• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Has anyone had an issue in Taras Nabad where a combat encounter just doesn't spawn? I really dont' feel like starting the mission all over after completing the slayer gate and secret encounters. It seems the bug has been reported to Bethesda but it really sucks that I can't progress. I'm thinking of just using Cheat Engine to enable console and noclip myself through a gate that is blocking my way. Reloading checkpoint does not work.

I got to say the levels are such a mixed bag. Taras Nabad is just plain shit in its encounters and so uninteresting as a level. How they went to this from the epic sprawling levels that preceded it I really don't know.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
I played for 90 minutes and i am not sure if i should continue or ask for a refund.
I played Doom 16 (I really enjoyed that one) on normal but i needed to change Eternal to very easy cause i kept dying due to no ammo.
Being forced to keep chainsawing ennemies for ammo sucks.
The UI is also very cluttered (wth is it so colorful?) and there is so much stuff going on that most of the time i dont see ennemies popping up until they are right next to me.
And all the mechanics and upgrades thrown at you is really confusing.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone had an issue in Taras Nabad where a combat encounter just doesn't spawn? I really dont' feel like starting the mission all over after completing the slayer gate and secret encounters. It seems the bug has been reported to Bethesda but it really sucks that I can't progress. I'm thinking of just using Cheat Engine to enable console and noclip myself through a gate that is blocking my way. Reloading checkpoint does not work.

I got to say the levels are such a mixed bag. Taras Nabad is just plain shit in its encounters and so uninteresting as a level. How they went to this from the epic sprawling levels that preceded it I really don't know.
Sometimes level triggers don't work and basically screw you out of completing the level. It sucks. There's one in Arc Complex where two imps are supposed to break through a window but sometimes it doesn't happen.

I played for 90 minutes and i am not sure if i should continue or ask for a refund.
I played Doom 16 (I really enjoyed that one) on normal but i needed to change Eternal to very easy cause i kept dying due to no ammo.
The UI is also very cluttered (wth is it so colorful?) and there is so much stuff going on that most of the time i dont see ennemies popping up until they are right next to me.
I'd say try to get through a little further to see if it comes together. The first few hours of the game are easily the least enjoyable because as you said, the number of mechanics thrown at you is overwhelming, and when combined with how few guns you have at that point, it feels pretty restrictive. I didn't have much fun in the first few levels either, but the game started to feel better and better as I got further. I'd say it started to get more fun starting at around level 3 or 4.

The ammo problem diminishes greatly as you get more guns. The game really encourages you to weapon swap a lot, and it's clunkiest in early game when you only have like three guns to work with.

Mechanically, the game does come together better as you get more used to it. Try not to feel pressured to use all of your equipment stuff because you don't *have* to use all of it to clear the game. I kept forgetting to use a couple of the tools, and only really used the ice bomb a lot.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Sometimes level triggers don't work and basically screw you out of completing the level. It sucks. There's one in Arc Complex where two imps are supposed to break through a window but sometimes it doesn't happen.

Mechanically, the game does come together better as you get more used to it. Try not to feel pressured to use all of your equipment stuff because you don't *have* to use all of it to clear the game. I kept forgetting to use a couple of the tools, and only really used the ice bomb a lot.

Yeah. I did not want to reset the mission and have to do all the secret encounters and slayer gate in that level again so instead I fired up Cheat Engine, unlocked console commands and just noclipped through the barrier I was stuck on. I had to go a little bit further for the next checkpoint to trigger and then could finish the level just fine. This was probably one of the worst levels in the game for me. Linear and really annoying encounters with way too many Marauder fights. I hate that enemy.

I have had similar issues where I have just completely forgot I had grenades and it took a while to get used to chainsawing trash mobs for ammo. I wish the game was a bit more generous with the ammo counts because even at the highest amount it's easy to just run out quickly.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I did not want to reset the mission and have to do all the secret encounters and slayer gate in that level again so instead I fired up Cheat Engine, unlocked console commands and just noclipped through the barrier I was stuck on. I had to go a little bit further for the next checkpoint to trigger and then could finish the level just fine. This was probably one of the worst levels in the game for me. Linear and really annoying encounters with way too many Marauder fights. I hate that enemy.

I have had similar issues where I have just completely forgot I had grenades and it took a while to get used to chainsawing trash mobs for ammo. I wish the game was a bit more generous with the ammo counts because even at the highest amount it's easy to just run out quickly.
You're not alone. A lot of people seem to say that Taras Nabad is their least liked level.

Gparan

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
So I am at what I think is the second to last boss and I'm pretty sure I hate this damn game. For every thing I like about the game the game throws one thing that drives me crazy.

1: The first 3 or so levels are not balances right to me, they feel much harder and in turn much more frustrating then the later levels.
2: Slayer gates and challenge fights start crazy hard and becomes much easier ( I do think Slayer gate 2 or 3 is the hardest but you get my point)
3: The platforming is awful. What the hell where they thinking with it. I died more on them then on the rest of the game by far,
4 : The second to last boss is awful and I still haven't finished it.
5: Why does extra lives get used up and don't come back when the game throws me back to the last checkpoint? It's not like the game becomes easier when I die 5 times in a row on a boss. At least let me get a choice if I want to use up my extra lives instead of starting the fight over at the check point.
6: The story so far is a joke compared to 2016. I loved the lore and story in 2016 and this feels like a completely different universe and doesn't work for me.
7: Maruder ruins every fight it appears in after the first time you fight him. While I don't think he is the most annoying new enemy I still hate him.
8: Some of the new enemies are super annoying to fight like the Whiplash and the Carcass.

Playing eternal is fun but it feels like the game tries it hardest to ruin my good time. Hopefully I will change my mind when I force my self to finish it.

LifeLike

Oct 31, 2017
i was playing for the whole evening yesterday (PS4 Pro) and the game kept crashing after Empyrean Key challenge. At some point it crashed then my game was back to the last time I played the game in April. Lost all progress. Did anyone encountered this issue and is there any way to solve this?

jambo

Oct 25, 2017

I had the exact same reaction when I first played. I almost gave up after 2 hours, but I stuck with it and once I got in the swing of things it all clicked and then I was loving it.

Now I can't imagine going back. When I did my second playthrough I blasted through the initial areas without any issues.

Stick with it!

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
I just played first two levels and to me Eternal is almost like as if Platinum Games developed a first person shooter, with Metroid Prime inspired levels and platforming. This is great in my book, even though the first two levels were quite frustrating. The game seems to be more balanced for having the entire arsenal and upgrades at your disposal, just like in Plat games.

Two real issues apart from the ammo situation I have is the 1up lives and dodging - restarting checkpoints makes you start with zero making fights even harder and making the search for these kind of pointless. The other is that dodging should have invincibility frames and it tends to get stuck in the smallest of terrain crevices which is super annoying when you get stuck in the enemy you haven't seen or you bump into a rock or other smaller parts of environment. Imagine if well timed dodging triggered a "witch time" like it did in Bayonetta.

But when it's smooth, god is it smooth. I can't wait to finish it and see more skilled players' combo videos. It is so delicious, "gamey" and campy. Could do with less story elements but it is also a nice breather.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Question: I was thinking of getting Doom 64 on XB1 since it's currently on sale (while the PS4 version, for some reason, isn't).

Does owning Doom 64 get you any bonuses unlocked on Doom Eternal? If so, do you have to own both games on the same console (I have Eternal on PS4)?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Question: I was thinking of getting Doom 64 on XB1 since it's currently on sale (while the PS4 version, for some reason, isn't).

Does owning Doom 64 get you any bonuses unlocked on Doom Eternal? If so, do you have to own both games on the same console (I have Eternal on PS4)?
You get a skin and and Icon.
But I think it's tied to the bethesda slayer account so it might work with different platforms.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I only check this thread in hopes of a MP addition. How is invasion still not a thing?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I only check this thread in hopes of a MP addition. How is invasion still not a thing?
I just saw in a video today that apparently they said at quakecon it has been postponed to next year.
the fact that they also removed the information which player was killed by the empowered demons I assume they are struggling quite a lot with the implementation of multiplayer elements into the single player campaign.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
btw. I just played this again today after a break of a few months and I am more certain than ever that this is the best FPS ever made

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw in a video today that apparently they said at quakecon it has been postponed to next year.
the fact that they also removed the information which player was killed by the empowered demons I assume they are struggling quite a lot with the implementation of multiplayer elements into the single player campaign.

Damn that's unfortunate. Thanks for the update.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting closer to the end of Doom 2016 on Ultra Violence so when I finish that I can then try Doom Eternal...and I plan to play that on Ultra Violence.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. I don't know, the gameplay didn't feel as rewarding as it did in Doom 2016. The story explained too much and the tone was all over the place. I left Doom 2016 feeling like it was one of the best FPSs I'd ever played. Beating Eternal I'm glad I loaned it from a library and didn't spend money on it. Still interested enough to play the last of the trilogy, if it does happen.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's been so long since I've last played this that once the DLC rolls around I'll be absolute shit again lol.
Yeah, definitely. I played this maybe once or twice a week, and always felt a bit lost for a few fights every time I played.

Can't wait to fumble the shit out of all my hotkeys again when the DLC comes out.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
guys, just started playing this yesterday on Xbox one X. man, this game is FAST PACED!!!

Anyway, I played for almost 2 hours, no issues at all, until one point, where all of the sudden, the sound started to stutter, and the X box X just shut down. I got the "overheating" message. Anybody has had that before with this particular game?

Thanks

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
There's a new horde mode mod that just came out a few days ago, and from streams it looks completely insane. It looks like slayer gates one after another, and then quickly gets way harder than any slayer gate.

The better players are really showing what kind of bullshit you can pull with the game's systems when you have ridiculous amounts of enemies to deal with.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a new horde mode mod that just came out a few days ago, and from streams it looks completely insane. It looks like slayer gates one after another, and then quickly gets way harder than any slayer gate.

The better players are really showing what kind of bullshit you can pull with the game's systems when you have ridiculous amounts of enemies to deal with.
.... why was this not considered for the official release, because now I immediately want one. 😆

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
hi, sorry for the offtopic

he first doom(2016) is 6 bucks in the ps store and i get tempted but i never played any of those games
is this game(doom 2016) a reboot or the original or is a sequel?
i'm gonna miss something or i be okay with the story?

sorry to ask here but there isnt a OT for the first game

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
is this game(doom 2016) a reboot or the original or is a sequel?

It's a spiritual reboot which continue the story of the old games. Basically, you won't miss anything if you didn't play the old games, but DOOM 2016 and Eternal make a lot of connection to the lore and story of the old games to create one continuity.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm revisiting this after letting aside for a few months. Almost done, best FPS I have ever played I feel.

however (and I acknowledge I'm only playing hurt me plenty): why is everyone complaining about marauder? I must have missed something, but compared to doomhunter and especially motherfucking archvile he is a joke. Of you don't kill archvile within moments of it appearing it feels utterly impossible to finish the stage

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I'm revisiting this after letting aside for a few months. Almost done, best FPS I have ever played I feel.

however (and I acknowledge I'm only playing hurt me plenty): why is everyone complaining about marauder? I must have missed something, but compared to doomhunter and especially motherfucking archvile he is a joke. Of you don't kill archvile within moments of it appearing it feels utterly impossible to finish the stage

With the Arch-Vile, I always made sure to have some Crucible or BFG ammo on hand to take him down.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So, while I'm waiting for Bethesda to get back to me on my support ticket, I was gonna see if any of you have had this same problem I'm having. Game worked fine at launch, did a few playthroughs, no issue. But now over the past couple of months it's started this horrible performance degradation after only a couple of minutes of playing. All of my other games play just fine, it's only Doom Eternal

(Also, ignore the shitty gameplay..I was just trying to get the issue to appear)

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
How many Master levels are currently in the game? I came back to the game, loaded my finished campaign save and see only two available, I could have sworn there were more thatn that previously.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Three maps eh? I thought Hugo Martin was quoted earlier this week as saying it was going to be quite long. 😆

Regardless, I'm so excited to play tonight!

f0d.gif

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Gotta say, the dlc is giving me some of the most and least fun moments of the entire game so far. Absolutely love some of the fights they've thrown in and some of the creative ways they've used enemy combinations. Absolutely loved the double marauder fight near the beginning and the tyrant in the tiny hallway.... but holy crap do I hate some of the new mechanics. The slow spores in the blood swamps and the spirit enemies have just made the game feel tedious and way less fun than the portions that lack those. The blood maykr enemies and turrets make combat feel way more slow and drawn out. It's little things, but it's been adding up as the game goes on. Fights that are just frustrating rather than fun to work out.

Also been finding myself getting stuck/caught on the environment way more often than in the main game. Which gets infuriating when its combined with stage hazards or buffed enemies of any kind.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
DLC had some real highs and lows. I LOVED everything in the first mission, but had some very frustrating moments in the second and third missions. Story was meh, and called the ending. There's not a lot of fun to be had when they challenge players by breaking their own rules.

Also, the lack of Mick Gordon was very noticeable. Incredibly boring OST.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Been replaying on Nightmare, and wow getting the Ballista instantly makes the game way easier lol

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I've absolutely had a complete blast with the DLC, swearing included. Holy hell some the swamps on Ultra Violence is giving me the ol' fuck you.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
95410ca86a25c6a71100bceb91afb88b_w200.gif

So I finally updated my computer after aeons and had to re-apply settings, an lo and behold, I discovered something called render mode settings? How come I had to discover it this way? It's basically a way to "filter" the graphics and it's fucking GLORIOUS!!! HOW DOES ONE GAME KEEP GETTING BETTER?

n8efp4f833751.jpg

Here's an official video with demonstrations of each mode activated:

So incredible! The support they've given this game has been great, we just want/need more! 😭 I dream of more master levels...

Also, finally got past the fucking gonzo second level of the DLC, incredible design and combat encounters but a real fucking experience on UV.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Is it worth me playing the original or just jumping straight into this one? For some reason I thought the original was on GamePass and was waiting to play them both on the Series X. When I checked it appears it's only Eternal that's on GP at the moment.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Update, New Master Level - Super Gore Nest

SGN_MasterLvl.ESRB.gif

One of my favorite levels, given the Master Level treatment! 🤩 Finally, another Master Level! Please oh please let more be released over time, it's so obvious and extremely fun.

Is it worth me playing the original or just jumping straight into this one?
Hard to say. I loved the first one, but then Eternal is so fast and plentfiul that I can't really go back to 2016.

With gamepass, should I just play it, or pickup the deluxe on sale with the expansion?
The expansion contains some of the best content in the game, so I'd have to vote for its inclusion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the super gore nest master level
If you thought the first DLC was bullshit you are not ready for this

I actually quit because my nerves couldn't take it anymore when I reached the radioactive portion of the level. That's what, 1/3 of the level?
That arena was total bullshit. Fucking gargoyles are not manageable.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I tried the super gore nest master level
If you thought the first DLC was bullshit you are not ready for this

I actually quit because my nerves couldn't take it anymore when I reached the radioactive portion of the level. That's what, 1/3 of the level?
That arena was total bullshit. Fucking gargoyles are not manageable.
I watched DraQu play it on stream just now, and was just laughing my ass off at how bullshit the level was. It's hard to tell if the designers are trying to make something hard or if they're just deliberately trying to give players the biggest middle finger they can manage now. It's pretty close to I Wanna Be The Guy-style asshole design now.

It's like the devs were joking around about how much dumb shit they could cram into this level, and then actually did it. Especially the escape sequence.
Archvile on a platform you can't stand on.
Double marauders... in green goo?
Tyrant on a narrow bridge in the area immediately after

Then the escape sequence. A marauder, a tyrant, and piles of smaller enemies body blocking you at some points. Oh, and one part of it is underwater now, just fucking because.

I'm probably going to pass on playing it myself.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
update: did the super gore nest master level on classic/hurt me plenty
I could maybe have done ultra violence, but classic is even more absurd, you have absolute garbage weapons for the first half
I may push for standard nightmare later, but the level is just.. a bit much

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
How does the standalone version of the DLC works in term of unlockables & upgrades you got in the base game? I mean, I already finished the base game but sold my copy a while ago. If I buy the standalone version of the DLC, can I keep my character progression? Do I start with a prefix set ot weapons/upgrades?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
How does the standalone version of the DLC works in term of unlockables & upgrades you got in the base game? I mean, I already finished the base game but sold my copy a while ago. If I buy the standalone version of the DLC, can I keep my character progression? Do I start with a prefix set ot weapons/upgrades?
it should bring everything over when you log in with a bethesda.net account. i still had all my skins/weapon unlocks from the main game when i bought the standalone dlc

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Phewww just beat the DLC on Nightmare. Had to do an entire run of the base game on Nightmare to prep, goddamn.