• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it (no spoilers)
Thought the game was fun mostly, climbing sections towards the end were awful.
Finding secrets was alot more fun than 2016.
Difficulty wtf I haven't had to turn down the difficulty of any games in 20 years and I've played alot of hard games, the amount of buttons needed to be pressed felt very awkward on controller. People with paddles on their controller this is the perfect game.

The guns all felt phenomenal and the extra stuff like flamethrower and grenades added great to the variety. Most likely will platinum depending on if I feel like grinding out the MP.
If you mobility is your issue, no need for back buttons. Switch your button layout to tactical.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Just rolled credits. Loved it.

I've been playing on PC, so I didn't have too much trouble with the final boss or the marauders. I can see how that would be an absolute nightmare on the controller though.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a cliffnotes of the story... I just finished level 8 and I'm still confused as fuck. Would like to know what's going on as I get towards the end game.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Gave it another shot because I forgot it on the Gamefly queue again and it arrived. Still hate it on almost every level despite being objectively a tight game.

Thought that was important to share.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
I wonder if everyone would've been happy if the Marauder was designed to not have the shield and was twice as aggressive instead? And maybe requiring 2 quips of the Cruicible to slice it.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a cliffnotes of the story... I just finished level 8 and I'm still confused as fuck. Would like to know what's going on as I get towards the end game.
Doomguy from Doom 1/2/64 was teleported to Hell where he continued to fight demons until exhaustion. At some point he somehow passed through a portal and ended up in Argent D'nur, where Sentinels (= Space Knights) found him.

Their leaders (= the future Hell Priests and their master, Khan Maykr) were very, very keen on discovering whose "huge guts" the Doomguy kept talking about. Also this fiery dimension they had never heard about sounded super interesting.

They had him fight in the Sentinels arenas, where he proved to be rather good at punching people, and King Novik eventually made him a Sentinel despite the others being a bit meh about it.

At the same time, Khan Maykr found a way through the portal and into hell. There, she discovered an untaped source of energy and thought "yeah, that's mine now". She sent the Sentinels to explore, the Doomguy in toe.

The Maykr used Hell energy to get stronger, develop their society and basically made themselves immortal in the process. The Sentinels did not want to partake in all this because, well, it's Hell energy so maybe not a good idea? Nevertheless, they still obeyed their masters orders, exploring Hell and slaughtering demons.

In the end, the Space Knights were rather right being suspicious, because Hell launched a counter invasion, unleashing a Titan and hordes of creatures on the city of Taras Nabad.

The rest will be revealed soon.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Doomguy from Doom 1/2/64 was teleported to Hell where he continued to fight demons until exhaustion. At some point he somehow passed through a portal and ended up in Argent D'nur, where Sentinels (= Space Knights) found him.

Their leaders (= the future Hell Priests and their master, Khan Maykr) were very, very keen on discovering whose "huge guts" the Doomguy kept talking about. Also this fiery dimension they had never heard about sounded super interesting.

They had him fight in the Sentinels arenas, where he proved to be rather good at punching people, and King Novik eventually made him a Sentinel despite the others being a bit meh about it.

At the same time, Khan Maykr found a way through the portal and into hell. There, she discovered an untaped source of energy and thought "yeah, that's mine now". She sent the Sentinels to explore, the Doomguy in toe.

The Maykr used Hell energy to get stronger, develop their society and basically made themselves immortal in the process. The Sentinels did not want to partake in all this because, well, it's Hell energy so maybe not a good idea? Nevertheless, they still obeyed their masters orders, exploring Hell and slaughtering demons.

In the end, the Space Knights were rather right being suspicious, because Hell launched a counter invasion, unleashing a Titan and hordes of creatures on the city of Taras Nabad.

The rest will be revealed soon.

Thanks a lot! you made that seem a lot easier than the game did lol

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks a lot! you made that seem a lot easier than the game did lol
Yeah their codex entries are a bit too much this time around. I get that they love to write lore and don't really force players to go through all this if they don't want to, but it's almost mandatory if you want to understand what's going on. And they often read like bad D&D fanfiction.

Also, something I forgot to mention:
In the end, it is the Doomguy who beat the Titan in Taras Nabad by plunging his crucible (= Space Sword) in the demon's heart; not killing it but rendering it motionless.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yeah their codex entries are a bit too much this time around. I get that they love to write lore and don't really force players to go through all this if they don't want to, but it's almost mandatory if you want to understand what's going on. And they often read like bad D&D fanfiction.

Also, something I forgot to mention:
In the end, it is the Doomguy who beat the Titan in Taras Nabad by plunging his crucible (= Space Sword) in the demon's heart; not killing it but rendering it motionless.
This highlights that there's no real 'casual' way of following the story. You either go all in and read the lore entries, making you understand what's going on, or you tap out completely. I got an idea through the cutscenes but definitely not the full picture. I think in 2016 the lore provided added value for fans, but it was never reflected in what you're playing. Here the cutscenes are extensions of it and are an obvious nudge to read the lore dumps. It's weird when the gameplay takes the 2016 concept but turns it up to 11 in a coke-fueled daze, making extensive lore entries seem way more out of place. I'm sure there are people that welcomed them as a breather, but I never felt like pausing in between the action to read the 12-part history of the Sentinels.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
This highlights that there's no real 'casual' way of following the story. You either go all in and read the lore entries, making you understand what's going on, or you tap out completely. I got an idea through the cutscenes but definitely not the full picture. I think in 2016 the lore provided added value for fans, but it was never reflected in what you're playing. Here the cutscenes are extensions of it and are an obvious nudge to read the lore dumps. It's weird when the gameplay takes the 2016 concept but turns it up to 11 in a coke-fueled daze, making extensive lore entries seem way more out of place. I'm sure there are people that welcomed them as a breather, but I never felt like pausing in between the action to read the 12-part history of the Sentinels.
I only did that on my 2nd playthrough, I think you only need to do that if you're really interested, though. the game's plot is easily understandable without them.

1. earth is fucked, kill the hell priests, start with the first one
2. find the locator to find the second hell priest and kill him
3. intermezzo: the khan maykr increased demon activity on earth so you have to destroy the super gore nest
4. find hayden to locate the third hell priest
5. shoot a hole into the surface of mars
6. kill the third hell priest, find out that doomguy is the doomslayer
7. khan mykr activates the icon of sin, make your way to urdak to stop this
8. didn't manage to do this so kill the icon of sin after killing the khan maykr
9. on the way through the last few levels hayden explains to you in game why the maykr and demons work together, what role argent energy plays in this and how it's harvested

or to make it even simpler: stop the invasion by killing the hell priests and the icon of sin.

I think the story is not that hard to follow or at least not harder than 2016, you suddenly have ghosts of knights showing up there that are easily as confusing if you did not read the codexes back then.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I only did that on my 2nd playthrough, I think you only need to do that if you're really interested, though. the game's plot is easily understandable without them.

3. intermezzo: the khan maykr increased demon activity on earth so you have to destroy the super gore nest
8. didn't manage to do this so kill the icon of sin after killing the khan maykr
9. on the way through the last few levels hayden explains to you in game why the maykr and demons work together, what role argent energy plays in this and how it's harvested

or to make it even simpler: stop the invasion by killing the hell priests and the icon of sin.

I think the story is not that hard to follow or at least not harder than 2016, you suddenly have ghosts of knights showing up there that are easily as confusing if you did not read the codexes back then.
The story itself is pretty straightforward, but if you have only the slightest interest in knowing why you go here and there besides getting item X, you have to go through the Codex.

I like the fact that they kept cutscenes to a minimum, but the game doesn't introduce the places you visit and the characters you meet along the way very well. That's not a problem in itself, you don't need that to enjoy the game at all, but since id insists on having a more complex universe this time around, they could have done a better job at explaining it.

I still enjoyed the game immensely though, it's one of my favorite FPS.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Going back to DOOM 2016 after completing Eternal on UV and Nightmare is weird. 2016 feels so slow and a little clunky in comparison. Even on nightmare the game feels really easy too. The sounds of the guns are way worse / weaker. The super shotgun in Eternal is on another level.

The only thing I think I prefer in 2016 is the soundtrack, pretty much everything in Eternal is better.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm on my second playthrough of Doom Eternal and the first three levels really are abysmal. They made me hate the game, and it's like the maps were made by two separate teams. The platforming is also awful, and feels like a complete and utter chore. Fortunately everything from Super Gore Nest feels like a blast to play. It's just a shame the game isn't as polished as Doom 2016 - I enjoy each and every level in that game. Furthermore, the chainsaw should really have unlimited uses. Ammo such an issue on harder difficulties, and too many times I'm pressing the chainsaw button to find it's out of gas.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
The story is one of the areas where I think this game falls short. I also think this game starts on the wrong foot. Nothing is explained and a lot of lore is dumped on the player. I liked 2016's bare bones story approach much more.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Question for the folks that finished it already.

I'm at

right after you "awake" the Icon of Sin and start battling the drones in Urdak

How far I am from the ending?

The story is one of the areas where I think this game falls short. I also think this game starts on the wrong foot. Nothing is explained and a lot of lore is dumped on the player. I liked 2016's bare bones story approach much more.

Pretty much where I'm standing too. I like the story of Eternal, but it's not as easy to follow without going reading the lore codex entries, which makes me think why tf am I reading this much in a Doom game. Not a big deal though, sometimes it's enjoyable, but 2016 had the better approeach

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I'm at

Pretty much where I'm standing too. I like the story of Eternal, but it's not as easy to follow without going reading the lore codex entries, which makes me think why tf am I reading this much in a Doom game. Not a big deal though, sometimes it's enjoyable, but 2016 had the better approeach
You have one level and two bosses left.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm at

2 missions + 2 bosses

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree. In 2016 you could ignore the codex entirely and still have an idea of what's going on. The codex was good reading, but entirely optional. In Eternal, you have zero idea what's going on if you don't touch the codex. If you don't read all the material, everyone in this game just goes on and on about stuff you've never heard of.

It's oddly flawed storytelling. The narrative timeskip is fine, and I get that it doesn't want to treat you like an idiot by spoonfeeding you info that the doomguy should already know, but it goes too far in the other direction and doesn't do a good job of bridging the gap between what the doomguy knows and what the player knows.

I was just thinking how much the codex often reads like some sort of alternate universe Warhammer 40k lore. Like W40k, It's all comically over-the-top grimdark stuff that tries to stuff war, death, and endless suffering into every crevice.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I read more of the Codex entries this time naturally than compared to DOOM 2016 as a respite from the more frenetic combat.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
SniKegW.png

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the game just now. Fun stuff, though my reminiscing goggles lead me to believe I liked Doom 2016 more. That one felt more like a fleshed out campaign and was simpler in terms of combat; this one is gamey to the extreme and very inconsistent in art direction, tone and so on. Also, one thing I really disliked was that new monster introductions were missing, and here they spoiled the fun by having a fucking tutorial pop-up describing the enemy and its weak point(s). I mean, what the hell.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Finished the game just now. Fun stuff, though my reminiscing goggles lead me to believe I liked Doom 2016 more. That one felt more like a fleshed out campaign and was simpler in terms of combat; this one is gamey to the extreme and very inconsistent in art direction, tone and so on. Also, one thing I really disliked was that new monster introductions were missing, and here they spoiled the fun by having a fucking tutorial pop-up describing the enemy and its weak point(s). I mean, what the hell.

Oh, that's one thing I always forget to mention. I read in a preview that pop ups and tutorial were a bit too much so I turned them off at the beggining of the game and the pace is never broken. If I need to know how to use something, I go to the codex

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

the story isnt super complicated but i do think it throws people off at the start because its both in media res and revolves around concepts that were only found in 2016s codexes. People without context for a "hell priest" or "betrayer" are going to feel like theyre stuck on catchup

I found this summary of the story of Doom so far, but... uh...

That must be a typo, there's nothing like that in Eternal? Is that referring to the new ending in the Doom 64 port?
The plot to Doom 64 The Lost Levels is the sister to the Mother Demon tries to stop your hellwide rampage you start at the end of Doom 64 by teleporting you back to where you came. During the Lost Levels you fight through the UAC base you got dumped at to get back into hell (level 1), fight your way to the Mother Demons sister (the other levels), kill her so she cant kick you out again (the last level) and resume your rampage in hell (the ending)

Last edited:

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished it a few minutes ago.
I was playing it on TYTD with a controller on PC and I liked it better than DOOM 2016.

Its surplus on systems, mechanics and the upped difficulty is intimidating at first for sure.
The mediocre first expression didn't last too long in my case and in the 4th or 5th mission it all clicked for me. I think I could have even pumped up the difficulty level a notch halfway through the campaign but I guess I wanted to save that step in case I want to jump back in sometime.

The story, which I kind of totally neglected throughout my ~ 18 hours of playing it, is the weakest part of the game. Tonally it was okay, but didn't quite leave as good of an impression as 2016.

Everything else in Eternal feels better for me. Presentation, sound design, level design, gameplay, gunplay, speed. I even digged the platforming.

I like DOOM Eternal.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
So finished it, and, I am really torn about the game. As torn as an imp getting ripped apart by the doom slayer that picked up a berserk power up.

The good

- The guns feel incredible, they all just feel so good to shoot.
- Game looks great technically
- Game looks great artistically! There is so much more variety in levels compared to 2016. Huge improvement.
- Looking for secrets is addicting, and the soundtracks with nods to previous id games are fun. The unlock able cheats makes replaying levels a ton of fun
- Having fast travel unlock at the end of a level makes backtracking to mop up missed collectibles a breeze
- upgrades actually often change the way you play. Like enabling the super shotty grappling hook to give you armor means you can use it if you are low on armor to replenish. Thats great.
- music is stellar. Not the incredible high of 2016, but still really, really good.
- The combat loop can be great when you are in the right rhythm. The dash adds a lot.
- I like the platforming, it is a nice break of the action

The bad

- Difficulty levels are not well balanced imo. Hurt me plenty is too hard for a medium setting
- Game is...not great at the start when you have very little tools. Terrible first impression
- The combat loop while great when it clicks, can just as easily be very frustrating. It limits your options and forces you to use certain tools in certain situations, while 2016 you had more choice about what you wanted to use during combat.
- The boss fights are....not great. Khan maker and the doom hunter were fine, but the icon of sin and the gladiator where straight up not fun
- Level design is even more lineair than doom 2016. Doom 2016 had a couple of more free form open levels and I hoped they went farther into that direction, instead of the direct opposite.
- The story is bad. It takes itself way to serious and is way to convoluted. It's the polar opposite of the tone of 2016 which they nailed there. Imo the story even makes the story of 2016 worse by
making Samuel an alien and VEGA basically god? Sigh.
- enough has been said about the marauder but yeah...not a fan.
- The levels are too long, and since fasttravel is no longer unlocked when you redo a level, you sometimes have to do A LOT just to get to one collectible. Kinda baffling decision.
- The game runs A LOT worse than 2016 on my pc. That game ran at 90 fps on max settings, this game drops to mid 40s fps on medium settings. Disappointed in the performance.

So thats about just as many positive points as negative points and...thats kinda how i feel about this game. While it fixes my biggest gripe of 2016 (much better level variety, so so much better), I was not always a fan of the changes in combat flow. Overal I do not think its a bad game, and maybe if you look at it objectively eternal is a better game, but I definitely had way more fun with 2016. I hope that with the dlc/sequel they manage to find an in between that makes me enjoy the game more like how i enjoyed 2016.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
This game is so fucking fun. It took awhile to get used to the changes from 2016, but once I did I loved it. The art design is especially great, and a lot of the levels have beautiful colors.

Also, similar to Doom 2016, the Strafe button layout is the way to go.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
- The game runs A LOT worse than 2016 on my pc. That game ran at 90 fps on max settings, this game drops to mid 40s fps on medium settings. Disappointed in the performance.

What are your specs? I don't have the most powerful laptop (i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 GB) and I got mostly 60fps at 1080p with settings on High. Do you have any overlays such as the Steam Overlay on? Turning that off should give you ¬20fps boost. Obviously I can't run it on Ultra like I could 2016 but this game on High looks better to me than 2016 at Ultra anyway.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
What are your specs? I don't have the most powerful laptop (i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 GB) and I got mostly 60fps at 1080p with settings on High. Do you have any overlays such as the Steam Overlay on? Turning that off should give you ¬20fps boost. Obviously I can't run it on Ultra like I could 2016 but this game on High looks better to me than 2016 at Ultra anyway.

Trust me, I tried every trick in the book. Nothing worked. Strangely enough enabling steam overlay fps counter did...nothing for my fps, didn't decrease it. So I suspect that somehow the performance bug that kicks in if you use an overlay always kicks in for me. Judging from the performance thread I am also not the only one with that issue. After like 2 hours of troubleshooting I just said fuck it and rolled with it.

Alpende

Oct 26, 2017
Loving it so far, playing on Hard difficulty. Came across one encounter in one of the ice levels that was very narrow which gave me issues, skipped that one for now. I also skipped a Slayer Gate, gonna return later if I get more upgrades. This game makes you feel like a badass.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Agreed 100%.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Man they definitely need a difficulty between easy and medium. I just got to level three and I was getting torn up in medium, but the same fights were a piece of cake on easy. I don't mind a challenge, I found in Doom 2016 I died a fair bit but this is overwhelming.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Man they definitely need a difficulty between easy and medium. I just got to level three and I was getting torn up in medium, but the same fights were a piece of cake on easy. I don't mind a challenge, I found in Doom 2016 I died a fair bit but this is overwhelming.

Yeah, they need to make one between easy and normal, make that the new normal, current normal should be hard and everything moved up one step.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Indeed, it jumps massively in difficulty from easy to normal. But all in all, between being kicked in the ass regularly and absurdly easy...

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I assume the popups for weakpoints are a reaction to beta testing, considering how many people complain about the game being too difficult while refusing to lower the difficulty. imagine most players not knowing you can destroy the turrets on the arachnotrons.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my nightmare run, now onto the master levels? I do hope in dlc expansions they increase ammo count, because the auto shotty upgrade feels wasted, and even when you get the mastery upgrade to drop shotty ammo, super shotgun is superior...

Truly some of the best combat in a single player fps, I hope they only improve on combat in sequel, I really hope they don't regress the combat...

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017

I appreciate the recap but the game's plot is far from "easily understandable" without diving into the codex entries. Coming from Doom 2016... we are starting off by hunting hell priests, ok I get that but wtf is a hell priest and what is their relationship with the khan makyr, who is the khan makyr? what is argent and urdak and the icon of sin. So much new lingo is thrown at you and little of it makes sense without reading the codex entries. I know what I need to do in the mission but I don't know why.

Maybe it's just me because I have a beef with codex and audiolog story-telling in general but the appeal of Doom's story wasa that it was always easy to follow: Mars, Hell, Demons... and 2016's set-up a bigger story without confusing the shit out of me.

For example, I keep encountering battlefields where 2 groups of demons are fighting each other, I still don't know who is which side or whether it matters since it's the same set-up no matter what planet I am on.

But anyways, the combat rocks and that's what matters the most, it's just nice to know why the fuck I am blowing up these dudes over and over...

Oct 27, 2017
For example, I keep encountering battlefields where 2 groups of demons are fighting each other, I still don't know who is which side or whether it matters since it's the same set-up no matter what planet I am on.

Infighting between demons has been a thing since the very first Doom though. Otherwise I agree that the game suffers from taking its plot too seriously, stuffing too much lore and backstory into the datalog.