• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Drome Racers was a budget LEGO racing game released in 2002. It wasn't half bad of a game, I remember quite liking it. One thing that stuck out to me though was this track.

MAN THIS SONG IS A BANGER and I love it. I could listen to it all day.

Another song I remember was the first level track from an odd little shoot 'em up called Platypus that I played on computer years and years ago (I think it also got a PSP release at some point)

What other games that no one/very few people know about has some dope music, Era? The world is missing out on some slick tracks and it aint right.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was this budget racing game on PC in 2005, World Racing 2. Most people on Era probably never heard of it, if anything they might have heard about the similarly budget games made by the same dev based on the German TV series Alarm Fur Cobra 11. These games even appeared on last-gen consoles, look up Crash Time games. But I'm digressing: World Racing 2 was a solid racer back in the day, not quite on par with Need For Speed, FlatOut or Burnout from those days, but it had its distincts identity and a slightly janky but peculiar driving model. It even had a pretty solid soundtrack, made of "nameless" tunes from various genres: techno-trance, rap, rock, and so on. This song, for example, could easily pass off as an album track on a known techno producer's release and nobody would bat an eye.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
Junya Nakano's music for Another Mind (never released here) always seemed super dope to me:

(I would describe it like 'creepy end of the spectrum Threads of Fate')

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Still my favorite Konami beat em up soundtrack, sorry TMNT. In that time Konami was absolutely crazy with Prince music.

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God Hand!!! Went through Akihabara and numerous stores in Tokyo/Kyoto. Found the soundtrack in a store that was completely random and hardly had any games. Time and money well spent.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
This was pretty iconic to me as a kid haha. Had that intense scifi horror vibe.

Be prepared to be creeped out haha.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Motherfucking Kinetica. The entire OST is comprised of acid/trance house, and it's pretty sick. Oh yeah, and the game was made by Sony Santa Monica and is the first game to use the God of War engine.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Vindictus isn't exactly super obscure, but being an older PC game means it might as well be for this board. And I'd say it's definitely been forgotten, given how no one has made a game quite like it since.

But anyway, it has a pretty dope/chill town theme:

Actually, Granado Espada is probably a much better example. The game itself was kind of super garbage. But man it had an OST that was just way too good for the game.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trap Gunner (PS1)

The whole soundtrack is pretty rad techno style from the mid-90's. Good stuff.

Also, shout out to the mentions of Rule of Rose. That game has some great stuff in there. One of my favorite tracks from all of gaming is a track that plays when you chase a blue butterfly down a hallway and it keeps splitting into more and more butterflies as the chase continues:

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
Bonk's Adventure is always the first game to come to mind when thinking of underappreciated top tier game music, both the sound palette and the tunes. It has an atmosphere and style all it's own.

Phantasy Star II is one of the all time great soundtracks, and while it's not forgotten/obscure, Super Daisenryaku is. This soundtrack was done by the same composer (Tokuhiko Uwabo) as PSII and is exactly the same palette and style. It's essentially more PSII music (although not quite as good of material).

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Good thread OP. Nice to not see the same things that get posted in every video game OST thread.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

I also love the OST for The Lawnmower Man.

Not sure if any Sonic game could be considered obscure or forgotten, but I love this track

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

Space Manbow on the MSX. Little known shmup by Konami that was exclusive to the system.

Like most Konami soundtrack of that era, it's simply godly. Composer legend Michiru Yamane was one of the composers on this. It shows!

PadPoet

Lead Community Manager at Socialpoint
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Barcelona
Lovely game. Awesome platformer and incredible OST. Especially love the intro music, Level 1 & Level 4.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Also if you want my opinion on the most underrated OST on the NES, that would definitely be RAF World/Journey to Silius. It's got that iconic Sunsoft sampled bass, giving it a real rich sound.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Emperor: Battle for Dune has one of the most ambitious soundtracks ever. A different composer for each house.

Frank Klepacki composed House Atreides soundtrack. And like always, he does an awesome job.

But House Harkonnen got an even better soundtrack. David Arkenstone surpassed Klepacki in almost every way.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Famicom Batman is the better game BUT

and this isn't old enough to be forgotten and is my GOTY 2018 but

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
There's so many one could post. Two off the top (one a bit shameless):

Deep Fear:

Please Love My Computer Game:

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always going to post Dark Rift when these threads come on. The OST has always stood out to me.

Blood Omen had some amazing pieces as well.