• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
The show's intro is great btw.

Also i like Cyborg in this. I understand peeps dislike of the character but i personally dont mind him.

Edit- also anyone got a sticker or whatsapp sticker for cliff with wtf written around him?

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Also i like Cyborg in this. I understand peeps dislike of the character but i personally dont mind him.

I feel like he was a bit of a nonentity in the first couple of episodes but now he is basically just as cool as the rest of the cast. Not as quirky but a good, well developed character.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So, got caught up with this. Danny the Street was executed PERFECTLY. Like, holy shit, I never imagined it'd be this damn good. The episode with the puppets was extraordinary. Every episode, you can feel the characters growing and changing, but they never really lose sight of what makes them, them. Also really enjoyed that they went and tried therapy, which is the big obvious step that for some reason superheroes never really seem to take. They really need a professional tho. I will admit, I skipped over most of the Karen stuff last episode. Very low tolerance for that kind of thing.

Current character rankings: Jane>Larry>Cliff>Rita>Vic>Chief, but honestly, I like 'em all pretty well. Strong characterizations all around.

I also went and watched the Doom Patrol episode of Titans and man, that's some early installment weirdness. Excepting Cliff, the team is way better adjusted, and the Chief is significantly more villainous there.

Definitely one of the detriments of being on a niche streaming service. This woulda blew up on Netflix I feel, similar to Daredevil.
Never say die. It's ending up on Netflix after the season wraps, isn't it?

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
I also went and watched the Doom Patrol episode of Titans and man, that's some early installment weirdness. Excepting Cliff, the team is way better adjusted, and the Chief is significantly more villainous there.

That is because Timothy Dalton is a way better actor, not meaning that The Chief is less villainous 😉

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
That is because Timothy Dalton is a way better actor, not meaning that The Chief is less villainous 😉
The Chief has a proven track record of putting his ass on the line and fighting Nazis and stuff - totally out of character for the Titans chief, who was basically just a controlling mad scientist.

And hah, I was right!

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
The Chief has a proven track record of putting his ass on the line and fighting Nazis and stuff - totally out of character for the Titans chief, who was basically just a controlling mad scientist.

And hah, I was right!

Have you read Morrison's run which the show is basically based on?

And remember Kipling already alluded that The Chief he knows is not exactly like the Doom Patrol members think he is.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Have you read Morrison's run which the show is basically based on?

And remember Kipling already alluded that The Chief he knows is not exactly like the Doom Patrol members think he is.
Yeah - I referenced that in my original post. Calder's attitude and history here doesn't really square with the Morrison take, either. I'm not saying that he can't or won't be revealed to be just as much of a manipulative asshole, but it seems that they're going in a different direction.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah - I referenced that in my original post. Calder's attitude and history here doesn't really square with the Morrison take, either. I'm not saying that he can't or won't be revealed to be just as much of a manipulative asshole, but it seems that they're going in a different direction.

Let's spoiler this discussion for the sake of the non-comics readers:

after Morrison many other writers also used the "manipulative" Chief, to the point the DP members don't trust him at all. I think he is still that way currently.

He is not a basic asshole however. He believes in saving the humanity, but no matter how, and usually in his distorced ways.

In the Doom Patrol Patrol episode there are some glimpses that show a distorced Chief.

Considering that Timothy Dalton is listed as a guest star, not a regular, maybe this is the direction the show is going on.

And to be true, the DP members are way more functional now that the Chief is missing than in decades under his supervision,

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Let's spoiler this discussion for the sake of the non-comics readers:

after Morrison many other writers also used the "manipulative" Chief, to the point the DP members don't trust him at all. I think he is still that way currently.

He is not a basic asshole however. He believes in saving the humanity, but no matter how, and usually in his distorced ways.

In the Doom Patrol Patrol episode there are some glimpses that show a distorced Chief.

Considering that Timothy Dalton is listed as a guest star, not a regular, maybe this is the direction the show is going on.

And to be true, the DP members are way more functional now that the Chief is missing than in decades under his supervision,
The attitude is just completely different, though. Setting aside that we see that Calder has a long history of outright heroics, going around shooting nazis, seeming to make a real effort to help people, and apparently giving people the opportunity to really leave... it's hard to square that with the man that literally caused all the "accidents" that formed the Morrison patrol. He's not perfect, and he's definitely got a dark side, but he's not that bad. That's what I mean by "more" heroic. Not that he's a white hat, but that he's a lot closer to it than I'd seen before.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Botched?

The Chief is definitely morally shady right now. He is definitely gaslighting the guy who the guy who he dumped the Doom Patrol on(which is a whole other issue). I feel like he only lets them "leave" because he knows they're gonna come back every time. A prime example of that would be Jane. There's also the fact that Cliff was forced into a body without his own choice and not allowed to see or let his daughter know he was alive. There's just so much foreshadowing that I know that other shoe is gonna drop HARD.

Last edited:

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
The attitude is just completely different, though. Setting aside that we see that Calder has a long history of outright heroics, going around shooting nazis, seeming to make a real effort to help people, and apparently giving people the opportunity to really leave... it's hard to square that with the man that literally caused all the "accidents" that formed the Morrison patrol. He's not perfect, and he's definitely got a dark side, but he's not that bad. That's what I mean by "more" heroic. Not that he's a white hat, but that he's a lot closer to it than I'd seen before.

I am not so sure. Everything we know about the Chief past in the show is told to us, not showed (like in the puppet show). This could be deceiving.

He seems to care for the members of the Doom Patrol, but that does not mean he is not manipulating them. Even if he allows people to "leave" they never left (aside Jane who seems to lived outside the manor for some time). He even let Cliff literally closed in the manor by not letting him know about his daughter (after a while a good recovery therapy would be letting Cliff knows the truth and look for the real world outside). None of the members faced their real problems and got any better under his watch, they spent decades in a limbo, a freak collection.

Remember that even Morrison Chief did what he did (cause the accidents) because he though that was for the better of the members.

This revelation could be a season finale twist and a nice setup for future seasons.

But we will see.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
The Titans episode can still fit I think. There are time gaps in the first episode. One can say they were better for a time but got worse when BB left or he caused a difference and without him they went back to how they always where. The big issue is the Chief in that episode. It want.them to be in the same universe in the end. Or maybe they were different dimensions that can get merged off screen.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What? They literally say it's in the same world, just not the same continuity. It's kinda like how the Flash backdoor pilot in Arrow has a lot of continuity errors with the actual Flash pilot, though of course they've made more of an effort to connect them afterwards in that universe than they did here.

"They're in the same world," he confirms, but then clarifies. "We're asking fans to come to this version of the show knowing that it is the same world, but it's a different continuity. While there are elements of Titans and the show's introduction of our team, not all characterizations are the same and it's best just to come into it with a fresh look."

He laughs again, then adds, "I know people get very particular about it and I think that's fair. The best thing I can say to the fans is don't look for the same continuity from the Titans introduction of the Doom Patrol to Doom Patrol's Doom Patrol. That will bring the most enjoyment instead of looking around corners for something that you may have thought was there from Titans."

"Being super honest, maybe more honest than I'm supposed to be, there's a way you can squint and see where that version fits into this version," he says. "But from my opinion, it's best to say that it's a new and different version."

Basically they're saying enjoy the shows separately and there's no plans for crossover, but know that the background and history they're alluding to in terms of the larger DC universe is the same.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'd say Titans is the one that feels like an elevated CW show. Doom Patrol is the one that feels like quality television in every aspect.

Yeah, in a weird way because Doom Patrol meanders so much and isn't as straightforward, it allows for more character development than Titans seemed to manage.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I think it was pretty clear when non-Constantine told Niles would have no problem killing the kid that it is not the most moral Niles

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all caught up now. Just finished Danny Patrol....I LOVE THIS SHOW! That music sequence! The ending to that was sad. Honestly outside of Black Lightning watching Titans, this, and Young Justice has made it hard for me to watch the other CW shows. I don't dislike them but I'm just not that interested anymore when I have these and compare the quality. I don't mind missing episodes and not in a rush watch them off the dvr until several days later. It's not just that platforms are different (you can and can't do certain things) there is just so much more care and thought I feel going into this show or these shows in general then when I look at Flash, Arrow, Supergirl, and Legends.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
I hope everyone is excited on the next episode

GOING TO JANES UNDERGROUND!!!!!

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Finally caught up, and not gonna lie, I teared up when Larry sang, and was crushed when it wasn't real.

Everything about Danny was perfect.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Leave it to Doom Patrol to have an episode take place in the mental landscape of a character with multiple personalities and have said episode also be the least weird. Another great one.

But Jane, stop being so mean to Penny please.

And the next episode...oh yes. He is coming.
Ernest-Franklin-001.png

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Leave it to Doom Patrol to have an episode take place in the mental landscape of a character with multiple personalities and have said episode also be the least weird. Another great one.

But Jane, stop being so mean to Penny please.

And the next episode...oh yes. He is coming.
Ernest-Franklin-001.png
Holy shit, I can't wait to get home and watch this episode. They're really going there?

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that was intense. Especially that whole final section. I definitely started tearing up. This show really is too good every week.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best episodes of the season for sure. This show is so much better than Titans. I hope season 2 can be the same quality at least but I'm expecting Robin the show part 2 again.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Sooooooo I'm a little lost
Is the implication that her dad sexually abused her or was it that he was trying to push her into suicide with him?

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
What an episode. Love the different personalities and different look. Great execution.

So Rita and Cyborg did some "kids are away" bonding

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit,
That might just have been my favorite episode of television ever.
Literally the only negative was that it had to end.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Best episode of the season, IMO.

The music, the settings, the personalities, not to mention the usual high quality writing and character moments. I like Penny.

I'm so happy they are finding good excuses to get Brendan Fraser and Matt Bomer on screen. It would be a waste just to hear their voices.

Tatiana Maslany winning an Emmy for Orphan Black gives me hope that Diane Guerrero will at least get a nomination this year. She deserves 64 awards!

Last edited:

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
HOLY FUCK!

That was absolutely amazing. I love Jane even more now, and Cliff. Jane is my favorite without a doubt

Black Annis versus Cliff was intense and such a cool fucking scene. I love all of Jane's personalities and the whole pacing of the episode was amazing.

This show is definitely my 2nd favorite show ever and I'm going to have to think long and hard about whether it is tied for first after the season ends.

Oh yeah, Penny Farthing is frigging an adorable character, too.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
This show just keeps getting better, without a doubt the best Superhero show going. Diane Guerrero is amazing, she makes every character believable. Nice how they used different actors when inside her head. Wonder if it was a choice or due to budget, whichever, it worked.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
This show just keeps getting better, without a doubt the best Superhero show going. Diane Guerrero is amazing, she makes every character believable. Nice how they used different actors when inside her head. Wonder if it was a choice or due to budget, whichever, it worked.

It had to be due to choice, it being due to budget doesn't make sense because using so many different actors would cost more than just using 1, no?

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I counted around 22 of 64 personalities in the episode. Unless the Sisters count as one and not three, I don't know. Either way, there's a ton that didn't make an appearance.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I counted around 22 of 64 personalities in the episode. Unless the Sisters count as one and not three, I don't know. Either way, there's a ton that didn't make an appearance.
Much like in the comic then as i dont recall many of her personalities being revealed in there either.
The sisters would be one personality.