• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Racos

Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to watching this after I finish the game. I'm playing it on One X, and the graphics are mind blowing to me. The game has been so much fun to play so far, and I'm incredibly happy to have supported the developers with my $60!

Desfrog

Oct 29, 2017
Game looks absurd. Have they given a window for when ray tracing is coming to the PC version? I heard it was being investigated.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't id license this shit out like Epic does? Surely they're leaving money on the table.

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't id license this shit out like Epic does? Surely they're leaving money on the table.
Their engine fits the purpose of theirs games. Licensing, maintaining, curating and a lot of things more aren't easy. To not talk that their engine might be good at some things(Things that they were actively looking to solve with IdTech) but not at others. Let's not forget the Frostbite drama, where a engine that triumphed at 1st person shooters became a disaster with others genres. Developing and maintaining an all purpose engine is hard.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Their engine fits the purpose of theirs games. Licensing, maintaining, curating and a lot of things more aren't easy. To not talk that their engine might be good at some things(Things that they were actively looking to solve with IdTech) but not at others. Let's not forget the Frostbite drama, where a engine that triumphed at 1st person shooters became a disaster with others genres. Developing and maintaining an all purpose engine is hard.
So don't sell it as an all-purpose then... I'd love to see indie shooters done in id Tech.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maintaining support and documentation for an engine to be used externally is a whole nother team worth of engineers. It's much easier to use your own tools internally than make them easy for anyone to use. Epic has put a TON of resources into Unreal for licencing purposes over the years and it shows.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maintaining support and documentation for an engine to be used externally is a whole nother team worth of engineers. It's much easier to use your own tools internally than make them easy for anyone to use. Epic has put a TON of resources into Unreal for licencing purposes over the years and it shows.
Maybe I'm off base here, but I feel like as complicated as all that is, creating and optimizing the underlying engine is probably still the more difficult and time consuming part. They've done that already.

I dunno. I'm just thinking of smaller scale indie/AA PC shooters. I feel like id Tech would be a huge boon to those.

Oct 25, 2017
So don't sell it as an all-purpose then... I'd love to see indie shooters done in id Tech.
Maybe they don' want to spend time and effort having to set up a support team, having to spend time with they legal team formulating contracts specifics, looking at the ways they will license. It's not just a matter of releasing an .exe of IdTech Editor and call a day. In the end of the day, even if Id Software wants to do that, they still need Zenimax permission, and we already know their stance about the matter.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Going back to show Doom 2016 in the video, it almost looks a full generation apart from Eternal.

The levels in Eternal are bigger and, forgive me not knowing the technical words, packed with way more stuff and all that way more stuff is more detailed.

The difference between the two games is incredible, putting visuals aside, so much more variety in environments, much more art, then you've got all the new mechanics and gimmicks + it runs better than the original and with faster load times.

Excellent effort all round from iD and great video from DF.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm off base here, but I feel like as complicated as all that is, creating and optimizing the underlying engine is probably still the more difficult and time consuming part. They've done that already.

I dunno. I'm just thinking of smaller scale indie/AA PC shooters. I feel like id Tech would be a huge boon to those.
They shipped the game, their engineers are free to work on whatever is next. Supporting an engine is constant, it's just not the type of thing the studio has experience doing.

id would need to substantially hire up and set up entirely new teams that don't exist there to manage that product full time. That means hiring new management as well as engineers. Bethesda either figured this isn't a viable business venture, or don't want to invest in it.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
The game is amazing from a technical and artistic point of view.
Its style, also, looks "raytracing ready" and once updated for RTX/nextgen will do wonders.
id Software are wizards.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had the random pauses/ hitches on Xbox One X. As John says in the video, might be a hard drive health issue.

Game is incredible. It just does so much more than the previous game visually and gameplay wise. I feel it's a very different game than Doom 2016 and I'm looking forward to discussing the design and gameplay changes once I've finished it.

Seeing how efficient the engine performs has my mind turning towards the eventual Switch version. Several times throughout the game I've thought "How does this run on an Xbox One X? Wait l, how can this possibly run on a Switch?".

With as many smart optimisation and improvements to the engine as we have, and with how well it runs on base Xbox One... could the Switch version target 60fps? I don't think it will and never expected more than 30fps but yesterday it seemed impossible... today I think Id are wizards and Panic Button will translate that wizardry. I can't wait to see how the game runs on Switch.

Do the DF guys still have that "Switch spec" PC lying around?

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Will Alex be doing a PC specific video? Seeing how dynamic res works across varying GPUS would be interesting. Works poorly on my pascal GPU.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
Very impressive. Can't help but wonder how the Switch version will run. As long as the port is at least on the same level as 2016, it's going to be a insta buy from me!

But then again, the game look so massive with so many improvement! Really curious.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Tech 7 finally puts ID back on top, in terms of engine tech and games that show off that tech. Really impressive and I really hope Quake reboot is the next thing that uses the engine. Now, If only they could make a good MP focused games and they would be really back on form.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
The people who say that Doom 2016 looks better is so strange to me. It is extremely obvious that this game looks better.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
About the hitching on Xbox One X, everyone should go and disable empowered demons in the options. This feature requires a connnection to the internet to bring in monsters that have killed players in other games like Dark Souls. I've seen it cause loading to take much longer and I would assume it could cause hitching trying to load in a monster on the fly.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Bravo to the folks at iD. Incredible work especially considering the turnaround. Top tier talent over there.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
I was worried that this game would be too much for the Switch, but the engine looks better and runs better than id Tech 6? Switch players are in for a treat later this year.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The people who say that Doom 2016 looks better is so strange to me. It is extremely obvious that this game looks better.
Ehh, art wise /anesthetics I prefer 2016 horror sci-fi vibe that was still trying to adhere to real world. And cramped dark levels with multiple light sources were really atmospheric. That's despite me not liking the game that much

Izunavis

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm ready for next gen like everyone else but when I see a game like this with so much detail running at 60fps , it makes me wonder how much more efficient devs can make games on current hardware if next gen wasn't around the corner.

Oct 26, 2017
I may be somewhat disappointed with the game itself but I can't fault the visuals and performance, massive respect to the guys at id.

Zeenbor

Developer at Run Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I find it interesting that id is using forward rendering instead of deferred for this game. Does this mean Doom Eternal VR is coming soon?

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
so should i go onex or ps4 pro with this one?
getting tired of this onex trend of pushing res to the point of sacrificing performance. first cod now this.
there has to be sweet spot where it looks and performs optimally.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
Watching streams of this, man the game runs butter smooth despite the container movement and chaos on screen.

fantastic to see id on topof their game once again.

now where my quake 1 reboot?

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017

has to be artistic preference. haven't played eternal but from what i see they seem to have gone with a more arcadey feel.
maybe more in line with original games.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this video Dark1x! I particularly enjoyed the bits about the engine tools themselves and the deep dive into the systems. I wish we could see that with more games you review but I can understand some studios being hesitant to do so.

Did they allow you to play with their tools and assets when creating the video? That would be quite the experience.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought eternal but never played 2016 even though I have it. Played them both (much more 2016 as I want to finish it first). I agree it looks better for me because of the lightning. More realistic. But I didn't see much of eternal. Might change later

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The textures are just good enough now that you don't notice them being bad like in 2016. The extra he in the base game will be an absolute god send when the RTX patch comes out and also DLSS 2.0.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I really, REALLY hope Vulkan becomes the game development standard, on all platforms, with the next generation.
Having LOD be handled based on an objects size in pixels makes so much sense. More games need to use it.

Last edited:

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
It is mental what the engine can do Vulkan wise.

2070 no super at 2880p@60fps. I have dyn res on, but seriously never noticed anything dropping ever.

And everything on ultra-nightmare settings to boot? GG iD, fucken GG.
Isn't that the point of dynamic res? Or are you saying dynamic resolution isn't even needed/kicking in to keep a target 60 fps?