• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Since we had 2 entries from 2 of the greatest first person shooters a couple days apart, I thought it would be chance to do a fun vs thread.

Both DOOM and Half-Life have mutli-dimensional invading armies, both incorporate elements of the dimensions they conquer, and both have a single guy trying to upset their plans (though Freeman arguably is fighting a lost cause, where Doomguy has a chance of actually winning in the end).

In an unlikely situation we ever got a crossover (though stranger things have happened), who out of these two armies would ultimately prevail? The winner would most likely incorporate the loser into their ranks, and most likely the combined army would destroy everything. But how would this fight go down?

Just a small note, we don't know the full scale of the Combine, where we do however have a better idea of Hell. But rather than saying the Combine win due to infinite minions that may or may not exist, let's try to base arguments on what is known about the Combine rather than what we don't.

BONUS QUESTION: How would Doomguy fair against the Combine? Could Freeman survive Hell?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Despite not knowing the full scope of the Combine.
I'm still gonna vote for the legion of Hell after seeing their scope in Eternal.

BONUS QUESTION: How would Doomguy fair against the Combine? Could Freeman survive Hell?

Doom guy will eviscerate the combine. Gordon may or may not survive Hell depending on his equipment.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm... Combine is more organized and smarter, Hell's legions are brutal and don't seem to have an end. I think Combine could squeak out a win, but it would be close.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I actually think the Combine stand a good chance since the above aforementioned infighting doesn't apply to them.

The brainwashed armies of the combine are more organized than the random chaos of hell lol.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
individually, the armies of hell are MUCH more powerfull than the combine, but yeah the organization is a big stuff.

Doomguy would absolutely finish half life in a matter of minutes tho

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
individually, the armies of hell are MUCH more powerfull than the combine, but yeah the organization is a big stuff.

Doomguy would absolutely finish half life in a matter of minutes tho

Freeman would backwards-speedrun at 1000 mph and leap over all of Doom and get to the end in a minute.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
Hell would wash the Combine through sheer attrition and superior technology. The Combine are ground-based and the Spider Mastermind can electrify the ground. There are also multiple demons that can survive a BFG blast. The Combine's weaponry is vastly inferior to Doom weaponry.

The Doom Slayer would wash the Combine. The legions of Hell outright fear the Doom Slayer. The Combine probably doesn't even have any weaponry that can damage the Doom Slayer.

The Doom Slayer would annihilate all of them. Combine. Hell. Gordon. And quickly.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
HELL! HELL!
images

Oct 25, 2017
Freeman would die against the first Imp and Doom Guy would starve in the first room with a puzzle that requires you do to something more than punch it so we are doomed

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking Hell would find a means of crumbling the Combine internally much like how they succeeded with Argent D'Nur. Hell seemingly posseses vastly superior technologies through things like localized teleportation, which the Combine have yet to figure out. I'm sure there are demons within Hell that vastly outrank a Combine Advisor in terms of telepathic and telekinetic prowess as well.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
There are suggestions that the Combine are larger than one can comprehend, essentially being a inter--dimensional organism of epic scale that spreads its influence in a dispassionate and overwhelming way.

Like the Borg, their forces are made of what useful creatures and technology they have absorbed.
The enemies Freeman fought in HL2 are but a small contingent of occupiers. We don't really know what their invasion force looked like, but when they arrived, Earth surrendered after only 7 hours.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
Doomguy would obliterate the Combine. Gordon would die instantly in Hell. Therefore, the forces of Hell are more powerful and would win. Q.E.D.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Combine we've seen in HF are nerfed, aren't they? Being a token occupation force and all. I think the Combine are supposed to be nigh batshit insane in terms of logistics. And if there were any force out there that would adapt to demons pouring out of hell, it would be them.

BONUS ROUND: Gordon could possibly amble on through Doom 1 and 2 as a replacement to Doomguy. He wouldn't replace the Doom Slayer. Doomguy absolutely strolls through on the Resonance Cascade, but HF2 is interesting in that there's a lot of moving parts outside Gordon's influence (The G-man being an obvious factor,) so Doomguy as a blunt weapon might not work out perfectly. But I mean yeah you get one portal to the combine homeworld and you can call it a day.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I feel even including the leaked Half Life 2 episode 3 details of the Combine (that showed an unwinnable fight) the legions of hell would win simply because they are much more powerful individually and easily out number the Combine.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Freeman would die against the first Imp and Doom Guy would starve in the first room with a puzzle that requires you do to something more than punch it so we are doomed

Should be noted that half life puzzles are not THAT hard and gordon is not THAT weak.

Gordon would die in the 3rd enemy because of the crowbar and doomguy would bruteforce most puzzles.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Purely going off the games (don't know what Alyx adds to the Combine though) Hell seems stronger, but taking the "Epistle 3" stuff into account the Combine are apparently near-infinite just like the Legions of Hell, and both factions are very good at "reappropriating" both the alive and dead to assist, not to mention even just taking the game lore they can apparently deal with something like the G-Man who has some degree of control over time and space itself (and is still implied to be relatively low on the power hierachy), so assuming the general HL canon remains the same they seem pretty equal. Of the two protagonists Doomguy is definitely much stronger, but I think that's partly due to having much more content to draw from; taking "epistle 3" into account again Gordon would have to start getting to Doomguy level of feats to even start putting a dent into the Combine as a whole, so while Doomguy is the winner I'm not sure Gordon's potential is as far off as it seems.

Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean Doomguy has a "chance" of winning? He DID win and all demons are shitting their pants on the sight of him.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
I bet the legions of Hell could overtake the Combine controlled Earth assuming they didn't get offworld reinforcements. But we know the Combine have enslaved many worlds. I feel like if we saw the Combine as a whole instead of the measly Earth occupation branch they'd just subjugate Hell as well. And for fun if we took Laidlaw's Epistle 3 into account then it's not really a question.

Gordon surviving Hell depends on how much Gluon gun ammo he has.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
isnt hell like The Literal Hell From Religious Texts how the hell are some aliens gonna beat them

Oct 27, 2017
isnt hell like The Literal Hell From Religious Texts how the hell are some aliens gonna beat them

In the recent Dooms hell is just a kind of another dimension and they conquer planets by slowly dragging them into hell, killing all citizens, extracting their souls to use them as energy for their magic while the empty corpses slowly become mindless demons.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to say. I don't think we;ve seen the brunt of the combine

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you never get a real sense for the scale of the combine in HL1 or 2 because we only have the perspective of captured humans, but Epistle3 demonstrated their numbers. They are unfathomably huge in empire, their technology is essentially unbeatable. that was the twist in Epistle3, after getting the borealis, their supposed game-changing weapon, they go to use it and realize it's nothing more than an mosquito bite to just a small portion of the combine empire. The combine is large and advanced enough to effortlessly build Dyson spheres. The combine overlords have also "assimilated" what are essentially a race of telepathic gods. In fact, their general strategy for defeating and conquering worlds makes them pretty much unstoppable -- they assimilate the population, augment them, then make them fight against themselves. So the "combine" who would fight the legions of hell, would be demons from hell that are souped up to begin with. And demons fighting each other is a staple of doom.

Combine all the way.

Oct 27, 2017
you never get a real sense for the scale of the combine in HL1 or 2 because we only have the perspective of captured humans, but Epistle3 demonstrated their numbers. They are unfathomably huge in empire, their technology is essentially unbeatable. that was the twist in Epistle3, after getting the borealis, their supposed game-changing weapon, they go to use it and realize it's nothing more than an mosquito bite to just a small portion of the combine empire. The combine is large and advanced enough to effortlessly build Dyson spheres. The combine overlords have also "assimilated" what are essentially a race of telepathic gods. In fact, their general strategy for defeating and conquering worlds makes them pretty much unstoppable -- they assimilate the population, augment them, then make them fight against themselves. So the "combine" who would fight the legions of hell, would be demons from hell that are souped up to begin with. And demons fighting each other is a staple of doom.

Combine all the way.

Is it really fair to base this comparision on a farewell letter of an employee from which probably nothing will end up in the future canon of the not yet existing games?

May 26, 2018
Doomguy rips the Combine to funny little pieces. Can just see him double jumping up to a strider and tearing off its carapace with his bare hands.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Doomguy is basically sci-fi Kratos.

Don't think anything can stand in his way. He's angry and wants to crush some demon's skulls for breakfast.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it really fair to base this comparision on a farewell letter of an employee from which probably nothing will end up in the future canon of the not yet existing games?

The combine being impossibly large is not something only revealed in that letter. They talk about their strategies, their assimilation technologies, etc. throughout the entire half life series. That they have assimilated what are essentially telepathic gods is like the central driving plot of the half life 2 saga. You hear them talking about Dyson Spheres a lot in HL2.

Heck, the introduction to the combine in the entire narrative is when you find them hopping dimensions, pinning down a second race of telepathic gods into submission at the end of a long war.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I...want to see this movie. The legions of Hell versus the bio-tech inter-dimensional hyper-galactic hivemind conquerer. Both sides adapting to and countering eachother's weapons and technology

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Swap Gordon for Doom Slayer at the end of Epistle 3 and Doom Slayer does to the Combine the same he did to Hell.