• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
i was seriously considering going to see Endgame but then i remembered its Friday and Doom Patrol is up!

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Goddamn it, got something in my eye again.

--

Edit: could have done without the Beardhunter drainage gobbling starting the recap though!

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Another great episode.

This show just gets the characters so perfectly(well, those not named Cyborg) that they can build a whole heartfelt moment around a character we don't know eulogizing another character we don't know and have that not only be a truly beautiful moment but also a profound one for Cliff.

Now Cyborg...these last few episodes have kind of crystallized my problems with him. It isn't the actor(who is fine, especially when he is allowed to be fun) or even anything about the character in isolation, but rather how he does/does not mesh with the rest of the show. As this episode showed quite nicely, Doom Patrol is a heavily character-driven show. Mr. Nobody's evil scheme, the search for the Chief, all of the weird and wild stuff is in service to the characters at the center of it, the not-Doom Patrol.

But when you look at Cyborg and how the show uses him, it is all plot. We get portentous warnings about him, that painting, multiple moments where he becomes a real threat to everyone around him, Grid. None of it is about him as a person.
And this is all typified by the very last moment of this very episode with Cyborg getting kidnapped by the Bureau of Normalcy. This episode gave us everything from the elaborate look at Larry, to the short but biting "No one saved me." from Jane, all the way to the incredibly minor bit of Rita getting charmed with some chicken, it is all character. And Cliff, lords above, could there be a harder left turn than going from Cliff leaving the watch to Cyborg's predicament?

And maybe most damning, even when Jane is directly talking to Cyborg about his whole 'turned off Grid' thing, the show manages to make her half of the conversation seem deeply rooted in her character, we know who she is and what she has gone through and that she would turn it off in a second if she could(a notion that we the audience understand. She could've said nothing and we still would know her exact thought on the matter). But Cyborg has turned it off and it doesn't inform anything about him, but it moves his plot along.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
I adored that. The second half was just lovely, this is Larry's best episode by far and really pays off everything that's been going on with him in some achingly sweet scenes. The show has struck quite a clever angle by continually returning to the idea of lost time and old age. And Cliff's storyline with Frances was an endearing mix of pathos with amusingly off-beat symbolism (was anyone else reminded of that one episode of Atlanta?).

Also wow these Cyborg scenes are getting increasingly disturbing

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Another great episode.

This show just gets the characters so perfectly(well, those not named Cyborg) that they can build a whole heartfelt moment around a character we don't know eulogizing another character we don't know and have that not only be a truly beautiful moment but also a profound one for Cliff.

Now Cyborg...these last few episodes have kind of crystallized my problems with him. It isn't the actor(who is fine, especially when he is allowed to be fun) or even anything about the character in isolation, but rather how he does/does not mesh with the rest of the show. As this episode showed quite nicely, Doom Patrol is a heavily character-driven show. Mr. Nobody's evil scheme, the search for the Chief, all of the weird and wild stuff is in service to the characters at the center of it, the not-Doom Patrol.

But when you look at Cyborg and how the show uses him, it is all plot. We get portentous warnings about him, that painting, multiple moments where he becomes a real threat to everyone around him, Grid. None of it is about him as a person.
And this is all typified by the very last moment of this very episode with Cyborg getting kidnapped by the Bureau of Normalcy. This episode gave us everything from the elaborate look at Larry, to the short but biting "No one saved me." from Jane, all the way to the incredibly minor bit of Rita getting charmed with some chicken, it is all character. And Cliff, lords above, could there be a harder left turn than going from Cliff leaving the watch to Cyborg's predicament?

And maybe most damning, even when Jane is directly talking to Cyborg about his whole 'turned off Grid' thing, the show manages to make her half of the conversation seem deeply rooted in her character, we know who she is and what she has gone through and that she would turn it off in a second if she could(a notion that we the audience understand. She could've said nothing and we still would know her exact thought on the matter). But Cyborg has turned it off and it doesn't inform anything about him, but it moves his plot along.

I really don't know why Cyborg is here, honestly. Could do without him. Maybe they needed a known character to have people interested? That and because they needed representation? Maybe could have added someone else. He's just not meshing here for me and I don't care for him.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't know why Cyborg is here, honestly. Could do without him. Maybe they needed a known character to have people interested? That and because they needed representation? Maybe could have added someone else. He's just not meshing here for me and I don't care for him.

While Cyborg is kind of a boring character I think the actor who plays him is pretty dull in this and doesn't help. Maybe all the body horror will bring him out more.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England

I think the basic idea of it is that, among a team of freaks who don't feel like they can be heroes, Cyborg is more of a "proper" hero who is nonetheless as much of a freak of nature as the others (and rapidly has his illusions of grandeur unravel). He also seems to be turning into a parallel of Cliff.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Cyborg has really grown on me since his introduction. After today i need a Cronenberg-esque Cyborg episode to happen.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I think the basic idea of it is that, among a team of freaks who don't feel like they can be heroes, Cyborg is more of a "proper" hero who is nonetheless as much of a freak of nature as the others (and rapidly has his illusions of grandeur unravel). He also seems to be turning into a parallel of Cliff.

This is how I see it too.

This episode, like every other episode, had me feeling some type of way. Larry finally gets the chance to move on and it was fucking lovely ;_; Then Cliff gets the watch back ;_;

The spoiler from last page seems to be true in some sense in regards to Cyborg.

Edit: that transition from the classic Moon River to the modern rendition by Frank Ocean was damn good.

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
I only was on DCU for a month in Jan I really disliked Titans, and only watched 1 episode of Young Justice and figured I was burned out over Superhero media for a while. Yet I subbed to DC Universe for a year when they put up the comics as I still love comics.

Four episodes into Doom Patrol.. this shit is great! It works with it's budget. The writing is edgy but not tryhard (like preacher). The cast is great and seem to want to be there unlike some of these shows. I read the Morrison run and don't remember much. I bought the Way run and never really got to it. So a lot of this is fresh.
I also think this Cyborg may be the best version of the character and for sure did not expect that.
I wonder what the viewership is like though? I can't find anything about a season 2 yet.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Ok episode.
Cliff part wasn't as good.
Negative Man's has a chapter closing in his book

You know the small detail I like about this show.
The crew only gets a look when they are out the public and the NPC just carries on. No need to waste story of shock and scared people.
Nurse sees Negative Man... oh your his friend. Come in.

Each episode of this is better than the entire MCU.
I mean 2 hour movie vs 13 episodes show. Which one do you think can flesh out characters more.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok episode.
Cliff part wasn't as good.
Negative Man's has a chapter closing in his book

You know the small detail I like about this show.
The crew only gets a look when they are out the public and the NPC just carries on. No need to waste story of shock and scared people.
Nurse sees Negative Man... oh your his friend. Come in.

I mean 2 hour movie vs 13 episodes show. Which one do you think can flesh out characters more.

Over the course of 20 movies you probably have the time.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
Over the course of 20 movies you probably have the time.
Has there been 22 movies of Captain America.... where you can focus on the characters like tv show?

I would like to see an entire movie of Rocket Raccoon where you get his entire past. But alas no. You get a dialogue.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Wow they fucked up with Frank Ocean's struggle vocals moon river cover at the end. Took me out the scene

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Anyone watching this show on CraveTV in Canada? Why is it way behind where the show is at? The last episode on there is the one with the Re-Creator stuff.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Loved Negative Man and Robotman in this episode. Really hope that robotman can introduce himself to his daughter

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Did anybody sign up for DCU during the 80cent Batman sale? I was going to cancel my sub but I looked at my account and it says it is going to renew again at 80cents. Must be a glitch but going to wait and see what I get charged..took some screenshots just in case

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's given up because she already had a father who she viewed as a superhero. There's nothing more Cliff can offer her. The watch was a parting gift.

I guess that's one way to think of it, but if i was his daughter i would've wanted to see robotman. Yes i had another father take his place, but knowing there is another would be something positive. Cliff's existence would be enough.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's one way to think of it, but if i was his daughter i would've wanted to see robotman. Yes i had another father take his place, but knowing there is another would be something positive. Cliff's existence would be enough.

Thing is: Cliff feels an immense guilt. He feels guilty for cheating his wife, for how he handled his family and even for the accident itself. His daughter was the best part of his life/memories but he feels that he needs to offer something for his faults and for not being there as she grew up. But because of his guilt, he feels he has nothing to offer. That was something Rita was trying to say to him: just be there, say that he is sorry, is enough. But he does not feel that way. I hope he can star valueing himself again and closes his arc with his daughter. From the DP crew, he is the most stuck in this season, all the others made progress trying to solve their issues. Larry this episode was great, he finally accepted himself.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
So im going back and rewatching the dreams with Larry and John now knowing who exactly Larry was talking to. If you havent rewatched it after the last episode i highly suggest you do. That part at 2:25.. great stuff.

Doom Patrol is some of the strongest tv to ever be released. Its a shame very few people seem to be watching.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Now this was a lovely episode.
I think we will get cyborg and rita centric episodes soon before the grand finale.
Cyborg turning into a machine is some nightmarish shit. Like at least Cliff has his brain which keeps part of his humanity, Grid is likely taking over and will erase Cyborg's entire self if left unchecked.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Now this was a lovely episode.
I think we will get cyborg and rita centric episodes soon before the grand finale.
Cyborg turning into a machine is some nightmarish shit. Like at least Cliff has his brain which keeps part of his humanity, Grid is likely taking over and will erase Cyborg's entire self if left unchecked.
Next episode is literally titled Cyborg Patrol so I think you're on to something.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Speaking of titles, when I read the title of the ep., I thought it'd take place in France, meaning the gang would go to France XP

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
722, it's him, isn't it?

hero of the beach!

Wow, Cliff's lift joke amazingly timely.

Edit, oh man. That music!

The butts!

You did it!

Last edited:

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Starting the ep now but did they just add HDR and 4k to their service? I swear it wasn't before but I got an HDR notification when I started the latest one

OP
OP
Penguin

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I thought Rita's entrance would be the strangest thing this episode BUTT... it happened

And that was a downer of an ending.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Wow what an episode! That ending was horrifying.

There other day there was a thread about Legion S3 and i recommended the show there because the two shows share that comic wtf-ness. In Cyborg Patrol with the Bureau i couldnt help but think of Division 3.

edit:
i love the promos for this show because they do a very good job of not spoiling much. i want the promo music for a ringtone!

Last edited:

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
The Butts are Loose! I didn't expect literal butts lol.

Mr. Nobody continues to be an asshole and fucked with Cyborg just enough to make him do things on his "own" volition. Didn't expect Karen to pop up though. My guy was dancing and shit until he made a mistake!

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When they released the prisoners there was one bald menacing guy who stood out, wonder who that is?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Holy SHIT what an episode!

This show is firing on all cylinders to just incredible effect.