• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm really exited to see the Switch port. I don't intend to double dip as I already got it on PC, but it's gonna be fascinating to see how they will transition this engine on Switch. It seems more flexible without the Megatexture, but it also punches way above the current generations weight.

Would be awesome to learn that it runs as well or even better than Doom 2016.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Between the test at the end with reducing the resolution in order to maximize frame rates, and LowSpecGamer's video, I'm really excited to see how this runs on Switch.

The scalability already seems crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit unrelated but does anyone else have the problem that they can't put the resolution of the video down from 4k? Youtube as a whole acts really funky since they announced to reduce video quality funnily enough.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
OK the performance in general is great, but during a certain late-game boss fight with lots of fire
Khan Makyr
the performance absolutely tanks on PS4 Pro. Weapon switching suddenly has 1 second input lag and everything becomes sluggish, which makes this fight incredibly frustrating, especially as it requires pin-point accuracy. What a let down and it definitely leaves a bad after-taste. I had to use the easy mode armor for the first time due to these issues. Next-gen with proper CPUs can not come soon enough!

Maybe the FOV max I set in options also impacts this fight...

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
OK the performance in general is great, but during a certain late-game boss fight with lots of fire
Khan Makyr
the performance absolutely tanks on PS4 Pro. Weapon switching suddenly has 1 second input lag and everything becomes sluggish, which makes this fight incredibly frustrating, especially as it requires pin-point accuracy. What a let down and it definitely leaves a bad after-taste. I had to use the easy mode armor for the first time due to these issues. Next-gen with proper CPUs can not come soon enough!

Maybe the FOV max I set in options also impacts this fight...
Huh, that's curious. I haven't made it that far on PS4 yet. Could it be heat related?

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Huh, that's curious. I haven't made it that far on PS4 yet. Could it be heat related?

I played a few hours yesterday until I arrived at this boss, so could be. "Absolutely tanks" was maybe an exaggeration, because I was furious at this moment. It feels however like 40 frames instead of 60 during the most heated (and thus most deadly) moments of the fight. The input lag during weapon switching was especially unbearable, it really was a second or more or did not register at all. Maybe it was a bug... anyone else bothered by this boss?

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I must say that I'm suprisingly disappointed with the graphics in this compared to previous Doom .. textures even on enemies seem less detailed that they were in 2016 and this is even more shown in the model viewer... there are some really blocky looking objects and environments and particle effects apart from fire are not impressive at all too .. this is all with graphics set on UN.. in the case of the enemy models that be cause of the fact that they now after taking damage are falling apart, but when it comes to the other aspects I don't know what happened

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I must say that I'm suprisingly disappointed with the graphics in this compared to previous Doom .. textures even on enemies seem less detailed that they were in 2016 and this is even more shown in the model viewer... there are some really blocky looking objects and environments and particle effects apart from fire are not impressive at all too .. this is all with graphics set on UN.. in the case of the enemy models that be cause of the fact that they now after taking damage are falling apart, but when it comes to the other aspects I don't know what happened
I have no clue what you're talking about. What specific items are you looking at that would lead to this conclusion? It genuinely does not make sense.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I have no clue what you're talking about. What specific items are you looking at that would lead to this conclusion? It genuinely does not make sense.

I don't have how to take screens from my own game, but this is what I mean..
Lower textures and more flat looking lighting (and this is not only case in the model viewer) compared to previous game
UB7mO9S.png

1yYiqfP.png

JTaL1p5.png

yOY6F0O.png

359008-14803-3973.jpg

qFmzWj0.png

BYXDNDI.png

But thanks to the artstyle in places and when the player isn't looking at objects from near, then the game can still look pretty decent in some places
Zx83tS1.png

YmpRo6x.png

kpCyPRb.png

Last edited:

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
I know - different opinions and all, but the praise here is quite different from Eurogamer's official review - which I personally didn't like by the way.
I believe Dark1x is a huge Doom fan, but his comments are much more in line with what I think than Edwin's take - basically the game is worst than 2016 because it's more of the same plus more content? Or at least that's what I got from his review.
That's a supremely odd take from Eurogamer. Doom Eternal is massively different from Doom '16, in like nearly every way outside of the music

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Has anyone else playing on XB1X seen the momentary pauses shown on this video? Wondering if it was just a hard drive issue, or more common.