• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
The Icon is Sin died too. But he got better.
Easy to walk anything off thanks to hell mumbo jumbo. Just say some weird shit followed by "somehow the mother demon returned" and it's fine.

True. Hayden seemingly had a pickled Mother Demon larvae in a jar in Doom 2k16, soo...

And yay for the Monty Python reference. As for the Icon of Sin, he was just pining for the fjords.

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
I'm on the cultist base mission, so the 3rd mission I think? Just unlocked the super shotty. Enjoying the game a lot, had Doom 2016 in my backlog so decided to install it last night, contemplating whether I should put Eternal on hold and finish 2016 first. Thoughts?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The final boss has left SUCH a bad taste on my mouth. It's beyond me how people come away feeling good about this game after finishing it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dang it. This stupid secret encounter with The Marauder in one of the late levels is really irritating. I can beat them but not really quickly. :(

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the cultist base mission, so the 3rd mission I think? Just unlocked the super shotty. Enjoying the game a lot, had Doom 2016 in my backlog so decided to install it last night, contemplating whether I should put Eternal on hold and finish 2016 first. Thoughts?

On the one hand, 2016 is still cool, looks good, and the level design philosophy is different (harder secrets, more backtracking across Central areas, more downtime) and the story is better. But on the other hand, the encounters are smaller and the moveset less diverse, making fights not quite as fun or smooth. I'd say play it first but it should still be fun to play second, just to see the difference.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
this one is really poorly explained because the tutorial tells you that killing enemies is no use because the spawn endlessly because of the totem but you actually need to kill them to activate the teleporters that take you to the totem
That's why I died a few times in that room. I tried to run past the enemies looking for a way into the totem room instead of killing them.

Eventually I was like "fuck it" and shot them, and only then did the stupid teleporters open.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Man, first time in the game I'm legitimately stuck, on Taras Nabad

The battle sequence after retrieving the crucible from the titan. My checkpoint there is not the greatest, since I have ~75 health and low ammo for most of my power weapons. Luckily there is a chainsaw gas can there. But man, there isn't a lot of room to work with, and with the marauder, it makes it really really tough. Is the strategy to take out the other big guys (cyber mancubus, whiplash) first and then focus going one-on-one with the marauder?

Nov 8, 2017

The battle sequence after retrieving the crucible from the titan. My checkpoint there is not the greatest, since I have ~75 health and low ammo for most of my power weapons. Luckily there is a chainsaw gas can there. But man, there isn't a lot of room to work with, and with the marauder, it makes it really really tough. Is the strategy to take out the other big guys (cyber mancubus, whiplash) first and then focus going one-on-one with the marauder?

My routine was

2 rockets at cyber mancubus, land on him and bloodpunch for the instantkill at that point. Then run up the stairs and fight the whiplash as best you can with what you have.

With low ammo that might be tougher. Are you making good use of cryo-nades etc? The arena does have a moderate amount of space to run around if you have to put distance, but the marauder will be the real issue yeah.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
anzq7tfg5xp41.png

lmao

Aug 28, 2019

Yes, don't even try to deal with the marauder until the others are dead. I also had low ammo, so I ran up and got the gas can, chainsawed the mancubus (I forget if it takes two or three fuel), then froze the whiplash and ran up the stairs to kill it quickly.

Don't forget there's a small upper ledge you can jump to, and you can also retreat down to the lower level as well, though the marauder will follow you.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Is there a known bug with the difficulty completed UI for Super Gore Nest or any other stage? I am replaying all the stages on Ultra violence after beating it on Hurt Me plenty and they're all showing UV after I do it except Super Gore Nest. I've beaten it twice now and it remains as Hurt Me plenty. I guess it doesn't matter that much since there's no achievement or anything but it's irritating seeing HMP in the mission select

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for the secret encounter on Urdak with the Cyber-Mancubus and the two Makyr Drones? The time they give you for it is way too tight.

Or maybe I could replay the level later and just have cheats activated. :P It's what I did with the secret encounter with the Marauder on Taras Nabad.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Gonna try reposting once more:

Beat Hell on Earth and Exultia and did the demon prison and I'm not getting the objective marker for Cultist Base. I'm at the Fortress of Doom just fucking running around with nothing to do - having beat the other two missions like 3 fucking times each now - and seemingly no way to advance.

I already started a new game and I'm back at this same shit. I've watched all the walkthrough videos. My objective never switches to Cultist Base after completing all the other shit and I can't open the portal to that mission because I just melee the controls. All I can do is replay the other two missions and run around the Fortress of Doom.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Surprised at the amount of achievements/trophies that are bugged in this. Really wanted that platinum but looks like that won't happen.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Gonna try reposting once more:

Beat Hell on Earth and Exultia and did the demon prison and I'm not getting the objective marker for Cultist Base. I'm at the Fortress of Doom just fucking running around with nothing to do - having beat the other two missions like 3 fucking times each now - and seemingly no way to advance.

I already started a new game and I'm back at this same shit. I've watched all the walkthrough videos. My objective never switches to Cultist Base after completing all the other shit and I can't open the portal to that mission because I just melee the controls. All I can do is replay the other two missions and run around the Fortress of Doom.

What system are you playing this on? I've read that the the console version lets you play the first two levels before the game finishes downloading. If you're playing the console verison, did your download actually complete? Make sure that your game's final install size is correct.

I've also read someone who has run in to a similar glitch by finding a Praetor Token before they were supposed to.:

I haven't ran into either issue, so I don't have a definitive solution for you.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Fuck the Arc Complex encounter with the Berserk power-up.

If you don't use it at the perfect time, you just get legit stunlocked by a swarm of Whiplashes and there was nothing I could do about it. And then a ton of other demons start spawning in afterwards.

I managed to beat it by killing literally everything in the encounter with Berserk as soon as the snakes started showing up, and it was insane watching like six Whiplashes, four Prowlers, two Pinkys, a shitload of imps and soldiers, and like three Mancubi get ripped apart one after the next after the next after the next as I desperately mashed the right stick. I'm amazing that Berserk lasted as long as it did. I dunno what I would've done if it has times out sooner.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
Fuck the Arc Complex encounter with the Berserk power-up.

If you don't use it at the perfect time, you just get legit stunlocked by a swarm of Whiplashes and there was nothing I could do about it. And then a ton of other demons start spawning in afterwards.

I managed to beat it by killing literally everything in the encounter with Berserk as soon as the snakes started showing up, and it was insane watching like six Whiplashes, four Prowlers, two Pinkys, a shitload of imps and soldiers, and like three Mancubi get ripped apart one after the next after the next after the next as I desperately mashed the right stick. I'm amazing that Berserk lasted as long as it did. I dunno what I would've done if it has times out sooner.

You can finish the encounter without using the power up, but it definitely makes it easier. Do you utilize your ice grenade on Whiplashes when you fight them (the game actually tells you to do that when you first encounter them)? Also, your two grenade types don't share cooldowns so you can alternate between both.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I did soooo embarrassingly bad against the Gladiator. I had to use two extra lives. I couldn't dodge its attacks for some reason.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

This is exactly where I was at today when I turned the game off. First time I've been legit frustrated by it.

Also had a glitch where I got stuck and couldn't move earlier and lost some lives. I was like "oh, whatever" and restarted from checkpoint, only to find doing so doesn't give you your lives back. Brilliant.

Everything about this level so far has soured my experience. It's crazy.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Heres a protip i learned:

Heavy cannon is your best friend for geting glory kills on the small frys
Possessed: 2 shots to glory kill
Imp: 2 shots to glory kill
Zombie: 3 to 4 shots
Gargoyle: 2 to 3 shots
Cyber zombie: 5 shots

Helped me out when i was in dire need of health

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
You can finish the encounter without using the power up, but it definitely makes it easier. Do you utilize your ice grenade on Whiplashes when you fight them (the game actually tells you to do that when you first encounter them)? Also, your two grenade types don't share cooldowns so you can alternate between both.
I usually try to, but there were so many of them coming at you at once that freezing one doesn't make much of a difference.

Part of the problem was probably that my go-to way to deal with Pinkys has been to use the grenades so I don't have to waste time chasing their backsides, which put my grenades on cooldown when I needed them more, so I should get better about saving my resources for when it really matters.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
From what i exsperienced handling the doom hunter is easier than that.
Bust his shield with plasma get in the with the ssg vlast him twice (dont forget to dash out to avoid melee!) Wait for him to go floating and repeat

I don't think the point of that is to demonstrate what is necessary to kill the doom hunter, it's more to just show off what you are capable of with this game's kit and how creative and aggressive you can be with it.

You can actually just turret chaingun the damn thing's sled without even popping the shield. There's many ways to handle him (as well as every demon).

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Good thing I stocked up on lives before tackling the endgame. Already burned through 5 lives in Urdak and I'm nowhere near the end lol

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Finished it and I was expecting a phase three for the final boss but then it ends and I was ready for more.

A question for the ending
So I'm surprised no tease like the end of doom 2016 on what comes next. Do you guys think a third one will come and what will happen? Also is vega now offically gone too?

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
What system are you playing this on? I've read that the the console version lets you play the first two levels before the game finishes downloading. If you're playing the console verison, did your download actually complete? Make sure that your game's final install size is correct.

I've also read someone who has run in to a similar glitch by finding a Praetor Token before they were supposed to.:

I haven't ran into either issue, so I don't have a definitive solution for you.

PC. At this point I have a bunch of hours in and I'm not even on the 3rd level and apparently just...can't continue. Really absurd especially as I already started a new fucking game and reached the same dead-end. What a bunch of bullshit.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it. Wound up really digging it. I was a little iffy at first, but the further in I got and the systems clicked with me, the more I liked it. Didn't blow me away as much as Doom 2016, but still damn good.

I think the one negative that it has in common with Doom 2016 is that I really just haven't cared for the boss fights in either game. But, yeah. Good shit. Bring on the DLC and eventual Doom 3 with the grand return of the flashlight.

kinda ridiculous that the Marauder can survive BFG shots.

I swear those fuckers had two sets of AI and the game would flip a coin and randomly decide which you were going to get. Sometimes I'd run into one and have no problem. Other times that fucker would be nearly invincible.

Nov 3, 2017
Finished the game on nightmare and died more than 10x on the first phase of the last boss. I died only twice on the second phase. An absolutely solid shooter. The encounters are repetitive but its the game play its just so addicting. I was just so hooked.