• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Is it already known if horde mode can be played from a fresh save? I haven't replayed the game on ps5 yet, but if I need to to unlock horde mode on Tuesday I'll do that this weekend
I think it can, in the twitch stream they said if players did not play the DLCs they will get help popups how to deafeat the new enemies

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Death Stranding and Returnal both got their latest patch out already, come on Id Software I want to play Horde !

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I can't handle most of these non-fodder enemies with just the standard shotgun, damn. I don't see myself playing this for long.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
I can't handle most of these non-fodder enemies with just the standard shotgun, damn. I don't see myself playing this for long.
Glad I played a lot of classic mode to prep lol. Nice thing though is you get all mods right off the bat for each gun in classic mode you had to find the mods...

Also fyi they buffed the auto shotty mod so definitely will make it more tolerable to only have 1 gun for part of it.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I've been testing the Horde on Nightmare, and I love it!

I fear regarding the replayability of this mode as it's a set of mission in a fixed order, I was hoping for something similar to Firefight from Halo, where you have a single Arena and you fight countless of waves, with each one having increased difficulty and maybe some random modifier, but I'm not going to say it's bad, as I just finished the first mission and I loved it!

Maybe the waves were a bit short to me, I'll have to finish the whole Horde to give a final opinion regarding the difficulty, but it's well balanced so far.

Also, they added 2 Master Levels? Didn't know it was the plan, can't wait to play them, Gore Nest kicked my ass last time.

Use the Grenade Launcher option and stay at distance if you have some issue with the big Demons. Use the Rune which slow time when you're aiming and target the weak points.

I thought it was quite easy to handle them on Nightmare even with close combat, but that's how I would do it if I have having some hard times with them. Hope it'll help as I think Horde is definitely something to play.

Cutty

Oct 31, 2017
I can't get over how wrong I was about Eternal.

The game-y presentation of it (Fortress of Doom, floating and colourful pick-ups, Unicorn skin) compared to Doom 2016 initially put me off of it from afar. I don't really know why, maybe because I was a fan of Doom 3's survival horror, serious setting, and Doom 2016's balance of sci-fi/demonic tropes that was still serious enough beyond the sillier lore entries.

But I finished 2016 finally, and then jumped into Eternal, and judging by this newest update, right at the right time.

Wow, what a game. I love the lore, the flow of the levels, the multi-tasking with each weapon and enemy type, the new things thrown at you every few minutes. The Fortress of Doom is actually so so dope, and when I saw the Classic Doom Marine skin behind an unlockable window, I was so happy. And the writing is a lot more compelling, if a little on the space mythological hero side of things, than I expected. Much more interesting than Doom 2016, at least moment-to-moment.

Playing on PS5, I also can't not play on the 120fps mode. It's seriously wicked. I tried going back to the 'Balanced' setting, and while the increased detail was great, yeah it all felt so slow compared to 120fps.

Up to level 6 now (Phobos?) and having a blast. Definitely gonna go into Battlemode and get the DLC.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, what a game. I love the lore, the flow of the levels, the multi-tasking with each weapon and enemy type, the new things thrown at you every few minutes. The Fortress of Doom is actually so so dope, and when I saw the Classic Doom Marine skin behind an unlockable window, I was so happy. And the writing is a lot more compelling, if a little on the space mythological hero side of things, than I expected. Much more interesting than Doom 2016, at least moment-to-moment.

die-hard-bruce-willis.gif

They're both different games, and that's for the best as they both have different strengths.

I love Eternal Art Direction, both artistically and because it serves the gameplay. As your mind is into this ressource micro-management, you need to get informations about the environment within a milli-second, and having this gamify world truly helps.

I think ID found a perfect balance between the gameplay needs and the DOOM fantasy. While it's goofier and less serious than DOOM 2016 (which I loved the horror style as well), I think for both game they made what best served the players, truly a wonderful work from ID.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
die-hard-bruce-willis.gif

They're both different games, and that's for the best as they both have different strengths.

I love Eternal Art Direction, both artistically and because it serves the gameplay. As your mind is into this ressource micro-management, you need to get informations about the environment within a milli-second, and having this gamify world truly helps.

I think ID found a perfect balance between the gameplay needs and the DOOM fantasy. While it's goofier and less serious than DOOM 2016 (which I loved the horror style as well), I think for both game they made what best served the players, truly a wonderful work from ID.
I love how Eternal returned some enemies more towards their classic looks as well. Also the levels are gorgeous and the variety is kind of insane. You compare this to DMC5 where towards the end levels all looked samey and bland. Also just the amount of unlockable skins, free content, etc without microtransactions is amazing. I think in the end trying to evolve new Doom with Eternal was the right choice though I can understand why some people might not like it. It's nice to get a sequel where developers went back to drawing board and tried to improve/reimagine elements for basically a brand new experience. Looking back I don't think we will ever get a game like this again for a long time...

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
So I just finished the entirety of the Horde Mode, the very last wave is no joke at all, they are throwing at you everything they got in this game, on a not-so-large arena, on Nightmare, it's literally, well, a nightmare haha.

Damn this Horde mode is fun, and I'll probably launch it again very soon to beat up my score, which is 232 000 points.

I don't know how it's possible to achieve the 350 000 points I've seen on the ladder, as I did every bonus, every arenas, scored Gold bonus each time, never used the BFG, and still, I only made it to the very end of Silver.

Not gonna lie, I ended up with only 1 life and really thought I wouldn't made it, you've like 3 Archvilles summoning demons you have to stop of course, 3 Baron of Hell, 6 Arachnodemons, Minions everywhere, 4 Pinkys, 2 Marauders, 2 Dread Knights, 4 Moncubus, the list goes on, honestly, I think it's the most difficult encounter the game could possibly make happen.

And when you finish it, oh my god you feel incredible haha.

Hope everyone is enjoying the new content as much as I do. Again, thank you ID for this incredible update and all the things you have done for DOOM Eternal. 🙏

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Tech thing: I've just started trying to mess with HDR in this game. My new TV is a TCL 6-series R646.

When I set the game to run in HDR mode it says my monitor doesn't support HDR, but when I run the game in borderless fullscreen the TV says it's in HDR and the image does look brighter.

???

Oct 29, 2017
Horde mode is amazing. Just beat it on Nightmare on my second run. But must admit that I'm a little disappointed that the arenas/enemy spawns are not randomized. Like, even if they weren't COMPLETELY random, it would have been nice if there was a set of possible arenas that would be linked together with various possible tuned enemy spawns. The randomized weapon drops add some flavor to a run for sure, though. I just hope there is some update at some point that adds more variety.

It is a VERY fun and challenging time though, and I will continue to play it to try to beat my scores. I suppose due to the score nature of it, they wanted it to be "fair" without too much randomness?

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God I hope they patch this nvidia driver issue soon. DLSS now causes to fps to tank to 14, and even with it off the game crashes about every 10-15 mins.

I have tried to roll back drivers in the past and it's a nightmare process so I'm not going to fuck with it. Hope they fix it before I lose wanting to play it energy. Game may be my GOTY this year of everything I played. So satisfying.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
God I hope they patch this nvidia driver issue soon. DLSS now causes to fps to tank to 14, and even with it off the game crashes about every 10-15 mins.
DLSS is broken anyway, as soon as you start moving the camera game turns into a ghostly, jaggy mess, when TAA is fine. Dunno if the latest update broke it or if it was always like that.

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
Sorry for the bump, I own Doom Eternal on PS4 disk and have gone through the process of downloading the PS5 Upgrade and all that jazz. The problem is, the PS5 version (with the PS4 disk in the console) has decided that I don't own the campaigns and takes me to a "learn more" page that doesn't give me any information on what the hell is wrong. Googling leads to various Reddit threads that don't seem to be much help, with some mentioned the region of the disk being the problem, but I'm in the UK and my disk is region 2 so afaik that's all good.

Edit: I fixed it somehow (not sure what it was that took). I started by restoring licences, but when I loaded the game after that I was still locked out, so I closed the game, and went through the 3 dots for the PS4 version, and one of those listed a small unlock download for the Eternal campaign. Then, when I loaded the PS5 version I was able to button through the Ancients Ones and grab their unlock downloads via the game. Hope this helps someone else at some point.

Last edited:

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Just bought my first Doom game outside of the OG literally ever 😅. Trailers and reviews really got me. Can't wait to play it… if it ever wants to finish downloading on my PS5….

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say that this is the greatest FPS I've ever played. Doing another nightmare playthrough on the PS5 and having a great time with it. Don't know if I'll ever beat the Taras Nabad master level though. It's the only one I haven't completed.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Finally diving into The Ancient Gods Pt. 1, and I'm really loving it. It's really challenging (playing just on Ultra Violence), but it's been really really fun. I'm loving the soundtrack too. It's clearly not Mick Gordon, but it's its own thing in a perfect way.

I just went through the part where you gotta follow a Dog to stay safe from poison, some encounters after that