• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kapten

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Now I want to see G-Man have a cryptic monolouge towards the Slayer.

I'd doubt it would last long, due to some unforseen consequenses.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Just based on how powerful earth's forces were in Doom Eternal before collapsing, the Demons would wreck the combines forces on half life's version of earth.

Whether they could beat the entire Combine empire is highly unlikely, given that they apparently were gonna have a Dyson sphere in Half Life 3.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Just based on how powerful earth's forces were in Doom Eternal before collapsing, the Demons would wreck the combines forces on half life's version of earth.

Whether they could beat the entire Combine empire is highly unlikely, given that they apparently were gonna have a Dyson sphere in Half Life 3.
The ability to destroy a planet industrialize a sun is insignificant next to the power of the Force Hell

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
The Combine would need to bring in heavier hitters than we've seen so far. Their foot soldiers can probably deal with Hell's swarms of possessed soldiers and imps thanks to being better armed and not stupid, but Gordon was able to drop their heavy vehicles with a handful of rockets of the sort that Hell's tougher legions can rain down with absolute impunity, never mind the presence of bruisers like the baron of hell who can just jump into the middle of their ranks and lay waste while shrugging off incoming fire.

Oct 27, 2017
The Combine would need to bring in heavier hitters than we've seen so far. Their foot soldiers can probably deal with Hell's swarms of possessed soldiers and imps thanks to being better armed and not stupid, but Gordon was able to drop their heavy vehicles with a handful of rockets of the sort that Hell's tougher legions can rain down with absolute impunity, never mind the presence of bruisers like the baron of hell who can just jump into the middle of their ranks and lay waste while shrugging off incoming fire.

Not to mention the demons absolutely not value their own life and storm regardless of if they lose it or if it's more strategically sound to preserve your strength.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Demons would overwhelm Earth's Combine presence.
The Combine empire would win a war of attrition against the demons.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An entire Combine army is probably much, much larger than the Combine forces we've seen on Earth.

No probably about it, that's the driving plot of the half life 2 episodes. The combine forces that made earth surrender in 7 hours is a skeleton crew, earth is nothing to the combine. An ant hill to conquer. They open the super portal in the episodes to try and bring in reserves during the rebellion.

The combine's main focus seems to be an ongoing war with the Shu'ulathoi, the telepathic entities that become advisors when assimilated. It's believed that all the combine advisors are actually infant shu'ulathoi because the adult shu'ulathoi are powerful enough to take the combine empire on head on. The vast, vast majority of the combine's forces are pitted in battle with them, not dealing with earth. We're like a gas station to them.

Oct 27, 2017
Hell, easily. Even with their infighting chaos, they have seemingly endless legions of demons of various size and effectiveness- the bigger ones dwarf anything the Combine has to offer that we've seen (though I haven't played Alyx).

The Doom Slayer would rip and tear through the Combine quite easily.

Oct 27, 2017
Are there lots of new and really big Combine enemies in Alyx, because I don't recall the enemies being all that imposing outside of the striders and hunters from HL2/Episodes. And are the enemies in HL1 even Combine? I would guess not because Vortigaunts fight against the Combine and they were enemies in HL1.

So unless there's a shit load of enemy types I haven't seen then this would be a whitewash for the legions of Hell. They're more numerous, more varied and much more powerful both physically and with lots of other shit like resurrection and teleportation.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Combine. og doom has infighting. they arent some well disciplined hivemind army.
even with the infighting, hell completely fucked up earth with barely any fight whatsoever, with only doomguy actually able to do anything

hell, the titans alone(who are entirely indestructible) are more than enough.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
No probably about it, that's the driving plot of the half life 2 episodes. The combine forces that made earth surrender in 7 hours is a skeleton crew, earth is nothing to the combine. An ant hill to conquer. They open the super portal in the episodes to try and bring in reserves during the rebellion.

The combine's main focus seems to be an ongoing war with the Shu'ulathoi, the telepathic entities that become advisors when assimilated. It's believed that all the combine advisors are actually infant shu'ulathoi because the adult shu'ulathoi are powerful enough to take the combine empire on head on. The vast, vast majority of the combine's forces are pitted in battle with them, not dealing with earth. We're like a gas station to them.
Werent they also supposedly interested on Earth due to the teleport technology which tehy do not posses?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its always kinda ridiculous when you pit actual hell/afterlife stuff versus aliens/mortal stuff

hell as a concept basically has an infinite supply of its own goons

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Demons would overwhelm Earth's Combine presence.
The Combine empire would win a war of attrition against the demons.
Demons are effectively endless

Combine are alien and fuck you strong, but they're still scientifically mortal

hell, the legions of brainwashing demons alone would be able to convert them to demons over time any way.

Oct 27, 2017
Hell had demons like The Titan. Humongous monstrosities who's corpse alters the landscape. They can apparently be created to face a specific threat, as the Titan was for the Doom Slayer, so they're 100% in play. Even a lower level demon like a Hell Knight would probably tear through the Combine's Earth forces. If a nerd with mostly conventional weaponry can hold his own, then certainly Hell wouldn't have any issue.

Not to mention that Hell has apparently been fighting for untold ages, and still hasn't been depleted. I can't imagine the Combine could win a war of attrition against them. The Combine can assimilate, but not at the speed that Hell can. Huge chunks of the Combine grunt would probably just be possessed.

This thread makes we want to replay Half Life. It's been far too long.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Well it depends. Do they have their respective weapons or make due with what's available to them? Part of what makes Doomguy so menacing is the arsenal he has available to him. If you give Gordon those same weapons I bet he could do a lot of damage. Give Doomguy a gravity gun though and well, I guess he can make do with it?

As to which army is superior the Combine we see are but a super infinitesimally small part of the actual Combine that we even know about much less the parts we don't. Hells minions are dumb and easily dispatched in most situations. I'd wager the Combine would use sheer might of their technology alone to subjugate the legion of Hell.

Demons are effectively endless

Combine are alien and fuck you strong, but they're still scientifically mortal

hell, the legions of brainwashing demons alone would be able to convert them to demons over time any way.

Hell demons are scientifically mortal too or is Doomguy using a shotgun from Heaven?

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you never get a real sense for the scale of the combine in HL1 or 2 because we only have the perspective of captured humans, but Epistle3 demonstrated their numbers. They are unfathomably huge in empire, their technology is essentially unbeatable. that was the twist in Epistle3, after getting the borealis, their supposed game-changing weapon, they go to use it and realize it's nothing more than an mosquito bite to just a small portion of the combine empire. The combine is large and advanced enough to effortlessly build Dyson spheres. The combine overlords have also "assimilated" what are essentially a race of telepathic gods. In fact, their general strategy for defeating and conquering worlds makes them pretty much unstoppable -- they assimilate the population, augment them, then make them fight against themselves. So the "combine" who would fight the legions of hell, would be demons from hell that are souped up to begin with. And demons fighting each other is a staple of doom.

Combine all the way.

Doom Eternal spoilers

Hell can send in a Titan, which can only be defeated by a crucible, which I dont think the combine have. It also grows in strength with every kill and cannot be controlled through traditional telepathy.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it depends. Do they have their respective weapons or make due with what's available to them? Part of what makes Doomguy so menacing is the arsenal he has available to him. If you give Gordon those same weapons I bet he could do a lot of damage. Give Doomguy a gravity gun though and well, I guess he can make do with it?

As to which army is superior the Combine we see are but a super infinitesimally small part of the actual Combine that we even know about much less the parts we don't. Hells minions are dumb and easily dispatched in most situations. I'd wager the Combine would use sheer might of their technology alone to subjugate the legion of Hell.

Hell demons are scientifically mortal too or is Doomguy using a shotgun from Heaven?
Except we've never seen the boundaries of hell either, and Doomguy is literally said to never be able to stop, because Hell is endless. You can't subjugate an infinite legion of demons that can literally just possess combine en masse.

Aliens don't win against Hell, unless they're actual reality/universe altering cosmic horrors, which the combine arent.

also, this hypothetical is ignoring that the combine would also go to hell, and DOOMs hell would exist for all HL races. Hell isn't exclusove to humanity.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Except we've never seen the boundaries of hell either, and Doomguy is literally said to never be able to stop, because Hell is endless. You can't subjugate an infinite legion of demons that can literally just possess combine en masse.

Aliens don't win against Hell, unless they're actual reality/universe altering cosmic horrors, which the combine arent.

also, this hypothetical is ignoring that the combine would also go to hell, and DOOMs hell would exist for all HL races. Hell isn't exclusove to humanity.

Fair enough. Tbh I'd love to play that game. Hell versus Combine. Doomguy and Gordon just watching and chucking nades from a distance lol.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes

Yes, half his arsenal is literally tainted by demonic(and maykr?) blood. He's with the sentinels.

And Demons probably just go right back to hell when they die, they're a supernatural lifeform that come from the afterlife. Literally infinite.

edit: double reply lol

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Yes

Yes, half his arsenal is literally tainted by demonic(and maykr?) blood. He's with the sentinels.

And Demons probably just go right back to hell when they die, they're a supernatural lifeform that come from the afterlife. Literally infinite.

edit: double reply lol

Where are you getting this from?

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just due to sheer power level difference between the average demon and the average Combine plus the acknowledgement that both forces might be functionally endless I'm gonna say the war would go on forever and the Combine would never be winning it. The (non-canon) scale of the Combine's forces is their greatest strength and it's not relevant against the infinite legions of hell.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Probably demons.

One thing to note about the weapons in Doom Eternal is that a lot of them seem way more powerful than the mostly-conventional Earth weaponry that you see in Half-Life. The assault rifle is noted to be way heavier than normal guns, and looks like it fires pretty big bullets. And yet Doomguy waves that thing around like it's nothing.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are you getting this from?
Eternal, where he's constantly grouped in with the night sentinels in text logs(and a few cutscenes) in his fight against hell, and the NS got the hyper advanced warcraft from the Maykrs originally, which are effectively godlike beings. His armor is identical to all those mechs for a reason.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably demons.

One thing to note about the weapons in Doom Eternal is that a lot of them seem way more powerful than the mostly-conventional Earth weaponry that you see in Half-Life. The assault rifle is noted to be way heavier than normal guns, and looks like it fires pretty big bullets. And yet Doomguy waves that thing around like it's nothing.
Doomguy himself at this point probably isn't really human anymore

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
The earth surrendered to the combine in 7 hours, in Doom Eternals lore the demonic invasion lasts several months.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In Doom lore, Hell corrupts every living thing with the allure of power EXCEPT Doomguy.

The Combine's whole thing is using telepathy, drugs, or brute force to suppress and assimilate a population.

So you would assume Hell would assimilate the Combine, who would continue to assimilate races for Hell.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Eternal, where he's constantly grouped in with the night sentinels in text logs(and a few cutscenes) in his fight against hell, and the NS got the hyper advanced warcraft from the Maykrs originally, which are effectively godlike beings. His armor is identical to all those mechs for a reason.

I must have missed a lot about the preator suit then.

But otherwise, the Slayers weapons aren't tainted, there is nothing about that, they are normal weapons that he picked up off earth or mars dead corpses. The logs even say "The night Sentinels profressed, it is the warrior that makes the weapon great" about the chainsaw. His weapons are normal weapons.

The Night sentinels used argent energy to power their weapons and tech. That's the only thing we get on it. The advantage the Slayer has is that he was enhanced by the Divinity machine.

That is the case.

They are brought back to hell. Repaired and stitched back together and back to action.

When demons die they die. They are not infinite in number but as good as. They are not spirits they are organic creatures of flesh and blood. They don't get stitched back together.

Oct 27, 2017

But otherwise, the Slayers weapons aren't tainted, there is nothing about that, they are normal weapons that he picked up off earth or mars dead corpses. The logs even say "The night Sentinels profressed, it is the warrior that makes the weapon great" about the chainsaw. His weapons are normal weapons.

The Night sentinels used argent energy to power their weapons and tech. That's the only thing we get on it.

When demons die they die. They are not infinite in number but as good as. They are not spirits they are organic creatures of flesh and blood. They don't get stitched back together.
But you literally see one getting repaired in Eternal. The demons get revived with hells energy.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
In the hypothetical that they both exist in the same universe, yeah. Demon Combine, Demon Vortigaunt, Demon Xen Forces, etc.
Yes.

Infact, the demons in doom are mostly different races of aliens that hell corrupted.
In Doom lore, Hell corrupts every living thing with the allure of power EXCEPT Doomguy.

The Combine's whole thing is using telepathy, drugs, or brute force to suppress and assimilate a population.

So you would assume Hell would assimilate the Combine, who would continue to assimilate races for Hell.

Ok i change my vote combine does not stand a chance to the legions of hell

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Night sentinels used argent energy to power their weapons and tech. That's the only thing we get on it. The advantage the Slayer has is that he was enhanced by the Divinity machine.

The Super Shotgun, Ballista, Plasma Gun, and Heavy rifle are all far away from being normal human weapons

also thats not how hell works, in like, any fiction. When a demon dies it goes back to hell because it IS an afterlife, whether it be by soul or not(and souls become demons overtime). Hell is endless because it's supernatural. It's not science.

But also to the bolded, yes, that goes with it, as I've said Doomguy is literally the only one able to fight back hell, at all.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doom Eternal spoilers

Hell can send in a Titan, which can only be defeated by a crucible, which I dont think the combine have. It also grows in strength with every kill and cannot be controlled through traditional telepathy.

If we're going by Epistle3 rules then...

Part of the combine's reason for invading earth is to assimilate Aperture Science's portal technology, which eventually reached the ability to time travel. It's only a matter of time before the combine have the ability to perceive time non-linearly as the vortigaunt do. Being able to fuck with time would make the combine essentially unbeatable.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The Super Shotgun, Ballista, Plasma Gun, and Heavy rifle are all far away from being normal human weapons

also thats not how hell works, in like, any fiction. When a demon dies it goes back to hell because it IS an afterlife, whether it be by soul or not(and souls become demons overtime). Hell is endless because it's supernatural. It's not science.

But also to the bolded, yes, that goes with it, as I've said Doomguy is literally the only one able to fight back hell, at all.

It doesn't matter how it works in other fictions, it matters how it works in Dooms lore.

In the lore, the night Sentinels are able to fight through hell, albeit barely successfully, until they were betrayed by the markyr, because of argent energy.

And yes, all his weapons are capable of being welded by humans. The plasma gun and heavy rifle are welded by UAC soldiers. The Super shotgun is of "earthly design" the balista can also be used by humans as the slayer was able to use it before he was enhanced.

But you literally see one getting repaired in Eternal. The demons get revived with hells energy.

I won't deny that if I forgot that, though if you mean the Doom hunter the game seems to describe them as not being demons but just an ancient hunter creature.