• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I got this close into defeating the second phase of the Icon of Sin. Thios game is too much sometimes. I feel like quitting. It's too intense and I'm still mad about my loss.
I'm not sure how much this will help you but in the second phase the crucible charges around the arena respawn. As soon as I learned that it made the fight a lot easier since I could get a free glory kill on large annoying enemies.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost done the game. Just finished Nekravol 2. I like the pacing of these shorter levels more than the super long ones early in the game.

Now that I have a bunch of masteries, I'm finding that ammo is just freaking evaporating every fight. I love using micro missiles, chaingun, and rockets, so those ammo types just disappear in seconds, even with a fully upgraded suit. It's pretty funny, but it probably also means I need to learn to incorporate the other ammo types more.

It would have been nice to have a rune that increased chainsaw ammo drops or something. Getting a half refill every chainsaw doesn't feel like enough anymore.

I'm also trying to avoid using super weapons because they seem to trivialize the combat too much. One BFG shot just instantly deletes a room that I'm struggling with, when I'd rather fight stuff normally. But that's kind of the point of the BFG.

Between ice bombs, the BFG, and the Crucible, the game actually gives you quite a lot of oh shit buttons by late game.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Are the MP trophies/achievements a pain in the ass?

Not really, they can be done quite easily and fast, even without thinking about them. I've done almost of them just by playing randomly. If you like Battlemode, it can really be done without forcing them.

If not, you can still boost them with 2 friends by doing private matches, almost of my friends did this as they liked the game but weren't fans of Battlemode.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
So I'm tearing it up going through the Master Level when I get to the final bridge encounter. 10 extra lives, full crucible, plenty of ammo, an onslaught power up staring me in the face. I've got this in the bag... until the game crashes. Load it up again. Checkpoint gone. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. I think I'm going to play Monster Hunter for a little while T_T

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Funny that the Marauders are my favorite thing about the game. I wish they were a bigger deal.

Sep 7, 2018
Finally beat the game. OMG I'm so happy. That final boss was nerve wrecking I got close to dying so many times and then I missed with my BFG twice.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
So I played through this on Ultra Violence before stopping at the last boss after dying a few times. That was three weeks ago when my baby was born. Should I bother finishing it up? The boss seemed long and not fun from my attempts, and now I know I'll be rusty, making it even harder. Maybe drop the difficulty?

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
When is this season ending? Kinda don't like anything on it but looking forward to the next one. Also any dlc news?

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Finally sinking into this game and I'm really loving it. I'm only on level 4 but the level design and platforming so far has been incredibly fun. I'm taking my sweet time finding every little secret and power up as its just so much fun being the Doomguy.

Even on the easiest setting, the enemy AI seems pretty smart and they can quickly overwhelm if I'm not paying attention. I was really getting my ass kicked in the beginning. I really hate those arachnotron dudes, they are by far the most annoying enemy type I've encountered so far.

The lore seems pretty interesting too and I'm excited to see where this goes.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Wondering if now is a good time to buy. Bestbuy has it for $40 with steel book. And I have GCU. But it could go lower, could go gamepass. And the back log..

Wonder how the expansion pass dlc with fair. And will it get an XSX patch?

Oct 25, 2017
It can definitely go lower
It hasn't been patched much besides Battle mode balance, still buggy
No word from devs about DLC, Master levels, Invasion, or empowered demons

I recommend waiting. The game might be in a better state patch wise, have more content, and be cheaper later.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
It can definitely go lower
It hasn't been patched much besides Battle mode balance, still buggy
No word from devs about DLC, Master levels, Invasion, or empowered demons

I recommend waiting. The game might be in a better state patch wise, have more content, and be cheaper later.
I haven't really ran into many bugs, game runs pretty well and is stable for me. It runs quite well on consoles seeing its 60 fps. The only weird thing is lack of communication about when dlc will be released and invasion. I assume things changed/delayed with Covid-19, but would nice to know what is up...

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be weird and wish we would eventually get a deathmatch or team deathmatch mode.......

I'm the one guy who really enjoyed the multiplayer in 2016.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna be weird and wish we would eventually get a deathmatch or team deathmatch mode.......

I'm the one guy who really enjoyed the multiplayer in 2016.

You're not alone buddy! Spent almost 100h in DOOM 2016 MP.

That said, I don't know if Eternal gameplay would be very fun: low ammunition, Double Dash making more difficult to target opponents (especially on console), I think it's great for PvE, but not sure for competitive PvP, at least if we don't have huge area of damage weapons.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So uh... the teaser for the new twitch prime skin dropped and I think the guys at Bethesda watched a little too much tiger king.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Finally on the last level. The previous level's boss fight was annoying at first, then like the rest of the game, it kinda forced me to git gud, and I think I came out a better player for it.

It forced me to get used to headshotting those drones, which I eventually did by simplifying my movement and pulling the trigger when the head crossed over it. Is that lame? I got way more consistent with headshots that way. I also didn't know they dropped ammo until a bunch of attempts in.

Lock-on rockets are bullshit powerful in that fight. Holy shit. I was trying to use the chaingun and ballista, but the whole thing got so much faster once I tried rockets.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man their idea of "seasons" is fucking stupid as hell. Jettison the concept into the sun please and just pack in extra skins, tiered unlocks with ridiculous EXP demands is straight up bullshit. Who are these for?

Not that anyone would want the mullet thing or hipster whatever. Maybe they truly are comedy-challenged.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game's on sale right now at my EB. How does it compare to DOOM 2016? I tried replaying that a few months ago and washed out.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Phobos was such a fun mission. Loved all the platforming and environment variety. I had a smile on my face from beginning to end. Doomguy has a great sense of humor as well.

"Dont do this."
*Doomguy does this*

I'm definitely old and not as good as I used to be at video games. On my easy run, I've had about 9 lives stockpiled but Sentinel Prime and Taras Nabad really cranked it up and I'm fighting for my life now in Nekravol. I've lost so much to those damn Marauders earlier and unlike other baddies, I cant just spam the rockets on them.

I need to see how professionals play this game because I cant even imagine some of these encounters in normal.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Man their idea of "seasons" is fucking stupid as hell. Jettison the concept into the sun please and just pack in extra skins, tiered unlocks with ridiculous EXP demands is straight up bullshit. Who are these for?

Not that anyone would want the mullet thing or hipster whatever. Maybe they truly are comedy-challenged.

The exp needed really is ridiculous. Did 2 playthroughs while completing some of those weekly challenges and only got 70% of the way on the first season. However, when I played the battle mode you get a lot of xp and just did that to quickly max out the season. So, I guess it's catered towards those who play a lot of battle mode.

Don't really know why they focus on these goofy cosmetics when they could be adding master levels. Then again, workflow is probably hampered due to the current world situation, so I'll definately understand if we don't get any master levels or dlc for a while.

Jan 11, 2018
Just finished my first playthrough. Played on Ultra Violence, which was perfect for me... A good challenge without being TOO brutal. Absolutely LOVED it, probably the best shooter I've played since Vanquish. Based on what people were saying I came in expecting this not to be a straightforward sequel to 2016 but... I thought it was? I don't mean it in a negative way at all either. I mean it built off it in a very logical way, adding things here or there and basically just being a bigger better version of what we got before. And never at any time did I feel it was too complex for it's own good. Art direction was really strong, level design was good, and there were no glaring performance issues on base PS4, which made the game feel really, really good to play. Fighting demons never got old across what was a fairly meaty campaign.

The variety of levels was really appreciated. I loved Doom 2016's more consistent tone, and this served as a nice contrast. This was actually the first game released in 2020 that I played, and it definitely didn't disappoint. I want more! Haha.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
The exp needed really is ridiculous. Did 2 playthroughs while completing some of those weekly challenges and only got 70% of the way on the first season. However, when I played the battle mode you get a lot of xp and just did that to quickly max out the season. So, I guess it's catered towards those who play a lot of battle mode.

Don't really know why they focus on these goofy cosmetics when they could be adding master levels. Then again, workflow is probably hampered due to the current world situation, so I'll definately understand if we don't get any master levels or dlc for a while.
the xp sometimes being bugged out completely turned me off of doing the weekly challenges. Did everything in week 1 this go around and was only rewarded a fraction of what i shouldve gotten and didnt even break level 1.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Phobos was such a fun mission. Loved all the platforming and environment variety. I had a smile on my face from beginning to end. Doomguy has a great sense of humor as well.

"Dont do this."
*Doomguy does this*

I'm definitely old and not as good as I used to be at video games. On my easy run, I've had about 9 lives stockpiled but Sentinel Prime and Taras Nabad really cranked it up and I'm fighting for my life now in Nekravol. I've lost so much to those damn Marauders earlier and unlike other baddies, I cant just spam the rockets on them.

I need to see how professionals play this game because I cant even imagine some of these encounters in normal.
Phobos is my favorite mission too. It feels like a perfect vertical slice of the game and everything that makes it good. It's gleefully, ridiculously dumb, and just has fun with it. It also seems to have a lot more effort put into it compared to most of the other levels, which is maybe why it's the demo level that's usually shown in demos.

As for how pros do it, check out this speedrun of 100% ultra nightmare. This is the part where he fights the first marauder:

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I just finished mission 9 and back on the Fortress of Doom. There's a bunch of invisible barriers now blocking most of the doors so I can't get to the last weapon upgrade to finish all the collectibles. It said I can explore now but then won't let me. Is this by design somehow?

Edit: reloading fixed it. Fuck, I was scared lol.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game. That was incredible. What an adrenaline rush. I found myself loudly exhaling after some of these battles in the final few levels. There were so many instances where it really did feel like hell. Shout out to blood punch for saving my ass numerous times.

I really liked the world building and expansion of the lore. The new worlds were cool and I enjoyed the environmental storytelling in addition to the codex entries. I didnt think it was possible but the OST is even better this time around. I do think the graphics look a little worse than 2016? Not sure if its the art style or what. I mean it looked and ran great on PS4 Pro but I didnt feel wowed like I was with 2016.

Was it ever explained how Doomguy ended up on the Fortress of Doom after the events of 2016?

Either way, that was a blast. Worth full price. 9/10

Also, Hayden / Samur is making his turn to evil way too obvious lol. As if the glowing red color wasnt indicative enough. I was also hoping to use those giant Atlan mechs against the Icon of Sin and go totally Pacific Rim on his ass. Maybe in the next one.

Phobos is my favorite mission too. It feels like a perfect vertical slice of the game and everything that makes it good. It's gleefully, ridiculously dumb, and just has fun with it. It also seems to have a lot more effort put into it compared to most of the other levels, which is maybe why it's the demo level that's usually shown in demos.

As for how pros do it, check out this speedrun of 100% ultra nightmare. This is the part where he fights the first marauder:

Whoa how did he get him so quickly lol. I also thought special weapons had no effect on him? This person is also the most efficient player in the world. No wasted movements, damn.

Fast guys like him are a pain to fight in FPS, especially since a lot of his encounters are in really tight spaces.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Whoa how did he get him so quickly lol. I also thought special weapons had no effect on him? This person is also the most efficient player in the world. No wasted movements, damn.
fired off an ice grenade, which the marauder will track with his shield. this leaves his back exposed to attacks he would normally block, so he fires off a lock on burst with the RL, which hits and falters the marauder just long enough to do another lock on burst which is enough damage to kill him.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the game. That was incredible. What an adrenaline rush. I found myself loudly exhaling after some of these battles in the final few levels. There were so many instances where it really did feel like hell. Shout out to blood punch for saving my ass numerous times.

I really liked the world building and expansion of the lore. The new worlds were cool and I enjoyed the environmental storytelling in addition to the codex entries. I didnt think it was possible but the OST is even better this time around. I do think the graphics look a little worse than 2016? Not sure if its the art style or what. I mean it looked and ran great on PS4 Pro but I didnt feel wowed like I was with 2016.

Was it ever explained how Doomguy ended up on the Fortress of Doom after the events of 2016?

Either way, that was a blast. Worth full price. 9/10

Also, Hayden / Samur is making his turn to evil way too obvious lol. As if the glowing red color wasnt indicative enough. I was also hoping to use those giant Atlan mechs against the Icon of Sin and go totally Pacific Rim on his ass. Maybe in the next one.

Fast guys like him are a pain to fight in FPS, especially since a lot of his encounters are in really tight spaces.
I think he said that the marauder tries to block the ice bomb, so he fires the ice bomb flies over the marauder's head, which makes the marauder turn around to block it, which leaves him open to eating rockets in the back. It wasn't his strat - he learned it from some other runner.

You *can* BFG him, but you need to stagger him first. So you still need to wait for the green flash, hit him with the ssg or something, then quickly BFG him while he's staggered. It looks like a reliable one-cycle kill.

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
fired off an ice grenade, which the marauder will track with his shield. this leaves his back exposed to attacks he would normally block, so he fires off a lock on burst with the RL, which hits and falters the marauder just long enough to do another lock on burst which is enough damage to kill him.
I think he said that the marauder tries to block the ice bomb, so he fires the ice bomb flies over the marauder's head, which makes the marauder turn around to block it, which leaves him open to eating rockets in the back. It wasn't his strat - he learned it from some other runner.

You *can* BFG him, but you need to stagger him first. So you still need to wait for the green flash, hit him with the ssg or something, then quickly BFG him while he's staggered. It looks like a reliable one-cycle kill.

That's pretty clever, especially considering how quickly they pulled it off.

I should have made better use of the quick swap. I've always used the weapon wheel as a habit so I never thought about switching to another weapon while hes staggered. Dude recovers so quickly, sometimes I could barely get a second hit in with the ssg.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty clever, especially considering how quickly they pulled it off.

I should have made better use of the quick swap. I've always used the weapon wheel as a habit so I never thought about switching to another weapon while hes staggered. Dude recovers so quickly, sometimes I could barely get a second hit in with the ssg.
I think the standard way to fight him is hot swapping between ballista and ssg whenever he's vulnerable. I can usually get maybe three hits (like ssg - ballista - ssg) on him for every green flash, which takes him down in three or four cycles.

I've seen speedrunners do stuff like circling around after he's staggered to shoot him in the back as a way to chain stagger him, but it seems hard to pull off, and I never think to try it when I'm playing.

Hot swapping is really good in this game in general. I'm pretty sure just swapping between ssg and ballista puts out more dps than any single gun, except for maybe lock-on rockets or the chaingun. Once I got used to it, the game felt a lot smoother.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019

Ok I knew you could defeat the Marauder pretty quickly, but not "Before the music kicks in" quickly.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished this game the other day. I really liked it overall and think it's more fun than Doom 2016, even though it definitely took longer to click. Combat-wise, I still think it's a bit like Sekiro in that while the game's design does want you to play in a certain style, it gives you a good amount of wiggle room within it, and the game's focus on it really lets that style shine once you embrace it. The game is a joy to play once you really get used to the huge toolset that you've been given. You really aren't just swapping between two guns like in 2016. By the last level, I was using nearly every gun in the arsenal, and hot swapping mods for the rocket launcher and chaingun too. You can pull some insane shit in this game that simply isn't an option in any other FPS. There's nothing that I know of that plays like this.

The last level was amazing because the big rooms were like doing Slayer Gates back to back. The game just doesn't stop throwing shit at you, but you have all the tools and experience to fight it now. I loved it, except the actual final boss was a drag. I get that it was kind of trying to be a throwback to the Icon of Sin in Doom 2, but it was the type of boss that doesn't really jive with the game's combat flow, and really suffered for it.

Couple of stray thoughts:

I kinda liked the story for what it was. It tries to go for the same tongue-in-cheek dark-but-dumb tone as warhammer 40k, which works for the series. I disliked the time skip from 2016 - I felt like it was a good setup that got dropped for some reason or another during development. What we did get was okay, though it told the story of the Doomguy in an unnecessary amount of detail, and retconned key characters like VEGA and Hayden pretty badly. There has to be a reason why the developers went in the direction that they did. I liked the story of 2016 more overall - as a whole it was just tighter, and I liked it better when Argent Energy was some unknown dangerous crap that humans named themselves, and were using without understanding the consequences. Eternal establishing it as a godlike energy source used by advanced races diminished the feel of it.

I think the weapon balance was FAR improved from 2016. Almost every gun had a role, even in end game. The only guns I wasn't using much by the end were the default shotty and plasma rifle. Everything else was good for something. I really liked how they improved the chaingun, since it was a disappointment in 2016. I'm sad at the removal of the Gauss in Eternal, but I also understand because it was just too strong and trivialized many other guns by existing. I do think some mods could be tuned a little bit better, but it's a minor complaint, and I think all in all they did a fantastic job of balancing them this time around.

I'm okay with the marauder. He usually meant at least one death in every arena where he showed up, but I didn't find him too oppressive. He feels a bit like a dark knight in a Souls game - beatable once you know how to fight him, but can still kill you singlehandedly if you make a mistake. It makes him a unique threat because by midgame, you can reliably 1v1 pretty much any other demon in the game without dying.

Combat-wise, the marauder functions similarly so a super version of a Baron in that you're basically supposed to run from him until you can fight him on your own terms. He's a wrench that's used to escalate the combat in the game because the roles of many other enemies have already been exhausted by then. Some enemies chase you to keep you moving (knights, barons, stalkers, whiplashes, etc), some make you go to them to shut them down (carcasses, archviles), and some try to deny you space (arachnotrons, cyber mancs). After those things, there aren't many options when designing a new super enemy because you can only get so tanky or damaging before it feels cheap. My guess is that's why id gave the marauder its unique mechanics instead.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Ran through the game on extra life mode, and the trophy never popped. I'm reallllly pissed off.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New update brings Empowered Demons to campaigns, which is a lovely feature. I can't wait still for the ability to invade other single player campaigns Dark Souls style....

Tomasdk

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
I don't know if it's confirmed but there's a rumor floating around that the update added or will add a bunch of master levels and atleast one is locked behind Twitch Prime. I hope that that's false because if not, Bethesda did it again.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
" It's not just BATTLEMODE that's getting some enhancements! We've heard your feedback on the single player campaign and Update 1 addresses a few balance concerns and annoyances players have brought to our attention. Some of these changes include expanded demon tutorials, Dashing vertically in water and adjusting toxic damage while swimming "
So they fixed dash in the water, nice. That always fucked me up when I was trying to get out of the toxic water.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Expanded demon tutorials? Huh, I thought everything was pretty explanatory, all I can think of is maybe a hot swap tutorial for the Marauder.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Lots and lots of complaining in the forums about how performance is worse with the Anti-Cheat form of Denuvo they added. But hey, they fixed the HDR map bug!