• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
I see 'kernel level' has become something of a boogeyman here. Almost every modern online game has anti cheat with kernel level operations and it isn't worth the hysterics.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I see 'kernel level' has become something of a boogeyman here. Almost every modern online game has anti cheat with kernel level operations and it isn't worth the hysterics.

I wonder if people whine about Easy Anti Cheat considering that one is also kernel-level anticheating.

I guess people whine about:

Apex Legends
Bleeding Edge
Dauntless
Dead by Daylight
Far Cry 5
Dying Light
Fortnite
For Honor
Gears 5
Halo MCC
Hunt Showdown
Jump Force
Insurgency

And many more. 😆

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if people whine about Easy Anti Cheat considering that one is also kernel-level anticheating.

Apex Legends
Bleeding Edge
Dauntless
Dead by Daylight
Far Cry 5
Dying Light
Fortnite
For Honor
Gears 5
Halo MCC
Hunt Showdown
Jump Force
Insurgency

And many more. 😆
I don't have any kernel-level anti-cheat software installed on my PC, and I avoid games that force me to install it just to play the single player portion, so...

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

Apex Legends
Bleeding Edge
Dauntless
Dead by Daylight
Far Cry 5
Dying Light
Fortnite
For Honor
Gears 5
Halo MCC
Hunt Showdown
Jump Force
Insurgency

And many more. 😆
There's a big difference between Doom Eternal and most of that list....

Something to do with a single-player campaign...

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
They finally fixed the map in HDR but put it behind a fucking kernel-level anti cheat for a mode literally no one gives a shit about. Super cool, glad I already beat the game and uninstalled.
While the anti cheat is annoying, I'm really glad that they finally fixed the automap in HDR. I'm not even half way done, so plenty of playing left without having to rely on SDR.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
That's just a taste of another thread entirely dedicated to similar hyperboles. People complaining about "kernel driver" with no idea what they're talking about. Also, the game now suddenly sucks and people with dozens of hours are now requesting refunds.

I can't play the game I bought without installing a rootkit.
Fuck yes I want a refund.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
While the anti cheat is annoying, I'm really glad that they finally fixed the automap in HDR. I'm not even half way done, so plenty of playing left without having to rely on SDR.
I'm glad it's finally been fixed, just frustrating how long it took them since most people will have finished it by now. Glad it can be enjoyed in HDR with no compromises though, just a shame about the circumstances around this patch.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
I'm glad it's finally been fixed, just frustrating how long it took them since most people will have finished it by now. Glad it can be enjoyed in HDR with no compromises though, just a shame about the circumstances around this patch.
Definitely took them way too long. I misunderstood and thought that you uninstalled it mainly due to the anti cheat. You are absolutely right. Yesterday I was about to bitch about it again before googling the issue again and finding out about the latest update list.

Are people still mad at Marauders lol? I thought at this point everyone knew the trick to killing them with the sniper laser/super shotgun/sniper laser quick switch. They are one of the easiest enemies

Bookmarked.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Marauders were freaking fun when they were thrown in an encounter. Kept me scared shitless and prioritizing them first, but still was able to handle them. Granted this was on Normal difficulty. Glad they're unchanged

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Antagonizing another member
Are you really debating with 'devs' who shove starforce, securom, denuvo, vmprotect, gfwl, lootboxes etc up your ass that those are bad things.

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I'm aware that there can be security issues if someone exploits this anti-cheat but does that actually make it a rootkit?

bgbball31

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how speedruns will be split now. Taking out the mod stacking glitch is pretty big for runs.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018

Apex Legends
Bleeding Edge
Dauntless
Dead by Daylight
Far Cry 5
Dying Light
Fortnite
For Honor
Gears 5
Halo MCC
Hunt Showdown
Jump Force
Insurgency

And many more. 😆
I'm not sure it's much of an argument to point fingers and go "see, everybody does it, why complain now"?

I'm wary of what software I run, I don't see how that is comparable to a ... Trump-mindset, of all things. You do you, but I'll do what I can to avoid the risks - I've already had plenty of issues with BattlEye and ESEA in CSGO.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Remember when CoD used to have two executable one SP and one MP? Bethesda should do that so they can do the anti-cheat with less fuss i'd assume.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
That's just a taste of another thread entirely dedicated to similar hyperboles. People complaining about "kernel driver" with no idea what they're talking about. Also, the game now suddenly sucks and people with dozens of hours are now requesting refunds.

I can understand something like this for Valorant, but I'm interested to see what percentage of Doom players never touch the multiplayer. If only 40% of Doom buyers play multiplayer, is it worth forcing this anti-cheat software down their throats? Separate the modes. Let single player people uninstall the multiplayer portion.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Seems like a good range of relatively minor changes to me, as someone who plays on Xbox.

I am planning to return to this game in the near future. I think Doom Eternal, Resident Evil 3 and Streets of Rage 4 are all going to be replayed by me quite a lot this year. It's been quite a year for games that I really enjoy replaying (plus Animal Crossing), can't think of any year besides ones where I was really invested in MMOs that I got this much value out of the games I was playing. Some absolutely fun gameplay loops.

Rodya

Dec 20, 2019
"Denuvo Anti-Cheat can be uninstalled at any time through the "Add or remove programs" dialog"

If I uninstall it can I still play single player? I really don't care about Battlemode.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Apex Legends
Bleeding Edge
Dauntless
Dead by Daylight
Far Cry 5
Dying Light
Fortnite
For Honor
Gears 5
Halo MCC
Hunt Showdown
Jump Force
Insurgency

And many more. 😆
Yeah, it's not like I don't understand why people are being as reactionary as they are, but they are being hella reactionary

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand something like this for Valorant, but I'm interested to see what percentage of Doom players never touch the multiplayer. If only 40% of Doom buyers play multiplayer, is it worth forcing this anti-cheat software down their throats? Separate the modes. Let single player people uninstall the multiplayer portion.
The problem with Valorant's anti-cheat was that it started up as soon as you booted up your computer and remained active til you shut down
This anti-cheat, just like the kernel-level anti-cheat that's already in use in several games that I'm sure many users in this thread have installed right now, starts when the game boots and stops when you shut off the game.
Not that I think it's something DOOM Eternal needed, but there are a lot of people acting up in these threads because they see 'Denuvo', they see 'kernel level', and they leap to conclusions

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see footage of Empowered Demons, doesn't seem like that big of a deal for people who played the game multiple times.

Though I guess we'll eventually have a mod that makes every enemy enraged, that could make for a cool challenge run.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about this is "Trump-level"? It's a highly intrusive anti-cheat that opens your system up to a myriad of potential security vulnerabilities and problems. One only has to look at Valorant to see the potential harm this type of anti-cheat implementation can bring.

It also doesn't help that it's all in service of a game-mode no one really cares for.
All major anti-cheat works like this. You ever play Fortnite? CoD Warzone? Apex Legends? R6 Siege? You already have this "harmful implementation" on your machine then.

Valorant was attacked because the kernel driver loads at system launch when the other implementations only load at game launch. Doom's loads at game launch and quits on game exit. Just like the other major games.

there are a lot of people acting up in these threads because they think they know what they're talking about
Yep. People just putting their ignorance out there on display.

Oct 28, 2017
Am i crazy or was Doom Eternal originally supposed to have a mode where players could invade your singleplayer game as a demon? I just now thought of this and don't remember it happening through my two play throughs.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Am i crazy or was Doom Eternal originally supposed to have a mode where players could invade your singleplayer game as a demon? I just now thought of this and don't remember it happening through my two play throughs.
I'm not sure if it went that far, but I think there used to be a thing where if certain demons killed another player, it would be marked as a "demon who killed person x" and could show up buffed and labeled in other people's games. I remember seeing that in some demos.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
They should offer a refund if the conditions have changed post-release, or at least offer official rollbacks.

It's absolutely not tolerable that they add this type of copy protection AFTER the game's release. This is objectively bad behavior, especially if you don't want to support Denuvo and all they've done to make PC gaming worse.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
So, is this actually a for real security risk or is it safe to have the game installed ? I use my pc for work and games and I'd prefer not to nuke my system into oblivion because I wanted to play a game.

"Denuvo Anti-Cheat can be uninstalled at any time through the "Add or remove programs" dialog"

If I uninstall it can I still play single player? I really don't care about Battlemode.
Everyone that's tested this has said, "No."

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if it went that far, but I think there used to be a thing where if certain demons killed another player, it would be marked as a "demon who killed person x" and could show up buffed and labeled in other people's games. I remember seeing that in some demos.
Thanks lol. I cant believe i just now thought of this even though i had this in the back of my mind leading up to the game. Maybe i just saw a name above someones head in a video or something. Im a idiot.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. People just putting their ignorance out there on display.
I had the same misconceptions at first until I read your explanation yesterday and looked into it for myself. Now I'm just left wondering how people can read the same shit I've read and continue on like the facts and the context change nothing.

I mean, if people want to reject kernel-level anti-cheat outright, then that's whatever, I just don't get the impression that people realize just how many games use or include anti-cheat implementations like this, as though DOOM Eternal is following in Valorant's footsteps, rather than the footsteps of many of the most popular multiplayer games on PC today.

Last edited:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks lol. I cant believe i just now thought of this even though i had this in the back of my mind leading up to the game. Maybe i just saw a name above someones head in a video or something. Im a idiot.
No, you're not being dumb. They may have been toying around with ideas like that at some point. I'm just not sure what happened to it.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
All major anti-cheat works like this. You ever play Fortnite? CoD Warzone? Apex Legends? R6 Siege? You already have this "harmful implementation" on your machine then.

Valorant was attacked because the kernel driver loads at system launch when the other implementations only load at game launch. Doom's loads at game launch and quits on game exit. Just like the other major games.
I've never installed any of those games for that precise reason actually, so no. I wasn't aware that Valorant's implementation differed from other games in that way though, so I appreciate you explaining that. But I still have an issue with any software running at such a low-level on my system, regardless of its implementation, which is why I've avoided games that do this. So patching this into a single-player game (let's be real, no one cares about Battlemode) is frustrating to see.

Oct 28, 2017
No, you're not being dumb. They may have been toying around with ideas like that at some point. I'm just not sure what happened to it.
I found it. "Invasion Incoming Invaders" is a message i never saw. Then two players appear. I stayed out of the Doom thread around release so maybe this has been covered before and im just behind.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I've never installed any of those games for that precise reason actually, so no. I wasn't aware that Valorant's implementation differed from other games in that way though, so I appreciate you explaining that. But I still have an issue with any software running at such a low-level on my system, regardless of its implementation, which is why I've avoided games that do this. So patching this into a single-player game (let's be real, no one cares about Battlemode) is frustrating to see.

Pretty sure the people that worked on Battlemode care about Battlemode and what to preserve the experience.