• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

giblet

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's a flaw, I just think it's kinda annoying combat design, haha. Considering the BFG is the big ol' grandaddy of superweapons in the Doom series and can knock out basically every other enemy one shot, the Marauder blocking it just heightens my hatred for the Marauder, really :p
You don't need it really, just pretend you're playing Goldeneye, Golden Gun. :)

Pro tip: BFG him twice in a row, he can't block in two directions.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So who or what you guys think
is the giant makyr body towards the end of Urdak? My theory: it's the preserved body of the Khan Makyr that was supposed to replace the current one. Since VEGA was uploaded into Urdak's systems, I could see VEGA taking posession of that body in the next game.

Oct 27, 2017
is the giant makyr body towards the end of Urdak? My theory: it's the preserved body of the Khan Makyr that was supposed to replace the current one. Since VEGA was uploaded into Urdak's systems, I could see VEGA taking posession of that body in the next game.

Are you talking about the
body in the water
? I haven't gotten there myself yet, but I watched a YT video last speculating that it might be
the preserved body of the very first Khan Makyr made, preserved in reverence.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Are you talking about the
body in the water
? I haven't gotten there myself yet, but I watched a YT video last speculating that it might be
the preserved body of the very first Khan Makyr made, preserved in reverence.
Yes, the body in the water. I watched that video but I'm not convinced by that theory tbh. Although I do like the idea that it might be the body of the Father, preserved indefinitely after he transfered his conciousness into Urdak.

Oct 28, 2017
That secret encounter before you
retrive your crucible
can piss right off. That is the most bullshit enemy you can't even hit if he decides not to give you the right moves while the timer ticks away. What a load of BS.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That secret encounter before you
retrive your crucible
can piss right off. That is the most bullshit enemy you can't even hit if he decides not to give you the right moves while the timer ticks away. What a load of BS.
Just do that encounter later with cheats activated and save yourself the hassle.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Finished the game. Probably the best FPS singleplayer game I've ever played.

Need to take a break from gaming for a day or two just to rest. Started the game on Sunday, and 100% it today on Nightmare without using any of the cheats. I am super tired now and have probably lost 4 kilos from all the sweating.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
finally finished the game on nightmare mode. for me, one of the best first person shooters since a really long time. some rough edges but much better than the 2016 edition. a few bosses were a bit meh but the whole game is just awesome.

arena shooting with oldschool roots but modern influences. love that the game pushes the player often and tests your skills. tense as fuck, adrenaline pumping arcade style goodness.

my only gripe is the music...i just don´t like it at all, same as 2016 Doom. would have liked a more sinister electro style music.

solid 9/10

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Finally got through the part in Taras Nabad that was driving me nuts, now I'm finishing the collectible hunt before I end the level.

To be clear: is it possible to finish the level and then return with cheats on to help complete the secret encounters? and it won't fuck with the rest of my game? I don't feel like wasting the two lives I have if I fuck it up.

I also don't ever want to come back here. Horrid level.

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got through the part in Taras Nabad that was driving me nuts, now I'm finishing the collectible hunt before I end the level.

To be clear: is it possible to finish the level and then return with cheats on to help complete the secret encounters? and it won't fuck with the rest of my game? I don't feel like wasting the two lives I have if I fuck it up.

You can select the level from mission select and activate cheats, yes. Dunno if it works for secret encounters but I think so, I think the cheats only disable Slayer Gates. And no, it shouldn't fuck up the rest of your game.

Also, if you wanna go back and finish up secrets, now is the time to do it. The next level after Taras Nabad is point of no return.

And Taras Nabad kinda sucks, yeah.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Yes, you can come back later with cheats activated and complete secret encounters. You can't do Slayer Gates with cheats tho, you gotta do those the hard way.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Think i am about 75 % done with the game, really like it but i still prefer 2016. Let's see if the final 25 % will tip it over or if 2016 reigns supreme.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yes, you can come back later with cheats activated and complete secret encounters. You can't do Slayer Gates with cheats tho, you gotta do those the hard way.

Nice. Thanks guys.

I did all the slayer gates and found those to be a fucking delight.

It's just that this level kicked my ass, made me burn through all my lives and now I don't want to lose anymore on these secret encounters. I'm nervous.

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Thanks guys.

I did all the slayer gates and found those to be a fucking delight.

It's just that this level kicked my ass, made me burn through all my lives and now I don't want to lose anymore on these secret encounters. I'm nervous.

Just go to Exultia from the mission select menu, drop down from the starting point for an extra life, exit level and repeat to grind extra lives. I did that last night after Taras Nabad ate most of my extra lives, and I'm on 50 extra lives now, lol.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017

It has the same physiology, sure, but it's like twice the size of the current Khan.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
So, now that the game is over... Just some stupid theories...

Since Hell and Heaven were wrecked pretty significantly, is the next game going to take place in Purgatory, at least partially? Perhaps we go there to recover something that could repair our broken world.

Will the Dark Lord of Hell be introduced? Seems a pretty straightforward way to end a trilogy of awesome games by fighting Satan.

Did we mess up majorly by giving Heaven to Hayden? Considering he basically was partly responsible for the actions of UAC?

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Started my third playthrough today on Nightmare this time, just beat the Doom Hunters, was literally shaking at one point in the fight lol

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Just go to Exultia from the mission select menu, drop down from the starting point for an extra life, exit level and repeat to grind extra lives. I did that last night after Taras Nabad ate most of my extra lives, and I'm on 50 extra lives now, lol.

Ah, thank you.

Good tip. I wasn't sure if lives even respawned in mission select since I hadn't used it yet.

Will probably do this before trying to tackled the last bit.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The last mission legit gave me a wonderful headache. I hadn´t been that focused since my exams on university lmao

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
can someone tell me what the program on the right does?...I can't seem to access it...

KbPU5av.png

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
p6p59eX.png

I didn't get that that was supposed to be a mech on the left until Hugo Martin pointed it out in that NoClip interview, I just assumed it was a statue.

Which got me thinking...

Could we pilot a mech in the sequel? Maybe fight a Dark-Lord-Mecha, and then once we've wrecked each other's armour go mano a mano/gun to gun.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
These Marauder fights are just feeling like attrition. What the hell am I doing wrong? They take forever to kill and completely ruin the pacing for me.

Oct 27, 2017
cool...thanks...is that just an Easter Egg or is there a way for people to figure out the code through the Codex logs etc?

I don't think it's referred to in any of the logs, but it's an easter egg referring to Doomguy's name in the batshit crazy Doom novels (with Doomguy, Mormons and Alien species fighting the demons). Same goes for the comics you can find in Doomguy's lair, which are published by Taggart Publications (or whatever the name was).

doom.fandom.com

Doom novels

The Doom novels are a series of four officially licensed books, written by Dafydd ab Hugh and Brad Linaweaver. They were released by Pocket Books between June 1995 and January 1996. They were reissued in 2005 with new cover paintings. The four titles, Knee-Deep in the Dead, Hell on Earth...

Oct 27, 2017
p6p59eX.png

I didn't get that that was supposed to be a mech on the left until Hugo Martin pointed it out in that NoClip interview, I just assumed it was a statue.

Which got me thinking...

Could we pilot a mech in the sequel? Maybe fight a Dark-Lord-Mecha, and then once we've wrecked each other's armour go mano a mano/gun to gun.

As someone who considers both Doom games and Titanfall 2 as 3 of their top 5 for the gen, this would be unbelievable.

Oct 25, 2017
p6p59eX.png

Which got me thinking...

Yeah I'm thinking that as the crucible was in 2016, these are teasers for what's to come later.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
As someone who considers both Doom games and Titanfall 2 as 3 of their top 5 for the gen, this would be unbelievable.

Finally played Titanfall 2 last year when I got a month of Origin Access for free, was a great single-player campaign, shame it got fucked over by its release date and lack of marketing. I still remember this salty exchange:

And, sadly, after all this, Titanfall's future seems uncertain. "We don't know yet," replies Zampella when asked if they would make a third Titanfall. "The game is, critically, a huge success. We're really happy with all the reviews and the positive sentiment. Sales, it's too early to tell.

"We'd definitely like to tell more of the story and the universe. I think it's pretty safe to assume that we'll explore more of it. EA might have announced more. Devin?"

At this point, Devin Bennett, a publicist for EA, interjects, "What we've said is we're committed to the franchise."

"So, whatever the f*** that means," retorts the Respawn CEO.

Nice. Can that meathook swing only be pulled off with the air control rune? Interesting that as the Tyrant gets damaged he reveals a metal eye socket, I guess that's a Terminator reference.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Finally played Titanfall 2 last year when I got a month of Origin Access for free, was a great single-player campaign, shame it got fucked over by its release date and lack of marketing. I still remember this salty exchange:

Nice. Can that meathook swing only be pulled off with the air control rune? Interesting that as the Tyrant gets damaged he reveals a metal eye socket, I guess that's a Terminator reference.

This whole time I thought those were cyberdemons.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Why am I not receiving XP for any single player content anymore? Been like this for days.

5PgNs16

please tell me I'm not the only one

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
unpopular opinion but a game franchise built on the simple concept of "shoot it until it dies" shouldn't have bosses that require dark souls level of strategy/reactions while blocking all of your shots.

The Marauder and Gladiator(who im currently stuck at) feel 100% designed around a control set up not possible on console and that really pisses me off, especially when the fights would be pretty fair one-on-one but they never are, especially with that fucking wolf that feels put in just to over design the encounters to be as difficult as possible for pc players.