarious and surprisingly competent? Somehow it worked.

Edit: Ah that explains it. The guy who made the Muppet movies was involved in this. That guys is a real talent.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
This movie really worked because it was so self aware. I was pleasantly surprised, and my kids loved it.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the movie last weekend with the fam and we liked it. Theater was half full. My daughter was super into it... barely wanted candy or popcorn. She wants to see it again this week lol.

I love how the film is self aware. Isabella Moner did a great job as Dora. Hope to see her in the role again.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched it. Family liked it. I like how it played everything straight. No talking map, or Boots, or Backpack.... and then Swiper is there and it's treated as normal. Which I think is the one flaw. They could have had him pop up in the drugged scene or something but to play him as "normal" kind of goes counter to the rest of the film, which was fantastic and fun.

Oct 2, 2018
User Banned (3 Months): Body Shaming, Sexism; Prior Severe Ban for Transphobia
Eva Longoria being a bit heavy is a bit head turning considering the last time I really saw her, she was the hot Latina in desperate housewives .

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We decided to stay in and have a quiet one tonight and the kids wanted to rent this.

Honestly we all loved it, it's a great family movie that doesn't try to be anything else, like others say it kind of had no right to be as entertaining but I knew it was going to be fun as soon as she did the first fourth wall break with the dad being all confused.

Being super picky I didn't love how swiper looked but honestly who cares.

Would love a sequel but imagine it's unlikely!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
We decided to stay in and have a quiet one tonight and the kids wanted to rent this.

Honestly we all loved it, it's a great family movie that doesn't try to be anything else, like others say it kind of had no right to be as entertaining but I knew it was going to be fun as soon as she did the first fourth wall break with the dad being all confused.

Being super picky I didn't love how swiper looked but honestly who cares.

Would love a sequel but imagine it's unlikely!

Is it unlikely because of some kind of plot spoilers, or because it didn't do well enough?