• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I can't believe people hate eternal so much. Game was so much fun for me. Loved every bit. Not buying the dlc tho

Fenzer

Nov 6, 2017
Any update on the release of the next gen patch ? I don't know if I should start this now or wait for my PS5

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe people hate eternal so much. Game was so much fun for me. Loved every bit. Not buying the dlc tho

Game had an amazing gameplay loop.... That went on for too long and overstayed it's welcome in the main campaign. By the end, I was rolling my eyes at all the encounters as they just threw more shit at you as a means of padding the length of said campaign.
Compound this with the wack as hell way they decided to deliver their "story" like they weren't even confident about it. Which, is understandable as it's bad.... And not in a "so bad, it's good" way.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Game had an amazing gameplay loop.... That went on for too long and overstayed it's welcome in the main campaign. By the end, I was rolling my eyes at all the encounters as they just threw more shit at you as a means of padding the length of said campaign.
Compound this with the wack as hell way they decided to deliver their "story" like they weren't even confident about it. Which, is understandable as it's bad.... And not in a "so bad, it's good" way.
I guess I didn't play it with a mind toward critiquing it. I just kind of played it. I tend to not think that hard about the games I play. It was a shooting game with bombastic music. The shooting was fun. That's really all I needed.

Games are a means to turn off my brain because I think all day. Doom accomplishes that in spades.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eternal's story is a huge misstep compared to 2016. Thankfully, it's possible to skip basically every cutscene (unlike 2016) and the combat is just sublime.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I just beat the dlc and holy hell it was amazing! Doom Eternal was already my game of the year back in March but now its my game of the year a second time. The level design and enemy encounters are really top notch in this dlc and they did an amazing job at keeping things fresh and interesting. The story and lore is also as amazing as ever and that twist at the end... I love it!

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just beat the dlc and holy hell it was amazing! Doom Eternal was already my game of the year back in March but now its my game of the year a second time. The level design and enemy encounters are really top notch in this dlc and they did an amazing job at keeping things fresh and interesting. The story and lore is also as amazing as ever and that twist at the end... I love it!
So how long would you say the DLC was?

Wondering if I should jump in now or just wait for both to come out so it feels like a more full experience?

I know the current claim is 6 hours, but I also remember Eternal claiming it would take a few hours more than the average actually ended up, so curious if it's like 6* hours, or actually is 6 hours.

*Meaning it is 6 hours if you like absolutely do everything and explore every nook.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
So how long would you say the DLC was?

Wondering if I should jump in now or just wait for both to come out so it feels like a more full experience?

I know the current claim is 6 hours, but I also remember Eternal claiming it would take a few hours more than the average actually ended up, so curious if it's like 6* hours, or actually is 6 hours.

*Meaning it is 6 hours if you like absolutely do everything and explore every nook.

It took me around 5 or 6 hours but that was because I took my time to explore everything and take in the environments and lore. It would probably be much shorter if you were to just blaze right through to the end.

As for jumping in now or waiting for the second part, personally I couldn't wait until the second part because I loved the base game so much and needed an excuse to come to come back to it. It also depends on how much you can handle cliffhangers lol.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Eternal's story was very basic but had the potential to get worse. This dlc decided to double down on the things I didn't want them to do.

The dlc itself is well worth it but the story? It is the worst part.

It doesn't feel like Doom right now. Doom 4 had the best balance but once they started going more warhammer 40k it got worse.

Oh brother. This is what I was worried about.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
The opening level of this thing is bonkers, like it's like a slayer gate version of the last level of Eternal, I didn't mind the increased difficulty of Eternal but that had a ramp up and a curve, this is just in your face screaming fuck you in the most hostile manner possible.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Do you need your old save file for this?
Just found out my old save file is corrupted (Bethsoft launcher)

Oct 27, 2017
The opening level of this thing is bonkers, like it's like a slayer gate version of the last level of Eternal, I didn't mind the increased difficulty of Eternal but that had a ramp up and a curve, this is just in your face screaming fuck you in the most hostile manner possible.
Just played for about an hour and, yeah, I should have been training for this.

Turns out I've forgotten how to play end of game Doom Eternal. It's great but there's no doubt that this picks up where the campaign left off in terms of difficulty.

I like it.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Just finished the first level. I need to take a break because oh boy every encounter ramps up to 11 just like the last level of the main game. It is almost too intense like damn.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
Have they said when the next gen patch will come? I will buy this and play than on PS5. I LOVED eternal

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
whew, glad i decided to replay the last two levels of the base game before starting this. throws everything at you right away. loving it so far

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I might wait to play this after replaying both games on the ps5. Too intense to jump back into the level of intensity that the end of the game was.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
My Elite controller is in the shop so I played this on hurt me plenty with a regular Xbox controller. My hands are mangled but I had fun.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
This DLC is so good. Man, I love Doom Eternal. It's the pinacle of gaming. Amazing audiovisual feedback. Even swimming feels great in this game. You push a button and something awesome happens on screen. Even the most basic gun, the shotgun, sounds like it's gonna blown your TV to pieces. The cutscenes are awesome, and take like 20 minutes of total game time. And you can skip it. No "walk and talk" sections. Doom 2016 locked you in a room with Hayden for 2 minutes, but this game doesn't commit this kinda mistake. From start to finish you'll be jumping and shooting, or jumping and running, or swimming, and everything feels great. This is The Game of the Generation, and I can't wait for Doom 2016-3 and The Ancient Gods Part 2.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god I can't wait.

Eternal is at it's best when it's Slayer Gates level hard.

How long/how many levels?

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Aw crap I really need to play this. I'm gonna wait until the new PC is built. Seems like appropiate (besides, Eternal ran well at launch but after some patches it became really bad)

Also, that trailer was so fucking metal. Sounds like One from Metallica

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I scaled a fucking mountain. I should've gone Ultra-Violence to start with. I got too cocky. I have no idea how they can make this any harder for the next part. I shouldn't have done this in one sitting. Fuck.

Some insanely good maps but this is some of the most brutal video game I've ever played through. I can't imagine doing this on Ultra-Nightmare, and yet I know that's exactly what people are gonna do. I will say; Spirits make Marauders look like absolute pushovers. People who disliked Doom Eternal because Marauders "made people play a certain way" are gonna hate these guys even more. This entire campaign was made by people who just don't give a fuck. This is Doom Eternal's "The Lost Levels".

On the topic of the humor, I thought it still had some pretty tongue-in-cheek moments. I laughed when they brought back Anthony Fantano and had him be the new guide/partner for the back half.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
"THIS GAME CAN'T BE CARTONY, WE NEED SERIOUS DOOM!"

*Dial the campy Warhammer-esque fantasy fans loved in Eternal up to 11*

"THE MARAUDER IS TOO HARD, YOU FUCKING SUCK ID!"

*Buff the Marauder and make a mandatory encounter were you need to fight two of them*

"ENVIORMENTAL HAZARDS ARE POOR LEVEL DESIGN!"

*Make the environmental hazard to end all environmental hazard levels"

"PLATFORMING?! IN MY DOOM. NO MORE OF THIS!"

*Add even more insane and challenging platforming"

"THIS GAME IS TOO HARD, IT'S TOO HARD TO BE FUN UNLIKE DOOM 2016"

*Make the expansion even harder then the base game*

I kind of love how ID took the feedback from the vocal minority and flushed them down the toilet. They are 100 percent set on there vision of DOOM.

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god it just dawned on me

These bastards literally took Doom: Repercussions of Evil / "No John, you are the demons" and turned it into actual canon LMAOOOOOOO

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Man, after several COD beta sessions on PS4 I have to get used to that high fps rate on PC. Everything is so smooth. :)
I like that I get to keep my whole arsenal/progress.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting to me that it takes two people to fill Mick's shoes. First with KI S3 and now with Doom DLC. And from what I've heard so far even a collaboration between two talented musicians can't match Mick's unique approach to songwriting and arrangement.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It's interesting to me that it takes two people to fill Mick's shoes. First with KI S3 and now with Doom DLC. And from what I've heard so far even a collaboration between two talented musicians can't match Mick's unique approach to songwriting and arrangement.
Yeah this is kind of how I feel about what I've heard so far. It sounds good but not quite on the same level. It's a damn shame Gordon and Bethesda/iD's relationship turned into a mess.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017

*Buff the Marauder and make a mandatory encounter were you need to fight two of them*

I kind of love how ID took the feedback from the vocal minority and flushed them down the toilet. They are 100 percent set on there vision of DOOM.
And I'm fuckin here for it man

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

Still not a fan of the Marauder but fucking hell yeah.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017

Trying to wait until part 2's out, but as someone who liked 2016 and thought Eternal was one of the best FPSs in years, it sounds like I'm in for a good time!

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
No reviews huh. Well that's lame. Impressions here seem positive overall but not glowing and they're enough to make me wait for reviews or just keep my cherished memories of s Doom Eternal (minus the bosses and the Marauders) intact.

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
welp it seems like this dlc is gonna ruin other games for me for the foreseeable future just like the main game did back in march. once you get into a rhythm in this game it's a gaming nirvana that only something like DMC can match for me

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I've downloaded it but I think I wont' get a chance to try it for long tonight. Hopefully it'll go well.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017

Oh man I am BEYOND hyped to play this.

Probably won't get to until after my brother gets a series X so I'll hold off a bit.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god I can't wait.

Eternal is at it's best when it's Slayer Gates level hard.

How long/how many levels?

There are 3 levels, maybe as long if not slightly shorter than a campaign level. Every room is pretty much a Slayer Gate arena. I am playing on UV

It's good content, if you want more Doom, this is more fuckin Doom