• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
And I own the game on my One X with a 4k tv. Of course there are better looking games on every other console and PC but the fact that this game exist in this form factor has impressed me more after coming back to the game.

Tell me I'm crazy?

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I won't call you crazy, but I'll tell you I have the opposite opinion. I think it's too blurry to even play.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Gyro controls were a game changer for DOOM, played through it again when they were patched in and it makes everything far more fluid

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
Vita and high-end Android gaming kind of mitigated the shock factor from the fidelity of Switch games in general. It's great that we have this sort of performance in a handheld, but it's not a major leap at all if you've followed the portable gaming scene.

Having said that, many stick to Nintendo for portables, and for them this does represent a gargantuan jump.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Its a very impressive port for sure, but they had to make quite some sacrifices to make it run like that, but very impressive regardless.

The 30 FPS target is just not something i would appreciate when normally playing it at 1440p on a 165hz G-Sync monitor, it's night and day for a game like that.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Vita and high-end Android gaming kind of mitigated the shock factor from the fidelity of Switch games in general. It's great that we have this sort of performance in a handheld, but it's not a major leap at all if you've followed the portable gaming scene.

Having said that, many stick to Nintendo for portables, and for them this does represent a gargantuan jump.
Comparative to Vita, the jump felt absolutely massive for me.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When it looks good it really looks good.

Warframe might be even better though.

Hellblade looks like it might be better than both though.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017

Lol what there are currently no Vita or high end Android games that even touch like one twentieth of what the Switch has pulled off

Vita struggled to run Persona 4 at full res.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
When it looks good it really looks good.

Warframe might be even better though.

Hellblade looks like it might be better than both though.
Yeah some of our fellas got to play it at PAX and apparently the Direct footage was accurate, it really looks this good. Wonder how it'll look undocked

Oct 25, 2017
Shaky performance while using extremely low settings and at a resolution that's barely higher than your average Twitter gif doesn't knock my socks off or make it the best PFP anything, imo.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
Comparative to Vita, the jump felt absolutely massive for me.
Lol what there are currently no Vita or high end Android games that even touch like one twentieth of what the Switch has pulled off

For one, Nvidia's PC / console game ports to the Sheild represent a nice stop gap before we made it to the switch.

The lack of system-based optimization and low budgets meant many in the mobile gaming space didn't push the specs, but when big publishers came aboard, they often provided a nice tech showcase.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Reminds me of bad, blurry vita ports of yore and it's not even impressive technically given how well the engine runs on everything so absolutely can't agree. Glad it makes you happy tho

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Whatever successor the Switch will have will bring the "portable magic" to new highs. We'll basically have any ps4 looking game in proper fashion on it. It'll be crazy.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For one, Nvidia's PC / console game ports to the Sheild represent a nice stop gap before we made it to the switch.

The lack of system-based optimization and low budgets meant many in the mobile gaming space didn't push the specs, but when big publishers came aboard, they often provided a nice tech showcase.
Serious question: How many people actually own a Shield? For the vast majority of people, the jump is from either 3DS or Vita to Switch, and that's a pretty damn impressive visual leap.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
It's a miraculous port but it makes me want more. I want to witness more miracles on this thing. I will continue to buy, double dip or triple dip anything looks this crazy. Sometimes not to play, but just to stare at the magic. Like Hellblade, played twice already, but I'm getting it at full price.

Oct 27, 2017
Both Doom and Wolfenstein have had patches to further improve performance since release.

Honestly, Doom is a bad experiences docked. Even with motion aiming, I think the frame rate, image quality and audio quality compromises are too much to recommend Doom to anyone.

But in handheld, it's Doom. It's Doom 2016 running in handheld and it is very playable and looks great.

I don't think there is any other Switch game I feel this way about. Do not buy Doom for Switch if you intend to play it docked. Do buy it if you want to play Doom handheld. It's an amazing game to have portable.

I don't love Wolfenstein enough to double dip on Switch. With how cinematic that game is, I dont think I'd want to play it handheld. But Doom is so gameplay focused and it just works handheld. Shame the digi version is 22gb. That's a lot of space on an sd card.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Gyro controls were a game changer for DOOM, played through it again when they were patched in and it makes everything far more fluid
Agreed. They make the game play like a dream.

Mixing this aspect with how impressive the game helped me truly see the potential of the Switch.

Cannot wait to see the sequel running on Switch. Will love to see how far they can push the technical boundaries even further knowing that they're making this with the system in mind.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if it's the color palette of the game in combination with the blurry image, but I couldn't really play it. One of my few regrets on Switch. If a Switch Pro model comes out and improves the resolution it runs on average then I'll definitely give it another go.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Multiple "trolls" in this thread think it looks like blurry shit. But if you want to be a cheerleader for sub HD resolution with blurry AA, do your thing little buddy.
Wow... You really do sound like a troll. Little buddy?

Anyway, you're right OP. Beat the game first on a PS4 Pro, then went through it again on Switch and still can't believe what I'm seeing on such a tiny form factor. It really is something else. Playing through some campaign on a flight, and ripping through some arcade while using motion controls... It's a beautiful thing.

Oct 27, 2017
The image quality is night and day better in photo mode FYI. But overall I think BOTW is the most impressive game still in handheld mode since the IQ is great. Doom looks good but it's too low resolution to be the best or most impressive of any Switch game.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It's impressive the amount of work they done to get it running on the Switch, but honestly there is just too many sacrifices to make playing on the switch enjoyable to me. Wolfenstein 2 looks so much better

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doom looks nice, but Warframe honestly looks better. Half the time I almost can't believe that game is actually running on the Switch.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Whilst I wouldn't say it's the most impressive game 'ever', it's definitely up there. To think we're getting both its sequel and the sequel to Wolfenstein day-and-date with the other platforms (hopefully). I'm really hyped to see how DOOM Eternal looks and plays with all the refinements that have stemmed from Panic Button's continued porting experience.

I just wish Wolfenstein 2 wasn't still full-priced on Switch because I'd for sure buy that just to see how it compares.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
It's impressive the amount of work they done to get it running on the Switch, but honestly there is just too many sacrifices to make playing on the switch enjoyable to me. Wolfenstein 2 looks so much better

Wolf 2 has a lower average resolution and just as many /more cuts as Doom to it's presentation. They're both very blurry lookers.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Wow... You really do sound like a troll. Little buddy?

Anyway, you're right OP. Beat the game first on a PS4 Pro, then went through it again on Switch and still can't believe what I'm seeing on such a tiny form factor. It really is something else. Playing through some campaign on a flight, and ripping through some arcade while using motion controls... It's a beautiful thing.

If someone wants to call me a troll, I figured I'd try out the part. I'm honestly surprised people in this forum even talk like that. Era is typically more mature.

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
For me after Warframe port and Diablo 3's smooth 60FPS on switch, I find those more impressive now

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Vita struggled to run Persona 4 at full res.

I think people are sleeping on mobile gaming if they think there aren't some good looking games out there. The switch is based off largely mobile tech. Its nothing more than a high end tablet targeted at gaming specifically.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Yeah but have you seen Vroom in the Night Sky?

Jokes aside... we could argue that other Switch games look better overall, but Doom and Wolf on Switch are definitely very impressive.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I think you're crazy.

Everything looks like a smashed, brown, blurry mess in handheld mode. Lol.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I think you're crazy.

Everything looks like a smashed, brown, blurry mess in handheld mode. Lol.

Even with that look, it's still the best looking handheld game ever. I mean, what's the competition? Wolf 2 on Switch? Warframe? Killzone on Vita? Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS?

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Even with that look, it's still the best looking handheld game ever. I mean, what's the competition? Wolf 2 on Switch? Warframe? Killzone on Vita? Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS?

I absolutely despise Zelda Breath of the Wild but it's way better looking than Doom. Mario Odyssey, too.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate it, but when I have a pc that can rip and tear it up at 4K 60+ sitting next to me it's hard to get excited for stuff not exclusive to the Switch. I have been debating getting more indie titles on it that don't really need that high res experience though. Idk. I'm hot and cold on it. Love the first party/exclusive stuff though.

Feb 10, 2018
It's amazing how little power is required to run the main doom graphics.
. It goes to show that some times hardware feature set + tech can go further then brute power.
I mean the switch is only double power of the 360, but doom is something far beyond anything on 360.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
It's divisive, but that port's always impressed me in handheld. It's interesting to see people calling it unplayable, just goes to show how differing people's standards are.