• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's great that none of these characters age and it's never explained (okay, they did explain it for Cyborg.) Once you become hero/villain worthy you stop aging just like you would in the comics.

Oct 25, 2017
So they wrote bad lines for one character but everyone else gets the stuff of scene-chewing legend?
Honestly? Yes. The character is exceedingly thin and the dramatic hooks set-up for future developments mostly terrible. They had a clear path forward for the other characters it's clear they didn't know what to do with Cyborg.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly? Yes. The character is exceedingly thin and the dramatic hooks set-up for future developments mostly terrible. They had a clear path forward for the other characters it's clear they didn't know what to do with Cyborg.

Since DC is very protective of the character it makes me wonder if they meddled with it. You could remove Cyborg from the plot entirely (just sub Negative Man for when he gets captured) and it probably wouldn't change much.

Oct 25, 2017
Since DC is very protective of the character it makes me wonder if they meddled with it. You could remove Cyborg from the plot entirely (just sub Negative Man for when he gets captured) and it probably wouldn't change much.
I don't want to try and speculate because I really have no idea about the creative process of the show or it's background, but I also wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what happened.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Beautiful episode, I feel they have cyborg in the series to be the audience. It feels like they have a clear vision where they want the villain, doom patrol, and stories to lead, but add cyborg to the mix to be the audience and kinda just let him free float, which is why his story is never really addressed.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I like Cyborg. I think he has been written the way he is because he is a fish out of water. He's a more traditional superhero, more straightforward and stereotypical. I think he acts as a good contrast to his wacky and fucked up teammates. He's almost like the straight man to the Doom Patrol characters.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Cyborg is fine in the show, though he is clearly the outsider and written as such. I wouldn't mind if his arc took him out after this season.

I thought the Rita stuff landed flat. Flex was great though. Dianne Guerrero is still the best.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Xbox app look terrible for anyone else?

It looks like a really poorly compressed 1080p image. I thought they had 4K streaming available?

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked Fraser's terrible acting, and his clinging to the Daytime Emmy possibility. Bit confused about the soap though, thought it was to placate Flex but didn't really get why Robotman was it unless there is a bigger arc to come.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
Aw, I really like this take on Cyborg, he's not my favorite character on the show (that's Rita), but I think he sells his role perfectly fine. I never feel like I'm missing out on something great when the show decides to focus on Cyborg a bit.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Speaking of comics, Doom Patrol is relaunching this July and will be bringing back Elasti-Girl.

DOOM PATROL: WEIGHT OF THE WORLDS #1 - JULY 3RD, 2019

STL123891

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
A bonus to watching Doom Patrol is having access to all these comics. ive kept my distance from DP comics because id rather experience it in show first while im in the middle of the story. Once season 1 ends im going through all of these.
Flex Mentallo is... not exactly a Doom Patrol comic. It's its own kettle of fish.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
A bonus to watching Doom Patrol is having access to all these comics. ive kept my distance from DP comics because id rather experience it in show first while im in the middle of the story. Once season 1 ends im going through all of these.

I'd suggest starting with Crawling From The Wreckage, the beginning of the Morrison / Case stuff. Before that it is kind of schlocky but readable, but the first issues of the series before Morrison are a bit rubbish in retrospect. This is kind of a decent explainer : https://www.cbr.com/doom-patrol-grant-morrison-crawling-wreckage/

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
I'd suggest starting with Crawling From The Wreckage, the beginning of the Morrison / Case stuff. Before that it is kind of schlocky but readable, but the first issues of the series before Morrison are a bit rubbish in retrospect. This is kind of a decent explainer : https://www.cbr.com/doom-patrol-grant-morrison-crawling-wreckage/
Maybe but its only 19 issues right? Thats like an hour or two with no additional financial investment so i might just blow through them so i have full context. If its atrocious ill take your advice and move on right to the good stuff though. Thanks!

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe but its only 19 issues right? Thats like an hour or two with no additional financial investment so i might just blow through them so i have full context. If its atrocious ill take your advice and move on right to the good stuff though. Thanks!

It's not atrocious, it's just kind of late 80s boring, but I would just say that most of the characters in the first 19 issues don't make to the start of Morrison's run so don't worry too much about them. I don't think they're even referenced other than very briefly. Kind of like Milligan's run starting on X-Force if you've read that. (And if you haven't, I highly recommend that.)

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It's not atrocious, it's just kind of late 80s boring, but I would just say that most of the characters in the first 19 issues don't make to the start of Morrison's run so don't worry too much about them. I don't think they're even referenced other than very briefly. Kind of like Milligan's run starting on X-Force if you've read that. (And if you haven't, I highly recommend that.)

"Doom Patrol Patrol" seemed like a nod to all the pre-history of the characters, thematically. Of course the show and the comics have completely different histories.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix run is so good and gives such strong feels.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
So we have like, one episode left for this season and I've loved every single one so far. This is a new record for me.

Edit:
Full pilot episode is available for free on YouTube for US only!
Tell everyone to watch it, now.

Last edited:

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Had to stop the episode to come here... this fucking show lol

edit:
Finished watching. This is some of the most amazing television ive ever seen.

Last edited:

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit!

--

Edit, need to see a higher resolution version of this!

41655F68-B5CE-4E79-A63B-6FADDB559ABD.jpeg

Last edited:

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
holy shit that ending

EDit: LMFAO that part

flex flexxed the wrong muscle and everyone had to orgasm even danny? LOL

and the fact that flex is explaining he flexxed the wrong parts of a specific muscle group! I love this show!

Last edited:

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
It started with some cracking one-liners before that incredible orgasm scene that gave me the biggest laugh I've had in a long time. Then it moved on to the emotional character moments driven by Mr. Nobody's meta-narration before the Doom Patrol flipped the script. Then there was a clever anticlimactic battle, a surprise time loop and a crushing revelation.

The cast and crew all deserve Emmys.