• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the season. God damn it, I might like this show more than Legends of Tomorrow.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just started this show and it's legit one of the best pilots ive seen in years. It's like the TV renaissance right now with all the networks at war. It's more rare for me to come accross a bad show than a good one. But this one seems exceptional. Feels like a film with it's look. More importantly though the characters are interesting and you can associate with them. Hopefully it stays good. 15 episodes is longer than i would expect of something of this quality.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Just started this show and it's legit one of the best pilots ive seen in years. It's like the TV renaissance right now with all the networks at war. It's more rare for me to come accross a bad show than a good one. But this one seems exceptional. Feels like a film with it's look. More importantly though the characters are interesting and you can associate with them. Hopefully it stays good. 15 episodes is longer than i would expect of something of this quality.

It does. There are a couple of slow spots but the show is so heavily character-driven that even the less plotty episodes still have substantial meat on their bones.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
It gets better. I felt like 8 was where it gets exceptional and doesn't really lose steam until the finale which was still prretty great. Basically if you are digging it hard now you are in for a treat.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok......

What happened to Flex and the Dannizens?

Was Niles' lover really the one who attacked Beard Hunter? One never re-appeared and it was confusing while another did and it was also confusing.

Is Vic going to let his father off the hook again this time withholding secrets from his newfound family (and him, by proxy) because it was revealed he and his wife knew what Niles was up to?

No Rita powers again also seemed wasteful but hers was a great character so it didn't matter.

I didn't quite understand why the school caretaker (Joshua?) made a return and why Jane and him were together.

I like that much of the weird can be explained because it's this show but I do think it leaned too heavily on it at times.

Don't make me fall for all these cool and interesting characters if you're going to forget about them in the finale like some dragon show with occasional zombies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ok......

Was Niles' lover really the one who attacked Beard Hunter? One never re-appeared and it was confusing while another did and it was also confusing.

Is Vic going to let his father off the hook again this time withholding secrets from his newfound family (and him, by proxy) because it was revealed he and his wife knew what Niles was up to?

No Rita powers again also seemed wasteful but hers was a great character so it didn't matter.

I didn't quite understand why the school caretaker (Joshua?) made a return and why Jane and him were together.

I like that much of the weird can be explained because it's this show but I do think it leaned too heavily on it at times.

Don't make me fall for all these cool and interesting characters if you're going to forget about them in the finale like some dragon show with occasional zombies.

Flex helped the Dannyzens escape. Presumably they're all safe and fine somewhere. The question is why Flex didn't try to help the team.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've been binging this show Saturday and Sunday, and I'm at Episode 11 now. This is fast approaching favorite comic book show. And I love all the characters. Production values seem super high as well. So many great effects.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Ok......

I assume they made it out fine.

It was Nile's daughter. That was the basement she was being kept in remember?

Tune in next time.

Jane was looking for answers. The caretaker has been working for Niles and keeping some secrets for him for a long time so it's natural she'd go to him.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching this and absolutely loved it. I love that it embraced the weird parts of comics by giving characters like Danny the street. My favorite characters were Jane and Larry. I also really liked Cyborg here.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Cyborg worked surprisingly well. I was really against hsi presence, as he has already been shoehorned into Justice League when he's a natural fit with the Titans. But they used him as "outsider to the outsiders" really well.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I was "eh" on Cyborg by the end of the season. I think he should move on over to the Titans for season 2.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I guess if Im 3 episodes in and don't enjoy the show that particulary, I should call it a quit?

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I guess if Im 3 episodes in and don't enjoy the show that particulary, I should call it a quit?

Probably. The first and second are a bit rough, but if you aren't digging it by 3, it's probably not for you.

It's very character based (as opposed to plot based) so if it's the plot putting you off, but you like the characters, stick around.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Probably. The first and second are a bit rough, but if you aren't digging it by 3, it's probably not for you.

It's very character based (as opposed to plot based) so if it's the plot putting you off, but you like the characters, stick around.
3 was the least good episode in the series, IMO. But still probably a decent gauge.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah. It sort of suck cause I can clearly see it's a quality show with nice production values. I don't mind the characters, but the show is a little too far out there in it's humour for my liking. Maybe I will get back at it one day.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished this last week. Overall i enjoyed it. It goes in a lot of different directions. It started out real good and then loses a bit of steam, but then recovers it. The characters are all great, except Cyborg honestly, he seemed a bit 1 dimensional compared to the others, but wasn't awful. Lot's of great moments in the season though. Curious to see if it gets renewed.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it last week as well and loved it. It was impressive how fearless it was in terms of making characters non-heroic at times, tackling characters that were difficult to do (Danny, Flex) and being willing to lean into the bizarre. I can't imagine that there are many shows with such a big budget that are willing to take such risks.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it last week as well and loved it. It was impressive how fearless it was in terms of making characters non-heroic at times, tackling characters that were difficult to do (Danny, Flex) and being willing to lean into the bizarre. I can't imagine that there are many shows with such a big budget that are willing to take such risks.
Yeah there is a lot of crazy shit in this show and it looks good doing it.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting around to finishing the series, and this part is cracking me up so hard lmao.

SorrowfulHarmfulCottontail.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Doom Patrol has a panel at ComicCon next month. Is this evidence of a season 2 coming?

I mean it's a positive foot

Especially since no mention of Swamp Thing and we know that's dead....

So I guess that no Comic Con thing was just for the movie side then.
I mean WB operates on multiple levels so yeah what the movie side decides doesn't reflect the TV nor comics side really.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's a positive foot

Especially since no mention of Swamp Thing and we know that's dead....

I mean WB operates on multiple levels so yeah what the movie side decides doesn't reflect the TV nor comics side really.
I was under the seemingly wrong belief that WB as a whole was skipping outside of an IT 2 panel. No Stargirl mention is weird because according to the schedule from last year that's the next live action show up after Swamp Thing.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
HOLY FUCK this show is so fucking good! By far my favorite Superhero show (with Cloak and Dagger second) and just show I watched this year in general. The season was longer than the 13 episode marvel netflix shows but none of the episodes bored me or felt like dull padding. And it embraces the stupidity of comics without coming off as overly cheesy or souring the serious parts (take notes ironfist). While jessica jones is pulling a DmC "Not in a million years" with Hellcat, Doom Patrol has a sentient teleporting genderqueer street. Also its nice to see environments that aren't just different alleys or warehouses in new york.

I'm definitely reading Morrisons run after this, I feel bad because I never gave Doom Patrol a chance in the past because I used to be a bias marvel fanboy and thought they were just less cool X-men(and yes even back then I know DP came first), and my only other exposure to them was the teen titans 2003 cartoon and thought they were fucking corny. My first thought from the show is that this captures freakshow outcast aspect of heroes better than the X-Men has most of the time. Also thinking back the addition of beak and angel salvadore in grant morrison's X-men run makes more sense to me as he added two mentally/physically fucked up mutants compared to your handsome warren worthingtons or your goddesses like storm(I still love storm though).

But yeah this show has made me a Doom Patrol fan, I'll be glad to add it to my list of things I love recently that nobody has witnessed(right next to the house in fata morgana)

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, been sloooowly watching this the past couple weeks. Only up to ep 5 so far but it's been really strong. Shockingly so.

Also never read Doom patrol, but considering giving the Morrison run a look after.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
HOLY FUCK this show is so fucking good! By far my favorite Superhero show (with Cloak and Dagger second) and just show I watched this year in general. The season was longer than the 13 episode marvel netflix shows but none of the episodes bored me or felt like dull padding. And it embraces the stupidity of comics without coming off as overly cheesy or souring the serious parts (take notes ironfist). While jessica jones is pulling a DmC "Not in a million years" with Hellcat, Doom Patrol has a sentient teleporting genderqueer street. Also its nice to see environments that aren't just different alleys or warehouses in new york.

I'm definitely reading Morrisons run after this, I feel bad because I never gave Doom Patrol a chance in the past because I used to be a bias marvel fanboy and thought they were just less cool X-men(and yes even back then I know DP came first), and my only other exposure to them was the teen titans 2003 cartoon and thought they were fucking corny. My first thought from the show is that this captures freakshow outcast aspect of heroes better than the X-Men has most of the time. Also thinking back the addition of beak and angel salvadore in grant morrison's X-men run makes more sense to me as he added two mentally/physically fucked up mutants compared to your handsome warren worthingtons or your goddesses like storm(I still love storm though).

But yeah this show has made me a Doom Patrol fan, I'll be glad to add it to my list of things I love recently that nobody has witnessed(right next to the house in fata morgana)

Glad to have you aboard!

While I am not suggesting you go back to the 60s comics, I'd say the Doom Patrol was originally more like the Fantastic Four than X-Men, even though the X-Men comparison gets made a lot. They were basically "what if everyone in the FF were treated like the Thing was." The style of adventures, the genius leader, and they even had a public headquarters.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to have you aboard!

While I am not suggesting you go back to the 60s comics, I'd say the Doom Patrol was originally more like the Fantastic Four than X-Men, even though the X-Men comparison gets made a lot. They were basically "what if everyone in the FF were treated like the Thing was." The style of adventures, the genius leader, and they even had a public headquarters.
Yea, That was how i was thinking around the first couple of episodes. well mainly i was drawing some parallels between mr.robot and the thing but i didn't consider the whole family haha. And thinking back thats the vibe they really had in the teen titans cartoon.

SN: I am slightly upset ritas not in the morrison run as far as i know, she is one of my absolute faves on the show.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, That was how i was thinking around the first couple of episodes. well mainly i was drawing some parallels between mr.robot and the thing but i didn't consider the whole family haha. And thinking back thats the vibe they really had in the teen titans cartoon.

SN: I am slightly upset ritas not in the morrison run as far as i know, she is one of my absolute faves on the show.

Yeah, she was dead then. The history of the team is really interesting, as they all got killed off it what was for the time a pretty permanent way. Then they brought back Robotman, which was the easiest to explain, and had a new team with him. Eventually, however, all the originals came back.

And Robotman is absolutely a Thing analogue.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, she was dead then. The history of the team is really interesting, as they all got killed off it what was for the time a pretty permanent way. Then they brought back Robotman, which was the easiest to explain, and had a new team with him. Eventually, however, all the originals came back.

And Robotman is absolutely a Thing analogue.
So are there any recommendations you have besides morrison? and hows the gerard way run hold up?

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
So are there any recommendations you have besides morrison? and hows the gerard way run hold up?

Gerard Way run is good, what I've read of it. It's like sped-up Morrison.

Rachel Pollack run after Morrison is good.

For more traditional comics, the run *before* Morrison is solid, but it's really quite standard. A different beast.

You mentioned Silver Age corniness, which I actually like, and the originals are pretty weird for their time. But, corny.