• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Before fully plunging into the final levels I'm going back and grabbing the last missing secrets because hell, there's less than five now... It's as if the game makers knew exactly what kind of game I wanted, I guess it really does remind me of older, much more fun shooters compared to the military sim crowd. I just really love everything about it while skipping the cutscenes.

Then again, there's nothing I can think of out there that compares to Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal, and that's fucking awesome.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
3/4 through the first level on Nightmare on PS4, but I'm finding my aim is compromised by the large deadzone on the sticks.

Considering the comprehensive customization options, no deadzone settings feels like an oversight. Here's hoping it gets added in a patch soon.

It won't be, just like they never added it to Doom 2016. Believe or not, there's only a very vocal minority that criticize it.... Most don't notice, don't care, or play on PC

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Finished it on Ultra Violence. 25 hours

I had a lot of fun with the final two bosses. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it.

It's.. not strictly a bad game. But it's not the sequel I expected and hoped for, and personally I did not enjoy or have as much fun with this as I did with 2k16.

The combat feels like they tried to put too much into it with all the weapon mods, the flame belcher, the grenades, chainsaw, glory kills, weak points etc., ultimately ending up with something that feels unnecessarily complex, especially when playing with a controller. Not bad, but 2k16 managed to perfectly balance the elegant simplicity of OG Doom's combat with modern combat. The combat in Doom Eternal felt overdesigned.

The story is a goddamn mess. I have no idea what the Hell that was all about. I have no idea who the Sentinels were, why their city/land fell, how they met the Maykrs, how the Maykrs set up their deal with Hell etc. The game suffers from the same problem Final Fantasy XIII did, where the game tries to push so much backstory and lore it ends up having a massive datalog it expects you to read.

The platforming is generally terrible too, and just mucks up the pacing of the game, just like the one enemy people love to hate, the Marauder. I would've been fine with the platforming if it wasn't so damn cumbersome. Like, the platforming sections in Exultia and Urdak? Straight up shit. It feels like the level design is very uneven in quality and design, like there were two different teams designing the levels, and both wanted to do different things with the level design. The levels also felt too long, and by the end of chapter 9 the game was just dragging on, and it had overstayed its welcome with me.

The Marauder is boring as fuck to fight too. He was fine as a one off boss fight, but using him as a regular enemy was just annoying.

The Khan Maykr fight was also straight up bad, with the limited ammo, flying boss, getting knocked off platforms, the floor is lava, her self-healing ability and having six lifebars you need to knock off. I had more trouble fighting her than the final boss.

Overall, it feels like id believed that 'bigger and more is better', but ultimately ended up with a game that I personally found to be a worse and lesser experience than its predecessor.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Finished it.

It's.. not strictly a bad game. But it's not the sequel I expected and hoped for, and personally I did not enjoy or have as much fun with this as I did with 2k16.

The combat feels like they tried to put too much into it with all the weapon mods, the flame belcher, the grenades, chainsaw, glory kills, weak points etc., ultimately ending up with something that feels unnecessarily complex, especially when playing with a controller. Not bad, but 2k16 managed to perfectly balance the elegant simplicity of OG Doom's combat with modern combat. The combat in Doom Eternal felt overdesigned.

The story is a goddamn mess. I have no idea what the Hell that was all about. I have no idea who the Sentinels were, why their city/land fell, how they met the Maykrs, how the Maykrs set up their deal with Hell etc. The game suffers from the same problem Final Fantasy XIII did, where the game tries to push so much backstory and lore it ends up having a massive datalog it expects you to read.

The platforming is generally terrible too, and just mucks up the pacing of the game, just like the one enemy people love to hate, the Marauder. I would've been fine with the platforming if it wasn't so damn cumbersome. Like, the platforming sections in Exultia and Urdak? Straight up shit. It feels like the level design is very uneven in quality and design, like there were two different teams designing the levels, and both wanted to do different things with the level design. The levels also felt too long, and by the end of chapter 9 the game was just dragging on, and it had overstayed its welcome with me.

The Marauder is boring as fuck to fight too. He was fine as a one off boss fight, but using him as a regular enemy was just annoying.

The Khan Maykr fight was also straight up bad, with the limited ammo, flying boss, getting knocked off platforms, the floor is lava, her self-healing ability and having six lifebars you need to knock off. I had more trouble fighting her than the final boss.

Overall, it feels like id believed that 'bigger and more is better', but ultimately ended up with a game that I personally found to be a worse and lesser experience than its predecessor.

I enjoyed the game, but I gotta agree - the Khan Maykr fight boss was pure bullshit

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Arc Complex is FUCKING EXHILARATING. Skill checking you off the jump. Non-stop demons with not a moment of downtime. Enemy groupings that haven't been seen yet that just throw me for a loop. I had to go outside and chill out for 5 min, collect myself, halfway through the Slayer Gate here. And the music...

Me, the first time that Arc Complex heavy nu metal riff kicks in: "OH MAN THIS IS DOPE"
Me, less than 20 minutes later, whenever it kicks in: "OH FUCK OH NO OH GOD"

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Arc Complex is FUCKING EXHILARATING. Skill checking you off the jump. Non-stop demons with not a moment of downtime. Enemy groupings that haven't been seen yet that just throw me for a loop. I had to go outside and chill out for 5 min, collect myself, halfway through the Slayer Gate here. And the music...

Me, the first time that Arc Complex heavy nu metal riff kicks in: "OH MAN THIS IS DOPE"
Me, less than 20 minutes later, whenever it kicks in: "OH FUCK OH NO OH GOD"

Oct 25, 2017
I think whoever called it a first person character action game was right on the money, unfortunately it's not that good of a character action game. Way too much platform filler that's neither challenging or interesting. Ranged fodder enemies that slowly drain your health with lucky shots. Too many things to manage, health, armor, blood punch, grenades, swords, BFG and the rest of the various ammo etc. I honestly don't think the marauders were bad but you are only effective with 2 weapons and they generally take more ammo than you have. They should have just lowered their hp a bit, 10 SSGs seems a bit excessive. It's fine but I wanted to like it a lot more than I did.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Battlemode is surprisingly fun. Games are fast and it's rather exhilarating to face two player demons with a miryad of summons. I also find it hilarious that during some games the demons aggressively chase the Slayer all over the map, and other times they just try to escape his wrath.

I've only played random matches, so no real communication with my demon partner, but I imagine that with a couple friends this could be really enjoyable.
Hmm, well it definitely piqued my curiosity if anything!

romey

Mar 2, 2020
Game took a while to click with me. But I think it's starting to pick up once I received the shotgun that has the hook. So sick.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

The first two times:

EA0315771770CF34C15928056753B78AB2C5A42E

Every time after that:

giphy.webp

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Just finished the game, hated the last boss. A lot.

Was playing on ultra violence but I just don't have it in me to repeat a gimicky, bad designed boss AGAIN, if you think Khan Makyr is bullshit, just wait...

If there is a sequel to this I won't be buying it day one, a few adjustments to Doom 2016 would have sufficed, but they just changed too much, this doesn't feel fun to play, the first 3 levels you're naked and then when you get the super shotgun they throw at you bullshit demons like the Doom Hunter and Marauder.

And that's without talking much about the platforming and diving which are abismal...

Overall this is a solid 7.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. Unfortunate. I didn't really enjoy much of it and it really ends on a very low note. I think the best of the game is probably like 30-50% of it. I bought Doom 2016 on sale and was day 1 for this...and I do not think I would be there for the sequel. Just baffling design in some spots. But they clearly had fun making it!

Was playing on ultra violence but I just don't have it in me to repeat a gimicky, bad designed boss AGAIN, if you think Khan Makyr is bullshit, just wait...

If there is a sequel to this I won't be buying it day one, a few adjustments to Doom 2016 would have sufficed, but they just changed too much, this doesn't feel fun to play, the first 3 levels you're naked and then when you get the super shotgun they throw at you bullshit demons like the Doom Hunter and Marauder.

And that's without talking much about the platforming and diving which are abismal...

Hah! My brother! I'd agree.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So if you activate the infinite ammo cheat, get the combat shotgun auto shot add on and just start firing infinitely the game crashes on the Doom Hunter base.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
this is pretty much a monkey's paw kind of game. everything i could have conceivably wished for in a doom 16 sequel but when the rubber hits the road i'm like "oh fuck"

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
I dunno, I love this game. Then again I play literally the exact same way as I did in doom 2016. With fast swapper, super shotgun and ballista I feel unstoppable even on nightmare.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Just finished it. Unfortunate. I didn't really enjoy much of it and it really ends on a very low note. I think the best of the game is probably like 30-50% of it. I bought Doom 2016 on sale and was day 1 for this...and I do not think I would be there for the sequel. Just baffling design in some spots. But they clearly had fun making it!

Hah! My brother! I'd agree.

Yeah, the worst part is that the game was exceptionally well received, so I guess they will just double down on this.

Another thing, I loved the "short" and sweet levels from the last game, a lot of the new levels overstayed their welcome and some of the last ones felt like padding and we're really bad designed.

It is a weird feeling, cause I fucking loved what I liked but hate with passion what I didn't like.

Lyon

Jun 5, 2019

As someone who really liked the last game, I can't help but agree. Admittedly I'm probably around the second level or so; but at this point in the last game I was really enjoying myself. Where as with Eternal, I feel like either playing through with cheats or uninstalling and watching story stuff on Youtube.
Something about the game jsut isn't clicking with me.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the monthly reward almost
Level 12/12
Unicorn 9/9
Marauder 6/6
Amber 3/6

hope for some nice new reward in 10 day's

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the things that are considered "baffling designs" just fly over my head because I don't get it.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy but it seems most people having issues with the game are playing on console/controller? Which I get towards the end the game starts to become really demanding with speed and accuracy.

I guess the things that are considered "baffling designs" just fly over my head because I don't get it.
I get the complaints, it's not so much baffling design it's more this game feels like it's designed with the intention you mastered 2016 first since a lot of the new stuff and execution demands are just things that expand past it.

Like the Ice nade is just the plasma rifle alt fire but nerfed in usage and buffed in what it does

Dashes and super shotty chain replace gauss riffle movement for the most part and enemy speed is designed with that much extra movement in mind now

sword replaces maxed chainsaw kills

chainsaw refilling and flame belch on a close cooldown with each other kinda replaces the rune that gave armor on executes while giving you more options to get armor

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Call me crazy but it seems most people having issues with the game are playing on console/controller? Which I get towards the end the game starts to become really demanding with speed and accuracy.

I get the complaints, it's not so much baffling design it's more this game feels like it's designed with the intention you mastered 2016 first since a lot of the new stuff and execution demands are just things that expand past it.
I mean it's a direct sequel. It's obviously open to be played to newcomers too, but they clearly wanted to build all on top of 2016.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I still can't feel the same "bad points" as many people. I am really enjoying the game as much as I'd hope I do. The Marauder is hard and a change of pace, but it's challenging hard, not infuriating hard (for me).

Man, I really love how they nailed the Archville. That guy in Doom 2 gave me nightmares, and they nailed the creepy feel of it here too. The fucker just stands there until you find him and freak out. And if he moves, he hides somewhere behind you. Fucker always creeps me.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's a direct sequel. It's obviously open to be played to newcomers too, but they clearly wanted to build all on top of 2016.
Oh I agree, I told a friend that 2016 was basically high budget modern brutal doom and this is them taking that and evolving it another step forward.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that got frustrated and annoyed at quite a few points in the game, I just did the khan maker which i feared would be a frustrating mess based on the reports here and...It was fine? jump atop a pillar, do 2 fully charged rocket baragges, meat hook, punch, go down to headshot a couple of drones, get back and top, and repeat this cycle 6 times. took less than 10 minutes. It was not very interesting but far from difficult or frustrating for me.

Hell yes they will and it will be great.

My hope is that they find a balance in future games/the dlc between the fun of 2016 and the mechanical heavy combat of eternal. Based on the split feedback from players (some hate it, others love it) I can see them doubling down on the systems on higher difficulties, while toning it down for lower difficulties. This would be the best for almost everybody I think.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
The marauder is actually very good. Buff totems are complete bullshot. Baffling inclusion to the combat system. Not sure what kind of decision making they are supposed to promote? Just run around like a lunatic to find the buff totem or die.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My hope is that they find a balance in future games/the dlc between the fun of 2016 and the mechanical heavy combat of eternal. Based on the split feedback from players (some hate it, others love it) I can see them doubling down on the systems on higher difficulties, while toning it down for lower difficulties. This would be the best for almost everybody I think.
The problem is most people I see that are complaining are playing on UV which is already the second hardest setting.

I think it would be cool to have the demons get more and more unique stuff as the difficulties go up in later versions like say make their weak point attacks appear in uv and up then in nightmare give demons super attacks that can be interrupted in different ways kinda like the marauder (shield thing would be unique to him obviously)

The marauder is actually very good. Buff totems are complete bullshot. Baffling inclusion to the combat system. Not sure what kind of decision making they are supposed to promote? Just run around like a lunatic to find the buff totem or die.
To be fair all but like 2 are less than 3 seconds away from the start of the fight

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is most people I see that are complaining are playing on UV which is already the second hardest setting.

I think it would be cool to have the demons get more and more unique stuff as the difficulties go up in later versions like say make their weak point attacks appear in uv and up then in nightmare give demons super attacks that can be interrupted in different ways kinda like the marauder (shield thing would be unique to him obviously)

To be fair all but like 2 are less than 3 seconds away from the start of the fight

I am 1000 % in favor of making difficulties in this game more than just tweaking damage numbers. For example easier difficulties could have higher ammo limits and give the marauder more openings to attack him in/remove the annoying dog. That will let people that want it basically play it as doom 2016 and fix a lot of the complaints, while others that love the current experience keep having that. With the split reaction to this game that's the best way forward I see.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that got frustrated and annoyed at quite a few points in the game, I just did the khan maker which i feared would be a frustrating mess based on the reports here and...It was fine? jump atop a pillar, do 2 fully charged rocket baragges, meat hook, punch, go down to headshot a couple of drones, get back and top, and repeat this cycle 6 times. took less than 10 minutes. It was not very interesting but far from difficult or frustrating for me.

The kahn mayker complaints are specifically for console because you need head shots on the drones, and that can be pretty tough in the heat of the battle with the fire floors and their dodging using a controller.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Right now I'm watching someone on PC against the final boss and to be fair, it does look amazing to watch, specially with mouse and keyboard, but I fucking hated it and it was not fun at all to do it.

Actually, all of the boss fights are annoying as fuck and pretty bad designed.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
For a while i figured were made to replace archviles after a level order got potentially shuffled around but theres still one near the end post-archville introduction so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was tired when I recorded this so the end is sloppy fat fingered the chainsaw instead of swapping to rockets and just derped but ya sloppy as hell but stillcleared in time so you should do it no problem :)

You can freeze them then run behind them and do massive damage to the sled with a blood punch at the back of it. Quickly destroy it with the SSG, then use a triple lock rocket barrage + ballista or mini-rockets to deal another amount of huge damage once he's unshielded and disconnected from the sled. I think that should be the fastest way to kill those guys.

Thanks!

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
This game is the Mirrors Edge of shooters. Takes a while to click, but when it clicks suddenly everything makes sense.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
After finishing my third playthrough (UV>Nightmare>Extra life UV) I just can't get the complaints at all, especially about the Marauder. One of the big ones I keep seeing about him is that he demands your attention but unlike something like the archville, outside of the start of Taras Nabad where it spawns with a cacodemon and Nekroval where it shows up with a whiplash it's literally the only thing that shows up on the field, fodder not included. If it showed up amidst a bunch of mancubus or tyrants maybe the focus it demands might be an issue but that's practically not the case in reality.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that's ok I guess, if you want less people to buy it?

I know I'll wait for the bargan bin or game pass for the next one.
This game sold almost as twice as Doom 2016 at launch, and a lot of people love it. Maxmillian rates it almost 10/10, Angry Joe 10/10, sitting at 89 for metascore. Clearly people don't enjoy it.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Right now I'm watching someone on PC against the final boss and to be fair, it does look amazing to watch, specially with mouse and keyboard, but I fucking hated it and it was not fun at all to do it.

Actually, all of the boss fights are annoying as fuck and pretty bad designed.
The bosses are trash in this game, there's really no way around that (I've played through the entire game multiple times). Also, compared to console play, PC play is so superior that it's almost broken — the accuracy of the aiming, the lightning fast weapon switching — It's almost an entirely new game.

The game was cleared designed around mouse and keyboard to the point that the discussion about difficulty shouldn't even be shared between the two camps.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, that's ok I guess, if you want less people to buy it?

I know I'll wait for the bargan bin or game pass for the next one.
I mean, if they do double down on the (superior) formula in Eternal as opposed to Doom 2016... They'll probably do it because any lost customers (you) would be offset by new customers.

Which, given the fact that your concern is due to the positive response they'll continue with this formula, seems likely.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This game sold almost as twice as Doom 2016 at launch, and a lot of people love it. Maxmillian rates it almost 10/10, Angry Joe 10/10, sitting at 89 for metascore. Clearly people don't enjoy it.

That's what happens when people play it on easy... Specially reviewers.

I played it on ultra violence all the way to the final boss, that's when I couldn't take it anymore and put it on easy just to be done with it, badly designed, gimmicky, overly long battle with tons of infinite spawning minions and awful platforming.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

I played it on ultra violence all the way to the final boss, that's when I couldn't take it anymore and put it on easy just to be done with it, badly designed, gimmicky, overly long battle with tons of infinite spawning minions and awful platforming.
The platforming really isn't bad for one, it's very similar to metroid prime actually. Also there is a mode between easy and hard to play on.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I played it on UV on a controller and loved every second.

But hey, apparently according to you that's not true.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The platforming really isn't bad for one, it's very similar to metroid prime actually. Also there is a mode between easy and hard to play on.

Yeah, it is actually like MP, but MP is not a fast pace shooter, is an exploration game.

I played it on UV on a controller and loved every second.

But hey, apparently according to you that's not true.

Clearly, that's my opinion, I'm not talking for you or anybody else.