• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 4, 2018
The epic conclusion to the DOOM Slayer's saga is coming soon – watch the full trailer reveal on March 17th, 2021. Your war against Hell ends here.

DE_TAGP2_Key_Art_3840x2160.jpg

Last edited:

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've been operating under the assumption that this will come at the same time as the PS5/XSX enhancements. Here's hoping for news on 3/17

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
A trailer for a trailer...

Couldn't they just have announced this for the 17th? I guess it makes sense if they're dropping it on the 18th.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
It's odd they are ending the saga within a dlc. The story in the dlc is bigger than the one in the main game.

Guess they want to move on from Doom into Quake or something.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
They obviously have to free up the rest of Id to go all hands on deck on the Quake reboot, right? /s

But honestly, I am a little surprised. It seems like the last two Doom games have sold pretty well and gotten a lot of acclaim, I would've thought they'd do one more.

I'm not sure how big of a team it was, but my un-educated assumption was that Id had a smaller second team that helped development on Rage 2. I wonder if they're doing concept/pre-production on the next game (Quake?), and when the rest of the studio is done with the DLC, they'll move onto that?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's probably fine to let the slayer rest for a while.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Pretty curious what their reasoning was to not make a third game if this really is the end. Still though,

HYYYYYPPPEEEE

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
A trailer for a trailer...

Couldn't they just have announced this for the 17th? I guess it makes sense if they're dropping it on the 18th.
You know how you get more people to watch your trailer? You tease the trailer. With a teaser trailer. Like has been done for literal decades across several forms of media.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm still holding out for the nextgen version before I dip into the DLC. I'm starting to get concerned that they seem to be making a point not to bring it up.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
not gonna watch but i am so hyped for this

edit: as much as i love these Doom games if this means we're getting a new ip from them that would be so exciting. or a new Quake. either one

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
It's too bad, they called the season pass the "Year 1 pass" and I always took that to mean that there would at least be second year of DLC :/ I wonder if COVID messed their plans up. Seems like it got in the way of their Master level ambitions as well.

Regardless, id is killing it right now so at the end of the day I trust them with whatever they wanna work on

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hope the next gen upgrade comes out at the same time since I've been waiting for that before starting the first DLC.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Should be an amazing game to round out the series.

Next stop, Quake remake.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
What means conclusion of the saga? No more Doom? :(

Please bring the game back to only Mars...

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I'd be ok with Doom going away for a few years and then have it come back as a launch title for the next Xbox.

If TAG: Part 2 is as substantial as Part 1 then in totality that's effectively a full game right there.

Agree with others about wanting them to do something with Halo.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
They obviously have to free up the rest of Id to go all hands on deck on the Quake reboot, right? /s

But honestly, I am a little surprised. It seems like the last two Doom games have sold pretty well and gotten a lot of acclaim, I would've thought they'd do one more.

I'm not sure how big of a team it was, but my un-educated assumption was that Id had a smaller second team that helped development on Rage 2. I wonder if they're doing concept/pre-production on the next game (Quake?), and when the rest of the studio is done with the DLC, they'll move onto that?
From what we know more Id people actually worked on Wolfenstein The New Colossus than Rage 2, even if they marketed it the other way around.

But yeah, Doom is like the best thing Bethesda did in the last few years.
They lost some goodwill with Fallout 76 and even Fallout 4 in a way and at the same time games like Prey, Dishonored and Evil Within have a following but seemingly flopped.
Doom seemed like the only franchise Bethesda had were the critical and commerical response was very positive.
Hopefully this just means that they want the people that made the new Dooms into what they are to put there hands on other franchises to do a similar thing.

Who knows how plans changed under Microsoft now.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Really looking forward to this and I'm glad it seems like they'll be moving on to something else. Such a talented team.

May 17, 2018
Wait, was this always known as the "epic conclusion"? Was this the plan from the start? I don't remember anyone mentioning this before.

Huge bummer for me, if so. Doom Eternal is special for me, man.

Oct 28, 2017
If this really is the end to the new Doom saga then thats amazing. But i feel like it could have been handled a little better in terms of marketing. The two new expansions probably should have been pushed as one stand alone story like The Old Blood or Young Blood.

Seeing what this studio will do next will be extremely interesting.