• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Only 9. I may be wrong but I don't think it was COVID, pretty sure the second season was already in the can when that started interfering with everything. At least that was the impression I got.
sure hope so. I can handle a shorter season (though 9 is really short compared to the last season and everything else they have had) but it's going to be rough if it was supposed to be like 12 and we end as things heat up.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the club. For me (and I am a HUGE comic nerd) and my taste I personally think it's the best comic adaption into other media, of any kind of media, ever.

Of course it's not that surprising, while it pulls from multiple eras and stories the bulk of it is sourced or adapted from Grant Morrison's late eighties run into the title which is in my top 2 or 3 comic runs of all time.
I was afraid it was going to be like one of the CW series. I am glad that it is of higher quality. Even the bad effects are charming.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I like the Niles arc, but I also wish we could just have the Aqua Teen version of this show, where they never bother being "heroes" and just hang around the mansion every episode. It's already tantalizingly close to that, but imagine if every episode were like Sex Patrol.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who enjoys repetition jokes even if beaten dead as long as it's super specific and limited to one joke I really, really love sex ghosts. Best thing ever.

Overall enjoyed the episode too, got some actual character development and movement in an episode that in most series would be considered filler.

Damn I love this show.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Where is everyone?

Loved this episode again. The scants concept was incredible, and also really endeared me to Miranda. Though I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop considering Scarlett Harlot's disappearance. Also glad to see Robotman reunite with his daughter via what I'm assuming is Niles sending the VHS confession to her. Interesting stuff with Candle demon too, can't wait for the resolution. And finally, Rita finally taking hold of her powers after her bee-related catharsis lol

I can't believe there's only two episodes left :(

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
"Where's Mr. Nobody"?
"Well, he got a gig on some animated bullcrap" (Harley Quinn)

LOL I can't

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Just wanna add that the first half of this episode is extremely giffable. It's nice to see Larry have fun even if it's because he became an idiot.

What's sad is it seemed like Alan Tudyk was very game to come back for Season 2 of Doom Patrol.
I think they just don't have much to do with him because given his whole thing here (as far as the show goes at least) is a big meta reality warping power he'd be such an immediate problem solver that they're probably saving him for something later on in the show when they have the characters really down-and-out with nowhere else to turn. And then he'll lord it over them that they needed his help.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What's sad is it seemed like Alan Tudyk was very game to come back for Season 2 of Doom Patrol.

I get the feeling it was a budget thing. He was main cast last season so they may have not been willing or able to renegotiate him down to guest star or recurring status for one or two short appearances.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I enjoyed Tudyk in Season 1 of the show, but I like him even more on Harley Quinn.

Miranda sees too good to be true, so no doubt she played a part in Scarlet Harlot's disappearance.

Scants feeding off of bad idea juice, have no idea how the writers come up with this stuff. Perhaps acid, lol.

Niles must have the souped up wheelchair to be able to navigate through the snow like that.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
ok episode.
Slowed down in the middle eventually picked up at the end.

not really feeling this season. Maybe because of none main antagonist also a lot house scenes

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
I love this shows cast and am so glad S2 exists but something about this season is just lacking? I guess it just feels like there are 5 plot threads going at once with no real cohesion and out of all of them niles/dorothy seems to be the most "important" one overall yet I find everyone else's more interesting. Like Rita in a play with mommy issues is more entertaining to me than whatever the fuck Niles is doing with Dorothy. Also Cyborg even more so just seems to be doing his own thing almost not even needing the rest of the show to tell his little story, that being said its still the most interested i've EVER been in cyborg

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Right when the joke was made. At least on DC Universe.
Yeah, I noticed that right at the time in the lower right corner. However while I usually watch on Max I recently took the plunge to DC Universe (for comics mostly, actually reading the 60's era Doom Patrol right now) and had turned it on and notice the new ep and since I was already there just watched it, though I don't see why they would not have it on max, especially since I am pretty sure the Harley show is coming to Max this month so good advertizing.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I noticed that right at the time in the lower right corner. However while I usually watch on Max I recently took the plunge to DC Universe (for comics mostly, actually reading the 60's era Doom Patrol right now) and had turned it on and notice the new ep and since I was already there just watched it, though I don't see why they would not have it on max, especially since I am pretty sure the Harley show is coming to Max this month so good advertizing.

Yeah thats probably why. I"m watching it on HBO Max and I didn't see any logo about harley quinn

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Those scants made me laugh. What a crazy idea.
That fire monster demon thing that Chief was talking to was wearing high heels.
This show is so bizarre.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
In my near state of unemployment, I discovered Doom Patrol. This show is batshit and I love it.

Deleted member 10234

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This show is so fucking weird, the way I described it to my friends is as if someone wrote down the weirdest ideas they had for a comic book show and then wrote a serious show around those ideas.

I'm liking S2 more than S1 so far. It feels more consistent, S1 was a bit weird with some episodes having the Mr. Nobody narration and others not having anything like that.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is currently my favorite show. I love it so much. This is the first show in a long long time that if it's isn't renewed I will actually be sad and pissed off. It's weird but it somehow makes it all work. WATCH IT!

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scants feeding off of bad idea juice, have no idea how the writers come up with this stuff.
They don't, they adapt it from the source material. Now how did Way come up with it, no clue. The acid theory is as good as any.

Yeah thats probably why. I"m watching it on HBO Max and I didn't see any logo about harley quinn
Considering the ad was there for me watching it on HBO GO here in Eastern Europe where we do not even have HQ as far as I know, I am gonna guess it's hard coded into the show and you just missed it.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They don't, they adapt it from the source material. Now how did Way come up with it, no clue. The acid theory is as good as any.

Considering the ad was there for me watching it on HBO GO here in Eastern Europe where we do not even have HQ as far as I know, I am gonna guess it's hard coded into the show and you just missed it.
Oh, is Scants from Gerard's run? I have only read the first volume, it's better than a lot of comics but not quite what I want from Doom Patrol.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, is Scants from Gerard's run? I have only read the first volume, it's better than a lot of comics but not quite what I want from Doom Patrol.

It's sorta halfway between GM Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy. I dug it, but haven't gone to get later volumes yet. UA is more coherent and unhinged (and contradictory as that sounds) and is better for it.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's sorta halfway between GM Doom Patrol and Umbrella Academy. I dug it, but haven't gone to get later volumes yet. UA is more coherent and unhinged (and contradictory as that sounds) and is better for it.
Well that's the thing, wasn't huge into the DP but now will read UA and now that I have a DCU sub will probably check out the Young Animal stuff. For a guy from a band I didn't care about Way is definitely one of the brighter spots in comics writing right now.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
So next week's episode...I assume it was suppose to be a 2 parter but due to covid-19 they cut the last episode...how will this work out? will it go extremely too fast or will it somehow work out well?

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On one hand cannot wait for next episode. On the other hand no more after that due to the last episode being cut because of rona feels like it's going to leave us in the lurch.

Also when it comes to comic to screen adaption I am amazed that with Dorothy they actually
they actually found a way to adapt her getting her period. In the comic it was more due to her growing up and fear of her looks and liking boys without reciprocation, where as here with the rest of the changes it seems more like coming of age releases the candlemaker, but the fact they were willing to use any of that element of the book solidified their love and dedication to the book, and why this adaption works so well even as such an odd show made with such an odd book being the genesis.

Really helps solidify my opinion that this is THE best comic to screen (or any media really) adaption there has ever been with the only competition being Amazon's The Boys. And as much as I like The Boys it's second both in general and by the fact that Doom Patrol is adapting a seminal run that I would have called unfilmable, and doing it both successfully and as faithful as humanly possible, whereas considering the book The Boys has nowhere to go but up.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, it does seem like we might be on the path towards a cliff-hanger next week. Maybe that turns into a positive and helps the show get a season 3, so they just don't come back to film one episode.

Cyborg's girl taking the uma jelly to heal herself - good. Murdering people - not so much. I did like The Avengers Beekeeper and the Borg dream segment. Cliff getting a chance to spend some time with his daughter was nice.

The Miranda heel turn was expected, she did seem to be a really positive force for Kay though.

Weirdness highlight for the episode goes to Nigel's Reeses phone

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Rita and Cyborg make a good couple

Oh hey Larry and Jane you don't see these two pair.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Is it just me or has the group felt less tightly knit than last season. All the storylines have been great, but it seems to be a lot of different themes going on.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Don't forget folks, as of the moment at least the show draws heaviest from Morrison's run, where the patrol was less of a team and more a bunch of weirdos living in the same house and whenever they did heroing the ones involved was whoever was in the room at the time. It wasn't uncommon for them to be split. So I would say the show is being pretty faithful.

Also to note at this level of things in the comic with the candlemaker the teams already broken up and everyone is pretty much on their own. The fact that it's not a straight adaption and they probably want the show to keep going after the material is gone actually has them in a much better position both as a group and people than they were in the story they are adapting.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
So the season finale went down, really need it to come back for Season 3 now.

Some more specific thoughts

The Doom Patrol battling against imaginary friends was a cool concept, especially Cliff taking on Jesus. Poor Larry, not even having an imaginary friend. It did seem like Dorothy might have a shot at beating the candle-maker, despite Niles pleas.

Miranda not being Miranda was called, although it appears to a manifestation/construct of her horrible father who has been posing as Miranda to get rid of all the alters I'm guessing. Jane seems to be swimming to help I guess

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I knew it would end on a cliffhanger and yet, I still wasn't ready.

Miranda theory
Part of me wonders is false Miranda is another manifestation of Candlemaker... everyone except Larry faced off with their imaginary comfort friend, and in a way, Jane/Kay faced her own. Another part of me agrees with TheNatureBoy that false Miranda is a manifestation of her father.

Whatever the case is, I hope the wait for season 3 isn't long... but probably will be given the pandemic.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh that cliffhanger.

Man, i feel so sorry for Miranda. Noone should have to go through that. The way he manipulated her...that pisses me off