• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
losing Mick is gonna be a huge blow to the Doom series. I loved Eternal so much (despite its meh story but I was never that bothered by it and it wasn't as invasive as people gave it credit for being) but the sequel will be missing something without Mick

unless they somehow hired a composer with equal dedication to make a badass metal soundtrack for the game. that seems very unlikely tho. might just be a middle of the mall game composer phoning their shit in.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Well this is fucking terrible, I listen to the 2016 soundtrack all the time and was super hyped for the eternal soundtrack. Now I hear it's a terrible mix that Mick doesn't even like!

ugh, where can I get those FLAC files???

FLAC won't solve the issue because they'd almost certainly be sourced from the same masters that Mick is unhappy with

You'd just be getting a lossless version of the same brickwalled mixes

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Hopefully this gets properly adressed, both by re-releasing a properly mixed version of the OST and by appologizing to Mick to mend the fences. However I'm glad he's moving on as I'm sure there are plenty of other gaming opportunities that would welcome his talent with open arms and treat him better than Bethesda did considering all he did for the Doom reboot.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Well this is fucking terrible, I listen to the 2016 soundtrack all the time and was super hyped for the eternal soundtrack. Now I hear it's a terrible mix that Mick doesn't even like!

ugh, where can I get those FLAC files???

FLAC files were released to Collectors/Special Edition holders along with the MP3s already, that being said:

FLAC won't solve the issue because they'd almost certainly be sourced from the same masters that Mick is unhappy with

daedalius

Oct 27, 2017

Shit!

well this just sucks. I hope the uproar lets Mick do a master of the songs for a new version or something.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Leave it to Bethesda to piss in the Cheerios of an IP building talent like that. Mick's work is pretty much untouchable but they still manage some fuckery. Can't ever let a talented person and their pivotal work be appreciated and respected, no no.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
That's gotta be accidental or something, someone probably did a quick and dirty limit to give a listen and then sent the wrong export out for mastering.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
seems like there's some credence to it:

grDiGTy.jpg
I don't get it. Why would Mick tell a fan over Instagram "yeah I'm done with Bethesda", yet he's a lot more vague when asked by press?

What a weird situation.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. Why would Mick tell a fan over Instagram "yeah I'm done with Bethesda", yet he's a lot more vague when asked by press?

What a weird situation.
Could've just been an in the moment thing where he was upset, wasn't thinking about the potential fallout of it, like someone taking it to reddit and it blowing up from there and has since calmed down and is starting to look at things more rationally and or is talking to Id about the situation and doesn't want to make things worse.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018

What a weird situation.
If I have to guess:
While Mick is not pleased at all with the mixing, the instagram screenshot might be fake (Some people seem to have evidence that points to be the case).
Either that, or Gordon answered in the heat of the moment, and now he is trying to be more calm about it.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

What a weird situation.
Because that's the kind of guy he is. I can't tell you how many of my personal emails he's directly responded to. He loves his fans and he loves what he does. He probably reacted quickly and out of passion but obviously couldn't do the same to PCG.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Everything about this sucks. losing Mick would be a damn shame. The only other composer who even comes close would be Andrew Hulshult and I'm not sure he could fill those shoes for another Doom game.
I think he could fill the shoes and possibly do it better. Mick did great work, of course, but I prefer Andrew's soundtrack work.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Goodness, how the hell did this happen? I hope they can get it straightened out, and Mick can get the love and appreciation to keep collaborating with them. He's the essence of the rebooted DOOM titles, without his music it would never be the same.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because that's the kind of guy he is. I can't tell you how many of my personal emails he's directly responded to.
It's not the part about him being open with fans I question (bless his soul for being so cool), I'm just confused that the press answer he gave seems to run pretty different, more as "yeah I don't get what's going on either". Not sure if he's backtracking on saying anything or if it was faked.

Oct 27, 2017
The only positive that I could see come out of this would be the next Doom having a classic thrash metal-sounding score (think 'At Doom's Gate' but recorded by Slayer to get an idea of what I'm thinking of).

But that's never gonna happen so we'd be bound to end up with something that's not as good as what Mick has done.

Thanks, O̶b̶a̶m̶a̶ id software.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
for those of us who got the collectors edition or deluxe how do we get the soundtrack?

Oct 28, 2017
EV7j5FhUwAELYoE

This has been badly brickwalled at some point by looking at it closer to hardclip at 0dBFS, pulled down in level by several dB, that one weird transient hitting 0dBFS which looks like it had to have been added in post mix. A hard limiter on the master output bus on mixdown and then imported into the rest of the track. Or just added after the mastering pass. I wouldn't be surprised if dual compression/limiting was used on this incorrectly. Either way I gave the track a listen and it has a ton of clipping distortion, drums sound especially bad with cymbals.

They almost surely limited the original version, and then decided to put the swelling "scwoop" sounds over the top of the already-limited mix. It's so sad because they could have just done it properly by mixing the swells into the unmastered mix, then mastered the whole thing, and they would have actually achieved a louder master than this without having to limit it so aggressively. I just listened to the Doom Eternal version and it's terrible, just completely crushed and pumping all over the place.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
The music was terribly mixed in the actual Wolfenstein New Order game, and that was a crime too. Nevermind dynamic range between instruments you'd be lucky to actually get to enjoy the music during gameplay.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Ok hear me out:

Mick Gordon Presents: Metroid Prime 4 OST
I mean, Doom's soundtrack was enough, but some of his process-discussions definitely confirm it: The dude has the understanding, talent and creativity to nail damn near whatever he desires. So... yes. Very much yes. Him tackling a ton of ambient, chill explorative musical themes plus a few high intensity moments?

You've been heard.

Sadly, but someone who doesn't matter much.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Man, I knew something was wrong about the ost this time. It had something different from the original, it wasn't the same feeling. Fuck, BFG division is one of my most played songs on Spotify and I don't even like metal

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Everything about this sucks. losing Mick would be a damn shame. The only other composer who even comes close would be Andrew Hulshult and I'm not sure he could fill those shoes for another Doom game.

While not a composer, the only one who could feel his shoes imo is Buckethead.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
It's funny/shitty because it's one of the best things about the game but because people could not do their jobs/maintain the relationship that is likely to change.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So was curious... You can see the affect this master has on platforms and the loudness normalisation. DR meter, condensed Red bars is bad Mmmmkay.
49798106393_fbcde12df1_o.png

Not even the lowest the DR goes...
But these are the key averages: not good:
Code:
                                                   L                  R                   Joint
Integrated Loudness (LUFS - BS.1770)                                                    -7.21 (ITU)      
DR (PMF Dynamic Range)                             5.64               5.57                  6 (PMF)      
Min. PSR (SPPM-to-Short-Term Loudness Ratio)                                             3.77 (AES)      
PLR (TP-to-Integrated Loudness Ratio)                                                    7.21 (AES)

Still not as bad as DM...
Code:
                                                   L                  R                   Joint
Integrated Loudness (LUFS - BS.1770)                                                    -3.64 (ITU)      
DR (PMF Dynamic Range)                             2.97               2.97                  3 (PMF)      
Min. PSR (SPPM-to-Short-Term Loudness Ratio)                                             2.00 (AES)      
PLR (TP-to-Integrated Loudness Ratio)                                                    3.64 (AES)

Oct 25, 2017

What a weird situation.

I think he probably had a more "raw" and more emotional" moment with the fan because he seems to have taken it personally, but when the press asked he has to sound "more professional". That and he probably didn't think the fan would screencap him and share the convo.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Nice. Mick is free for Killer Instinct 2 now.
I'm assuming MS will do whatever it takes to get Mick back for the inevitable KI2. Not that it would take much..in his interviews about working on the music for KI 2013 he sounded like a kid in a candy store loving every second of the process. The man pours himself entirely into his work with zero compromises.

Whoever is responsible for this (Bethesda or id) y'all dun goofed bad.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Does it make me seem like a smug asshole if I say those tracks are the only ones I liked when i was playing lmao I feel so vindicated. Everytime Meathook came on I was like fucking finally
The sound tracks in the game are mixed and mastered by him the OST which is separate are not and that sucks because I loved listening to the music by itself

Deleted member 34714

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
You can easily confirm this by listening to BFG division. Holy moly this took a huge hit in Doom Eternal. That's enough confirmation for me to know how screwed up this is. It's very muddy and gets distorted when it reaches some high points unlike the 2016 version. Though this is only from hearing through youtube compression, the difference is still massive regardless of what compression method is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.