• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Still can't believe there has not been a single indication on whether or not DC Universe is going to renew this show or not. In fact DC Universe was announcing all sorts of stuff and then went dark completely. They also stopped filming the last three episodes of Swamp Thing with no explanation.

There has been talk that DC Universe is already going to get canned with potentially some of it's content moving toward The Warner streaming service. At this point it's hard to say whether or not Doom Patrol will come back or not. :(

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I never thought a DC streaming service was a good idea. That seems pretty damn niche to me. Has no potential to dip into the mainstream and is going for the "comic and nerd" culture. I mean if not for the rave reviews I read for Doom Patrol I never would have checked it out. A show like Doom Patrol would strive on a service like Netflix. Maybe not as lucrative for them as their own service, but, there's got to be money potential there with such a unique show.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought a DC streaming service was a good idea. That seems pretty damn niche to me. Has no potential to dip into the mainstream and is going for the "comic and nerd" culture. I mean if not for the rave reviews I read for Doom Patrol I never would have checked it out. A show like Doom Patrol would strive on a service like Netflix. Maybe not as lucrative for them as their own service, but, there's got to be money potential there with such a unique show.

Pretty much. The show always should've been on a service with a wider appeal. It's really not that much of a "superhero show", so limiting its reach solely to, as Mr. Nobody himself put it, "Grant Morrison fans, Reddit trolls with DC subscriptions and the three people who stuck around after the donkey farted" was never going to help it succeed.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I have to say, I remember thinking how odd the positioning of the truck that Cliff hit was. It definitely looked like it had been parked there instead of being jackknifed or crashed. They were probably onsite to keep the brain alive then.

In Rita's case, she fell through a rotted board, right? that wouldn't have been too hard to engineer.

edit: also, it's pretty clear Niles found something right? Because both he and Joshua look like they haven't aged at all.

I don't think Niles' is immortal; I think he just doesn't age. Considering Dorothy's power, Niles' is probably looking for the power to just straight up not die in case one of her creations tries to kill him.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
....still nowhere to be seen in my country's HBO Go OR Netflix

damn I want to do some recommendations ><

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really dug this, but I actually hope they dial back the weirdness and childishness next season. I kind of doubt they're going to since it seems to be their schtick. I want to take this show seriously, but a several minute scene of people cumming because someone flexed the wrong muscle is not that amusing to me.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I really dug this, but I actually hope they dial back the weirdness and childishness next season. I kind of doubt they're going to since it seems to be their schtick. I want to take this show seriously, but a several minute scene of people cumming because someone flexed the wrong muscle is not that amusing to me.

Then Doom Patrol isn't for you, even the comics.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's what Doom Patrol is. They embrace that weirdness.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Funny because to me that was the best tv scene I think I have ever seen. I rewatched it several times. Reviewers and the people commenting on the internet responded mostly positively to it as well. I hope they do more of that weirdness. It definitely seems like not a show for you, and that's ok, not everything is for everybody. But then again, it's also ok if you want them to change to something you enjoy. I just personally hope they don't.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I thought that scene was a little random, but "a little random" is this show's magic.

Hope it gets renewed and hope we get more Flex.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017

Man, they already have dialed it back.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Have there been any news regarding international release? The show should end its US run soon (or ended last weeks?), correct?

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Have there been any news regarding international release? The show should end its US run soon (or ended last weeks?), correct?

Last ep was on Friday. Maybe this is a bit of a tricky sell due to the soundtrack, which is amazingly spot on at times but I really hope it's available to others soon.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Last ep was on Friday. Maybe this is a bit of a tricky sell due to the soundtrack, which is amazingly spot on at times but I really hope it's available to others soon.
Isn't the soundtrack specifically for the show? Unless you mean pop culture songs, which right now I can't remember any. I just remember Clint Mansells amazing work on this

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Big fucking nope. This is the point, you take out the weirdness and childishness and you have some insipid CW shite.
Best Superhero series yet in my opinion, even better than Happy! season 1.

Oct 27, 2017

Weirdness and bizarro humor is Doom Patrol's thing, since the Morrison revival. A couple late 00s runs dialed it back and they were extremely bland.

It has it's own unique identity, fairly faithful to the best of it's inspirations.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a few ways they could go with season 2. Plenty of Morrison baddies left running around. But I do hope they start sneaking in stuff from the Young Animal series. Danny was super prominent in the this season, so there's a lot to work off of already.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
If we get a Season 2 it seems very likely we'll get:
The main focus being almost certainly the Ant Farm/Bureau of Normalcy/Men From N.O.W.H.E.R.E. and the Telephone Avatar, trying to get Dorothy Spinner leading to the Candlemaker.
We'll probably also deal with some of the escapees from the Ant Farm and Mr. Nobody might start up the Brotherhood of Dada.

My hopes:
  • Flex flexing the Pentagon into a circle.
  • Coagula. And her run in with Codpiece.
  • Somehow working 'Doom Force' into an episode

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wonder how close the cast is to Brendan Fraser and Matt Bomer considering they're only the voice actors. However Brendan and Diane had great chemistry when he was out of the suit in the underground scene.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wonder how close the cast is to Brendan Fraser and Matt Bomer considering they're only the voice actors. However Brendan and Diane had great chemistry when he was out of the suit in the underground scene.
They do enough flashback scenes that I imagine they're pretty regular presences on set. Plus stuff like table/line readings.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Finished this last night and thought it was fantastic all the way through, but episode 8 was the definite highlight.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

"It didn't really hit me until a couple weeks before shooting that we had five-page scenes between Robotman and Negative Man in which neither one has a moving mouth, you can't see their faces, and the people talking aren't actually the people in the scene," Carver said. "It felt exciting, but also a little scary!"

He went on to describe how, in Robotman's case specifically, they brought the two parts together.

"We took the two Robotman actors, Brendan and Riley, in a room, and they frankly studied one another," Carver said. "Riley studied Brendan's movements and his acting/speech patterns, and we took something of a risk because we had Brendan perform a scratch track before each episode, but Riley performed the scene on the set. He's listening to Brendan's voice and reacting to that, Riley performs it, but even before I see the cut, they lay in the scratch track from Brendan which we then refine with additional performance. My point being, it's not until weeks and weeks after we shot the first episode that we got a sense of whether it actually worked, and by then we were well on to shooting other episodes. It was a moment of relief, and frankly a moment of magic, to see how Brendan and Riley and Matt and Matthew worked so well in concert with one another. It was one of those things that, had it not worked, it could've been a disaster! The fact that it did work was miraculous."

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm half way through the show and I think I'm in love. This is excellent.

I also can't stop thinking that Larry's actor would make a pretty good Superman.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

I also can't stop thinking that Larry's actor would make a pretty good Superman.
He almost did! He was cast in the project that eventually got turned into Superman Returns, though obviously they ended up changing actors for that. He voiced him in at least one animated movie, too.

Love Bomer.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

Check out the show White Collar on Hulu. He stars as an art thief that was caught and now helps the FBI solve crimes. He's great in it.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
How are we all doing in our first pDP Friday?
giphy.gif

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like pure shit just want Doom Patrol back x

On a side note, here's a fun easter-egg for you guys.
If you have screen-capped this in order to read the text of this article, congratulations! We the writers of Doom Patrol have a super secret message just for you. And that message is this: Please, please, please, please renew your DCU membership. We'd really like to do another season of this foolishness. We get to say fuck a lot. Anyway, thanks a bunch for watching. We should probably get back to writing this bogus article

Last edited:

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
The lack of DP is felt deep in my bones.

And even though I definitely want more, is there anything more Doom Patrol than it getting cancelled to the dismay of its fans? Whether it is the classic getting the axe(with the creators breaking the 4th wall to talk about it and then blowing them up in a cliffhanger) or Giffen's run about to reach its climax only for Ambush Bug to show up and tell everyone they've been cancelled because of Flashpoint, cancellation and failure are as DP as DP can be.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Feel like pure shit just want Doom Patrol back x

On a side note, here's a fun easter-egg for you guys.

This is pretty amusing. I actually do feel bad because I watched the show off of a trial, and it's like one of my favorite shows ever. But until Swamp Thing finishes I probably won't subscribe again. I prefer to binge these shows and not pay for a service every month that I'll only watch one show a week on.

demonicmurry

Oct 26, 2017
This is pretty amusing. I actually do feel bad because I watched the show off of a trial, and it's like one of my favorite shows ever. But until Swamp Thing finishes I probably won't subscribe again. I prefer to binge these shows and not pay for a service every month that I'll only watch one show a week on.

You do what's best for your budget; it's different for everyone. I mean, the most you can do is champion the show to others and hope it doesn't get cancelled. Or champion the service for people that want a neat comics service or Young Justice.

I wonder how many people wound up reading the Doom Patrol Grant Morrison run digitally on there after the season finished.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
You do what's best for your budget; it's different for everyone. I mean, the most you can do is champion the show to others and hope it doesn't get cancelled. Or champion the service for people that want a neat comics service or Young Justice.

I wonder how many people wound up reading the Doom Patrol Grant Morrison run digitally on there after the season finished.
Yeah I've been telling everybody I know it's my favorite show. Hopefully some will check it out. That it hasn't been renewed yet makes me want to send them money lol.