• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Someone on Reddit said that he and Hugo didn't agree about some things, so maybe it's not Bethesda this time.

So Giant Bomb has interviewed Hugo a few times over the years (mostly at E3) and I want say when he was last on their couch (and hopefully a GB fan with better memory than I can help me out here) Hugo commented on something Brad said about Doom Eternal during the Bethesda conference.

Brad either misspoke about something related to Doom Eternal or I think he might have criticized something about it? I don't remember but I do remember during the couch interview Hugo bringing that up that critique or mistake in a way that felt like he was trying to rub Brad's face in it or call him out on it under a friendly guise but it came off as really petty to me. Game critic's (especially of an older era) often tell stories of devs coming up to them at conventions to tell them how their review of their game was wrong and this seemed like a vaguely friendly, less extreme version of that.

Also, based on his GB & no clip interviews Hugo comes off sounding like a workaholic perfectionist which more often than not I feel like is generally a bad work ethic to have as you're most likely very difficult to work with and probably expect too much from the people who report to you. Add in the overdesigned gameplay, the much more try hard humor compared to 2016, the insane amounts of lore added to this game and I wouldn't be shocked if people on the team like Hugo were maybe liking the smell of their farts a bit too much after 2016. Assuming I'm right then a falling out between Mick and Hugo makes sense
It also creates a lot of distortion and clipping when everything is cranked. This is like Metallica's Death Magnetic all over again.

Maybe Apple will save us in a year with their own personal Mastered for iTunes?

We'll just have to wait for Activision to put out a new Guitar Hero that we can rip the OST from.
Hooray, then they can bury his music in the mix again like they did gordons- or better still make it like Quake 1 and not include it in digital re releases unless you have a quake cd lying around.

For multiple years now nin.com's music store has had a grayed our store page for a eventual Quake 1 OST remaster on Vinyl and WAV/FLAC but for whatever the reason it's yet to happen.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently on the itunes version the ones with no credit are the ones Mick Gordon mixed. Fucking dirty man.

And to think they thought they could low key fuck him like this lol fuck off bethesda. you can tell something happens because he tweest just stopped out of nowhere last month
Where do you see it on iTunes? I don't see it there or Apple Music. Also this is truly awful of true. ):

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Bethesda is just bad with audio right? I remember the first Wolfenstein on ps4 had decent music but in game it was just mixed so poorly. Like the menu music was so horrible which was a shame.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
i turned them off in both games because they sound awful and this music is getting on my nerves. Prey was good though.
tenor.gif

Jan 2, 2018
Damn,I knew something was off with it!
Tracks like Super Gore Nest and The Only Thing They Fear Is You and BFG just sounds weird from what I remembered.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Gordon not working on the next Doom would be very disappointing. His sound track in Doom E was one of the few things that was better than 2016.

Hot take? I mean, you can have this opinion, but for the majority of people, Eternal is better in almost every way.

PinkCrayon

Oct 25, 2017
Gross. Fucking marketers getting their grubby little hands on things they have no business touching.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Really though, Bethesda's sound mixes have been beyond fucked all generation. Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Old Blood, DOOM '16 and DOOM: Eternal have all had dreadful flat mixes that sound poor on anything above TV speakers.

The fact that they released an OST with a botched mix that wasn't overseen by the composer himself is shocking in its own right though so it's no surprise that Mick is pissed off and feeling like he's done working with the crew responsible. It sucks for the DOOM franchise, sure, but I'd argue that it's worse for Mick having to deal with people degrading the quality and impact of his art with carelessness and incompetence. If it takes Mick walking and the appropriate amount of fan backlash in response for them to wisen up, so be it.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this sucks :( Two things this year have put a huge smile on my face with games: FF7, and slaughtering demons with that music in the background. All power to Mick, I don't blame him. Bethesda wat is u doin

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
As per usual for these sorts of things, this pleads for nuance (see whole thread):
twitter.com

Skull on Twitter

“PSA: Recently the word going around about Mick Gordon having a falling out with Bethesda/id is making the rounds in this slice of twitter. First I'd like to remind everyone the screenshot in question does not have a proper source and Mick Gordon usually talks through email.”

OP
OP
Sun's Resting Place
Oct 25, 2017
As per usual for these sorts of things, this pleads for nuance (see whole thread):
twitter.com

Skull on Twitter

“PSA: Recently the word going around about Mick Gordon having a falling out with Bethesda/id is making the rounds in this slice of twitter. First I'd like to remind everyone the screenshot in question does not have a proper source and Mick Gordon usually talks through email.”
That's true. I didn't quote the reddit post in the OP because I can verify that Mick Gordon did in fact make those posts in the OP, including the Youtube one, but not that one.

It's possible the reddit one is faked, since all we have is a screenshot, but at the moment I doubt it. Thanks for that thread anyway, it's worth remembering that this isn't a call to harass some random guy who may not even be responsible for anything, we don't really know the situation for sure.

I'll edit the OP with a bit of an addendum.

Nov 8, 2017
twitter.com

Skull on Twitter

Yes and a few weeks back when Mick had a livestream to nerd out about the process of making the D:E soundtrack he didn't seem mad. Not that I think he would have spilled his guts about private feuds, but I didn't get the sense he was unhappy, even if there were bumps along the road.

Oct 29, 2017
Wait so the soundtrack IN THE GAME is mixed this way? I thought at first starting to read this thread that it was referring to the OST as it exists outside of the game for whatever reason.

And what the fuck, if Nu-Doom 3 doesn't have Mick Gordon involved I'm fucking done.

Oct 25, 2017
VIC, AUSTRALIA
Unless I'm misremembering, Gordon had small issues with Doom 2016's OST too. Something like Bethesda originally telling him they didn't want heavy metal influence on the soundtrack, no crunchy guitar riffs, and he managed to sneak it in anyway and by that point in development people really liked it and so it stuck.

Ha! There you go. My brain still works.
He also had a ton of work to convince Bethesda to release the 2016 OST, was kinda insane at the time considering how popular all the fan mixes were

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Can Bethesda do anything right? If they weren't a publisher they would be barely discussed outside of FO76.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
First they lose Soule for TES (for other, legitimate reasons) and now this? What the fuck is going on over there?!
Well the soule thing is not bethesda-related so they didn't do anything there.
But yeah, one of the most important parts of the new DOOM games are the soundtracks so losing Mick is a huge blow to the franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is I argue constantly with people that the sound mixing Doom and Wolfenstein is trash and people say they don't even notice. Shit isn't going to change.
Most people unfortunately don't have an ear for shitty audio mixing. Honestly very underappreciated part of games and music.

You can at least feel a little vindicated that there are others out there that feel the same way lmao. Good soundtrack, shitty mix.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
This man has not done a bad soundtrack for the last 10 years, he's basically the golden boy of music right now. HUGE LOSS. I'm a big fan, hope we at least get a proper release without songs being compressed to hell and back.

Apr 9, 2019
I'm not really clear if this pertains to the recently released soundtrack album or to the ingame implementation as well. That cover he replied on was made before the soundtrack album released.

It's quite weird, Mick and Doom seem to be made for each other. Luckily for him he probably has lots of other great composing opportunities. Still sucks for him to have his work treated disrespectfully.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
The soundtrack in eternal is AMAZING. How could they fuck up the soundtrack. Good thing my collectors edition came with the flac files . . . . . . . .fuck

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Doom Eternal will probably end up being my soundtrack of the year, losing him is like stripping away what makes modern Doom a demon gangbang.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Really disappointing.

As everyone else here has expressed, his soundtrack made the 2016 Doom. id/Bethesda seemed to understand this cause they got him to perform part of it live for the Game Awards in 2016. I seriously can't imagine that game without it, and I don't think it would have made the same impact without it. I definitely wouldn't have been as interested.

From his YouTube comment and his Twitter Likes I'm inclined to believe that the private message is authentic. Sounds like id drove him away.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit Bethesda, what the hell is wrong with you?

I don't even understand how you fuck this up. How does this even happen?

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bethesda should be licking Mick's toes not pulling this shit. Doom soundtracks are legendary and the games would be far less liked without them.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
this just makes me sad. I have never listened to video game soundtracks in my car until his Doom soundtracks, they are incredible.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Doom Eternal soundtrack was largely forgettable. I heard the same music over and over again I'm the combat encounters. Doom 2016 was way better.

Some of the pieces on the DE official soundtrack are incredible though, though the in game experience just didn't seem to be as good as his previous games eg Doom 2016, Wolfenstein 2.

Last edited:

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
The thing is I argue constantly with people that the sound mixing Doom and Wolfenstein is trash and people say they don't even notice. Shit isn't going to change.

Arkane's last few games have been a mess too. Not only the mixing but the directional audio/panning is off to the point of being flat out reversed at times.

It's baffling that these issues have persisted across so many Bethesda games this gen. I can't see how such a vital component gets consistently butchered without anyone intervening.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Stop talking about work on social media, for crap's sake, it helps nobody.

I do love the drama, though. :)

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
i work in marketing and I fucking hate marketers. Sad to see another marketer ruin a good thing by getting their shitty hands on it

I have a composer friend who works on big AAA titles and he's also vented to me in private about marketing people completely screwing up the mixing. For some reason this doesn't seem to be uncommon in the industry.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So when we finally have a match made in heaven, Bethesda comes and fucks it all over.
Fuck 2020

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Prey and Doom 2016 to Eternal are alleviated to greatness thanks in parts to Mick Gordon. Bethesda, you treat that man all the respect he should be getting, you ninnies.

Status
Not open for further replies.