• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They've mentioned in all their previews that it's a standalone game. Even the gameplay vids shown were completely difference since you're not playing as Doom Guy (or whatever he's called XD). You're taking control of different bodies throughout the game.

Average gamers don't watch previews or even many reviews. We're talking a market that though the Wii U was an add on, retailers that stuck it under Wii branding as they didn't know any better either etc.

That said, Doom games don't tend to descriptive names so I'm not sure what more they could have done on that front. It has the misfortune of coming right after Skyrim VR which is just a VR version of an existing game which is probably more likely to make average VR users think it's just Doom 2016 in VR. Oh well, hope it does well. I'll get it on PSVR eventually but want the Aim controller and can't justify $80 for the Farpoint bundle right now.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Why does it seem like the big gaming sites are always trying to paint VR in the worst light possible?

Why the hell would they not use the AIM controller with full locomotion? Showcasing teleporting predictably leads to everyone in the comments shitting on the game and assuming this is the only way to play it

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the game is significantly different across the platforms. Optimization won't bridge that gap...

Then again maybe it's 60fps vs 90fps situation.
Its also likely due to the resolution differences between the PSVR and the Vive on top of the frame rate difference. They are trying to give optimal specs to achieve 90 fps @ 2160x1200 on the vive which may take a little horse power. But as someone said earlier... they might be playing it a little safe by calling for a 1070. I'm sure you'd be able to play this with other cards by adjusting graphical options. I guess we'll know more after it's release. Can't wait!

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
Why are there no demo video's from the PC version? Seems like that would be the best showcase for this.
PSVR is soaking up all of the spotlight for better or worse, because it's affordable to reviewers and representative of the majority VR population.

I'm tempted to buy this just so people have some high-end gameplay to watch.

Neuromancer

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore
From the original game's manual:

rePr6hR.jpg

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Why does it seem like the big gaming sites are always trying to paint VR in the worst light possible?

Why the hell would they not use the AIM controller with full locomotion? Showcasing teleporting predictably leads to everyone in the comments shitting on the game and assuming this is the only way to play it

Unless I've really misunderstood DOOM VFR, movement is always going to involve teleportation. It's built right into the backstory.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Unless I've really misunderstood DOOM VFR, movement is always going to involve teleportation. It's built right into the backstory.

Teleportation is used for the brutal kills (when an enemy flashes blue) and it may also be used to "jump" to a place you can't walk to (someone correct me here if I'm wrong since I haven't played this yet, just assuming it will have some verticality like the current non-vr Doom).
Otherwise, you can play the game with normal movement. Maligna was talking about the fact that sites like IGN seem to be showing only teleport based movement and not the normal/full locomotion options which paints the game as having only teleportation.

On top of that the ign vid feels very static, if this is like every other vr game, you should be able to duck and move about to avoid getting hit. The player in that vid is just standing still and shooting at the enemy whilst being shot a ton of times before moving to a new spot. The vid posted in your quote looks super boring as a result.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK

It's been confirmed tonnes of times that full locomotion is supported, at least on the PSVR version. What I have seen is that loco is recommended in the game even when you're free moving because teleporting into staggered enemies takes the place of the finishing animations (they basically explode when you teleport into them).

But that could be optional - you don't really have to execute anyone like that.

Edit: Beaten. I'll add that the vids I've seen of full loco look MUCH better. NO idea how they strafe without barfing, though.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Does anyone know if the PC version will support artificial turning? Steam says roomscale-only.

I was considering getting a PCVR headset since I had the opportunity to try it out yesterday, but unless I can play this seated I'll just stay on PSVR with my trusty Aim.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
It's disappointing that every site is only showcasing the shitty teleporting controls. I wonder if reviews will even touch on the far superior full locomotion controls? I always go full locomotion with snap turning, I'm fine with strafing and stuff but smooth turning always makes me ill. I went ahead and pre-ordered it from GMG at 24% off, but the only thing I'm worried about now are controls being mapped to touchpad options since I use an Oculus Rift. But there is some sort of 3rd party software that can be used to remap everything to Touch controls. I just wish Bethesda supported Touch controllers natively in OpenVr/SteamVR even if they don't ever utilize the native Oculus SDK ;p.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I went ahead and pre-ordered it from GMG at 24% off, but the only thing I'm worried about now are controls being mapped to touchpad options since I use an Oculus Rift. But there is some sort of 3rd party software that can be used to remap everything to Touch controls. I just wish Bethesda supported Touch controllers natively in OpenVr/SteamVR even if they don't ever utilize the native Oculus SDK ;p.
Tbh the only reason I haven't already bought a Rift is the worry about the Touch support. Missed out on the amazing black friday Rift deals because of it, I just can't justify such a big expenditure with unanswered questions like this.

If it's all good for a Rift front-facing, seated setup I'll almost definitely double-dip along with a Rift in a month or two. Been wanting PC on my main platform for ages. But for now, since the game's super cheap and I already have PSVR, I'll play it there and wait it out on the PC front.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why no platinum trophy though? The base game had a very enjoyable trophy set (90% trophies for singleplayer, only a couple of easy ones for multi, manageable even after multi loses in popularity).

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Looks like Bethesda aren't sending me a review code, but it's back in stock on Amazon. £12, bargain! Have barely used my Aim controller since Farpoint so will be awesome to use it again.

pray_bentos

Nov 13, 2017
Anyone order theirs from Amazon UK? Just chatted to Amazon support and they said stock is unlikely to come in today for dispatch.

Shari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm interested on this since I just bought an Oculus.

The last 10 points or so in the FAQ of the OT are, pretty much, bugs. Has anybody tested this?

Roz

Nov 10, 2017
Eurogamer are doing a live stream of the PSVR version using an aim controller

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

This bit confuses me:

The basic locomotion options are teleportation – holding a button will slow time as a glowing icon appears denoting your landing point – and quick step (labelled 'dash' in-game). With the PlayStation Move and PlayStation Aim there are no smooth locomotion options, but the quick step is a good alternative similar to the snap-rotation (a 180 degree turn) for avoiding simulation sickness. The DualShock 4 controller does offer a more traditional FPS control scheme however, though the rotation on the right analog stick is still in small increments.

From the aim controller gameplay videos it looked like smooth turning to me.

Mdk7

Oct 27, 2017
Novara, Italy
This bit confuses me:

The basic locomotion options are teleportation – holding a button will slow time as a glowing icon appears denoting your landing point – and quick step (labelled 'dash' in-game). With the PlayStation Move and PlayStation Aim there are no smooth locomotion options, but the quick step is a good alternative similar to the snap-rotation (a 180 degree turn) for avoiding simulation sickness. The DualShock 4 controller does offer a more traditional FPS control scheme however, though the rotation on the right analog stick is still in small increments.

From the aim controller gameplay videos it looked like smooth turning to me.
That is NOT true, you can tell by looking at the Eurogamer Doom streaming that's going on right now.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
So many misinformed journo's, Like how hard is it to do real research before finalising the reviews/previews.

It has locomotion, Ian's stream shows that so hopefully the word will spread faster.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017