• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Is this game playable (enjoyable) using controller? Thinking of buying X1X version but having played every Doom series on PC using mouse/keyboard, I am a bit hesitant on buying a console version.

game feels and looks great on X1X, tough i definitely feel a bit limited on gamepad.
playing on "hurt me plenty" at chapter 3 and it already feels a bit tough (still enjoyable)
im sure i would be rage quitting a lot at higher diffuculties

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Well I enjoyed it but there are issues. For one the game balance feels very off on consoles, the gameplay just can't keep up with controller usage on higher difficulties and even on easiest setting it can be overwhelming and some aspects extra difficult just because of the control method used. The platforming... yikes, some is fine but there was alot of platforming puzzles that felt like garbage reminding me of the recent Jedi Fallen Order where the stupid jumping platform puzzles were more difficult than anything in the game purely because of controls and what felt like a game not really suited for such extremes. Doom has always had puzzles and some minor platforming, but some of the stuff in this felt just annoying and really made some of the pacing in parts seem disjointed.

The game was fantastic otherwise, the encounter design felt a bit cluttered and I think really in many situations they should have reduced the amount of the extra respawning fodder enemies who often just got in the way. Try to dash dodge an attack and no, you are stopped by random grunt who had spawned behind you and you never could see. In tight arenas and corridors you would just get stuck on fodder which you can't totally keep up on cause the game spawns them randomly out of your vision so as you are battling a big bad, you suddenly have zombies and other fodder all around you and screwing with your jumps and dashes making combat at times feel sloppy and constrained. At the same time so many random fodder made things feel almost too easy at parts as you always had so much plentiful ammo and health just shambling around. Why I really would have liked to see less clutter of the grunt types in spots.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just booting the game up now and then to play some UV and damn the second slayer gate put me in my place. The Mancubus was no real danger on hmp but now getting the weakpoints and staying at a distance is pretty much a must. Same with the spiders. At the end of the second gate 3 spawn and it's basically just running around and sniping the turrets. The benefit though is that regular encounters become a bit easier because the gates are more intense.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
I love Samuel Hayden's back and forth with the doom slayer and he was sorely missed prior to his release. He's the straight guy to doom guys absurd madness:

That is a weapon not a teleporter

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
Finished it last night on UV difficulty and after getting thru the first couple of levels, the game finds its groove pretty quickly and doesn't let up til the very end. After you get enough equipment to deal with most of the encounters and after you figure out how to deal with the marauder, I had only one complaint that persisted with me thru the entire game, and that is during a fight getting stuck on something and not being able to move. Running around the battlefield and reassessing your position, dealing with the enemies and their weak points is a great way to not die. Every once in awhile, I'd dash and get stuck on some sort of level geometry, a zombie i didn't see that came around the corner or.....something and get stuck in the ground. At the higher difficulties, not moving for that brief moment might as well mean I lose a 1up because that instantly made everyone in the arena hone and and destroy doom guy. That was the only time I'd ever lose, and since the battle speed is so high, I could never figure out if it was my fault or not.

Another thing I've been thinking about with some of the complaints about having too little ammo or the battles being too hard and what not is what control method people were using to play the game with. I played with both a controller and a keyboard and I cannot fathom playing some of the later levels with a controller. It's just not precise enough to deal with the level of speed you need to pull off weakness shots and what not. Weapon switching, pulling off precise sniping whilst running around the battle field etc. My enjoyment went up considerably after I put the controller down for good and just used a mouse.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I would say there are times in later levels where it feels like you're battling the controller, like how the game gives the enemy weak points that you have to hit with accuracy when you're meant to never stop moving. But I might need to fiddle with my sensitivity on the controller a little.

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Just finished the game. Huge disappointment for me.
- levels are too long
- I don't feel the weapons are nearly as good as in 2016
- the platforming is just unnecessary
- the weakpoint stuff certainly isn't designed with a controller in mind
- the story stuff is just horrible

I still had some fun. The game looks great and demons getting hit change their look so radically.

Personally I vastly prefer Doom 2016, but it looks like Eternal has its fans. Which is totally fine.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I could have lowered the difficulty yet there some arenas at the final level where like i could have just used the BFG and yet like I actually wanted to complete it with out the cheese (and maybe save it when really needed)...it seems doable from the layouts I've seen.

An hour later, I finally get through a breakthrough, the Marauder appears and I'm like "Oh fuck, I should have just used the BFG from the start."

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I would say there are times in later levels where it feels like you're battling the controller, like how the game gives the enemy weak points that you have to hit with accuracy when you're meant to never stop moving. But I might need to fiddle with my sensitivity on the controller a little.
The only time I felt this was an issue was trying to headshot the Maykr drones during the Khan Maykr bossfight. It was way too frantic.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Man the difficulty spike after you get the BFG was pretty crazy for me. Had to lower difficulty. Oh well.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of this game reminds me of Metroid Prime for some reason, specifically 3. I think it's the overall aesthetic of neon glowy stuffs combined with the emphasis on first-person platforming, but little touches like the way Doomguy holds his gun when you get too close to a wall give me similar vibes as well.
...holy shit.

Some years ago, I wondered how Nintendo would make their own traditional first person shooter. I think this game is it.

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
That rune that slows down time when you use the weapon alt is an absolute godsend.

yeah, I jump ever so slightly and aim down sights with the heavy cannon and the slow down lasts long enough to consistently headshot two of them. Failing that, freeze bomb and super shotgun their heads.

The electric lava floor in that fight though 😭

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
yeah, I jump ever so slightly and aim down sights with the heavy cannon and the slow down lasts long enough to consistently headshot two of them. Failing that, freeze bomb and super shotgun their heads.

The electric lava floor in that fight though 😭
I'm stuck on that section as well, and I've left it there for today. I feel like I can't play this game for hours on end, there's a certain stamina to it.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
One track from the endgame that I particularly loved:

This is otherwordly done right. You feel like you SHOULD NOT be there.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
after numerous attempts I finally beat the first level on UN.
there is a little trick to UN, though, if you pick the revive rune you can altF4 the game and you can at least restart on the same level
I've got reliable strats for the first mission with the habit. First arachnotron I chainsaw for instance.
But starting at level 2 and especially 3, the rooms get a bit too brutal for your shit loadout. I'm done with UN, it's just not enjoyable.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I've got reliable strats for the first mission with the habit. First arachnotron I chainsaw for instance.
But starting at level 2 and especially 3, the rooms get a bit too brutal for your shit loadout. I'm done with UN, it's just not enjoyable.
I started to just blast the arachnotrons and hellknights with the full auto shotgun.
never used that mod on my normal UV run.
I like UN so far honestly, never finished the first UN level in D16, but Eternal is just so much more fun I can see myself spending a bit more time with it.

Oct 27, 2017
Thought I had Icon of Sin on my first try, but I took too long and was swarmed by Cacodemons. 5th time was the charm.

Having just completed the game, I think it's a worthy follow up to 2016 and I look forward to some campaign DLC. No complaints from me in terms of platforming, which I see that some didn't like. I was ready to denounce Marauders as a bad addition to the game but I eventually got the hang of them; that first minute of the initial encounter had me spooked though. Really, any initial concerns or problems I had were dulled by the end of the game.

The only thing I'm frustrated with is my own choices. When I was looking at my arsenal at the end, I thought "could've used that mod a lot more than I did". I definitely had my favourites. The good news is I can try things differently next time.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
finally beat my initial playthrough, on nightmare. such a great game, god damn

there's no way to view death count, is there? mine's gotta be huge

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
So the first buff totem is actually kinda dumb because the tools tip implies you should find it and destroy it right away (which is true in every other scenario), but in the first scenario you need to kill some enemies first and the arena will shift and then you can find it. The tutorialization is kinda bunk.
You'll see it locked behind bone. You have to kill demons before you can get to it.

Thank you fellas!

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Goddammit this game would be a 10/10 if it wasn't for the final boss. I thought people were exaggerating but Jesus it was fucking bad. It really had to summon the toughest motherfuckers as adds? At least don't include the snakes. Fuck those guys. This fight took me like an hour. For the first time the game offered me sentinel armor but I didn't take it. I really hope we don't get anything like that again in the next game. It just wasn't fun.

That aside, the game is amazing overall. I normally don't even like the FPS genre and even had buyer's remorse when I bought 2016 on a Black Friday sale. But after playing it I was blown away, and Eternal is better in pretty much every way. Someone described it as the DMC of first person shooters and that's so accurate and probably why I like it so much. Not sure if I'll play it on Nightmare because the final boss just sucked that much, but I had a fucking blast. 9.9999999/10 shitty final boss.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have infinite sword and blood punch on the last boss.
The first phase was worse because his attacks are absolutely dumb. Second phase was more tolerable.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Reached the point of no return, and honestly, I think the difficulty levels could have been better balanced. Normal is too tough for a normal level difficulty. Would have been better to maybe add another level between normal and hard, make that one as difficult as normal is now, and make normal easier. Keep the harder difficulty levels as is for people that want a real challenge and be forced to use all systems optimal, but have normal there for people that want something similar in challenge to doom 2016. And easy for people that want to be able to basically ignore the systems and just shoot demons.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I really, really hate the Marauder. He just does not jive with this game on certain occasions.
I try to save BFG ammo specifically for him because he's such a pain to deal with. If you can get the timing right, Frag Grenades work well for stunning him so he can't shield the BFG blast

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
im only 3 levels in.... so far a bit disappointing, i don't mind platforming but it's a bit too much trial and error, objectives/where to go next is often not intuitive and the combat gameplay/arsenal of weapons is more complex than i would have liked... and the story, wow, they became the very thing they made fun of in 2016's opening.

it's a vastly different game than 2016, its nice that they pushed the envelope but I don't think this is what i was looking for.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
im only 3 levels in.... so far a bit disappointing, i don't mind platforming but it's a bit too much trial and error, objectives/where to go next is often not intuitive and the combat gameplay/arsenal of weapons is more complex than i would have liked... and the story, wow, they became the very thing they made fun of in 2016's opening.

it's a vastly different game than 2016, its nice that they pushed the envelope but I don't think this is what i was looking for.

For what its worth, the first 3 levels are terrible. Try the 4th and 5th out and if you still don't like it, then yeah it might not be what you are looking for.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Goddammit this game would be a 10/10 if it wasn't for the final boss. I thought people were exaggerating but Jesus it was fucking bad. It really had to summon the toughest motherfuckers as adds? At least don't include the snakes. Fuck those guys. This fight took me like an hour. For the first time the game offered me sentinel armor but I didn't take it. I really hope we don't get anything like that again in the next game. It just wasn't fun.

That aside, the game is amazing overall. I normally don't even like the FPS genre and even had buyer's remorse when I bought 2016 on a Black Friday sale. But after playing it I was blown away, and Eternal is better in pretty much every way. Someone described it as the DMC of first person shooters and that's so accurate and probably why I like it so much. Not sure if I'll play it on Nightmare because the final boss just sucked that much, but I had a fucking blast. 9.9999999/10 shitty final boss.
you can chop, slice and punch every add, theres tons of fuel, crucibles and fists around.
the only thing I did not like about the final boss was that the 2 phases are basically the same.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
For what its worth, the first 3 levels are terrible. Try the 4th and 5th out and if you still don't like it, then yeah it might not be what you are looking for.

I'll for sure keep going... probably beat it as well, I'm having fun, and the differences make it such an odd game that I want to keep playing... 2k16 was just such a breath of fresh air, wish we got one more iteration like that before re-inventing the game.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have infinite sword and blood punch on the last boss.
The first phase was worse because his attacks are absolutely dumb. Second phase was more tolerable.
Is it really infinite? I noticed the BFG ammo wasn't so I assumed that was the case for the others too. Could I have just gone ham with the Crucible?

Talos

Mar 5, 2019
Is fast travel available at the end of each level? Replaying the game on extra life mode and want to just keep the battle momentum going before using fast travel to mop up any secrets. However, on my first run I seem to remember some levels just ending after the final battle without a chance to fast travel.

Do only certain levels have fast travel? Or did I just miss the prompt?

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Is fast travel available at the end of each level? Replaying the game on extra life mode and want to just keep the battle momentum going before using fast travel to mop up any secrets. However, on my first run I seem to remember some levels just ending after the final battle without a chance to fast travel.

Do only certain levels have fast travel? Or did I just miss the prompt?
You just missed the prompt. Happened to me on my first run too lol.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Phew, finished. My favorite boss fight was easily in Urdak, felt like fighting a Vanquish boss with all that rocket dashing I was doing.

What song used the 'Metal Choir'? The song outside the priests' chamebrs?

I enjoyed it enough, and I liked the backstory once I understood it better. I feel like it's not as focused as the 2016, new monsters don't feel as awe-inspiring since they just show up in the middle of a melee, or worse, in a special area before you even see them in the regular game. But when a new one showed up in 2016, fear.

Darin DePaul is Samuel, no wonder his voice is amazing.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Already posted?

Original Archvile entrance is still the game.
God, I wish one day Hugo Martin will be free to talk about what the fuck happened during the development of this game.