• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
I didn't like them in 2016 and had them off. I don't really like glory kills in general, and mostly avoided them in 2016. I'd only do a handful every level.

But in Eternal, the game seems tuned around them quite a bit, so they're much more important to use. And because everything is so fast, the visual highlight is important. I didn't like it at first, but I've gotten used to the new routine.

I do appreciate that they seem to somewhat lose importance as the game goes on, both because you get enough firepower to kill enemies without them, and also because there's so much crap thrown at you that it makes sense to pass up glory kills in many situations.
Yeah, I also didn't care for the glory kill indicators and their function as much in 2016 either and also think they work much better in Eternal, like the concept was more properly executed, mechanics-wise.

I just wish the highlights were more diegetic to the game experience itself rather than the obvious flashing, "kill-me-now" highlights. I think highlighting the staggered demons is necessary because like you say, the game's pace/intensity is so fast that you need them to standout, especially because glory killing is crucial to staying alive.

I also was a fan of them giving more avenues for health recovery as you progress with the ice bomb kills and blood punches being ways to recover HP.
~ ~ ~
Regarding the story in Eternal, I definitely think the story should be far more minimalist. They clearly took a bunch of inspiration from Super Mario with Doom Eternal, but one of the big things I feel they should have really took from Super Mario was the narrative. All of the Mario games' stories are the same: Peach is kidnapped by Bowser, and Mario has to save the day. That's it, and it doesn't need to really be anything more IMHO. Same kind of thinking should apply to DOOM: Demons have shown up to mess shit up and now Doom Guy just has to kill 'em, nothing more is necessary.

Oct 28, 2019
Honestly, I'm on the cultist base and I've already felt this. I think the big culprit for me is the level design on the combat arenas and the amount of enemies they spawn in. I am constantly running and dashing into demons without seeing them and feeling like I cant escape. The arenas feel weirdly constrained and less mobile than 2016, and there are just SO MANY DEMONS that ot gets exhausting to fight, and not always in an exciting way.
Yeah this game frequently restricts your movement when it wants to be challenging. Making you fight in narrow areas of an arena, purple goo that won't let you jump, forcing you to fight demons on ledges over bottomless pits, lava it goes on. I get they did it so you can't circle strafe all day but it gets annoying in some places.

I honestly think mid to late game doomguy has so many tools and so much mobility that he is OP. The only way they could keep this game from being a Cakewalk for skilled players was restrictive environments and overwhelming endurance match battles.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I honestly think mid to late game doomguy has so many tools and so much mobility that he is OP. The only way they could keep this game from being a Cakewalk for skilled players was restrictive environments and overwhelming endurance match battles.
Yep, makes me wonder where they can go from here, speaking of gameplay strictly.

I'm not sure I want yet another game where I start with no weapons and have restricted options until the midway point. I think they may have hit a creative dead end in that sense and I'm not sure how the next game can continue to innovate.

I still have hope that Hugo and Id will deliver in the end though.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, this guy doing a 100% ultra nightmare speedrun just got boned three hours in by a completely unexpected glory kill. He's cleared this run multiple times because he's really damn good, but this still really sucks.

According to him, he wanted to use his blood punch, but then the long-distance glory kill rune triggered on an enemy that wasn't even highlighted. It dropped him into an awful position and he died pretty much instantly.

Spoilers since it's pretty late in the game.

Yeah, I also didn't care for the glory kill indicators and their function as much in 2016 either and also think they work much better in Eternal, like the concept was more properly executed, mechanics-wise.

I just wish the highlights were more diegetic to the game experience itself rather than the obvious flashing, "kill-me-now" highlights. I think highlighting the staggered demons is necessary because like you say, the game's pace/intensity is so fast that you need them to standout, especially because glory killing is crucial to staying alive.

I also was a fan of them giving more avenues for health recovery as you progress with the ice bomb kills and blood punches being ways to recover HP.
~ ~ ~
Regarding the story in Eternal, I definitely think the story should be far more minimalist. They clearly took a bunch of inspiration from Super Mario with Doom Eternal, but one of the big things I feel they should have really took from Super Mario was the narrative. All of the Mario games' stories are the same: Peach is kidnapped by Bowser, and Mario has to save the day. That's it, and it doesn't need to really be anything more IMHO. Same kind of thinking should apply to DOOM: Demons have shown up to mess shit up and now Doom Guy just has to kill 'em, nothing more is necessary.
I'm not done the game yet, but so far I agree that the story should have been more barebones, or at least should have relied way less on the codex. It feels like Doom 2016 struck the right balance between giving just enough narrative to give you an excuse to go from a to b while killing everything in your way, while also having pretty interesting lore in the codex if you wanted to check it out. Eternal's story feels like there were two forces at id, where one wanted the barebones story (as they should), while some other side had a bunch of ideas about the game's universe and *really* wanted to write that in somewhere. The result is a game that still tries to give you a very thin excuse to go from a to b in-game, but the problem is that unlike 2016, it completely lacks context if you don't go into the codex.

2016 was simple. Shit has fucked up, there's a portal to hell, and you need to close it. Go chase this person who's trying to keep the portal open. Go do things to close the portal. Close the portal. Everything is simple enough that the few sentences of in-game dialogue are enough to tell you what's going on, and what you need to know. All the details are tucked away in the codex, but you can get by purely on the in-game dialogue if you wanted to.

Eternal is like... Okay, find and kill hell priests. Wait, what the fuck are hell priests? Who are all these new characters and factions? What happened to all these characters from 2016? There's a time skip? What happened between the end of 2016 and the start of Eternal? Unlike 2016, if you don't read the codex in Eternal, the in-game dialogue will endlessly reference things that you know nothing about, and act like you should know them.

I'm not knocking the lore because I'm enjoying it so far, but I feel like it could have been presented better. There's this big disconnect between what the in-game characters know (including Doomguy) and what the player knows, and the game relies on the codex way too much to bridge that gap.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, this guy doing a 100% ultra nightmare speedrun just got boned three hours in by a completely unexpected glory kill. He's cleared this run multiple times because he's really damn good, but this still really sucks.

According to him, he wanted to use his blood punch, but then the long-distance glory kill rune triggered on an enemy that wasn't even highlighted. It dropped him into an awful position and he died pretty much instantly.

Spoilers since it's pretty late in the game.

Man, there's a cybertyrant in that fight? I don't even remember it being there. Is that for all difficulties?
Did I veto him so fast with the crucible that I don't even remember him or what?

One of my (minor) complaints after I finished was that the game is so generous with crucible juice that I never once had to fight a Tyrant fairly during the standard campaign levels, he was just a non-issue. I'm gonna have to go back and simply choose not to use my superweapons. I remember the damn Whiplash better than I do the Tyrant.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any point in playing DOOM 2016 before Eternal aside from story beats? Wondering if I should just watch a catch-up video and jump straight to Eternal if Eternal has all the weapons and enemies from 2016, just more.
Doom 2016 is definitely worth playing, in fact I'd recommend playing it before Doom Eternal, because it might feel pretty slow and boring combat wise after playing Doom Eternal. Doom Eternal really turns up the intensity to 11..

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Extra Lives on Ultra Violence, that was a little easier than I expected, finished with 40 lives. If I knew, I'd do it on Nightmare. :P

Now I'm gonna take a break for real, play other stuff, 72 hours is more than enough for now.

Amazing, amazing game. Best FPS I've ever played and one of the best action games in general.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Completed Exultia on UN

6DjOG65.gif

Now to practice Cultist Base on regular Nightmare for a while

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Finished Extra Lives on Ultra Violence, that was a little easier than I expected, finished with 40 lives. If I knew, I'd do it on Nightmare. :P

Now I'm gonna take a break for real, play other stuff, 72 hours is more than enough for now.

Amazing, amazing game. Best FPS I've ever played and one of the best action games in general.

It really is that good. I don't think I've ever had an FPS make me sweat, some of those late game nightmare fights are insane.It's almost straight up intense character action game in fps form.

i think time will be very kind to doom eternal.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, there's a cybertyrant in that fight? I don't even remember it being there. Is that for all difficulties?
Did I veto him so fast with the crucible that I don't even remember him or what?

One of my (minor) complaints after I finished was that the game is so generous with crucible juice that I never once had to fight a Tyrant fairly during the standard campaign levels, he was just a non-issue. I'm gonna have to go back and simply choose not to use my superweapons. I remember the damn Whiplash better than I do the Tyrant.
I don't know. I haven't gotten there yet. The Whiplash is a super dangerous enemy though. I think everyone fears those things.

I just beat Mars and Sentinel Prime just now. I'm continuing to feel better about this game. Yes, it's still hard, but I don't feel as scared anymore because the game keeps giving you more "oh shit" buttons. The Mars Slayer Gate was nowhere near as stressful as the one before it, mostly because the BFG let you go "nope, don't wanna do this wave" whenever you wanted. And you're so mobile with the meat hook that you can run from the really dangerous enemies pretty much indefinitely until you're ready to engage them.

The latest boss fight kicked my ass real bad for a while, maybe because I was playing it too safe and didn't take enough opportunities to do damage. It's the first time the game offered sentinel armor, but I didn't take it.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
It really is that good. I don't think I've ever had an FPS make me sweat, some of those late game nightmare fights are insane.It's almost straight up intense character action game in fps form.

i think time will be very kind to doom eternal.
I agree.

I am actually quite surprised at a lot of the complaints that I've seen leveled at the game. Personally, I think it is so far superior to 2016 and it isn't even close. When I played it, I thought it was a solid 8/10 game; a great game, but I didn't really see the deep praise it had received. Eternal though? Now that is a real banging game, like FPS perfection. It is a game meant to be played and replayed until one masters it at a deep level, and I think it is truly worth that amount of dedicated play. I sincerely believe it is an FPS campaign that is up there with the likes of Halo: Combat Evolved, Half-Life 2, Halo 3, and (a fave of mine) Killzone 2. A 10/10 FPS in my eyes, it just does nails the most important things in an FPS: a very satisfying, diverse arsenal, excellent movement, and an enemy roster that is intelligent, intimidating, with very strong aesthetics, and is super satisfying to shoot to bits quite literally.

The only complaints that I really feel are valid towards the game is its bugs (unfortunate blemishes on an otherwise excellent game) and its a bit too self-serious narrative, which I think isn't quite as bad as a lot like to say and actually improves with subsequent plays.

Aug 28, 2019
Finished my second playthrough last night, this time on Nightmare, and I only appreciate it more the second time through. Much of the harsh negativity directed at every component of this game is so wildly out of step with my own experience that I struggle to comprehend it.

I finished one of the master levels, and I was not expecting the level of resistance it threw at me. It pushed me to improve my tactics, analyze the encounters, and adapt on the fly like never before. Can't wait for more of them. The skill ceiling in this game is surprisingly high. After all this, I still have a lot of room to improve.

I've considered giving 2016 another play to compare the two side by side, but I'd rather just keep playing Eternal. I found 2016 disappointingly easy the last time I replayed it, and I doubt having played Eternal now will change that.

Feb 23, 2018
Loved the game but felt it was too complex especially considering the pace... you've got so much to manage, there are so many bound buttons... felt like playing a MMO or a strategy game at times.

That's probably what makes the time Investment worthwhile. But for the first playthrough I often felt overwhelmed... but not in a good way.

I love hard games - but I prefer simple and elegant design (OG Halo, Dark Souls) over this any time of the day.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Got through the first three levels on ultraviolence, on Xbox. Really enjoying it but I think there's probably one too many mechanics for me to process in gameplay this quick. I also think there's one too many options for people without paddles on their controllers, because the action is so fast and you're so vulnerable that you can't really afford to take your thumbs off the controller: ideally you want everything mapped to the shoulders, triggers, L3/R3 and paddles (if available). And both grenades are on different cooldowns, which makes things even more complex.

At any given time, you've got the following options, outside of normal movement and shooting:
  1. Change weapons
  2. Dash
  3. Grenade
  4. Ice grenade (which often needs another button press to select it)
  5. Chainsaw
  6. Blood punch
I find it almost impossible to properly manage all of those options while also running around like crazy avoiding damage and shooting things. The biggest challenge is knowing the status of my health/armour/cooldowns/chainsaw/blood punch amid the hectic action. They are all small icons buried in the corners of my screen and you can't afford to look away for a couple of seconds and take everything in, or you'll get killed.

I had no problem with Doom 2016 on ultraviolence, but Eternal is a little too complex for me to manage. I understand what id wants players to do - I just can't execute that decision-making in a game this fast.

I can only think that you need to practice until your actions become instinct, rather than conscious decisions like "oh, I need to replenish my armour, better go and flame that imp" - you just do it without really thinking. But even then, I'd struggle to keep track of my status at all times.

I'm also finding that the added options and limited ammo make me play much more defensively. In Doom 2016, I was constantly on the offensive and pushing forward, like an unstoppable force of nature. In Eternal, however, I am constantly running out of ammo and needing to find mooks to chainsaw/flame/blood punch.

The weapon wheel seems oddly sticky on Xbox. Opening it is fine, but I can't quickly flick between different weapons - try opening it and then quickly moving up/down/left/right to see what I mean.

Anyone got any tips?!

Last edited:

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Got through the first three levels on ultraviolence, on Xbox. Really enjoying it but I think there's probably one too many mechanics for me to process in gameplay this quick. I also think there's one too many options for people without paddles on their controllers. And both grenades are on different cooldowns, which makes things even more complex.

At any given time, you've got the following options, outside of normal movement and shooting:
  1. Change weapons
  2. Dash
  3. Grenade
  5. Chainsaw
  6. Blood punch
I find it almost impossible to properly manage all of those options while also running around like crazy avoiding damage and shooting things. The biggest challenge is knowing the status of my health/armour/cooldowns/chainsaw/blood punch amid the hectic action. They are all small icons buried in the corners of my screen and you can't afford to look away for a couple of seconds and take everything in, or you'll get killed.

I had no problem with Doom 2016 on ultraviolence, but Eternal is a little too complex for me to manage. I understand what id wants players to do - I just can't execute that decision-making in a game this fast.

I'm also finding that the added options and limited ammo make me play much more defensively. In Doom 2016, I was constantly on the offensive and pushing forward, like an unstoppable force of nature. In Eternal, however, I am constantly running out of ammo and needing to find mooks to chainsaw/flame/blood punch.

The weapon wheel seems oddly sticky on Xbox. Opening it it fine, but I can't quickly flick between different weapons - try opening it and then quickly moving up/down/left/right to see what I mean.

Anyone got any tips?!

I would recommend playing on Hurt Me Plenty, the Ultra-violence difficulty in this game is significantly harder than it was in Doom 2016. I did my first playthrough on HMP, got a feel for all the mechanics, then breezed through UV. Eternal is more of an arcade game, it's meant to be mastered over the course of multiple playthroughs.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just completed the first Marauder fight. Loving this game right now, even more so than Doom 2016.
I enjoy the platforming almost as much as I enjoy the fights as it gives me a much needed breather between the intense shootouts.

Only thing I truly hate so far is the purple goo. Every fight with this is just anti-fun and goes against everything Doom stands for to me.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

I am actually quite surprised at a lot of the complaints that I've seen leveled at the game. Personally, I think it is so far superior to 2016 and it isn't even close. When I played it, I thought it was a solid 8/10 game; a great game, but I didn't really see the deep praise it had received. Eternal though? Now that is a real banging game, like FPS perfection. It is a game meant to be played and replayed until one masters it at a deep level, and I think it is truly worth that amount of dedicated play. I sincerely believe it is an FPS campaign that is up there with the likes of Halo: Combat Evolved, Half-Life 2, Halo 3, and (a fave of mine) Killzone 2. A 10/10 FPS in my eyes, it just does nails the most important things in an FPS: a very satisfying, diverse arsenal, excellent movement, and an enemy roster that is intelligent, intimidating, with very strong aesthetics, and is super satisfying to shoot to bits quite literally.

The only complaints that I really feel are valid towards the game is its bugs (unfortunate blemishes on an otherwise excellent game) and its a bit too self-serious narrative, which I think isn't quite as bad as a lot like to say and actually improves with subsequent plays.
Exactly! My favorite FPS before Eternal were Crysis and Halo, for different reasons: Player movement and abilities for Crysis, enemy design and variety for Halo.

Doom Eternal has at the same time better movement than Crysis and better enemies than Halo, in my opinion. Along with way better weapons than both. It's truly incredible.

I understand the complaints about story, but as someone who doesn't give a shit, even if 2016's story was better, it was often told by holding my hostage to it while characters talk "in-game". Eternal's more "traditional" cutscene approach means that, ever since I finished my first playthrough, whenever story starts, I hold R and go back to the game. Can't exactly do that when locked in an Exposition Room in 2016, Half-Life style.

1. Change weapons
  2. Dash
  3. Grenade
  5. Chainsaw
  6. Blood punch

Anyone got any tips?!
Go in the HUD options and set icons to Large. It really helped me to actually see my cooldowns. I was having trouble following the on-screen icons as well before doing that. Now I have a feel for them that I don't evne need to look at the icons, but having a larger HUD certainly helps to get to that point.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Go in the HUD options and set icons to Large. It really helped me to actually see my cooldowns. I was having trouble following the on-screen icons as well before doing that. Now I have a feel for them that I don't evne need to look at the icons, but having a larger HUD certainly helps to get to that point.
Thanks, I somehow missed this option. I'll give it a go.

Jan 10, 2018
Just started playing this and the beginning is quite different from Doom 2016. There's a lot more going on and it feels like you are being thrown into the end of some major events. There's also lots of surprising lore that I'm having a hard time getting the hang of. There's so many different factions, figures and events being and I'm not really sure what Doomguy is trying to accomplish or if I've missed some important DLC leading up to all this. He seems to be at odds with both Hell and the forces against it? It's all a bit too much and I'm not sure why it was needed. Surely the developer understood why the opening of Doom 2016 was liked so much? It was simple, direct and built up everything slowly. This just seems like the opposite of that.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
So, anything to be done about glitched collectibles trophies?

Playset Not Included and Reforged the Genie Lamp both failed to pop despite 100%'ing every stage as I went (before mission select and cheat codes even became available) and the corresponding in-game milestones having popped and recognizing that I did indeed get all toys and cheat codes. All the other ones (albums, lore, gun masteries, praetor suit upgrades, sentinel crystals, sentinel batteries, slayer gates/keys, Unmakyr, etc.) popped without issue exactly when they should have. But the trophies for the toys and cheats have glitched out on me.

I know I need to do a second run in Extra Life mode anyway for the platinum. I guess what I need to know is to I need to delete my profile and reset my milestones first, or can I just re-attempt these two collection trophies on a new Extra Life Mode file using my existing profile (which DOES have the all toys and all cheats milestones already popped)?

I know that glitched collection trophies is a fairly widespread issue, but I haven't found a consensus about how to deal with them when Googling. Was wondering if anyone here bumped into this issue and was able to fix it or resolve it in some fashion.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
What the hell, I allowed the first secret encounter in Taras Nabad. I am not sure how to manage it within the time limit without using BFG (which I dont want to, serial hoarder).

On the bright side, the final few Slayer Gates gave me no issue at all. Done them all in 1 go, no retry needed 🤷‍♂️

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
So, after finishing this game two days ago, here are my thoughts.

I loved it. I really did, from start to finish. I think that overall it's a better game than 2016, but there are things that 2016 did better than Eternal. For once, the story is better in 2016. Rather than the story, the presentation of it it's much better than Eternal's, which made it more confusing. The other element that I think where 2016's is slightly better, is that Eternal's level design is open but linear (like Uncharted 4), and way less laberinthical. 2016 had ONE level, The Foundry, that was really well done, while the rest were much much linear like Eternal's. But that ONE level, is ONE more than Eternal's.

Other than that, I think that pretty much everything else is done better in Eternal. The flow of the combat, the tools, the "dance", even the bosses. Yes, I enjoyed much more the bosses this time, even the Icon of Sin, which I didn't think it was that hard, despite dying quite a bit there. It was finally time to really use the sword. The final boss was pretty much what I pictured in the Icon of Sin battle in Doom 2. I really wanted more "Hell on earth" levels than this mystical dimension traveling, but oh well, it was varied enough to keep me interested in it.

I still have to try Battlemode, which I'll do soon enough. I can't get enough of this game.

Fachasaurus

Oct 27, 2017
That final boss was just not fun or interesting in comparison to the boss right before it.

I actually liked the story in the game. I know it's hard to marry the jokey history and this serious narrative, but I think they are trying to set some stuff up. I just don't know if it's possible with what they have. The story felt very Halo 5 with how it unfolded.

I also really loved the platforming and acrobatics. I kind of wanted more of that. Especially with the enemy fight designs. The Marauder having an attack pattern was really cool and it was only annoying when other smaller enemies showed up because I just wanted that one on one focus mode up.

Don't shoot me, but I kind of want them to go a bit more Metroidvania with this game in the future. Like I don't see the point of putting a yellow power up pill in the map somewhere to refill my dash because that kind of breaks the world for me. But if I unlocked a triple dash or triple jump and could revisit parts of the game I couldn't get to - I think that could be fun. The game in its current form gives you so many things to keep track of that it does get overwhelming but if that becomes part of the toolset in both exploration and combat then why not?

They also need to lean in heavy with the Super Shotgun. Flinging myself from enemy to enemy is so much fun and something you don't really get to do in FPS games. Especially with a fire coated chain and shotgun blast at the end. But if they made you fling yourself from an enemy to a platform to a new enemy to get to a higher elevation that would feel more exciting then yellow pole vaulting.

I may have to take a break and do another play through but this game is definitely a GOTY contender.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
why the fuck do I have to log into Bethesda.net to play this on ps4?

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
on consoles you have to use the weapon wheel, but with proper memorization and practice you can do it fairly quick, this is how i do it

How are you changing in the wheel so quickly on console? If I hold the button for the weapon wheel and then choose between different weapons by moving the stick in different directions, it is incredibly unresponsive. Weirdly, it's much more responsive if I "turn" the stick to rotate around the wheel, but I can't understand why that would be better than just moving the stick in the direction of the weapon you want.

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone know if the character set collection XP gaining is gated after series 1 is over? Example, the slayer series 1 Ember Collection is level 3 for me right now. Will I still be able to gain XP for it after the event is over? (Tonight is the last night until series 2 starts)

I have fully leveled up my event XP to level 12 so I'm good for that, just wondering about the Ember collection XP (and to a lesser extent, Doomicorn)

Last edited:

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the character set collection XP gaining is gated after series 1 is over? Example, the slayer series 1 Ember Collection is level 3 for me right now. Will I still be able to gain XP for it after the event is over? (Tonight is the last night until series 2 starts)

I have fully leveled up my event XP to level 12 so I'm good for that, just wondering about the Ember collection XP (and to a lesser extent, Doomicorn)
I still dont understand how set xp progression work

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm starting to fall off my supposed GOTY 2020 a bit.

I just have less fun on Ultra Violence the further I'm into the game. It feels even harder than Nightmare on Doom 2016 and not in a good way. They throw some enemies in the mix that are just such a nuisance to fight and absorb all your attention. I'm going from full armor and health to death within 2 seconds, even when I'm dashing around the arena.
Such a shame, because I thought the game was starting off incredibly good, until they throw in Marauders, Arch Viles and the such.

I don't know why the demons are so afraid of The Doom Slayer, since he is made of sponge cake.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I really really like this game but the Marauder drives me crazy. He's the shittiest enemy by far and a total annoyance every time one pops up. I hate them.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I'm starting to fall off my supposed GOTY 2020 a bit.

I just have less fun on Ultra Violence the further I'm into the game. It feels even harder than Nightmare on Doom 2016 and not in a good way. They throw some enemies in the mix that are just such a nuisance to fight and absorb all your attention. I'm going from full armor and health to death within 2 seconds, even when I'm dashing around the arena.
Such a shame, because I thought the game was starting off incredibly good, until they throw in Marauders, Arch Viles and the such.

I don't know why the demons are so afraid of The Doom Slayer, since he is made of sponge cake.
They fear him because he is an unstoppable sponge cake.

Oct 27, 2017
So, what are we thinking in terms of DLC for this game? Plan was to release two single player expansions within first year of release but the pandemic will throw up challenges for all games, DOOM included. When do you think we'll see the first of those, and what sort of direction would you like them to take?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
This guy continues to put out great videos.

First thing I noticed was the complete lack of ammo compared to doom 2016

and so far it's both good and bad

Its a negative because you don't feel like you're in charge anymore. Way more running away looking for easy kills and chainsaw kills. This feels a bit weird to me so far.

it's a positive because it adds thinking and skill to the game

Early opinion...
I don't think I like it on the 2nd hardest difficulty because I don't want my whole experience focused on ammo management. I'm early into the game and this feels off. I just wanna rip throats and fight tons and tons of enemies. I should be worried about my health not ammo.

Last edited:

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
[QUO
First thing I noticed was the complete lack of ammo compared to doom 2016

and so far it's both good and bad

Its a negative because you don't feel like you're in charge anymore. Way more running away looking for easy kills and chainsaw kills. This feels a bit weird to me so far.

it's a positive because it adds thinking and skill to the game

It can feel a bit weird in the first few levels. But once you have more of the weapons and ammo upgrades, I haven't found it an issue. The trick is to use the chainsaw often, not just when you're already out. I don't think one chainsaw use refills your ammo fully.

You can absolutely feel like a total badass in charge of the battlefield in this game, just ripping through demons, but it will take a certain level of mastery instead of just being handed to you.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
[QUO

It can feel a bit weird in the first few levels. But once you have more of the weapons and ammo upgrades, I haven't found it an issue. The trick is to use the chainsaw often, not just when you're already out. I don't think one chainsaw use refills your ammo fully.

You can absolutely feel like a total badass in charge of the battlefield in this game, just ripping through demons, but it will take a certain level of mastery instead of just being handed to you.
Ok that's good to hear
The first few levels in a ton of games feels off

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
What keybinds to people use for rapid weapon switching?
I've got 1-5 but also using z,x and CAPS but I' can't seem to get it to work well for me