• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
So the U.I looks terrible
is there a default option to switch to 2016 version or mods to the rescue?

I imagine 2016 UI would be lacking a lot indicators for added mechanics and such.

The added emphasis on a story is a legitimate bummer but the action and platforming look sublime.

But Martin has said that Eternal doesn't have that much more emphasis on story than 2016? Just as much out of the way and still there if you want it.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
EO2UYWAWkAAsK8N

EO2UYpjXUAALCZK

Lmao
2 Prey or not 2 Prey is my favorite

Don Slayote

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Preordered this bad boy as soon as as it went up. Probably my most hyped game of the year. I can't wait to hear that Mick Gordon soundtrack.

Eveeything looks and sounds so good!

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
so massive gameplay/level spoiler speculation from a video of exploring the HUB and a bit of deduction :

We are going to use a giant praetor mech suit ala Pacific RIm aren't we ?

There are many suit to unlock in the hub sentinel station, not sure if they are cosmetic only or if they give an ability/skill

But there is a giant praetor armor being powered an in suspension. Too good to not unlock right ?

Also, there are these huge, building tall demons stuck in place, fighting giant sentinels mechs in the previews levels, and in the last trailer :

PyISSYu.jpg

you actually walk on the spear through the demon's chest in the level from the previews.

So that's a nice " abilitease " (ability - tease)

but you'd need giant demons to fight in such a tall suit !

Yeah, we saw these tall demons walking between buildings in the trailers at the end as teasers.

Hell, I'd even go as far as to say that the introduction level of the game will feature such a mech fight as no preview were allowed to record and talk about it.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving all the variety, but I hope they don't lose the plot, so to speak. Stuff like puzzle platforming, or playing as an enemy (and thus not having the depth that I've built up with the Doomslayer) can easily tilt the needle to feeling pretty gimmicky. Like that space mission in Reach - had that been any longer it would have seemed dumb, but thankfully they knew when to shut it down.

Also, have we heard anything at all about the multiplayer?

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have all the references for the first pic as they are inside jokes but the second pile of classic literature being doomified lol
The references in the first image are about FPS games, in order: Daikatana, Duke Nukem, Devil Daggers, Unreal, System Shock 2, Half-Life, Deus Ex, Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny, Rage, Quake 2/4, Doom novels, Dopefish, Doom Bible, Ultimate Doom, Prey, Fallout and Fallout.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
The references in the first image are about FPS games, in order: Daikatana, Duke Nukem, Devil Daggers, Unreal, System Shock 2, Half-Life, Deus Ex, Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny, Rage, Quake 2/4, Doom novels, Dopefish, Doom Bible, Ultimate Doom, Prey, Fallout and Fallout.

thanks, I missed Daikatana, Unreal, SS2, spear of destiny and dopefish. Still no idea what dopefish is, never heard of it. Off to google

giblet

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so massive gameplay/level spoiler speculation from a video of exploring the HUB and a bit of deduction :

We are going to use a giant praetor mech suit ala Pacific RIm aren't we ?

There are many suit to unlock in the hub sentinel station, not sure if they are cosmetic only or if they give an ability/skill

But there is a giant praetor armor being powered an in suspension. Too good to not unlock right ?

Also, there are these huge, building tall demons stuck in place, fighting giant sentinels mechs in the previews levels, and in the last trailer :

PyISSYu.jpg

you actually walk on the spear through the demon's chest in the level from the previews.

So that's a nice " abilitease " (ability - tease)

but you'd need giant demons to fight in such a tall suit !

Yeah, we saw these tall demons walking between buildings in the trailers at the end as teasers.

Hell, I'd even go as far as to say that the introduction level of the game will feature such a mech fight as no preview were allowed to record and talk about it.

You might be on to something as...

Hugo Martin actually designed the Jaegers for Pacific Rim!

Nov 2, 2017
I have high hopes for the story. There's no reason a high octane action game can't have a kick-ass plot.

I know the gameplay will be great. My only real concern is UI/flashing objects and such ruining immersion. D44M was supremely immersive.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This looks like a lot of fun but I'm curious if it will feel like a Doom game. Doom is as much about darkness and traps as it is fast gameplay. This looks like a sequel to Serious Sam with Mental replaced by the Devil. Doom 2016 had a good balance but this looks to take the arcadey and brighter aspects of Doom 2016 and crank them to 11.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
This looks like a lot of fun but I'm curious if it will feel like a Doom game. Doom is as much about darkness and traps as it is fast gameplay. This looks like a sequel to Serious Sam with Mental replaced by the Devil. Doom 2016 had a good balance but this looks to take the arcadey and brighter aspects of Doom 2016 and crank them to 11.
2016 wasn't Doom as we knew it anyway, but it was good. I'd rather have innovation and change rather than the level solving that's largely outdated.

Duke Nukem Forever tried and failed miserably.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
2016 wasn't Doom as we knew it anyway, but it was good. I'd rather have innovation and change rather than the level solving that's largely outdated.

Duke Nukem Forever tried and failed miserably.

I did find myself in many "level solving" bottlenecks in Doom 2016's expansive maps that's very reminiscent of 90s level design.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN

We have gotten small glimpse from 2 to 3 first maps in 20+ hour game.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I have high hopes for the story. There's no reason a high octane action game can't have a kick-ass plot.

I know the gameplay will be great. My only real concern is UI/flashing objects and such ruining immersion. D44M was supremely immersive.

high hopes for the story...in a friggin Doom game?? the story is like the last thing someone would play a Doom game for...

story teaser: doomguy rips and tears from hell to heaven to kick some demons and angels asses

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
high hopes for the story...in a friggin Doom game?? the story is like the last thing someone would play a Doom game for...

story teaser: doomguy rips and tears from hell to heaven to kick some demons and angels asses

The devs confirmed we'll finally know whether Doomslayer is really the Doomguy from the first games, and how Doom 64 and Doom 3 fit in all of this. Based on the stuff in Doom 2016 and what we saw in these previews, it seems like they already answered many things, but this is just the start: the entire Doom universe seems to be explained/connected in some way through this game, between the nods at the rabbit Daisy from Doom 2 all the way to that memorable ending from Doom 64. I fully expect this game to shatter the fourth wall and bring home the point even more that Doomslayer is really like the Doom players: they're in this for the thrill of endlessly murdering demons in the most gruesome way, and saving humanity or the galaxy is literally just a side effect of that. I might be wrong but all signs point to a pretty intense storyline in that sense - intense for a Doom game, anyway.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
I don't want to be an asshole... But I can't see big difference between DOOM 2016 and DOOM Eternal. Its look like this is the updated version of the previous DOOM, excited for it though, but it's something I noticed from a long time.
You say that like it's a bad thing...

Hint: It's not. Also Doom Eternal is the Spinal Tap version of Doom 2016. Everything cranked up to the power of 11

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Love that old school fast-paced FPS is still here, and still waaaay better than the newer kind. Hope 343 takes some heart from that, as one reason I love Halo is its marrying of older and newer trends (Arena shooter+grandiose story+some tactics beyond BLOW EVERYTHING UP, even as that is ace, as Doom proves).

jahasaja

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden

Yeah, I hope they keep the same spirit as the first level of Doom 2016. Listening to that tall robot looking guy in the later levels got old fast. I did not understand why the Doom guy was so restrained during the boring monologues.

As for gameplay, most hyped game of the year. I would even go so far as to say that I need this game to keep me interested in gaming. Might have been unlucky and picked the wrong games last year but for me it was an extremely boring year.

Nov 8, 2017
Regarding the person who said it looked very similar - I actually think Eternal looks very different in a lot of ways. The core combat looks improved and iterated, but that's not what I mean - just looking at the game and it's presentation makes it obvious that it's a lot gamier and has embraced a more classic look for the series, and doubly so on Doomguy's armour suit. Much more colourful, some sillier designs, lots of explicitly gamey elements like boost fuel and 1ups floating in the world, that kind of thing.

I'll have to get my hands on it before I judge which is better, although I actually do like the relatively cohesive aesthetic of Doom 2016 even though it wasn't as colourful as some games. I also never disliked the character's armour, and think the more retro style one isn't as much to my tastes. But I know at the time, a lot of people knocked it as generic master-chiefy spess mahreen stuff.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the person who said it looked very similar - I actually think Eternal looks very different in a lot of ways. The core combat looks improved and iterated, but that's not what I mean - just looking at the game and it's presentation makes it obvious that it's a lot gamier and has embraced a more classic look for the series, and doubly so on Doomguy's armour suit. Much more colourful, some sillier designs, lots of explicitly gamey elements like boost fuel and 1ups floating in the world, that kind of thing.

I'll have to get my hands on it before I judge which is better, although I actually do like the relatively cohesive aesthetic of Doom 2016 even though it wasn't as colourful as some games. I also never disliked the character's armour, and think the more retro style one isn't as much to my tastes. But I know at the time, a lot of people knocked it as generic master-chiefy spess mahreen stuff.

This I agree with. Doom 2016 was relatively monotone in terms of visual presentation - it made for a very coherent design that was grounded enough to feel somewhat plausible, and it gave a cool mixture of old school Doom's techno-mazes and Doom 3's darker approach. Doom Eternal is to Doom 2016 what Doom 2 was to Doom: no longer they have interest in delivering coherent world, dark techno-mazes and whatnot. They want this to be a game, first and foremost. So now you have flying platforms, poles to jump on, dashes through the air so that you collect extra lives... much of the design seems closer to metroidvanias (not just Metroid Prime) than any shooter, including Doom 2016. That is surely not gonna fly well with some players (see the reaction when Diablo 3's reveal had, *gasps*, colours), but I find it fucking awesome.

Because while some Doom 2 levels were dumb as shit (The Chasm), they dared to be stupid and gamey. What was the point of a level like Barrels o' Fun? It made no practical sense, but it was hilarious. What sort of architectural logic did The Crusher follow? None, they just wanted to do something surprising. What logic does Gotcha! have? It has none, they just thought that having a Cyberdemon and a Spider Mastermind duke it out was a fun novelty. And it was. It all was stupid and that's why it worked. Doom Eternal embraces the absurd side of Doom and creates a game around it. By now the lore of the game itself is that the protagonist adores destroying demons, and the level designs' only point is to allow you to land acrobatic kills and find absurd secrets.

Doom shall never be a simulation. E1 of the first Doom flirted with the idea of a somewhat slow and tense horror game, but as their ideas flourished and the gamers became better, it became obvious that taking down a couple imps and pinkies in hallways wasn't just gonna cut out anymore. Insanity ensued, and while I think E1 of Doom is a masterpiece, there's some totally genius levels later on that would have never been possible had id (and the companies who worked on the extra campaigns) not embraced Doom for what it really is: a videogame.

Einhandr

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone think they'll try to tie the doom story and universe together with Quake (or are they already related an im just dumb)?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The devs confirmed we'll finally know whether Doomslayer is really the Doomguy from the first games, and how Doom 64 and Doom 3 fit in all of this. Based on the stuff in Doom 2016 and what we saw in these previews, it seems like they already answered many things, but this is just the start: the entire Doom universe seems to be explained/connected in some way through this game, between the nods at the rabbit Daisy from Doom 2 all the way to that memorable ending from Doom 64. I fully expect this game to shatter the fourth wall and bring home the point even more that Doomslayer is really like the Doom players: they're in this for the thrill of endlessly murdering demons in the most gruesome way, and saving humanity or the galaxy is literally just a side effect of that. I might be wrong but all signs point to a pretty intense storyline in that sense - intense for a Doom game, anyway.

ah ok, didn´t knew about this. well, could be interesting for people wanting a bit more elaborate story. i just want to rip and tear if i am honest :-)

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
With the pace and powerups, I'm hoping the multiplayer for Doom Eternal is basically just Unreal Tournament 3 with a demon skin.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Does anyone think they'll try to tie the doom story and universe together with Quake (or are they already related an im just dumb)?

They could pretty easily do it as Doom Guy and Quake Guy both travel between dimensions all the time.

Maybe bit harder with Quake 2 and 4 storyline with Strogg as it's more... "grounded" without dimensional travel.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would be pretty wild if one of later enemy types we encounter Eternal is Strogg.

Would lose my shit if that were the case tbh. Not sure if anybody here played the kinda janky shooter Bedlam: that was basically a trip through various generations of shooters, from the 80's arcade shmups to the early big polygon Quake stuff, passing by the console-esque Halo clones, Medal Of Honor/Call Of Duty and so on. While I don't think Eternal will attempt to clone the visuals of those old games (well, Doom 2016 did have entire classic levels, so there's that), it would be awesome if they somehow not only connected all Doom games but also their other shooters like Wolfenstein, Rage and Quake. Fuck it, go parallel universes on our asses and at make Quakeguy from Quake 1 be the same person but in a different universe in which a different invasion happened. This probably will not happen but it would be amazing.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love stuff like this... As an ex world and asset builder, I find the world lore to be some of the most enjoyable parts of a game. Bethesda is one of the few studios that has a position specifically for World Story Tellers. You can see this as examples in Skyrim or Fallout when you come upon a skeleton that you can kinda gather a story from just by looking at the surrounding environment.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love stuff like this... As an ex world and asset builder, I find the world lore to be some of the most enjoyable parts of a game. Bethesda is one of the few studios that has a position specifically for World Story Tellers. You can see this as examples in Skyrim or Fallout when you come upon a skeleton that you can kinda gather a story from just by looking at the surrounding environment.

Such an underrated role indeed. So many games create generic environments that tell nothing (see Rage 2, to stay with Bethesda), and then logs and audio files try to build something interesting to fill the holes. But it's not a later explanation that should make me interested in something, the visual building should already tell me something, giving me a reason to care for the true story around what's happening. The Division is another excellent example: entering buildings, seeing these holograms, looking at the ruckus left by the struggles, the blood stains, the open fridge... you get a bit of an idea long before you learn the full story of what happened there. Doom Eternal seems to be doing this a lot in the game with these kaiju-esque statues, these books, a lot of geometries and callbacks to earlier id games. Can't wait.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been following this too close, but what have they replaced the awesome Snapmap with? Me and my buddies played it for hours and hours after finishing the main campaign. Whats the new co-op hotness in this one?

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Debating on getting the DOOM collection to catch up but unsure of which platform to get it on.

Does doom 2016 run best on Xbox One or Playstation 4, by chance?

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
This I agree with. Doom 2016 was relatively monotone in terms of visual presentation - it made for a very coherent design that was grounded enough to feel somewhat plausible, and it gave a cool mixture of old school Doom's techno-mazes and Doom 3's darker approach. Doom Eternal is to Doom 2016 what Doom 2 was to Doom: no longer they have interest in delivering coherent world, dark techno-mazes and whatnot. They want this to be a game, first and foremost. So now you have flying platforms, poles to jump on, dashes through the air so that you collect extra lives... much of the design seems closer to metroidvanias (not just Metroid Prime) than any shooter, including Doom 2016. That is surely not gonna fly well with some players (see the reaction when Diablo 3's reveal had, *gasps*, colours), but I find it fucking awesome.

Because while some Doom 2 levels were dumb as shit (The Chasm), they dared to be stupid and gamey. What was the point of a level like Barrels o' Fun? It made no practical sense, but it was hilarious. What sort of architectural logic did The Crusher follow? None, they just wanted to do something surprising. What logic does Gotcha! have? It has none, they just thought that having a Cyberdemon and a Spider Mastermind duke it out was a fun novelty. And it was. It all was stupid and that's why it worked. Doom Eternal embraces the absurd side of Doom and creates a game around it. By now the lore of the game itself is that the protagonist adores destroying demons, and the level designs' only point is to allow you to land acrobatic kills and find absurd secrets.

Doom shall never be a simulation. E1 of the first Doom flirted with the idea of a somewhat slow and tense horror game, but as their ideas flourished and the gamers became better, it became obvious that taking down a couple imps and pinkies in hallways wasn't just gonna cut out anymore. Insanity ensued, and while I think E1 of Doom is a masterpiece, there's some totally genius levels later on that would have never been possible had id (and the companies who worked on the extra campaigns) not embraced Doom for what it really is: a videogame.

Preach. That's why Doom is my jam. Gonna fire up II tonight, I think. VIDYA GUNZ IN MA VIDYA GAMEZ.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the few games that feels like an exciting game release these days. A top tier studio game not ashamed to be a game, fun, ridiculous and over the top. No mandatory walking sections, no banter while driving to a new location, no dumb fetch quests. Just pew pew, crazy jumps and scary monsters non stop

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
One of the few games that feels like an exciting game release these days. A top tier studio game not ashamed to be a game, fun, ridiculous and over the top. No mandatory walking sections, no banter while driving to a new location, no dumb fetch quests. Just pew pew, crazy jumps and scary monsters non stop
I love this part of it too. It's embracing its identity as a video game first and foremost instead of trying to be a movie or something.

And as such, the game design seems to go towards whatever is most fun. Not whatever is most realistic, sensible, or most poignant. The fun comes first, as it should.