• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
thankfully the sludge is very sparingly used- to the point where I wonder why it was used at all to be honest.

The fact that you can''t escape it by double jumping and dashing is strange. I'd be okay if it was more like "whoops, you made a mistake, think fast!" mechanism, but getting stuck in a pool just sucks.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of lore:
Didn't one of the Makyrs refer to Doomguy as Seraphim in the later levels? The posts I have been reading have been very confident Hayden is Seraphim but I swear this happened in a cutscene
When the Slayer enters the room where the Icon of Sin ritual takes place, yes. And I was thinking just like you, but the Maykr system probably greets Hayden because he's embedded in the Slayer's suit somehow?

The case for Samuel being Samur being the Seraphim is way too strong to be ignored. His knowledge of Maykr history, the way he talks about Urdak's past and mentions that things could have been better with a "different leadership".

There's still something bothering me in that retcon though: in 2016 you could see a portrait of a very human Samuel Hayden. Did Samur assume a mortal form to trick people?

Oct 25, 2017
Just got the Platinum.
Ran through Extra Lives Mode on TYTD, and didn't take a single KO lol.
Had 43 lives in the end.
After playing through on Nightmare, I was surprised I still had a few close calls.
Cyber Mancubi spawning on your ass is always dangerous.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Game is Rock paper scissors, which is awesome and satisfying but the main skill really doesn't involves shooting but rather if you can switch your weapons fast enough and identifying when to get the chainsaw or BFG out.

Is the weapon switching dial "time slow" not as generous as 2016 one right ?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Game is Rock paper scissors, which is awesome and satisfying but the main skill really doesn't involves shooting but rather if you can switch your weapons fast enough and identifying when to get the chainsaw or BFG out.

Is the weapon switching dial "time slow" not as generous as 2016 one right ?
It's really not RPS, imo... it's more "if you want, you can do it faster this way, but you're free to go ham with other things".

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When the Slayer enters the room where the Icon of Sin ritual takes place, yes. And I was thinking just like you, but the Maykr system probably greets Hayden because he's embedded in the Slayer's suit somehow?

The case for Samuel being Samur being the Seraphim is way too strong to be ignored. His knowledge of Maykr history, the way he talks about Urdak's past and mentions that things could have been better with a "different leadership".

There's still something bothering me in that retcon though: in 2016 you could see a portrait of a very human Samuel Hayden. Did Samur assume a mortal form to trick people?
Wouldn't that be true for Vega though? As far as I remember you still haven't inserted Vega into the system yet at that point and it seems he is the father.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's vega you bring with you not hayden

Oh my ultra nightmare save that was on level 2 disappeared
That's cool

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't that be true for Vega though? As far as I remember you still haven't inserted Vega into the system yet at that point and it seems he is the father.
Yes, VEGA's the one you're physically carrying with you. But I can't see who the Maykr system would greet as Seraphim other than Hayden. VEGA seems to be the Father and the Slayer is, well, the Slayer.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Biggest lore question for me right now is...

Who is the true ruler of hell? While Hayden is obviously the fallen angel, he's not the one in charge of hell since it would jumble up everything else. Not the icon of sin either since that seems more like a tool than a fully sentient creature.
Maybe Spider Mastermind? It seemed to have a big role based on the snippits we got in 2016 and it's ability to reincarnate if the right host is available.

There are many references to "The Dark Lord", but yeah it's unclear if we've been introduced or not. The S. Hayden = Satan thing is interested, as well as him likely being a fallen angel, but it also doesn't necessarily jive with his behaviour and motives.

Oct 27, 2017
Few question guys
1. I am not a hardcore gamer, but I was able to finish Doom on regular difficulty. It took me several tries in certain bosses and stages, but I made it. How is the difficulty of eternal doom compared to the first one ? I can actually get very frustrated if the game is too hard, and I might just skip the game
2. I dont care for multiplayer. How long is the campaign? Is the campaign worth $60?
3. Which version to get? Xbox one X or PS4 pro?

1: It's harder than Doom 2k16. I'm trash at twitchy FPS games so I have to play these on easy. Doom 2k16 was challenging but manageable for me, but this is harder. I'd say the somewhat more complex mechanics and combat adds to the difficulty.

2: Not sure exactly how many hours as I'm not done yet, but I'd say it's worth it. Doom Eternal feels longer than Doom 2k16 felt.

3: Can't help you there.

Why doesn't the doom slayer just shoot those two hell priests right at the start of game. Are they holograms? I've only just started the game tho...loving it so far.

Because one does not simply walk into Mordor.

I think they were holograms

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Some of the platforming in Urdak is beyond awful. There is one particular segment where you are required to shoot the grid switch before jumping off a floating-point. Who on earth thought that was a good idea?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a rune to allow dashes top push past smaller enemies. Getting body blocked by one of the more fodder type enemies is one of the most frustrating ways to die. I get that's on me for not paying attention, I just feel it would have been a cool upgrade choice.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
You can escape it with the Super Shotgun hook ;)

Smart!

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah OK died on cultist base right after getting the rocket launcher, don't have the patience for this
The first 2 levels feel like shit to play with how little you have, was getting back in the comfort zone on cultist base but got cocky and jumped into the fray with a flame belch thinking it would be enough, nope

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing on UV, but I found myself blitzing through levels saving all my lives. Upped it to Nightmare... and I'm getting my arse handed to me constantly, but it's so much more satisfying.

Solving each encounter like a puzzle is one of the most rewarding FPS experiences ever, and when that run just clicks in a blaze of weapon switching, flame belching, freeze nading, chainsawing brutality... there's really nothing quite like this in the FPS space.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Few question guys
1. I am not a hardcore gamer, but I was able to finish Doom on regular difficulty. It took me several tries in certain bosses and stages, but I made it. How is the difficulty of eternal doom compared to the first one ? I can actually get very frustrated if the game is too hard, and I might just skip the game
2. I dont care for multiplayer. How long is the campaign? Is the campaign worth $60?
3. Which version to get? Xbox one X or PS4 pro?

1. It's a bit harder than 2016, but it's also a matter of learning to use your new tools and coping with the new demons. Once you get in the groove it's not that much harder, but especially at the start things will probably feel more difficult. You can change the difficulty at any time, so I suggest you start on Hurt Me Plenty and bring that down if you struggle a lot.
2. I finished my Ultra Violence playthrough yesterday. I estimate it took me around 20-25 hours in total? I'm also not super fast nor good, so I had to retry a couple of sections.
3. I have played the PC version so can't help you there. The PC version has been optimized wonderfully. This DF vid might help you come to a decision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsmqWSZpgJY

Oct 27, 2017
After thinking of it, I agree with the poster a little earlier ITT who said the story in Doom Eternal suffers from the same problem as FF XIII, where they want to stuff as much as possible into the plot, and end up dumping most of it in a datalog.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
The game starts as one big ass tutorial the first two levels. Not until you reach the cultist base the game starts to slowly loosen its grip and expect the player to know the basic rules of DOOM. I dare say that the game starts to become a full fledged DOOM after the first three levels. Everything before that was nothing mindblowing in my eyes.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Since I've beaten the game twice, with all secrets, challenges, weekly challenges, Master Levels and stuff, I was searching for further incentives to still play. So I decided to obtain Master of Fasting, that requires to play a mission with only the Famine Cheat on. And it was a blast. It forces a way more oldschool and critical resource management that makes the gameplay really shine. Do yourself a favour: pick up a level packed of action that you really like and give it a try.

Hopefully, for the next DOOM installament id Software will go with a middleground between this and the basically unlimited safety net featured in Eternal.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing on UV, but I found myself blitzing through levels saving all my lives. Upped it to Nightmare... and I'm getting my arse handed to me constantly, but it's so much more satisfying.

Solving each encounter like a puzzle is one of the most rewarding FPS experiences ever, and when that run just clicks in a blaze of weapon switching, flame belching, freeze nading, chainsawing brutality... there's really nothing quite like this in the FPS space.
Yes. I really hope the SP DLC content will offer new levels because I'm almost finished with my second playthrough and I want more. I can replay the existing maps, but a playable epilogue taking place in another part of Sentinel Prime, Exultia or Hell would be fantastic.

WillyBubba

Oct 31, 2017
I'm on Xbox and I strongly recommend an Elite controller for this. The paddles mean you can just keep aiming while jumping or dashing, you don't have to release the right stick to press any face button. Helps tremendously.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game this morning. Brilliant, simply brilliant! It took a couple of levels for the slightly different approach of combat to click with me (I was hoarding the chainsaw before hand, but when I understood just how plentiful everything is, my mindset changed and I improved as a result). Personally, I probably enjoyed this more than the last game - the way you use certain weapons to weaken enemies quicker is just something that I loved and once I memorised all the enemies weaknesses I was switching out weapons super quick and destroying hoards of demons no problem! All the mechanics you are given to dispatch demons (including the flame belch and grenades etc.) all just mesh together almost perfectly. Sure I'd get stuck on the environment at points, and the first couple of levels are probably less fun before you get your whole weapon set, but speed running those levels for later at least makes them more fun on the replay.

As for enemy variety - I loved how they managed to rep the cast of Doom 1&2 whilst including a few new enemies. I loved the fact that Kakodemons are closer to their original Doom look, and personally speaking after learning how to tackle the Marauder I quite enjoyed fighting him as well.

Boss wise, wasn't a fan of the Gladiator (felt like he homed in on you way too much), loved Maykr's fight (once I got the rhythm of the fight down it went pretty smooth) and my only issues with the Icon are that right at the end it spawned an insane amount of enemies (and I'd used all my BFG ammo) and it was a bit tough at times to tell which bits needed to be shot to further damage the boss.

But all in all, its excellent. The Doom reboot and Eternal are probably my favourite two FPS games this gen, only TF2's campaign comes close. Also, I was impressed by how well the performance on the game held up especially at the end with all that shit on screen and with it running as fast and smooth as it did. Easily my second favourite game of the year (Yakuza 7 is still tog dog)

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Played a bit more of this over the weekend and got up to Mission 7.

Probably the biggest difficulty spike so far for me was the boss fight at the end of the 4th mission. The first phase wasn't too bad but then in the second phase you had to fight two of them and I was like WTF, died a bunch of times and got offered the 'Sentinel Armour' but declined to take it. Eventually managed it after a couple more deaths.

After that spike though the game has been much easier for me. I used a bunch of my sentinel batteries to unlock some Crystals at the base which I used to upgrade my ammo, armour and health capabilities, unlocked some praetor suit upgrades too. So things have definitely been less crazy ever since, you still can't completely switch off obviously and the combat is still as great as ever but I haven't had to focus quite as much and have been resting on my laurels a bit.

Really liked the 5th mission. Some of the old school key gate map design from previous games was deployed here with great effect, I loved everything about this level apart from the toxic water. The water is just annoying, I understand it's meant to be a hazard and take you out your comfort zone a bit but it just didn't really work for me.

I didn't really like the 6th mission mainly because of the toxic water annoyances and it being a bit bland compared to all the previous levels. The mini- boss at the end of Mission 6 was a bit of a let down as well, I just stayed a little way away from him and shot him whenever his eyes glowed green, put him down after a few attempts. Missed a Challenge in this mission though so will be going back and picking that up later today.

Still loving it overall but my opinion on it has perhaps dipped a little mainly due to the annoying aspects of the previous two levels. This is one long game as well! Almost takes me 3 hours to get through each mission and I understand I'm not even half way through yet. I have a feeling I'm going to feel a little burnt out on it by the end but it's not been an issue so far.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
How do you do the weapon swapping on ps4 that I see in folks videos? When I hit the weapon swap button it always defaults whatever I have to the basic shotgun and back to what I had selected. To do some of the crazy shit like the combos on mauraders, how am I supposed to do this on PS4, the weapon wheel is not fast enough for the swapping

Use the weapon wheel to select the two weapons you want in succession (in this case, SSG + Ballista). Then when you're facing the Marauder tap the weapon wheel button quickly to swap between the two.

Since I've beaten the game twice, with all secrets, challenges, weekly challenges, Master Levels and stuff, I was searching for further incentives to still play. So I decided to obtain Master of Fasting, that requires to play a mission with only the Famine Cheat on. And it was a blast. It forces a way more oldschool and critical resource management that makes the gameplay really shine. Do yourself a favour: pick up a level packed of action that you really like and give it a try.

Hopefully, for the next DOOM installament id Software will go with a middleground between this and the basically unlimited safety net featured in Eternal.

I will be legit amazed if anyone completes the whole game on Nightmare with Famine Mode, sounds impossible to me but there are some people with insane skill out there.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's really not RPS, imo... it's more "if you want, you can do it faster this way, but you're free to go ham with other things".
I felt like it takes a little too much ammo if you try to pick of enemies in not the intended way ID destined it. I am only playing on HMPlenty and just barely scrapes by every encounter.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I felt like it takes a little too much ammo if you try to pick of enemies in not the intended way ID destined it. I am only playing on HMPlenty and just barely scrapes by every encounter.
I'm on nightmare and I'll concede that it is definitely easier if you do this... but sometimes you're in a situation where you won't have the precise counter up, and you can absolutely freestyle your way to a win when you need to.

Although there's little point NOT taking out weak points, usually, and you kind of need to get used to switching between all your gear even if you don't do this so the practise is good.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
I will be legit amazed if anyone completes the whole game on Nightmare with Famine Mode, sounds impossible to me but there are some people with insane skill out there.

Haha, ye.
I'd try it myself, but cheats need to be discovered and work only in Mission Select, so the balance of this supposed 'old school mode' would be screwed anyway. :/

Oct 25, 2017
God, I really hope we get a bunch of new enemies and bosses with the story DLCs. Just make it like From Software DLC, it would be the best.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up the BattleMode trophies last night, now I just have a handful of single player trophies to get for my platinum.

There needs to be an easier way to break free from being cornered by enemies. Sometimes you get stuck and can't escape, with double jumping or dashing. Even imps can block your movement. It's terrible when it happens in multiplayer.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Didn't expect my enjoyment to actually keep growing the more I played, thought I'd begin to grow tired of it after 7 hours or so but the hype continues! Just got the BFG 9000, seeing the whole sequence leading up to that was kickass!

Also: I actually think playing with headphones is preferable over my sound system for me - allows me to enjoy Mick's amazing score better.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
After thinking of it, I agree with the poster a little earlier ITT who said the story in Doom Eternal suffers from the same problem as FF XIII, where they want to stuff as much as possible into the plot, and end up dumping most of it in a datalog.
Yup, this was the only disappointing thing about the game for me.
Especially considering Doom 2016's story was surprisingly decent and, compared to Eternal, relatively well told.

I barely read any of the datalogs and I literally have no idea why I did the things that I did or who certain characters are.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The purple goo sucks. Have a game that makes Doomguy so fast, and then have this shitty goo that takes away all of it. It's especially bad because your movement is your main defense too.

That bit in the second level where you fight an Arachnotron while on the goo is ugh.

captainpat

Nov 15, 2017
How much of a jump is UV to nightmare? I'm debating doing a nightmare run but UV was hard enough I feel like nightmare might be a little too hard and not as fun

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The purple goo sucks. Have a game that makes Doomguy so fast, and then have this shitty goo that takes away all of it. It's especially bad because your movement is your main defense too.

That bit in the second level where you fight an Arachnotron while on the goo is ugh.
You can just go back to the area with no goo though
It's in like 2 levels total, I don't mind it that much

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
How much of a jump is UV to nightmare? I'm debating doing a nightmare run but UV was hard enough I feel like nightmare might be a little too hard and not as fun
I just bumped it to Nightmare yesterday. It's a big jump. I went from dying maybe 1-5 times per level on UV to sometimes dying that many times or more per arena in Nightmare.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know to to skip intro videos for Bethesda launcher version?

Go to the folder where Doom is installed, (by default 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda.net Launcher\games\Doom Eternal').
Right-click on 'idTechLauncher.exe' and select 'Create Shortcut'
Right-click the shortcut you just made and select 'Properties'
In the 'Target' textbox add +com_skipIntroVideo 1 to what's already there so it looks something like this:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda.net Launcher\games\Doom Eternal\idTechLauncher.exe" +com_skipIntroVideo 1
Then launch the game though this shortcut (pin it to your start menu or something if you want). You don't need the Bethesda Launcher running.

Nov 3, 2017

The very first chapters when you don't have the dash upgrade is challenging. But on later levels its a bit of a breeze when you get the necessary upgrades. Just before you engage enemies try sniping off their weaknesses. Nightmare demons tend to hit pretty hard, if they manage to melee you

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

It basically requires you to move and dash all the time. Also, if you get meleed, you will probably die from 2 or so hits. So you cannot allow anything to get close to you. There have been many times when I would get sandwiched between two enemies that I didn't see, only to die in a second.

Most enemies can kill you in 3-5 hits depending on their power, even if you are fully maxed out. The Slayer gates are really, really challenging, especially if you do them at the time you find them (which is honestly the best time to do them, as it is the most hectic fun).

And as difficult as it sounds, you cannot hold back. If you find yourself on low health, your best option is to dash forward into enemies, trying to stagger them and then melee them for that HP. Playing carefully would only result in you wasting time and dying more.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Finished the game yesterday, new classic. What a perfect combat system, it's like the DMC of FPS, every combat encounter is an intense joy to play. This is way better balanced than 2016 and I loved the platforming focused level design. I still need to do the master levels but after those two I still want more.

Shame there is so much less content than 2016. No arcade mode. No level editor. Would love arcade mode at least.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Finally cleared the 1st Slayer Gate.
Had to move back from my HDR TV to the Freesync monitor to do that.
I failed way too many times on UV, but at least it helps you learning how to use the new weapons at your disposal.

As I understand it, it's not possible to try the Gates again once you have cleared them without replaying the whole level? Shame.

Oct 25, 2017
Go to the folder where Doom is installed, (by default 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda.net Launcher\games\Doom Eternal').
Right-click on 'idTechLauncher.exe' and select 'Create Shortcut'
Right-click the shortcut you just made and select 'Properties'
In the 'Target' textbox add +com_skipIntroVideo 1 to what's already there so it looks something like this:
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda.net Launcher\games\Doom Eternal\idTechLauncher.exe" +com_skipIntroVideo 1
Then launch the game though this shortcut (pin it to your start menu or something if you want). You don't need the Bethesda Launcher running.
Another option is to simply rename the intro video file so the game cant find it. It'll go right to the menu however you launch it after that.
boot_sequence.bik

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I died at the exact same room in ultra nightmare. 3 mancubi, vampires and cacos in a small room is just dumb shit. I'm not bothering anymore, the first 2 levels are too draining.
Btw you can't even quit the game when in the fortress, I assume you can only quit after a mission is ended? Otherwise it just deletes the file.