• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The final boss is ridiculously hard. In fact, the last level is significantly harder than anything else in the game.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The final boss is ridiculously hard. In fact, the last level is significantly harder than anything else in the game.

Yes, this is true. But you eventually hit a flow with it and everything just works. One thing I will say that helps is using the crowds of low-tier enemies in front of the boss as batteries by freezing, burning, and flame hooking them helps a lot. Also use the BFG to clear 4 or 5 parts from the boss quickly and start with the abs/arms.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Patience is the name of the game. If you don't waste any of your bfg shots you should be fine.

This game is all about trial and error, finding what works for you; I really enjoyed it for how rewarding it was in that sense.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I found the last boss more tedious than anything. Thank goodness I could spam blood punches and crucibles.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Game is fantastic. Bosses, marauder and platforming are all good.

Surfacing out of water is rooted. Making the player look up and then making the ground beneath them become damaging is not good design.

Double shot shotgun DLC please. A way to make the hook pull you faster would be nice too.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need to do ultra nightmare and the same as you. I played too much in 4 days I neeed a rest. We have 3 weeks for the next season anyway. What's your best feeling method for level up the costumes sets ?
I don't think ultra nightmare is required for the platinum thing.
In game challenges though, yeah it's there. I gave up after dying at the same place twice. The first 3 levels just suck :(

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread but has anyone had trouble claiming the Twitch Prime stuff?

I signed up for the 30-Day Trial and claimed the skin on the website.... linked the amazon and bethesda accounts and nothing is showing up in game when I log in on PS4 but my PSN is also linked to the same Beth account soooo not sure what is going on.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
After playing the game more, I've started to understand what Hugo Martin was saying when he described the Marauder as the "Black Belt" enemy you face. He's supposed to be a culmination of everything you've learned. He forces you to dash around the battlefield, manage your spacing and resources, and can be taken out fairly quickly if you learn how to combo your weapons. Watching high level players pretty much kill the Marauder in 1 cycle kind of shows this. Basically, once you can beat the Marauder quickly, you'll be looking and playing like a BOSS.

I do agree though that the Marauder really forces a lot out of the player without the game giving you a truly clear way of understanding how to not make the fight tedious. The biggest issue with him though is that he doesn't always obey the rules defined by the tutorial given to you. Staying mid range does not guarantee he won't still just spam axe projectiles and ghost dogs.Those attacks force you to move, but then you are once again out of range where he would use his attack that leaves him open.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
The biggest issue with him though is that he doesn't always obey the rules defined by the tutorial given to you. Staying mid range does not guarantee he won't still just spam axe projectiles and ghost dogs.Those attacks force you to move, but then you are once again out of range where he would use his attack that leaves him open.
It isn't an issue, it will only give you the opening at mid range, it just isn't the only thing it will do at mid range. For it to only ever do that one attack at mid range is an unreasonable expectation, tip or no tip. If you fall out of mid range by necessity or mistake you're a dash and split second away from getting back.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Can anyone help me? I am playing the game and it is generally running at 80 + fps but as soon as I get close to an enemy I get really bad screen tearing. Fighting enemies farther away is good but closeup it causes this. Triple buffer vsync is enabled in the options menu
Anyone ?

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Have you tried changing the setting to Adaptive V-sync? The tearing when getting close to an enemy sounds like the game's framerate far exceeds your monitor's refresh rate for a brief moment. You could also try hard limiting your frame-rate to your monitor's refresh rate using an external tool like RTSS.
My monitor refresh rate is 144fps. So I am not sure if that's the problem. I'll try to limit FPS to 90 and test it

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019

I found the last level and boss an absolute blast, and a grand culmination of everything the game has to offer. I wish the entire game flowed like that, but action would stoo because of platforming and the Marauder.

Fuck the Marauder.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA

You'll always get that if you have a framerate that doesn't match your monitor's refresh rate, quick big changes in frame rate will just make it more pronounced and you'll notice it more. Try limiting the framerate to your monitor's refresh rate or a any set number where you know it won't go below. You could use ingame or better use rivatuner.

Last edited:

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it today. I have thoughts:

1. Marauders are...whatever. I hated them at first but eventually they just became a pain in the ass. I'd keep them in the game, and like someone else said, you only fight them 5-6 times in the game.

2. Urdak as a level suuuuuucks. Just unnecessary platforming, and I got caught up many times in the level geometry.

3. Music good

4. Is the unmaker equivalent to the BFG? I didn't notice a difference

Overall, I had fun. I'm definitely not gonna play it again for a while but it's a solid 8/10 imo.

Jan 29, 2018
I beat the game and I liked it a lot but I never grew to enjoy fighting Marauders. I understand the strategy but it just wasn't fun.

For the longest time I stuck with the strategy I saw discussed online which was to exclusively use the super shotgun against them, but in the final level I honestly had better luck just unloading the plasma rifle when they attacked.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I found the last level and boss an absolute blast, and a grand culmination of everything the game has to offer. I wish the entire game flowed like that, but action would stoo because of platforming and the Marauder.

Fuck the Marauder.
The last level was a good challenge but the final boss alongside the hundreds of enemies was a little frustrating for me. Running out of ammo was a major issue.

I finally completed the campaign after 20 hours. Main complaints include the marauder, buff totems, sticky goo and water sections. Furthermore, some of the combat scenarios did not feel very well thought out, at least compared to Doom 16.

Still, I had an absolute blast - nice variety in levels, lore is great, and the core gameplay is fantastic. Easily one of the best games I have ever played.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
For whatever reason the final boss was piss easy for me. I don't know why, but nothing but fodder would ever follow me up to the top levels of the arena in either phase except maybe the rare Caco or Pain Elemental, so I would just BFG/Ballista/Chaingun the boss and half of the pieces would be gone within a minute. Then it was a mix of waiting for him to stop moving so I could get the fiddly bits on the waist and arms, and if I needed ammo I just jumped down and chainsawed some fodder and then dash spammed back to the jump pads and started over. I kept expecting a super hard third phase and then the game just suddenly ended. It felt like a weird Arkham game closed room of me swooping down to take out a mook.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I flat out disagree with Marauder hate, it's a fun enemy with one of the dumbest cartoony fucking introductions I've ever seen.

That slayer gate where there's
two or three Tyrants/Cyberdemons
though? My jaw dropped lmao

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Finished up the Slayer gates tonight. Honestly after completing the last level they're, kind of easy? Also shoutouts to the ice grenade and flame belch, two abilities I thought were useless for most of the game but actually kind of own now that I know how to use them to keep my health and armor topped up pretty much all the time.
They are challenging when done as soon as you discover them. :)

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
The last level was a good challenge but the final boss alongside the hundreds of enemies was a little frustrating for me. Running out of ammo was a major issue.

I finally completed the campaign after 20 hours. Main complaints include the marauder, buff totems, sticky goo and water sections. Furthermore, some of the combat scenarios did not feel very well thought out, at least compared to Doom 16.

Still, I had an absolute blast - nice variety in levels, lore is great, and the core gameplay is fantastic. Easily one of the best games I have ever played.

The final boss provides enough drops to where you shouldn't run out of ammo. There are even crucible recharges so you can OHKO whatever you like.

The 100s of enemies is pure DOOM, and that's what I love most.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Finished up the Slayer gates tonight. Honestly after completing the last level they're, kind of easy? Also shoutouts to the ice grenade and flame belch, two abilities I thought were useless for most of the game but actually kind of own now that I know how to use them to keep my health and armor topped up pretty much all the time.
Do them as you find them. They are great challenges

Oct 25, 2017
Suggesting the Marauder to be patched out of the game is going a little too far, yeah.

I really don't think the hate is as universal as you guys think, it's just that one person comes and say FUCK MARAUDERS, THEY SUCK, COMPLETELY RUIN THE PACE OF THE BATTLE, THEY'RE TOO HARD AND TAKE TOO LONG TO KILL. And others start to quote in agreement, what do you want me to do, quote you guys and say "No, you just suck"? I'll just shut up and let you guys vent.

But yeah, since the discussion has come as far as asking for them to be removed: No, they're fun as hell and take a few seconds once you actually learn how to deal with them. Which is the sign of a good enemy design: Hard as fuck at first, but trivialized once you conquer the challenge.

Biggest difference between the Marauder and the other hard demons is that the game doesn't stop to tell you the optimal way to deal with them with your current moveset. It's up to you to figure it out. You know, the very thing people kept complaining about the game early on, that it was too restrictive and hand holdy in its enemy design.

It's the one enemy where weapon cycling is more than an optional tool to melt their HP, it's instead your best choice to just stay alive. Once you learn to quickly switch between weapons to cancel their recovery just so you can deal with the Marauder, you'll instantly start to flat out ignore many enemy weaknesses because you can destroy them much more quickly by switching between 2 or 3 single shot weapons.

It's fine if you completely disagree and think I'm out of my mind, but backing up that the enemy should be deleted because they're universally hated? I don't think that holds up.

Lol, they better not patch out marauders. A few tweaks to it, sure. It's ai does seem wonky. But devs really don't need to be bending over backwards to every annoyance. It's ok for an enemy to change the flow of a battle. It's ok to be stuck in goo sometimes. It's ok to be challenged in different ways than those you expect.
Agreed.

All harder enemies change the pace of the battle by forcing you to make a choice, it's just that the choice is usually "kill them as soon as possible", but the Marauder asks you to make room for him, so you can focus on the 1 on 1. You can't just delete them so they stop shooting you. You need to plan the encounter to clear as much as possible to focus on him, not to be there to kill him as soon as he spawns.

Except for Slayer Gate 5, which I found the best strategy to be rushing to his spawn point, Shotgun -> BFG, which just deletes him, and then the whole gate is easy enough after that.

I'm making this post not to like...aggressively counter-post some of the criticism I've seen, but mostly because I know the devs read these threads and I want to make sure they hear my piece too.

Doom Eternal is one of the most exciting, brilliantly designed shooter/action games I've ever played. Shooters have gotten so stale and boring over the last 15 years that I stopped enjoying one of my favorite genres. 2016 brought me back in, and Eternal has improved upon every single thing 2016 attempted. It's disappointing to me to see such divisive opinions on the game, mostly when I see posts that scream out to me "it's just not clicking for this person, and I wish they were having a better experience."

This game is more fun and makes me feel like a bigger bad ass than any other similar game (especially FPS games) has in a long time. One of the key reasons is because it demands performance from you. There was not once, in my Ultra-Violence run, a single encounter that I thought was unfair. I always had the tools I needed, and it was constantly reinforced to me that mastery of those tools was necessary to make progress.

You see this issue a lot, especially in older fighting games, the path of least resistance. The player learns one or two things,, and it doesn't matter how expansive the games toolkit is if they aren't being required to use it they won't. Then when the game introduces a serious challenge that expects them to have mastered the full wealth of what the game offers, they can't overcome it. The thing they've counted on / want to do isn't working no matter how they bang their head against the wall. They're frustrated, they don't want to learn what the game wants them to know, they interpret it as poor design.

Eternal is not that game. Every single part of this game reinforces its loop. Every encounter makes really smart use of its sandbox. Every single hour I spent with this game has been an absolute blast. We almost never see games like this, we almost never see challenging games that are this well balanced and this well designed, and it really disappoints me to see divisive responses that could (wrongly in my opinion) push the devs to reconsider the choices they've made. When I'm neck deep in a horde of the worst demons the game can throw at me and the divisive marauder comes screaming towards me like a bullet I have a shit-eating grin on my face. Suddenly there's an Archvile, and the only thing I'm thinking is "that bastard is mine". The game makes me feel like an absolute force of nature without handing it to me, while reminding me that my opposition is no joke and their out for blood if I don't keep it up.

I fucking love Doom Eternal. I love it as a DOOM game, I love it as a sequel to 2016. It's one of my favorite FPS/action games of all time, I can't stop playing it, and the devs knocked it out of the park. It's a benchmark for me in comparing FPS/action games in the future, and it's inspirational to me as a game designer.

The game is awesome guys.

EDIT: Ok, I will say one thing though. Swimming wasn't fun. It impacted my experience so little though that I actually forgot it was even there.

Amen!

Swimming? Now that's universal hatred, that shit sucks!

Best FPS I've ever played, without a doubt. In the words of the game's director: "The power fantasy that is earned is a lot more satisfying than the one that is handed to you". This statement defines Doom Eternal perfectly. Early on there were some criticism in the vein of "this game doesn't let me feel like a badass like 2016 does", or "it doesn't feel like the demons are locked in with you, but you with them", but that's not true, it absolutely still can feel the same way, the difference is that you have to act like it. You need to perform the part, the game won't just pretend anything you do is awesome.

And you know what's even crazier? They managed to hit this uncompromising, demanding vision of a gameplay loop while also having several different difficulty levels. That's not easy, at all. Usually by choosing Normal or Easy you're choosing to disable the game's resistance to you, and you can just do whatever you want. Here you're actually choosing which setting feels like the right amount of challenge to you, but apparently not even the easiest one is completely braindead.

All of the DMC and character action comparisons feel spot on, and it even goes beyond some of my favorite games in this genre in that you don't need to go out of your way to be stylish, just playing to survive will make your gameplay look fantastic, because the game's just that demanding. If we look at the genre's original name, as coined by the creator: "Stylish Hard Action", it's difficult to deny that Eternal fits right in.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

Running out of ammo - to me - is not an issue because the fun zone of the game is getting you to use every weapon and tool in your arsenal. They know you're having a fun time if you're moving, switching weapons, and thinking about how and when you kill demons. They made a good bet because the loop is perfect. You HAVE to use chainsaw a significant amount.

as for the marauders they were designed to be the Jedi vs sith type fight. obi wan vs darth maul as Hugo Martin said on no clip. The game accomplishes that with this enemy. He's petrifying and he gets you moving likecrazy. You have to use big weapons like rocket launcher, ballista, super shotgun (I used ss a lot even tho he had a resistance to it). Eventually I got to the point where the timing was cakewalk. I died more times to the marauder boss battle thananywhere else but it helped. The pacing and progression were perfect

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
You do know I'm not the first one even ITT suggesting they patch out the Marauders?

And it won't be the last.

I love the Marauders, they don't disrupt the "flow" because they are a part of the flow.

Hugo Martin pretty much says the Marauder is the equivalent to this guy:

Ain't nothing better than to dominate something that was once a real pain. You gotta earn it!

Oct 25, 2017
After playing the game more, I've started to understand what Hugo Martin was saying when he described the Marauder as the "Black Belt" enemy you face. He's supposed to be a culmination of everything you've learned. He forces you to dash around the battlefield, manage your spacing and resources, and can be taken out fairly quickly if you learn how to combo your weapons. Watching high level players pretty much kill the Marauder in 1 cycle kind of shows this. Basically, once you can beat the Marauder quickly, you'll be looking and playing like a BOSS.

I do agree though that the Marauder really forces a lot out of the player without the game giving you a truly clear way of understanding how to not make the fight tedious. The biggest issue with him though is that he doesn't always obey the rules defined by the tutorial given to you. Staying mid range does not guarantee he won't still just spam axe projectiles and ghost dogs.Those attacks force you to move, but then you are once again out of range where he would use his attack that leaves him open.
In my experience, every time you dodge the axe projectile he'll follow it up with a green attack. As long as you dodge to the side, so that you're still in the same range. Don't look at each move as an individual startup, green attacks don't always come out of a point blank run, more often than not they're the second hit of the axe projectile "combo".

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Last boss is a lot easier for me than the one before it. I didn't die once and it didn't take too long. Kind of weird how opinions about the difficulty are all over the place.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got recommended control settings on PS4? Aka smoothing settings, aim assist and the like.

The controls feel really imprecise out of the box.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got recommended control settings on PS4? Aka smoothing settings, aim assist and the like.

I didn't touch aim assist but I put smoothing down to 40, sensitivity to 40 and made the FoV 97.

The stick aiming feels wonky as hell with 100 smoothing so this felt a lot better. I'd also recommend getting jump and dash on the shoulder.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah wait until the back button attachment for the DS4 is more widely available lol

Naw, I need to try the game without paddles on Xbox soon to see if I'm any better or worse.

I hear it's just fine as a default.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017
Playing on base PS4, I still can't believe how buttery smooth it runs while maintaining gorgeous visuals.

I've done all the single player campaign has to offer (except Ultra Nightmare), and I'm at a point where I'm just re-running the final level over and over again. Combat arenas before the final boss throws everything at you and it is so much fun juggling everything at once - it's essential Doom Eternal.

Then the final boss is a complete power fantasy - you're given unlimited Crucibles, Blood Punches, and Chainsaws: the game is telling you to just go ham on any summoned monsters. Don't be shy! And use BFG + Chaingun with shields on the final boss itself. Once you get the hang of it, the final boss isn't as bad as its first impression.

I need more Master Levels! Do we know when new ones will drop?

Oct 25, 2017
I need more Master Levels! Do we know when new ones will drop?
Weird that there weren't more, right? I kept thinking it would be this ULTIMATE CHALLENGE while going through the game, because that's why they only had time to do the one level, it took them so long to make it perfect, but it's kind of just a late game level? It's a ton of fun, don't get me wrong, but it's not necessarily better than the regular campaign. Still looking forward to more master levels because it's more Doom Eternal, but not THAT excited.

Can't wait for Story DLC, though. God, that will be amazing.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Weird that there weren't more, right? I kept thinking it would be this ULTIMATE CHALLENGE while going through the game, because that's why they only had time to do the one level, it took them so long to make it perfect, but it's kind of just a late game level? It's a ton of fun, don't get me wrong, but it's not necessarily better than the regular campaign. Still looking forward to more master levels because it's more Doom Eternal, but not THAT excited.

Yeah, some levels have some interesting areas to play with (like the small boxed in room in cultist base), but for the most part they just feel like a late game level. Changing the arenas to have more tyrants and stuff doesn't phase much after the stuff Final Sin already puts you through.

And...what the hell would a Final Sin master level even look like? Lol. I will say I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a double marauder encounter yet.

Lt.Chips

Nov 4, 2017

In my naïve mind, for the Master Levels, if you just have the monster summons in the combat arenas work based on a (pseudo)randomized fashion, that would give us sufficient results. But I can totally see the value of masterfully handcrafted combat encounters too. Whatever the case I'd happily play more Doom Eternal. Heck, I'd love to see a re-skinned version of the game called Quake Eternal! The core gameplay loop is so good, it's like crack. I can't stop playing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, some levels have some interesting areas to play with (like the small boxed in room in cultist base), but for the most part they just feel like a late game level. Changing the arenas to have more tyrants and stuff doesn't phase much after the stuff Final Sin already puts you through.

And...what the hell would a Final Sin master level even look like? Lol. I will say I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a double marauder encounter yet.
Oh God. There will definitely be a double Marauder in Final Sin Master Level, there's nowhere else they can go.

I guess removing all Crucible and BFG pickups?

In my naïve mind, for the Master Levels, if you just have the monster summons in the combat arenas work based on a (pseudo)randomized fashion, that would give us sufficient results. But I can totally see the value of masterfully handcrafted combat encounters too. Whatever the case I'd happily play more Doom Eternal. Heck, I'd love to see a re-skinned version of the game called Quake Eternal! The core gameplay loop is so good, it's like crack. I can't stop playing it.
I'm in, drop the Quake Eternal DLC, id!

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
OK I am starting to get in the groove with this one. I just finished first part of

ARC Complex

and it was glorious. Holy shit, never-ending wave of enemies for 5 minutes while The Only Thing They Fear is You is banging.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
No major details regarding the fight please, but

is the Icon of Sin the final boss? Cause that's a bummer they fully showed him in a trailer.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, now that they've used the Cyberdemon, the Spider Mastermind and the
Icon of Sin
, what will be the final boss of the next Doom? The Maledict redux? 🤔

No major details regarding the fight please, but

is the Icon of Sin the final boss? Cause that's a bummer they fully showed him in a trailer.

Icon of Sin is the final boss, yes