• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love this part of it too. It's embracing its identity as a video game first and foremost instead of trying to be a movie or something.

And as such, the game design seems to go towards whatever is most fun. Not whatever is most realistic, sensible, or most poignant. The fun comes first, as it should.
It's the most "gamey" ass game I've seen from a big Western studio in a minute. Bright colors, levels with geometry that makes no real world sense but looks cool, throws in elements of Quake, Celeste, Metroid Prime and shit just because, floating power ups and 1ups, goofy secrets, story pitched at the level of Saturday morning cartoons. Like this gonna fit right in with those speed runs on GDQ.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
One of the few games that feels like an exciting game release these days. A top tier studio game not ashamed to be a game, fun, ridiculous and over the top. No mandatory walking sections, no banter while driving to a new location, no dumb fetch quests. Just pew pew, crazy jumps and scary monsters non stop
Yeah, this. Totally this. I really hope it's a huge success so we can move away from the usual AAA template.

No pointless stealth sections either I hope.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's the most "gamey" ass game I've seen from a big Western studio in a minute. Bright colors, levels with geometry that makes no real world sense but looks cool, throws in elements of Quake, Celeste, Metroid Prime and shit just because, floating power ups and 1ups, goofy secrets, story pitched at the level of Saturday morning cartoons. Like this gonna fit right in with those speed runs on GDQ.
It straight up has airdash refresher pickups. It's amazing.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Like you already know there's gonna be secret challenges where you gotta reach the goal in a certain time limit, Chaining together prince of Persia pole vaults and Celeste air dashes perfectly, and I can't wait.
Normally first person platforming kind of sucks, but I'm glad it's first person in this case because seeing Doomguy fly around like a trapeze artist would look ridiculous lol.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Some new footage here from a Italian youtuber who broke the NDA by including footage from the first mission, Hell on Earth, as well as the DOOM Hunter's base. Someone from the Doom reddit saved and reuploaded it after it was taken down.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know if this was posted but this level of gameplay is amazing, I really cant wait for the game to release ughhhhhh

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Centered plasma rifle just doesn't feel right without having it recoil upward after you stop firing.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Everything we've seen from D:E is just so...pure? It's already been covered by people here but this game just seems so much in the "spirit" of a video game, it's crazy. Right down to the (admittedly) garish UI and the retro-sounding sound effects. Combine that with this blaring soundtrack and it makes my heart race every time I think about it.

I might be in love, yall.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Everything we've seen from D:E is just so...pure? It's already been covered by people here but this game just seems so much in the "spirit" of a video game, it's crazy. Right down to the (admittedly) garish UI and the retro-sounding sound effects. Combine that with this blaring soundtrack and it makes my heart race every time I think about it.

I might be in love, yall.

Hearing Hugo Martin talk about the game makes it super clear that iD knows exactly what they're doing with it, down to acknowledging the faults with the previous game and clearly laying out the specific things they're doing to address them. It's a Saturday morning cartoon, gameplay-focused FPS that wants you to smile the whole time you're playing it, and every aspect of the game is uncompromising to meet that goal. Game could be really special if it makes good on iD's promises.

Nov 3, 2017
hot damn the music/sound effects are just......

o0PW5YI.gif

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
New news, new thread for IGN footage?

Player who recorded that footage is pretty good, shame about ultra low FOV. Game itself keeps looking good.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
New news, new thread for IGN footage?

Player who recorded that footage is pretty good, shame about ultra low FOV. Game itself keeps looking good.
I didn't think they were that good at all.

I was just coming here to post that we need a trailer like this close to release, this is what sold me on DOOM 2016

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I didn't think they were that good at all.

I was just coming here to post that we need a trailer like this close to release, this is what sold me on DOOM 2016

Very low FOV eats away any feel of speed in movement and for literal early with limited toolset ye... player is pretty good with KBM.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
They ain't fucking around with that opening, damn. I must resist the collector edition's call, I must..

also, aren't we going to get some explanation on where Hayden sent the Slayer at the end of 16?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Also the devs werent kidding about the improved textures. Game and textures looks crisp as hell (no pun intended)

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The glory kill animations are unparalleled. They are hilarious and gruesome and the speed is just perfect. That's still something I think we don't praise enough. Prior to DOOM 2016 coming out I and a lot of other older fans were very skeptical of a mechanic that would keep "interrupting" combat with these flashy QTE style attacks, and it turned out they were an incredibly good addition to the combat system. Whoever is designing these thing is the MVP of DOOM.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk; that opening gave me Duke Nukem vibes. Slayer's just out there chilling in his own personal Batcave space fortress and answers a distress call? I didn't think it was going to be so simple after the last game's cliffhanger. Fucking hilarious.

Agree with previous comments about how "game"-like everything about it looks, even with the bigger story emphasis. Love the hell out of this, this can easily end up GOTY material for me.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
The IGN video has an annoying stutter, like it was recorded at 59fps

That texture detail though - whoa. They weren't kidding, massive improvement.

Deleted member 34714

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Thought there would be more from the IGN intro. It was alright. The new shotgun looks and seems to feel way better than the first thats for sure. Also double jump from the get go. No reason to keep that locked.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Using a line of arbitrary floating armor shards to lead the player through a tricky jump is peak video games

and it's glorious

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I'm on blackout in terms of footage but I don't mind hearing impressions.

I hope there's a ton of lore pick ups like Doom 2016. That was one of my favorite things about the game. I like how the story is limited cause Doom Slayer doesn't give a fuck about what's happening but there is a ton of lore around for those who want to take the time to read it.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Footage looks great. I like how difficult Ultra Violence looks. My biggest problem with 2016 was that firefights either ended too quickly or you were looking for one or two stragglers or you died. This looks like they're trying to sustain meaningful engagement by managing your three resources (ammo, health, and armor).

I hope there's a ton of lore pick ups like Doom 2016. That was one of my favorite things about the game. I like how the story is limited cause Doom Slayer doesn't give a fuck about what's happening but there is a ton of lore around for those who want to take the time to read it.
They're trying to pull a magic trick and go much heavier on story this time around while being just as unobtrusive with it as 2016's. And yeah, more codex with the narrative goal this time around being "expand the universe."

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They ain't fucking around with that opening, damn. I must resist the collector edition's call, I must..

also, aren't we going to get some explanation on where Hayden sent the Slayer at the end of 16?
I really want this game on Steam but the vanilla game is MORE EXPENSIVE than the collector's edition with the season pass on Bethesda (Cdkeys.com). Ugh.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States

You'll be happy to know then that there's giant flaming pages you can pick up to fill out the codex :D

giblet

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Awesome. There seems to be plenty of Lore and cutscenes, but with a big "SKIP THIS SHIT" button added.

Calling it now, next Fallout is on this engine, it looks soooo goooood.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. There seems to be plenty of Lore and cutscenes, but with a big "SKIP THIS SHIT" button added.

Calling it now, next Fallout is on this engine, it looks soooo goooood.

One of the things people love about fallout and Skyrim games is how you can interact with everything and have like 100 cheese wheels on your house. The Doom engine is great, but is most likely very unsuited for a Bethesda fallout game.

FPS murderer

Oct 27, 2017
SLC, UT
"Who do they fear? They fear the mark of the beast" (showing the slayer's mark on his helmet) Lol, basically doom guy is DA BEAST, Armageddon, the apocalypse to the demons LOL.