• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
That opening was nuts. Like a demented Space Marine Batman prepping in his orbiting Batcave with "At Doom's Gate" back. lol I love it. Shades of Fury Road in the opening too.

They really throw all the weaponry at you fast and early too. This month is gonna be hell to get through so hopefully IGN throws more vids out through the month.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
The pacing in that intro is bonkers. They're throwing heavy enemies (Arachnotron) at you 10 minutes in, meanwhile in 2016 it takes until level 3 until you fight a Hellknight.

I really like the decision of throwing away the pistol and making the combat shotgun the default. It looks excellent but I hope they don't shoot their wad too early and the last few hours don't become a slog.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
That opening was nuts. Like a demented Space Marine Batman prepping in his orbiting Batcave with "At Doom's Gate" back. lol I love it. Shades of Fury Road in the opening too.

They really throw all the weaponry at you fast and early too. This month is gonna be hell to get through so hopefully IGN throws more vids out through the month.

i guess it makes sense story/lore wise as in doom 2016, doomslayer was awakened from a long slumber and started his quest very far away from the main action (hell).

in eternal, i supposed the game opens not "long" from the end of doom 2016 (doomslayer getting 'robbed' by Hayden and being teleported away).

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

I think it makes sense to give the players alot of weapons early on. 1 it allows them more freedom to ramp the game up earlier since the players will have more tools and all the weapons will continue to evolve over the course of the game with mods

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
I do hope these bright green weapon pickups are purely for demo purposes, I thought it was awesome how you got the combat shotgun from a severed corpse or the entire segment leading up to the BFG in 2016. Although I am getting wary..

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game does not fuck around, you're in the action immediately with them double jumps, the shotgun and all the huzzah. I can't wait.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I do hope these bright green weapon pickups are purely for demo purposes, I thought it was awesome how you got the combat shotgun from a severed corpse or the entire segment leading up to the BFG in 2016. Although I am getting wary..
No, it's part of the game's aesthetic.

You might be able to toggle off the glow though.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Big respect for the IGN player, very skilled and entertaining to watch. Some missed shots aside it's almost like a developer demo.

It's good to see IGN assigning a skilled player to showcase new games instead of...you know. Anyways, props to whoever is in charge.

Last edited:

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, it starts with Hell on Earth? Do we go to back to Mars later in the campaign then? I figured we'd start there and loot the facilities for rebuilding VEGA.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I thought it was awesome how you got the combat shotgun from a severed corpse or the entire segment leading up to the BFG in 2016.
The way you acquire the Super Shotgun in this is way cooler than how you got any weapon in DOOM 2016. I'm hoping there's a lot of those kinds of little surprises or one-off sequences like that in the rest of the game.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
I watched the IGN's video showing the first 10 minutes and my already-high hype skyrocketed even more. Nice skills from the player as well.

Nevertheless, I've got some questions about the story because the beginning looks a bit disconnected with 2016's ending

If the slayer got sent to an unknown location in the previous game, how did he end up in the fortress of doom? Did he spent the 2 years that separate the two games doing fuck-all while the forces of hell decimated the earth and its population? How did he end up with Vega installed in his suit and a sleeve-less armour showing his biceps?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Big respect for the IGN player, very skilled and entertaining to watch. Some missed shots aside it's almost like a developer demo.

It's good to see IGN assigning a skilled player to showcase new games instead of...you know, ''journalists''. Props to whoever is in charge.
I can't tell If it's sarcasm

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Nevertheless, I've got some questions about the story because the beginning looks a bit disconnected with 2016's ending

If the slayer got sent to an unknown location in the previous game, how did he end up in the fortress of doom? Did he spent the 2 years that separate the two games doing fuck-all while the forces of hell decimated the earth and its population? How did he end up with Vega installed in his suit and a sleeve-less armour showing his biceps?
The Slayer dowloaded a copy of Vega before destroying its central core (in order to open one last portal to Hell and close the Well in Argent D'Nur).
edit: and just now I realize how invested I am in 2016 lore. Not something I expected. Actually, I didn't except Doom 2016 to HAVE lore to begin with. But honestly, that shit is great fun.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
The Slayer dowloaded a copy of Vega before destroying its central core (in order to open one last portal to Hell and close the Well in Argent D'Nur).
Yeah I knew that already, but

"I have many regrets"

didnt Vega require like a MASSIVE nuclear-powered facility in order to cool its core? How did the slayer manage to get it running in his Praetor suit? That was my question

dosh

Oct 25, 2017

"I have many regrets"

didnt Vega require like a MASSIVE nuclear-powered facility in order to cool its core? How did the slayer manage to get it running in his Praetor suit? That was my question
I guess we'll have to attribute that to the magic of the Praetor suit. Didn't this thing get supercharged with Argent energy in the Well long before 2016 events even started, making the Doom guy into the Slayer?

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017

"I have many regrets"

Nanomachines son. Woops, I mean argent energy. I think it's mentioned in several codex entries in 2016 that the Praetor suit/Slayer can absorb plenty of argent energy. You can imagine that this might be enough to power VEGA.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
All these spoiler tags are making me wonder if I should replay DOOM 2016 and actually pay attention to the story.

Well, I guess I already am replaying it, but on nightmare and it's... Pretty absurd. I don't expect to get much further than maybe a couple of hours in.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
I guess we'll have to attribute that to the magic of the Praetor suit. Didn't this thing get supercharged with Argent energy in the Well long before 2016 events even started, making the Doom guy into the Slayer?
Nanomachines son. Woops, I mean argent energy. I think it's mentioned in several codex entries in 2016 that the Praetor suit/Slayer can absorb plenty of argent energy. You can imagine that this might be enough to power VEGA.

Those were my guesses as well. Hope its all clarified properly in the game!

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All these spoiler tags are making me wonder if I should replay DOOM 2016 and actually pay attention to the story.

Well, I guess I already am replaying it, but on nightmare and it's... Pretty absurd. I don't expect to get much further than maybe a couple of hours in.
You should. And read all the codex entries.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Those were my guesses as well. Hope its all clarified properly in the game!
That'd be cool.
And since Hayden is present in some form, I guess we'll know what happened to the Slayer between 2106 and Eternal.

I never got further than the UAC on Nightmare. I'm not bad at the game, but it's way too hard for me.

You could replay the game on Ultra-violence and read all the codex entries. They're pretty fun and actually interesting to go through.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Vega might run from his fortress/ship. It might also be running at a reduced runtime as it doesn't have the entire Mars facility to run on its own.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Huh, it starts with Hell on Earth? Do we go to back to Mars later in the campaign then? I figured we'd start there and loot the facilities for rebuilding VEGA.

Yeah we go back, the first gameplay reveal and E3 2019 gameplay was on Phobos and Mars.

I watched the IGN's video showing the first 10 minutes and my already-high hype skyrocketed even more. Nice skills from the player as well.

Yeah that was a bit off but then maybe they'll incorporate a flashback level? Or maybe the footage was edited to hide an actual prologue aside from the opening we saw, but I doubt it given the weapon drops.

His armor is explained on the Fortress tho. His 2016 gear is there in his den where he's obviously used it to work on and refine a new Praeter set.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That'd be cool.
And since Hayden is present in some form, I guess we'll know what happened to the Slayer between 2106 and Eternal.

I never got further than the UAC on Nightmare. I'm not bad at the game, but it's way too hard for me.

You could replay the game on Ultra-violence and read all the codex entries. They're pretty fun and actually interesting to go through.

nightmare gets significantly easier as you get more tools. the beginning few levels are the hardest.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017

The in-game story is extremely bare bones because they tucked everything away in the codex. You could catch up on lore by opening up an endgame save and just looking through the codex there.

The codex is surprisingly solidly written. Usually game codexes are just flavor text that have inconsistencies because they were obviously written by a few separate people in their spare time, but doom 2016 has a surprising amount of attention to detail there. The lore is internally consistent, and I didn't notice any glaring asspulls in its explanations.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think downloading a copy of VEGA requires that much power, its just running him does. So maybe the Slayer's base in Eternal has some demonic/argent energy directly channeling or powering up VEGA. Since Eternal starts in media res, getting VEGA going will fit into the flashbacks or whatnot

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think downloading a copy of VEGA requires that much power, its just running him does. So maybe the Slayer's base in Eternal has some demonic/argent energy directly channeling or powering up VEGA. Since Eternal starts in media res, getting VEGA going will fit into the flashbacks or whatnot
That makes sense. Vega runs on the Slayer's desktop in the hub and serves as some sort of handler/informer from above, providing updates and support.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it was played in a controlled environment in ideal conditions, but this looks a lot better than it sounded. I like how tactical it seems to be with the delayed respawns, the mid-battle upgrades, the loot blocks and whatnot. My only fear is how it's going to clash with the reality of online gaming: your demon teammate leaving as soon as you lose a round, the lack of a time limit which will bore some players, and so on. I have the feeling you'll have to endure through a lot of toxic or bad matches before you'd get a good one every now and then. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.