• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So is Danny is in pieces now šŸ˜ž
Bad enough Danny's a brick...

To me this was the one major misstep, to reduce Danny (one of the better characters on television from both a progressive and "hey look at what you can do with a little budget and imagination this is what makes fantasy great" standpoint) into a plot device for Chief to teach Dorothy a lesson while illuminating and making him wake up to his own mistakes was a bad move.

There are hundreds of ways to do the same thing without dropping and breaking Danny, and yes it's a downbeat show about misfits but that went too far for me, I am less okay with it and more will put up with it since the rest of the show is so brilliant.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Bad enough Danny's a brick...

To me this was the one major misstep, to reduce Danny (one of the better characters on television from both a progressive and "hey look at what you can do with a little budget and imagination this is what makes fantasy great" standpoint) into a plot device for Chief to teach Dorothy a lesson while illuminating and making him wake up to his own mistakes was a bad move.

There are hundreds of ways to do the same thing without dropping and breaking Danny, and yes it's a downbeat show about misfits but that went too far for me, I am less okay with it and more will put up with it since the rest of the show is so brilliant.

There is no way that's the end of the road for Danny though.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Caught up with the latest 3 episodes.

Agreed that Dorothy has been a great addition. Creepy imaginary friends and don't completely understand the wish factor

Does it always turn bad like the slaughter at the circus? Can she wish for something good

Show continues to nail the fact these are broken, damaged people dealing with terrible tragedies inflicted upon them. It really is a testament to Timothy Dalton's work that you don't completely hate The Chief.

Not a good show to watch while eating though. Ep 3 in particular has some ghastly stuff.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Caught up with the latest 3 episodes.

Agreed that Dorothy has been a great addition. Creepy imaginary friends and don't completely understand the wish factor

Does it always turn bad like the slaughter at the circus? Can she wish for something good

Show continues to nail the fact these are broken, damaged people dealing with terrible tragedies inflicted upon them. It really is a testament to Timothy Dalton's work that you don't completely hate The Chief.

Not a good show to watch while eating though. Ep 3 in particular has some ghastly stuff.
About the wishes

Dont want to say too much about the candlemaker because it will probably be a huge plot point related to the whole world ending thing chief is worried about but if they keep to the comics at all as they have and the implications of why chief has been trying to live as long/outlive his daughter even if there is no visible bad thing at the end of the day the candlemaker is bad news with nothing good about it, ie even if it appears okay it's really not.

Saying anything more would truly be spoiling it though so I will stop there.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
About the wishes

Dont want to say too much about the candlemaker because it will probably be a huge plot point related to the whole world ending thing chief is worried about but if they keep to the comics at all as they have and the implications of why chief has been trying to live as long/outlive his daughter even if there is no visible bad thing at the end of the day the candlemaker is bad news with nothing good about it, ie even if it appears okay it's really not.

Saying anything more would truly be spoiling it though so I will stop there.

Okay gotcha, thanks for the info.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't look before so I finally checked to see if Dorothy was portrayed by an actual kid and it turns out Abigail Shapiro is just a tiny adult.
Should do a follow-up to this picture, to see the difference between Shapiro and Guerrero.

Doom-Patrol-Season-2.jpg

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Hm think I saw season 1 being on Amazon Prime over here...guess I have to watch it?

For reference: Loved The Boys. Am totally done with any CW-show.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, this episode. This show is too good.

Morally Corrupt and Flex are legit the best.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Won't be able to watch until this evening, but I will definitely post thoughts when I do. Will avoid thread until then, not that people are spoiling because they are not just don't want others thoughts prejudicing me, plus when their are spoiler tags I can't help myself and that's a me issue.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
New favorite episode?

I mean it has everything you want from Doom Patrol. Our heroes going through their personal lives and adding tragic elements to backstory. The attempted murder, Sex demons, homages, heartfelt moments, Larry failing himself.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"Are we going to talk about how Rita's G-spot nearly destroyed the entire world?"

Holy shit, what an episode.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
I have a million questions on this episode(episode 4) so far and I don't think I have the right mindset to even ask it

Last edited:

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, Doom Patrol. So glad to have it. I hope despite the truncated season they can still bring some of these plotlines together but I guess they'd have to scramble before production shut down to get there.

Everyone on this show is fantastic but the actress playing Dorothy nails every scene. It's extra impressive that the prosthetics limit her range of facial expressions but it all comes out through her eyes and voice.

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I forgot if I mentioned during season 1, but one of my good friends is a writer on the show. And this was his episode (well co-writer) so it's been good to see reception to it.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Was especially happy to see Polari appear on the wheel.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I forgot if I mentioned during season 1, but one of my good friends is a writer on the show. And this was his episode (well co-writer) so it's been good to see reception to it.
It is literally the perfect example of great adaption. Took something that only would work in comics, changed most of it both to work in the medium and just that arc of Morrison's run had stuff you can't do on tv, yet nailed the spirit of the story and was instantly recognizable as that storyline.

Also don't know if it was him or the co-writer but whoever switched the emphasis of the event from Scarlet Harlot to Flex and Rita has my thanks since as much as I love Grants work especially Doom Patrol Scarlet Harlot never sat quite right with me to the point I won't explain but anyone who has read or is willing to read could probably see why as an abuse survivor Jane manifesting that personality and her dialogue as a response to sex abuse was super problematic in the original format.

Oct 25, 2017
Great episode. High as balls Cliff was really fun.

One of these days we're going to get an episode where Larry realizes it's okay for him to be happy and I will in turn be really happy

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Great episode. High as balls Cliff was really fun.

One of these days we're going to get an episode where Larry realizes it's okay for him to be happy and I will in turn be really happy

Yeah, Larry needs to get a W sometime. Poor guy is always so dejected. Plus I imagine wearing the jacket and wraps all the time gets hot.

Another crazy episode, don't know how they come up with some of this stuff.

Damn, Nigel had Dorothy hidden away all that time. You would think he would let her walk along Danny the Street, considering that's the place there wouldn't be any judgment and she could be her self. Aside from the fact all the Dannyzens seem to be adults, and not many kids to play with.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Doing a rewatch and the moment when the doors open and the sparkle sounds happen is just perfect. i like how even characters without actors/actresses are more fully realized than most prestige tv characters. ive yet to read the comics but ive got the hunch that Danny works better on tv than 2d art.

Gabe323

Oct 18, 2019
I want a Flex spin off show for yesterday xD

also holy shit at this frame for the preview of the next episode

FoCiGQC.png

i once meet someone in a party that was dancing with his own shadon in the wall so i can relate xD
With great muscles comes great responsibility

also... think of potatoes! It hurt from laughing so much this episode.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm caught up. This show is still fucking amazing
Yeah, I was so scared it was going to drop, it started on such a high note, and leaned so far into the weirder aspects I have just been waiting but so far they are leaning even harder into the weird stuff and it's been as good if not better than season 1, most of all it's been consistent for me across episodes with no wading through one or two slogs to get to the excellent episodes.

Fingers crossed it keeps up. Is it bad I am almost happy there are less episodes giving them less chances to screw up?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love a spinoff that was just the showmakers doing Morrison's Flex Mentallo series. That'd be great.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Pacing of episode 3 is all over the place. Juggling all these characters single story arc
Cliff's daughter
Jane's intervention
Larry's past
Cyborg's life
Dorothy 's hide and seek
Then finally Niles and Rita

That's 6 story arc in a single episode

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Pacing of episode 3 is all over the place. Juggling all these characters single story arc
Cliff's daughter
Jane's intervention
Larry's past
Cyborg's life
Dorothy 's hide and seek
Then finally Niles and Rita

That's 6 story arc in a single episode
It was worth it all for the bus punching the male cops reactions in my book. Though I definitely like the other stuff as well, even if Larry's segments almost made me cry.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Cliff goes off the deep end with his mood swings so often, why did it take til now for Niles to propose drugs as a seemingly viable solution? Just inject THC into his brain 24/7 and he would go on far fewer rage fits!

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Well "Bugsnax" has been replaced in my head now with "ghost sex"... Great.

ooOoo! It's ghost sex!
ooOoo! Talking 'bout ghost sex!

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Now that's the Diom Patrol I know. Crazy episode mixed with sprinkles of character development and backstories.