• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
I'm definitely going to play some sans hud and the glory kill highlights. I'll probably turn the highlights off from the start. The animations are so good l simply don't need them.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I was quite disappointed with Doom (2016). I don't know if I may have simply been in the wrong mood for it at the time, but it was like the video game equivalent of heavy metal. Monotonous, relentless, repetitive and basically all shoot shoot bang bang with little else.

I also found the level design slightly cumbersome to explore, and not particularly rewarding or visually interesting.

Hopefully this new one is more enjoyable and diverse, which it may be given it's got climbing, swinging etc now too, which could help to mix things up.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I think gameplay-wise it looks fantastic and I'm actively excited to play it but I have a really hard time with the aesthetics. The HUD specifically is so mindbogglingly ugly, it's actually impressive.

Edit: Damage models look really good and satisfying in this one, something I've always wanted to see more of in FPS.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Game of the year confirmed. Better luck next year, all of you other games.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks absolutely incredible. Love how vibrant the colours are. This is gonna be wild.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Best sentence...

zGg00S0.png

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Look.......343i.....an fps that doesn't have sprint just a really fast base movement speed. Gimme gimme.
Honestly I've been complaining about unlimited sprint in games for sooooo long. It's the dumbest mechanic.... hold down a button to run faster at no cost other than real life joint strain. It's so mindlessly integrated into games now and I have no clue why. Wish more titles would just pick a movement speed that is appropriate to their design goals and stick with it. Doom 2016's no sprint / no reload was so refreshing.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
God fucking damn. And yeah, the colors are fucking crazy.

Also something I didn't know, Steam refunds will actually let you refund a pre-order, no matter when you bought it, up until release and then the 14 day/2 hours of play deadline starts. Didn't know that and that's sweet.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how the season pass unlocks work since the game (as far as we know) only has a finite amount of levels to play. At least in single player. It would make more sense if the game had some sort of random mission generator that creates new missions for you.
Or maybe you just unlock most of it by playing multiplayer.

As a fan of completely offline games I'm a little disappointed by it having a season pass, as that most likely means that content can't be earned offline.
I'd guess that the only content you can earn is only relevant for multiplayer anyway? That's the way most single/multiplayer games do it. CoD, BF 5...maybe Battlefront 2, Gears 5 etc all season pass and unclockable is MP only.

Haven't watched videos yet - is there a co-op/horde mode!? this game (if they had time/budget) could produce an amazing horde mode IMHO.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
I can't wait to play more. If anyone speaks Dutch and is interested, I made a separate interview with Marty Stratton for IGN Benelux (and a preview ofc).

I'm hoping this turns out just as well as I expect from the preview sessions.
Thank, I'm in the train from Tilburg to Enschede and now I can kill some time.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Can you do a little summary of these refinements?
Thanks.

There is any preview where the players just fight with weapons without using melee fatality? I want to see the improvement on dead animation, ragdoll, etc. (Also I'm just not a fan of melee finishers in a fast paced shooter)

A lot of the creatures movesets were polished up to be more defined. Hugo mentions that several of the existing creatures, on Doom 2016, could be dispatched by a well placed shot (or combo) of almost anything. This type of design brought the stellar gunplay to the forefront, but when done over and over like this can diminish the fun in the long haul.

The example he gives is the Mancubus.
In 2016 you could run up to him, give him the barrels of the super shottie to the chest and just run off to chase the next enemie.
This time around, if you run up to him he does an AOE attack that knocks you back, preventing you from dispatching him that way.
You will learn that a well placed grenade can stun him, and then you get the opening to take him out.

With this philosophy in mind, in Eternal, all the encounters have more depth and they teach you how to use a more extensive toolset to keep the pace and engagement always at a high level, without the grind of recurring to the same gameplan 80% of the time.

When you add that philosophy to the whole new toolkit of the Doom Marine, he hopes this time around that they have built a Doom specifically to be mastered.
You will have fun all the way there, but when you get your black belt in demon slaying, you will have even more fun instead of being bored.

Last edited:

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Day one purchase. Gotta get in a Doom 2016 session before release, that way I will be ready.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Word got out about these previews ahead of time, and then all the delays happened. That's the narrative I'm sticking to.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
So we have

-Classic Armor
-Ability to install DOOM I and 2 seemingly in-game
-Doom guy is flying a giant fucking metal castle
-Doom guy play guitar

Yeah this is great.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this rate the only thing about this game that's disappointing me is the lack of Animal Crossing DLC / DLC of it in Animal Crossing to have fun with coming out the same day.