• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
Just went back and rewatched the E3 story trailer and this. I really think this isn't that well cut of a trailer comparatively. That E3 story one gets me PUMPED but this one is too expository and the action doesn't seem as good. Editing a lot weaker too.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
WhiteFlashyGoshawk-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Y-you're... you're playing RDR2 and complaining DOOM is too slow...?
This is a bit unreasonable don't you think? There are obviously different expectations when you're playing a cowboy sim focusing on meticulous realism versus when you're walking, double jumping, demon meat grinder personified.

I don't really share the same opinion but I can see where they're coming fron

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
Real talk: as much as I've loved Doom 2016, I couldn't bring myself to finish the game. I think i gave up around 80% of the way in. I think one of the reasons I've dropped it was playing on console TBH (i can't properly shoot guns without a mouse), but maybe the level/enemy variety and the general gameplay loop played a part too. So, as much as I've loved the last title, I'm thinking what could they pull off this time around to make me interested in the game and possibly make me stick with it until the end?
I even quit on the last boss so 99,9%. I was just done with the game.

Nice to see people really enjoying doom 2016. It was not really MY doom from the old days.

I missed the regular grunts with guns. Doom 2016 just have some half dead grunts wandering around. I also disliked the fact that every enemy went into a finishing stage and you needed to finish them off up close.. On the original doom you would just blow them meters backward with the shotgun. I also disliked Arena like combat zones where you would demolish the nest and the doors close untill you killed everything. Felt very repetitive in my opinion.

I liked the soundtrack though.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Been listening to the Stream whilst playing Read Dead 2 Online.

I cannot wait for this soundtrack to be released.

Doom 2016 did not handle well with me. Felt too slow. This is looking better.

There are some late game abilities that speeds the game very much

My new walk through with basic abilities felt very slow I agree.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This is a bit unreasonable don't you think? There are obviously different expectations when you're playing a cowboy sim focusing on meticulous realism versus when you're walking, double jumping, demon meat grinder personified.

I don't really share the same opinion but I can see where they're coming fron
Oh they're totally different games, I just find it funny as if I had to sum up why I quit RDR2 "slow" would definitely be it.

I mean the story section where you literally have your walk speed adjusted so you're unable to sprint... maddening.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Unpopular opinion here - I think Mick Gordon's soundtrack works extremely well when playing Doom (2016), but not a pleasurable soundtrack to the aural senses when listened in isolation.

OP
OP
Tovarisc

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Not particularly. A lot of the tunes in the OST sound very similar with this gutteral metal.

His Wolfenstein OSTs are superior. Check out this absolute beauty:

I think that plays into how you perceive DOOM OST as standalone thing when it isn't backdrop to kickass action. I like heavier tunes quite a bit myself and I think DOOM 2016 has banger OST, I listen to it every now and then still. Eternal OST seems to continue that.

Same time I also appreciate his other work like that Wolfenstein OST so I totally see why you may like it.

Just so there is no misunderstanding: I don't mean to say you are in wrong for not finding DOOM OST banger on its own

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
I also disliked the fact that every enemy went into a finishing stage and you needed to finish them off up close.. On the original doom you would just blow them meters backward with the shotgun. I also disliked Arena like combat zones where you would demolish the nest and the doors close untill you killed everything. Felt very repetitive in my opinion.

You're not required to glory kill every enemy in Doom 2016. You can just shoot them at range while they're in the staggered state and they'll die normally.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I even quit on the last boss so 99,9%. I was just done with the game.

Nice to see people really enjoying doom 2016. It was not really MY doom from the old days.

I missed the regular grunts with guns. Doom 2016 just have some half dead grunts wandering around. I also disliked the fact that every enemy went into a finishing stage and you needed to finish them off up close.. On the original doom you would just blow them meters backward with the shotgun. I also disliked Arena like combat zones where you would demolish the nest and the doors close untill you killed everything. Felt very repetitive in my opinion.

The arena style combat zones does get very repetitive in Doom.

I really hope they have improved on the game design in Eternal. I do not want to play a rehash of the first game.

Emick81

Jan 17, 2018
You're not required to glory kill every enemy in Doom 2016. You can just shoot them at range while they're in the staggered state and they'll die normally.
Yes, i know that of course but the game rewarded you with more stuff if you did go for the Glorykill.

The whole staggering thing first made my guns feel less powerful.

Oct 25, 2017
Well.

I'm up to Hell.

It's a pretty nifty bit of gameplay design. Very smooth. Surprisingly tactical. You can tell it was playtested to death.

The tower level was particularly tense. It escalated really nicely.
All I'll say is it's a surprisingly long game. Not to say you won't be able to finish it within this weekend, but they put a lot into the campaign.

Glad you're digging it!

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Well.

I'm up to Hell.

It's a pretty nifty bit of gameplay design. Very smooth. Surprisingly tactical. You can tell it was playtested to death.

The tower level was particularly tense. It escalated really nicely.
The tactical part is one of the reasons why I found Doom so much fun. So many single player FPSes against monsters devolves into kiting and endless circle strafing. It's why I could never get into games like Serious Sam.

But Doom 2016 deliberately makes monsters that force you to put some thought into how you approach situations. You have to prioritize targets, plan where you're running, and so on.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
This is one of my most anticipated games of 2020. I absolutely loved Doom 2016. The only thing that worries me is multiplayer, SnapMap despite being complex was cool. Can't say I'm thrilled about the asymetric multiplayer mode they announced.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The tactical part is one of the reasons why I found Doom so much fun. So many single player FPSes against monsters devolves into kiting and endless circle strafing. It's why I could never get into games like Serious Sam.

But Doom 2016 deliberately makes monsters that force you to put some thought into how you approach situations. You have to prioritize targets, plan where you're running, and so on.

Totally. You have to juggle resources too, and do all of that in literal seconds.

It's what a lot of combat focused games aim to do with enemy type composition and level design, but executed really well.

There's some lovely little touches too. Like, I think it's neat how certain options - glory kills giving you health and chainsaw kills giving you ammo - drive you to be super aggressive.

It's never gonna break my top ten, but there's no denying that this is a top-tier bit of gaming.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for the impressions to roll in from the preview event. Giant bomb said that theirs should go live early next week.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get a lot of recommendations for the Doom Eternal Soundtrack on YouTube. Where does this music come from?
Bethesda's and Mick Gordon's channels didn't release anything. Did I miss something?
They played music for an hour alongside a countdown for the new Doom Eternal trailer on Bethesda's stream.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this has been discussed already but anyone else get a feeling of the movement and enemy hit reactions in the trailer being borderline mechanic? Like unnaturally smooth as if something was missing?

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah I also had the feeling that the in-game portions of the trailer looked a bit 'off' and not as polished as the rest. But I am sure the final game will be as awesome as DOOM 2016.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Doom 2016 got the same criticism before release in that the gameplay seemed so mechanical and how the animations engage & repeat without any subtlety. I felt the same and videos practically put me to sleep (even the demo where I went hands on) and I skipped the full product for months. Then word of mouth got to me and I got past the first couple of hours and then the arena combat really came into focus and it was glorious.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
"Who are you, a human to defy our tradition?"

What is canon now? DOOM Slayer-->Human?