• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Doom 2016 saw a classic franchise and a legendary developer revitalised - but Doom Eternal ramps everything up to the next level. Join John Linneman for a deep dive into id Tech 7, a look at id's development environment - plus of course, all formats are tested.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Article is also up:

www.eurogamer.net

Doom Eternal analysis: how id Tech 7 pushes current-gen consoles to the limit

Doom 2016 revitalised the fortunes of both id software and the classic Doom franchise, delivering a phenomenal, exhilar…

At the top of the stack we have Xbox One X which tops out at 1800p, while PS4 Pro comes in with a maximum resolution of 1440p. The vanilla PS4 is maxes out at 1080p and Xbox One S hits a high of 900p. In all cases, dynamic resolution scaling is implemented to ensure consistent performance. Xbox One X takes pole position here with a resolution that seems to stay above 1440p even in busy scenes, dropping to 1080p or maybe slightly below in the busiest scenes. Both base consoles can drop to near 720p, though PS4 never quite drops that low. Of the four, the base Xbox One is the only version that regularly appears blurry during normal gameplay, but at least aliasing is kept to a minimum across all platforms. Image quality is fantastic, all things considered.

Beyond resolution, settings also differ per platform. The base systems offer detail levels consistent with the PC version set to medium while Xbox One X and PS4 Pro use a mix of high and ultra settings.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
man, seeing the amount of triangles in wireframes mesh.....we've definitely come a long way in terms of tech..

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
One of the most gorgeous games I've played this gen. Art direction is great.

CoinReturn

Nov 7, 2017
Playing on X and I wasn't prepared for how good this game looks. Best use of HDR I've seen so far.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I know - different opinions and all, but the praise here is quite different from Eurogamer's official review - which I personally didn't like by the way.
I believe Dark1x is a huge Doom fan, but his comments are much more in line with what I think than Edwin's take - basically the game is worst than 2016 because it's more of the same plus more content? Or at least that's what I got from his review.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
The engine is absolutely perfect for what it does. Can't believe I can max it out at 1440p on my 1080 and get 90-100fps.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hoped for dynamic resolution to keep 60 fps and I'm happy they used it!

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
The framerate hitching on One X in the video is interesting, I've been playing the game a bunch on X and haven't had it happen a single time. Wonder what's causing it.
Knowing my luck it'll happen to me the next time I play though.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Looks amazing, runs great and the gameplay is ever bit as good as Doom 2016, if not even better. The campaign is awesome so far.

How the game handle's armour, health and ammo this time makes each combat encounter very strategic, almost puzzle like, while keeping combat fast flowing and really rewarding, it's bloody brilliant.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
The framerate hitching on One X in the video is interesting, I've been playing the game a bunch on X and haven't had it happen a single time. Wonder what's causing it.
Knowing my luck it'll happen to me the next time I play though.

I popped in here hoping someone would comment on this. I have to decide if I want to get this on X or Pro. I'm leaning towards the X version, but that hitching in the video is definitely a reason to consider the Pro build.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, the video is probably the one most full of praise in the entire career of dark1x. Also very interesting info about the development process and enhancements since 2016.

I'm just waiting for the new gen of cards to jump on it. I'd be delighted to play this at 144fps.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I might get the PS4 Pro version as well, just for a more relaxed playthrough and to witness the game in HDR.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
The game looks and runs significantly better than 2016. It's shocking how well optimized the game and engine are even when things get super intense. id set a new benchmark on this one.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Truly fantastic stuff all around. Incredibly well optimized for all the systems. Even Xbox One can hold its own, which today is quite damn impressive. I do have to say that looking at all console versions I'm surprised how good it looks on X and quite a big step up in terms of image clarity compared to the other versions. Well freaking done ID.

If I didn't have enough stuff to play I'd buy it.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
The way geometry is dropped during rendering when obscured by other objects, is that a more basic version of what XSX and PS5 are going to do, or the same, or??? Seems great already, and overall the whole engine seems to be very next-gen ready.

I'll have to play Doom 16 first, though, bought that in the Xmas sale and haven't even installed it yet.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks amazing, runs great and the gameplay is ever bit as good as Doom 2016, if not even better. The campaign is awesome so far.

How the game handle's armour, health and ammo this time makes each combat encounter very strategic, almost puzzle like, while keeping combat fast flowing and really rewarding, it's bloody brilliant.

Been on the fence. You've just sold me on it haha.

Great job as usual Dark1x

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The whole DF crew does a good job, but John's content is always one step above.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
1800p on XB1X vs 1440p Pro. The power difference is larger between these 2 than PS5 and Series X. Differences are gonna be negligible next gen.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Best thing is the loading times on PC using an SSD. It's practically instantaneous after a death, and just like 3-4 seconds to load a level from a fresh startup.

freshyk

Jan 15, 2020
It's a mindblowingly impressive technical achievement. The game plays and looks amazing.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Framerate/time comparisons between all the consoles based on VGTech's latest video. The performance is solid on all platforms.

1ihkpx.png

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
That decal system is amazing, I never would have thought of using them for that. Really good and fascinating deep dive into Id and their tools.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Losing Carmack was the best thing happened to IDtech. So much better than their previous 2 approaches

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
1800p on XB1X vs 1440p Pro. The power difference is larger between these 2 than PS5 and Series X. Differences are gonna be negligible next gen.

They are now to be honest, it's not like the PS3 and 360 where the PS3 version would look considerably worse in multiplatform games i.e Red Dead Redemption, Mafia 2 etc.

The Pro version looks nice, the X version just looks a bit nicer.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
Losing Carmack was the best thing happened to IDtech. So much better than their previous 2 approaches

I never thought thta id would become so efficient qithout Carmack. I thought they would have never been able to deliver decent tech without him.

They have shut me uo twice now. They are wizards

EXTREMELY excited for the patches for Next-gen consoles!

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

As long as DF keeps making comparison videos the differences will make version X completely unplayable.
Because every small victory counts......sheeesh.

And I was stuck with an Xbox One VCR a good portion of the generation.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Masterpiece of an engine. Performance is even better than what I would expect out of my PC specs.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
It really is an absolute wonder to behold running on these shitty Jaguar CPU's. This engine is going to fucking purr next gen.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I know - different opinions and all, but the praise here is quite different from Eurogamer's official review - which I personally didn't like by the way.
I believe Dark1x is a huge Doom fan, but his comments are much more in line with what I think than Edwin's take - basically the game is worst than 2016 because it's more of the same plus more content? Or at least that's what I got from his review.
Yeah, to say that I disagree with Edwin would be a *HUGE* understatement. It's clear that we're looking for very different things indeed. I certainly find it interesting to hear different points of view, even if I don't agree, but it does feel slightly unfair...as if he just wanted something entirely different. But hey! If I were to review Animal Crossing, the result would be the same - I don't like it and my points of discussion wouldn't resonate with people that do. Which brings up the whole 'who should review a game' question? I've enjoyed all the iterations of Doom and appreciate all their differences - it was pretty clear that, unless they really dropped the ball, I was going to love this game.

That said, I do have a few nitpicks with certain elements that would be fun to discuss, but my viewpoint was always going to vary compared to someone like Edwin who has a different take on it all.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how 2016 doom will run on next gen with faster hard drives and more memory. Will the pop in disappear?

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Random performance blips with the One X version? I don't use my Xbox One often, but is this just a common thing with the console? I noticed the same thing with Ori 2, where I was forced to reboot the console to fix the framerate.

Seems strange for a console to not offer consistent, reproducible performance.