• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you DOOM 64 with filtering on?

• Yes

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Rip… and tear? (On and off depending on mood)

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Something I've noticed is that most DOOM players play the classic games with no filtering on. Just to retain the pixelated look and the details that gets lost because of the filtering.

So with DOOM 64 the game was made with filtering in mind and the excellent port has the ability to disable the filtering to give it a pixelated look.

so do you play it with filtering on or off? I play it with on since I prefer the looks with filtering on

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Pro tip: The filtering option only exists because it takes up nearly a third of the fillrate time (it takes up 30% of the GPU time on the Xbox One S's GPU at 1440P), for the benefit of low end PC GPUs, given it's not an ordinary filter but a reimplementation of the N64 three-point filtering as a shader. The art was literally designed for it.

If it didn't take up so much time, the option might've not existed. :V

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Pro tip: The filtering option only exists because it takes up nearly a third of the fillrate time (it takes up 30% of the GPU time on the Xbox One S's GPU at 1440P), for the benefit of low end PC GPUs, given it's not an ordinary filter but a reimplementation of the N64 three-point filtering as a shader. The art was literally designed for it.

If it didn't take up so much time, the option might've not existed. :V
Thanks for the insight!

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Devs did not have the option to turn off the bilinear filtering at all, Nintendo were super strict about that for whatever reason, the assets were designed to be filtered, PSX games were the ones with zero texture filtering.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Devs did not have the option to turn off the bilinear filtering at all, Nintendo were super strict about that for whatever reason, the assets were designed to be filtered, PSX games were the ones with zero texture filtering.
A couple of problems with this; it's not a bilinear filter, and you absolutely can turn it off. Doom64 for example didn't use it for all assets, only 3D stuff, all 2D stuff used nearest neighbour. There may be a chance that what you've heard is apocryphal.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
A couple of problems with this; it's not a bilinear filter, and you absolutely can turn it off. Doom64 for example didn't use it for all assets, only 3D stuff, all 2D stuff used nearest neighbour. There may be a chance that what you've heard is apocryphal.
Ah that's interesting, i didn't know that & stand corrected, i do believe Nintendo were still strict about disabling certain things though, z-buffer etc.