• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Is this a precedent? Nine episodes without one of them being close to not being extremely creative, inspiring and creative AF?
Every week I think, this must be the one episode that doesn't totally work and has problems, and yet this episode still hasn't come.

I love it when creators are this inspired to make everything count. Even Buffy, my favorite show of all time didn't manage this level of storywriting quality.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I'm actually kind of surprised they've handled what happened to Kay with as much subtly as they have.

This show just keeps getting better, without a doubt the best Superhero show going. Diane Guerrero is amazing, she makes every character believable. Nice how they used different actors when inside her head. Wonder if it was a choice or due to budget, whichever, it worked.
Probably faster that way and easier to give them unique looks.

Best episode of the season, IMO.

The music, the settings, the personalities, not to mention the usual high quality writing and character moments. I like Penny.

I'm so happy they are finding good excuses to get Brendan Fraser and Matt Bomer on screen. It would be a waste just to hear their voices.

Tatiana Maslany winning an Emmy for Orphan Black gives me hope that Diane Guerrero will at least get a nomination this year. She deserves 64 awards!
Diane Guerrero has been great but what Tatiana was doing was a good deal more complex though and it still took forever to recognize her.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized that the logo on Driver 8s cap is the infinity symbol.

Also the preview is something else like all DP previews.

vKgFM63.gif

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
One minute after Willoughby started speaking, I knew it was supposed to be Constantine but editorial/producers fucked it up. After a Google, I confirmed I was right, just didn't realize it was from like the 90's when John was still in Vertigo.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
yeah but why there are pictures of Miranda and the father with baby?

MfC5Ww5.png

Maybe the picture with the baby is actually baby Kay with her mother and father, and the other picture may be a photo when Miranda was the primary host or even a photo of young Kay's mother, which inspired the creation of Miranda. Just speculating.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Is this a precedent? Nine episodes without one of them being close to not being extremely creative, inspiring and creative AF?
Every week I think, this must be the one episode that doesn't totally work and has problems, and yet this episode still hasn't come.

I love it when creators are this inspired to make everything count. Even Buffy, my favorite show of all time didn't manage this level of storywriting quality.

I said it before, but it helps a lot that the Doom Patrol is really only a loosely assembled team and they can explore pretty much brand new things with each episode, instead of being tied down on a single plot path. Like the underlying search for Niles is still there, but they just go off on ridiculous tangents, which not only frees them creatively but also allows them to give the characters much more depth than something like Titans.

It also helps you forgive the fact that there's so much deus ex machina involved. Like the Negative Man has to be responsible for like at least half the plot resolutions so far.

Last edited:

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I said it before, but it helps a lot that the Doom Patrol is really only a loosely assembled team and they can explore pretty much brand new things with each episode, instead of being tied down on a single plot path. Like the underlying search for Niles is still there, but they just go off on ridiculous tangents, which not only frees them creatively but also allows them to give the characters much more depth than something like Titans.

It also helps you forgive the fact that there's so much deus ex machina involved. Like the Negative Man has to be responsible for like at least half the plot resolutions so far.

It helps the show is based on a great comic run (Morrison). The last episode was basically Doom Patrol #30.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
It helps the show is based on a great comic run (Morrison). The last episode was basically Doom Patrol #30.

True, although the character moments are largely created by the show itself. I've been re-reading the Morrison run and sometimes I miss Rita or even Cyborg. Even the characters they have in common (Cliff, Traynor/Rebis, Jane) are so different.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my, oh my, oh my...Flex Mentallo. Repeat: FLEX MENTALLO.
De-Ablkb-UQAAg4s-S.jpg

The rest of the episode was great as expected. I would say this version of the Beard Hunter was an improvement over the comic original("Mom, where are my shuriken?!") and everything with Niles was a nice change of pace and completely unexpected.

potentially SPOILER-y thought:
So Dorothy Spinner is totally going to be Niles' kid, right?

Oct 25, 2017
That Flex Mentallo setup. Oh baby.

Another really good episode. I wasn't expecting to get something so heavy on Niles, but it was really nice to see. This show just constantly delivers.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Good episode, I liked the serious of it and the sprinkles of comedy they had. Love it when this show can mix both and tell a story. Love this show.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Not as strong as recent episodes but only because of the high standard they set. The stuff with Niles and Slava was good and Beard Hunter was funny/gross.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
So am I right in thinking that the stone age woman is the reason Niles doesn't age and the reason that Mr. Nobody took him in the first place?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
🤢 that drainage hair consumption
That was so fuckin' gross

I luv it

What they did with Beard Hunter was... I dunno, I liked the way how in the comic he was sort of a Punisher parody, you know? Extremely masculine and edgy, but at the end of the day just a loser and a weirdo. Here he's just a loser and a weirdo.

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
Goddamit this is a pretty good show, much better then Titans in my honest opinion, every episode, there's at least a few scene's that make me chuckle. I do have to admit, i have no way of watching this legally currently, it not up on netflix yet, might be in a month or two, so i have to download it. (EU here).

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Man this recent episode was gross, like when beard hunter was looking at cyborg. Totes whould have had the same reaction

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I loved this episode. Every thing with Beard Hunter had me laughing hysterically, and the Niles story was exceptional. Timothy Dalton sold the shit out of it.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they were going to do an abrupt cut before he ate the hair but they didn't.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
My greatest adventure 51 has a text story on that page, but it does have a Charles Atlas ad on the inside back cover.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure we find out later, but what's with the Niles doll at the end?

And the monster. I did not get that, though that he would face Mr. Nobody.

This episode was the first that I could not watch in one sitting. Something did not clicked on me. Bear Hunter stuff was weird but not enjoyable. The Chief story was great because of Dalton's performance but overall quite slow. Still an amazing show though.

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to know where they're going with this Cyborg thing. Only thing I can think of is the old
"Vic Stone died, he's an A.I facsimile" thing, but that seems basic.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The thing I thought was odd was that Beard Hunter seemed like he was fine if Cyborg blasted him to smithereens. Like maybe he knew they would override it but he was downright giddy and he was darned lucky they pulled that first shot then shut it down.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to know where they're going with this Cyborg thing. Only thing I can think of is the old
"Vic Stone died, he's an A.I facsimile" thing, but that seems basic.

Maybe

his father actually caused the accident that killed his mom and crippled him, and he also messed with Vic's memories to hide that.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
De-Ablkb-UQAAg4s-S.jpg

The rest of the episode was great as expected. I would say this version of the Beard Hunter was an improvement over the comic original("Mom, where are my shuriken?!") and everything with Niles was a nice change of pace and completely unexpected.

Oh shit
that is what he meant by the girl?!
Id completely forgotten about Dorothy but it now makes sense, esp. Considering what her powers were in the comic

Really good ep. Focused on Caulder. He did the right thing imo, that could not have been resolved without conflict on Niles' end and he just did what he had to do.
Also Rita couldve just punched beard hunter, come on girl.

Anyways the finale of the ep. Was something alright.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
De-Ablkb-UQAAg4s-S.jpg

My theory exactly regarding the spoiler.
The powerset is just too similar, and being the child of the ancient psychic tribal lady would explain her appearance. And considering in the comics she was put up for adoption and raised by an abusive family, the show has several ways it could accomplish that

Also, on Cyborg:

I've been noticing the show crediting Geoff Johns and Jason Fabok, and while Johns has worked on Doom Patrol, Fabok hasn't to my knowledge. He did, however, works with Johns on a JLA run featuring the Crime Syndicate of America, which featured an evil Cyborg counterpart from Earth-2 named Grid. Given that's the name of Cyborg's onboard AI that is on the fritz, and the painting, it seems pretty obvious that Grid is gonna be taking over at some point.

Last edited:

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
The CGI in this episode.... I don't wanna hear about that car crash scene in Titans again. But other than that this was another good episode