• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I hope this time they will have gyro in for the Switch version on day 1! Also, I hope they'll have enough time to squeeze in some extra optimitzation for the performance. I'm still not sure if this is for me though, I'll probably grab the first one on Switch if there's a good deal going.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I hope this time they will have gyro in for the Switch version on day 1! Also, I hope they'll have enough time to squeeze in some extra optimitzation for the performance. I'm still not sure if this is for me though, I'll probably grab the first one on Switch if there's a good deal going.

That's a guarantee considering Wolfenstein 2 had it there day one. It's practically a required feature for Switch shooters at this point lol.

Any idea when youngbloodnis coming? I mean surely Panic Button is only big enough to do one port job at a time, or at least that's how it seems.

IIRC they've expanded a fair bit after last year. They also managed to work on both DOOM and Rocket League (and likely Wolf 2 as well) last year and they're working on Warframe right now. Considering Youngblood is going to share a lot of DNA with Wolf 2 I can't imagine it'd too tough for them.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Lemme hear a HELL YEAH!

If Doom was an impossible port and Wolf 2 even more impossible then Doom eternal is beyond impossible. Panic button are going to be pushed to the limits on this one.
That's been a recurring refrain for every ambitious Switch port since launch.

"Skyrim on Switch? It's going to be pushed to the limits."
"DOOM on Switch? It's going to be pushed to the limits."
"Wolfenstein II on Switch? It's going to be pushed to the limits."
"ARK on Switch? It's going to be pushed to the limits."
"Fortnite on Switch? It's going to be pushed to the limits."
"Warframe on Switch? It's going to be pushed to the limits."

Gyro aiming makes Doom 2 Switch the definitive version for me.
Amen and hallelujah. No gyro, no play!

Last edited:

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Im getting it on PC.

giphy.gif

Gif link: https://giphy.com/gifs/39kNZd4auhvqPmbwGX

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Any idea when youngbloodnis coming? I mean surely Panic Button is only big enough to do one port job at a time, or at least that's how it seems.

Panic button did an AMA last month and disclosed they don't like focusing on single projects. Team members juggle between 4 to 6 games at any given time.

Which is mind boggling to me because there are real costs to context switching.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yes, Switch is what made me complete Doom 1, I'm all in!***

*** if the campaign is entirely onnthe cartridge.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
The Day 1 release on Switch has me wondering what the platform split will be, as we don't have a lot of data on multiplatform AAA games on Switch.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I tried playing Doom on the Switch but it looks too damn good on the X. Copping Eternal on the X as well.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I've been counting down the days until this unveil since e3 hoping for a Switch release...and there it is. Praise Satan (and Panic Button)

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
First game is transformed on a high refresh display and G-Sync, so nothing less than PC for me with Doom.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was the Doom Switch port good? 30 FPS? Resolution?

I know Panic Button has gotten some praise around these parts so I hope Eternal runs well :)

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Panic Button doing work again.

Also probably a good indication that Bethesda was pleased enough with the other Doom game saleswise on the Switch.

I'll pick it up on the Switch just to support Bethesda's continued support of the system.
Will wait for the eventual massive discounts on Steam for my PC high fidelity goodness...if I decide to pick it up again

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I would argue playing it at 60fps instead of 20-30, depending on the number of enemies on screen, is far superior to playability than gyro aiming.

But like I said if people want to put themselves through that it's their problem. I think it's a bit silly, but it doesn't affect me at the end of the day.

It clearly does since you seem to love bringing it up at every other opportunity.

We get it. You don't care about portability. Many other people do. It's not their "problem".

Plum

May 31, 2018

I know Panic Button has gotten some praise around these parts so I hope Eternal runs well :)

It wasn't amazing but it was good enough to work well, especially with gyro aiming. It aimed for 30fps but dipped quite heavily in certain areas and had a dynamic 720p resolution which hovered around the 600p mark docked and lower in portable. If you're purely playing in docked mode and have other consoles/a PC then I wouldn't bother with Doom Eternal for Switch, but having it portability is going to be a game-changer for a lot of people.

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017

Depends on how picky you are about res/fps. I beat the original doom on a gaming PC at 1080p with locked 60fps and had no issues with the switch version. Has dynamic resolution which isn't painfully noticeable on the handheld screen except in certain areas and runs at mostly stable 30fps (with some dips, particularly if you jack up the difficulty/play arcade with tons of enemies). Other people seemed to say they had more issues, but I thought it was fantastic and was more than willing to trade off the compromises for DOOM on the go, in bed, or on the toilet. Thought it looked good enough docked too, but I'm not someone who lives or dies on resolution and my only issue with framerates are if it is unstable and drops constantly.

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
I like the switch support from the dev/pub. Still haven't finished the first one on switch, I find the game really hard (playing on normal), haven't had the time to master the controls.

Super excited that switch is getting released at the same time as the other platforms (looking at you dark souls).

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
No it's still pretty objective. Portability doesn't make up for butchering the game with half of the resolution, more than half of the framerate, and every effect on its lowest possible setting.

I mean we're supposed to be about playing games here. Crippling a game's playability should be a huge deal.

It is an option because there are people like me who don't care that much about the graphical differences as long as the game looks well and play well, in the end it is the same game.
it is an option for people who want a portable version.
if resolution/frame rate are the only thing that matters everyone would've been playing only on PC. consoles are there and they are successful because there are people willing to sacrifice some performance/image quality for the option of pick up and play, and also because they get rid of the need to think about the hardware and its upgrades.

how a unique option in the market that help to reach more audience is a bad thing ???
you can choose the version you want, the game is coming to all platforms, but everyone has their own preferences.

anyway, I actually didn't like the first Doom that much. it was good, but nothing special to me honestly.
but I'm gonna give this game a chance, and I hope it delivers.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I'll get it on PS4 Pro for TV mode, and on Switch for those glorious portable Glory Kills

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I would argue playing it at 60fps instead of 20-30, depending on the number of enemies on screen, is far superior to playability than gyro aiming.

But like I said if people want to put themselves through that it's their problem. I think it's a bit silly, but it doesn't affect me at the end of the day.

I'll be playing it at 30fps while on my way to the work instead of 0fps and 0 resolution on other versions. Thanks for thinking about my problem though.

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Count me in for Switch version day one. Didn't expect that so pretty damn hyped.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
Is there any chance in hell (no pun intended) that the Switch version will be a 60fps experience? The Devs on stage stated that the game will be a 60fps experience, and the followup tweet includes the switch into the official console release announcement. Thoughts?
480p let's goooo. To be fair it's cool that Switch is getting it even though I'd never dream of playing it anywhere other than PC. I just want to see the tech report on it from Digital Foundry.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
No it's still pretty objective. Portability doesn't make up for butchering the game with half of the resolution, more than half of the framerate, and every effect on its lowest possible setting.

I mean we're supposed to be about playing games here. Crippling a game's playability should be a huge deal.
One could argue that gyro controls are a huge argument in favour of the Switch version

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Great news, day 1 Switch.
Will buy on steam if they're not dicks and make it bethesda launcher exclusive. Otherwise I guess in for a ps4 rental.

Surprised it's coming to switch on day 1. I will be interested to see how many choose to get it since it's practically guaranteed to be the worst version by far.
It's all in the eye of the beholder. For me gyro aiming and portability makes it the best version.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017

I'd rather go through that problem than yours, which is having some vendetta against a plastic piece of hardware, entering any Switch thread you want to start crap. It's pathetic, dude. Aren't you an adult?

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Will buy on steam if they're not dicks and make it bethesda launcher exclusive. Otherwise I guess in for a ps4 rental.

Surprised it's coming to switch on day 1. I will be interested to see how many choose to get it since it's practically guaranteed to be the worst version by far.

A lot of people would rather be able to play it anywhere then have a prettier looking version, all versions can do well

With that being said, yay for Switch version!

Edit: I forgot about Gyro controls to which is a huge plus, so no matter if you play docked or undocked, the game will be great on Switch!

Last edited:

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
I want to experience the best visual for this game. Very glad its on Switch, but i guess ill buy first on PS4, finish it and sell it to grab the Switch later, unless its release on Switch at a later date.

hiryu64

Oct 27, 2017
With all four versions coming out simultaneously, it'll be very interesting to see how the Switch version fares against the other three.

PC for me personally, but hey, to each their own. Wonder if we can get a poll on the OP to see which version(s) people are planning on getting?