• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This show is genuinely great, and I think Titans is pretty solid(Hoping season two coalesces better). These are leaps and bounds above any other hero shows.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Another great episode, probably my favorite one yet.

But with that said this episode, despite being so overwhelmingly character focused, actually shows quite clearly just why Cyborg doesn't belong here. They can have him accidentally kill his saintly mother, they can have his dad be a terrible father who has kept Vic unintentionally isolated from his humanity, they can have him question and be wary of the robotic half of his being, but his superhero nature/affliction and his problems are completely milquetoast compared to everyone else.

They have pushed Cyborg as far as they can without radically changing the character and it still isn't 1/64 DP enough. Rita triumphantly getting out of the basement just to puddle back down again, Cliff's sensory-deprivation fueled rage, Larry's continued melancholic self-flagellation, Jane in her entirety, Vic Stone might as well be the definition of normal compared to them.

Bona to vada, Danny.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Another great episode, probably my favorite one yet.

But with that said this episode, despite being so overwhelmingly character focused, actually shows quite clearly just why Cyborg doesn't belong here. They can have him accidentally kill his saintly mother, they can have his dad be a terrible father who has kept Vic unintentionally isolated from his humanity, they can have him question and be wary of the robotic half of his being, but his superhero nature/affliction and his problems are completely milquetoast compared to everyone else.

They have pushed Cyborg as far as they can without radically changing the character and it still isn't 1/64 DP enough. Rita triumphantly getting out of the basement just to puddle back down again, Cliff's sensory-deprivation fueled rage, Larry's continued melancholic self-flagellation, Jane in her entirety, Vic Stone might as well be the definition of normal compared to them.

Bona to vada, Danny.
I can't really square with how you just downplayed accidentally killing your his mother.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
That episode went absolutely wild in the second half. Cliff had me rolling.

And holy shit at
Admiral Whiskers. What a great riff on the structure of the episode.

I can't believe how insane the next episode looks/sounds, I really hope they nail it.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really square with how you just downplayed accidentally killing your his mother.
Accidentally killing his own mother is tragic but it(and the rest of Cyborg's deal) is the type of drama that belong's to the normal breed of superhero. And it is that exact normality that keeps him feeling like a character who was shoehorned in despite not actually fitting in.

A couple episodes into this and I was warming up to the idea of him being on the show because it seemed like they were going to use his non DP-ness to contrast with the others but instead the show has tried to give him "issues" the way the rest do and it doesn't gel.

It is telling that Cyborg's "issues" are largely external, it is all his father's manipulations and his completely accidental killing of his mom, it is nothing about himself, he is never the issue, and this is perhaps the most damning in regards to being on this show because who he is is actually a pretty nice guy with a good head on his shoulders. Compared to the rest of the crew whose problems are as much internal as not, Rita's problems don't begin and end with her accident, or her now being a blob, Rita's problems are Rita.

Boxy Brown

Oct 27, 2017
Accidentally killing his own mother is tragic but it(and the rest of Cyborg's deal) is the type of drama that belong's to the normal breed of superhero. And it is that exact normality that keeps him feeling like a character who was shoehorned in despite not actually fitting in.

A couple episodes into this and I was warming up to the idea of him being on the show because it seemed like they were going to use his non DP-ness to contrast with the others but instead the show has tried to give him "issues" the way the rest do and it doesn't gel.

It is telling that Cyborg's "issues" are largely external, it is all his father's manipulations and his completely accidental killing of his mom, it is nothing about himself, he is never the issue, and this is perhaps the most damning in regards to being on this show because who he is is actually a pretty nice guy with a good head on his shoulders. Compared to the rest of the crew whose problems are as much internal as not, Rita's problems don't begin and end with her accident, or her now being a blob, Rita's problems are Rita.
I entirely disagree but I see where your coming from.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I can see where gforguava is coming from. His tragic story, in the grand scheme of things, is a lot more "normal" compared to the rest of The Doom Patrol. I do think that it's a good thing he's with The Doom Patrol to give him some perspective and experience with other metahumans.

Admiral Whiskers though. I didn't see that coming at all, lol.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

You could argue that Rita's problems are largely external given that she was groomed for Hollywood by her parents from a young age. And that Larry was pressured by society and concern for his parents to repress his sexuality. And that Cliff had a higher chance of being a shitty person because his father was a shitty person.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
"Man that might be the best episode yet! Shame nothing really weird happ-"

rWXsVNG.png

Qk5d0qw.gif

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Great episode and daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn Cliff going ballistic was a great scene.

Guess Admiral Whiskers is the primary reason for Cliff's mental episode of seeing Bump....or maybe Whiskers just caused his mechanical body to malfunction and Cliff's mental issues were not directly affected by it.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I would be bored by this episode because it's slow Therapy.
But Cliff continues to be the best.

Best Cliffhanger.

This is like DC Legends of whimsy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Amazing use of context and perspective. Giving us just enough pieces to give each sequence some meaning until everything was revealed.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that was a crazy episode. I mean, you could tell that something was really off with Cliff even after his whole episode, but I certainly didn't expect Admiral Whiskers.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Admiral Whiskers' revenge was awesome.

This show is great, I hope it stays strong in future seasons. I've been burned before.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the episode and saw the preview for next week. I cannot believe they're bringing in that character. I didn't think it possible.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to watching this show, just finished with the first two episodes. My thoughts:

This show is completely insane and I'm loving every second of it!

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest this show is more focused then Morrison's run in a way, if only cause the comic had to deal with being set-up after being passed off another writer's run and team history and try to introduce his ideas while reworking team all at once. There was also an unbalance on focus on the amount of play each character got, Robotman and Crazy Jane being the main ones, while here everyone gets to shine which this episode shows.

That's only cause it's built off Morrison however.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California

I see your points but I like the actor and think he is doing a real decent job.

Oct 25, 2017
Me 40 minutes into the last ep: I like they are doing a more contained ep with less (relative) crazy.....

*Enter Admiral Whiskers*

Fraser is so perfect for this role, was dying at "THEEERRRRAAAPPPYYYYy"

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Doom Patrol + Danny the Street + a drag show + Carly Rae Jepsen = What more could anyone want?

Oh and Diane Guerrero's gleeful post-engagement hopping to a hug was the greatest.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the Polari but understand why it's not there, got to say the Karaoke scene was especially incredible.

End of that music video especially on point, whoever is doing (music) direction is easily loving their job and knocking it out of the fucking park.

And Cliff's dream!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this show is just incredible. Live action Danny the street is something I really never thought I'd get.

There was just so much to love about this episode. We got two really fantastic and weird plots for the price of one.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Wait a second, are they doing THAT episode next week with Jane? Gonna be lit!

I hope we get to see that one crazy-ass persona of hers.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
so why does Rita have to explain Karen to Cliff early in this episode, as though he's new to the team and has never encountered her before, when her thing is "90s romcoms" and he's been living at the mansion since the late 80s?

one of the few things I dislike about this show is just how little the writers seem to care about the implications of making all the main characters immortal, and apparently they're just willing to straight-up ignore their own chronology for expository purposes? like, at least have her explain that to Cyborg instead

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
so why does Rita have to explain Karen to Cliff early in this episode, as though he's new to the team and has never encountered her before, when her thing is "90s romcoms" and he's been living at the mansion since the late 80s?

I don't think there's any particular reason Cliff would have met Karen before, since Karen leads her fantasy double life away from the manor (and this is the first time he's followed her).