• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for DOOM Eternal?

• 95-99

Votes: 118 6.3%
  • 90-94

Votes: 950 50.9%
  • 85-89

Votes: 697 37.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 83 4.4%
  • 75-79

Votes: 10 0.5%
  • <75

Votes: 10 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did any review specify PC hardware or performance? I'm curious what it takes to run it at 1440p120.

EDIT: Did find something:

www.game-debate.com

DOOM Eternal PC performance report - Graphics card benchmarks

DOOM Eternal hardware performance benchmarked, optimsation analysis and graphics options.

www.pcgamesn.com

Doom Eternal PC performance: the best hardware for higher FPS while splitting skulls

id makes another game that runs well on almost anything

Look possible on the 2070 Super, but it is going to sweat.
I think we can all agree that when the recommended requirements for 60fps at 1080p said to set all the settings to Medium on a GTX 970, we all got a bit worried. But it's safe to say that Nvidia GTX 970 does a pretty good job at 1080p. Whilst you may not be able to reach those Ultra settings due to the lower VRAM available, getting 80+fps on high at 1080p is such a relief and DOOM Eternal plays and looks great regardless on the GTX 970. Those of you with the 970 who were worried about their performance, don't, it's got this.

NvrbuUN.gif

I won't have to retire my old faithful just yet.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Is this the most stacked month gaming has ever seen?

Ori and the WIll of the Wisps - 90 MC (March 11th)
Nioh 2 - 86 MC
Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 91 MC
Doom Eternal - 90 MC
Persona 5 Royal - 96 MC
Resident Evil 3
Final Fantasy VII Remake (April 10th)

All those games released within a 30 day period.

It's living up to the hype so far that's for sure.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nioh 2 - 86 MC
Doom Eternal - 90 MC
Persona 5 Royal - 96 MC
Resident Evil 3

And Half Life Alyx!

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Sup Mike. You found that? I wasn't so much having that issue in the game. But I did have a couple issues in the late game on some of the coffin floating jumps :(
Yeah man. If a platform is going to drop into the void, make it super easy to know exactly where to jump next damn it! Those coffin jumps are the reason I brought it up! I don't have 30 seconds to scan the environment and figure out where I'm supposed to go.

Just curious, did you 100% each mission?

God no. I had to finish the game for review.

Also, this is the guy to watch out for.
tQw8Tbk.png

not the first time, but later? Screw this guy. I hate him.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Do you have to finish the campaign and use the Mission select again to access the Photo Mode like 2016's or can you use it immediately? Also is the mode similar to the last game, no Slayer model etc?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah man. If a platform is going to drop into the void, make it super easy to know exactly where to jump next damn it! Those coffin jumps are the reason I brought it up! I don't have 30 seconds to scan the environment and figure out where I'm supposed to go.

God no. I had to finish the game for review.

Also, this is the guy to watch out for.
tQw8Tbk.png

not the first time, but later? Screw this guy. I hate him.
Hahah the Maurader I had a special place in my review just for that POS.
I admit I loved his idea but I didn't feel he was in the best spots. I brought up the enemies spawned at some locations issue in mine. I feel also that him with that damned puma AND his ability to shift AND his speed AND his attacks...rough

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
can anyone point me to some reviews that talk about the writing/humor? the previews and trailers have been leaning on some jokes that feel really borderlands-y and lame to me, but i'm curious to know how that shook out before i make a decision about buying

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017

Nioh 2 - 86 MC
Doom Eternal - 90 MC
Persona 5 Royal - 96 MC
Resident Evil 3

A couple months spring to mind depending on your genre tastes, using Metacritic numbers -

November 2001

SSX Tricky - 92
Metal Gear Solid 2 - 96
Halo: CE - 97
Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 - 90
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (Gamecube) - 91
Super Smash Bros. Melee - 92
Jak and Daxter - 90 (released early December but within 30 days of SSX Tricky)

November 2007

Super Mario Galaxy - 97
Call of Duty 4: MW - 94
Crysis - 91
Rock Band - 92
Mass Effect - 91

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear that the PC version isn't as taxing as the specs made it out to be. Hoping to hit 4k/60 on my 1080ti, fingers crossed

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
can anyone point me to some reviews that talk about the writing/humor? the previews and trailers have been leaning on some jokes that feel really borderlands-y and lame to me, but i'm curious to know how that shook out before i make a decision about buying
I can't point you to one. However in no way does it reflect a Borderlands style humor

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I've got a 1070 Ti and I was very impressed with how well the game ran on High with dynamic res scaling. 60FPS smooth as butter pretty much.

From what I've played so far (about 1/3 of the game), it feels pretty mild. Some amusingly dry comments from the computer voices where they command the demon-possessed entities to kill the Doom Slayer, almost Portal-esque I'd say rather than Borderlands. But they're not overpowering at all.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Hahah the Maurader I had a special place in my review just for that POS.
I admit I loved his idea but I didn't feel he was in the best spots. I brought up the enemies spawned at some locations issue in mine. I feel also that him with that damned puma AND his ability to shift AND his speed AND his attacks...rough

Me to the Marauder:
SelfreliantGleefulGroundbeetle-max-1mb.gif

If you took away the demon cat, I think I'd hate him less. But that thing prevents you from getting any space and he summons it all the time. He's fine alone, but in the demon scrum? WHEW.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
PC (most reviews right now) is sitting at a 90, amazing stuff honestly. Grats to everyone at id on a certified banger 💯

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have to finish the campaign and use the Mission select again to access the Photo Mode like 2016's or can you use it immediately? Also is the mode similar to the last game, no Slayer model etc?

You can't use the photo mode in your first campaign run, can freely use it in Mission Select. The game says Photo Mode (Beta). The player model is visible but it does have some glitches here and there, with some animations not displaying the whole body or not even allowing you to go third person/free camera mode because of that. Other than that it's a solid mode, took some real cool screenshots with it myself.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My review for ACG
www.youtube.com

Doom Eternal Review "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent, Never Touch?"

Join ACG To see the Best Gaming Reviews and Gaming Newshttps://rebrand.ly/joinacgMad Max Was the Cyberpunk of 2015 https://youtu.be/ZiuNfYBkSLMDestroy All Hu...
Oh my gosh, Karak, this looks like a meaty review. Just checked out the first part as I'm trying to go in a bit blind, so I'm going to watch the rest of this after I've finished the campaign, even if that is a bit silly.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
From what I've played so far (about 1/3 of the game), it feels pretty mild. Some amusingly dry comments from the computer voices where they command the demon-possessed entities to kill the Doom Slayer, almost Portal-esque I'd say rather than Borderlands. But they're not overpowering at all.

that's encouraging to hear. watching the previews I found all the stuff with the computer, the hub area with all the guitars, characters saying "doomguy" out loud, etc etc really overindulgent but if it's limited to that i can deal.

it's weird, the last game's occasional dry humor was pitch-perfect, but the marketing for the sequel has really leaned on that stuff in a way that has/had me worried the whole thing was going to jump the shark

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
That was replaying levels with what you had unlocked up until that point. You didn't have the abilities or guns you got after that level as far as I remember. I meant something more like a Souls game where NG+ is you keeping your same character with everything and the game is tuned for that additional difficulty with tougher / more varied enemies.
Incorrect.

But there isn't a tuned difficulty, no.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
You can't use the photo mode in your first campaign run, can freely use it in Mission Select. The game says Photo Mode (Beta). The player model is visible but it does have some glitches here and there, with some animations not displaying the whole body or not even allowing you to go third person/free camera mode because of that. Other than that it's a solid mode, took some real cool screenshots with it myself.

Excellent! I missed out on the last game's because it never opened up until you beat the game and used mission select. It could of also been a late update addition but I was surprised to learn of it just a few weeks ago...lol

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Any info regarding whether we get "real" HDR and also on PC?
German golem.de are not particularly fond of the "Mario like" jump 'n' run parts.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excellent! I missed out on the last game's because it never opened up until you beat the game and used mission select. It could of also been a late update addition but I was surprised to learn of it just a few weeks ago...lol

Yeah, the photo mode was added in Doom 2016 a couple months after launch. Since I already played the game a lot by then I'm not even sure I tried it, personally.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine your life's work is a dumb 87.

Yes that is actually a reference to an insanely dumb thing that someone said on here. Can't wait to play this.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Xbox and PC (Who have more reviews) have a 90, whilst the PS4 version has an 88/87 (keeps changing)

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Cheat codes sound like fun:
My favs: Party Mode and QuakeCon Mode. The former makes demons pop like confetti pinatas and the latter frames the action with a 'live' audience that cheers or boos based on how well you're doing. There's even a 'woo' guy. Paired with the classic center-screen gun perspective and a new option that gives Doomguy and his weapons their classic sounds, I'm having a blast whipping through the levels on a second playthrough, cleaning up collectibles as an immortal demigod in a well earned victory lap after my vanilla Ultra-Violence run. I cheated the game and didn't cheat myself. Doom Eternal is happy for me. Feels great.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Did any review specify PC hardware or performance? I'm curious what it takes to run it at 1440p120.

EDIT: Did find something:

www.game-debate.com

DOOM Eternal PC performance report - Graphics card benchmarks

DOOM Eternal hardware performance benchmarked, optimsation analysis and graphics options.

www.pcgamesn.com

Doom Eternal PC performance: the best hardware for higher FPS while splitting skulls

id makes another game that runs well on almost anything

Look possible on the 2070 Super, but it is going to sweat.

Sweet.
Looks like the concerns that official requirements generated were exaggerated.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Incorrect.

But there isn't a tuned difficulty, no.

I just loaded up my save and you're right, I had all the abilities and guns even on the early levels. Huh, I really thought I tried this at launch after first finishing it and that wasn't the case. Even after finishing the game again just recently I didn't even bother to go back for collectables because I assumed my guns and abilities were limited. Well now I know at least and will feel better about replaying levels in Doom Eternal! Thanks!

(I now realize the source of my confusion over this. When I first finished the game it was on the default difficulty and I wanted to play over again from the beginning on Nightmare, but with all my abilities and guns unlocked - which wasn't possible. It had to be done on a new save file. The memory of not being able to do that somehow morphed into me forgetting you kept everything on that particular difficulty.)

Last edited: