• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on uv game is hard. Need to get used to staying in constant motion. Resource management is a drain and I'm on level 2. Hopefully i don't sour on it quickly.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Sentinel Prime. Yet another shitty, tedious boss that had me wasting extra lives.

Aaaaanyhow, I'm back at the Fortress. If I replay earlier levels, can I go back to them to rack up extra lives by picking them up again?

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Finished Sentinel Prime. Yet another shitty, tedious boss that had me wasting extra lives.

Aaaaanyhow, I'm back at the Fortress. If I replay earlier levels, can I go back to them to rack up extra lives by picking them up again?
Yes. I'm replaying levels before the point of no return to stack up on extra lives and sweep secrets and collectables.

That said, I don't know if you can collect extra lives if you have the infinite lives cheat code enabled. I haven't tried myself but I'd guess no.

Last edited:

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
So I'm curious what everyone thinks of the microwave beam for the plasma rifle. Im doing a second playthrough on a harder difficulty and still basically never touch this mod. Every other weapon/mod I can see the purpose of but the microwave beam I just never see a reason to use it. I mean I get that bigger enemies create a bigger explosion, but even when they are weakened the time it takes to actually fill in the bar to blow them up that last bit seems to take way too long. Add in the fact that using the microwave takes away much of your mobility since you have to stay fairly close to the enemy and it just feels like the risks of it outweigh the benefits.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
So I'm curious what everyone thinks of the microwave beam for the plasma rifle. Im doing a second playthrough on a harder difficulty and still basically never touch this mod. Every other weapon/mod I can see the purpose of but the microwave beam I just never see a reason to use it. I mean I get that bigger enemies create a bigger explosion, but even when they are weakened the time it takes to actually fill in the bar to blow them up that last bit seems to take way too long. Add in the fact that using the microwave takes away much of your mobility since you have to stay fairly close to the enemy and it just feels like the risks of it outweigh the benefits.

I'm honestly not a fan of it. I would ignore it as heat blast immediate utility and only gets better once you unlock its mastery.

Oct 25, 2017
Second this. The turret minigun will absolutely ruin the sled and the hunter once he has no shield.

Man, seeing more posts about the last boss I have no idea how my experience was so different. I loved the final boss. I loved the Khan fight too.
I thought the Maykr fight was great, too! Had a ton of fun with that. My issue with the final boss is that it's one of these bosses where the arena and enemies are supposed to be the challenge, instead of the boss' actual moveset, which is fine, I can appreciate a fight where I take care of the arena and chip away at the boss' health whenever possible, but the arena for phase 1 is kind of awful in design. And the infinite sword removes the little strategy that would be involved in dispatching enemies.

Not to say it wasn't hard for me, it was pretty hard, took me a while to beat, but I didn't necessarily adjust anything when I did, it just happened, unlike the Maykr, where by the time I managed to beat the boss, I was quick cycling through weapons to melt her shield, barely paying attention to where I couldn't stand on because I was barely touching the ground anyway. There was a clear improvement.

But I don't think it was TRASH or anything. I don't think any boss in this game is horrible. For shooter standards, can't say any of them is bad at all. Just a shame that my least favorite one is the final boss.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think it's awful. Maybe someone will find a hidden use for it, but I agree that it's the single useless weapon of the bunch.

Maybe there's a specific boss that gets destroyed by this mod, who knows. But I bet the missiles will do the job just fine against the same enemy.

At lower levels of play, you want to exploit weaknesses, you want to stay safe as much as possible, and keep moving. Microwave Beam goes against that.

At higher levels of play, you want to constantly switch weapons, abuse high damaging moves while ignoring recovery by switching. Microwave Beam also goes against that. And shares ammo with the incredible Ballista.

I'm not too mad, though. In 2016, I tested the Plasma Rifle, didn't like it and basically ignored it just because of that. I still use the Plasma Rifle a lot in Eternal, even after beating the game. It's just amazing for shields, and the heat blast is a ton of fun to use. Complete 180 on that weapon, so I can forgive one shitty mod.

One key to launch equipment and another to switch equipment

Why not just have one key for each type with no need to switch

I never thought about that.

id pls patch this

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I don't mind the Marauder's design. It's interesting to have an enemy in which you have to use the environment to try and get a one on one situation with them. But the amount of health they have is kind of absurd. There's no reason they should take ten Super Shotgun blasts or whatever. And the dog summon is just bullshit to cause you damage while you're taking on other enemies.

Cut they're HP in half and cut the dog attack and you've got an interesting enemy.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Christ Nightmare first run is kicking my ass, im getting through it but I sure am dying more than I ever did in DOOM 2016.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind the Marauder's design. It's interesting to have an enemy in which you have to use the environment to try and get a one on one situation with them. But the amount of health they have is kind of absurd. There's no reason they should take ten Super Shotgun blasts or whatever. And the dog summon is just bullshit to cause you damage while you're taking on other enemies.

Cut they're HP in half and cut the dog attack and you've got an interesting enemy.
They'd also need a patch so they ain't janky as fuck. The supposed safe distance from them doesn't work as intended, and there are times where they will take forever to flash green and attack you, which will completely ruin any attempt at a timed encounter.

Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked the microwave beam first and thought it was neat, but the lack of mobility started hurting as I progressed. After I unlocked heat blast I literally never used the microwave again for the rest of the game. There were zero situations where I thought it was a good choice. Pointless.

Oct 25, 2017

Weapon switching is the key. You can easily two or three cycle him. One cycle if you're REALLY good. Never wait for reloads of single shot weapons, basically. SSG -> Ballista -> SSG on every green eye opening is enough for a simple Three Cycle. Throw in a grenade in the middle and things start to get crazy.

It's cool to have an enemy that asks for weapon switching for a fair fight, instead of just being a tool for you to completely destroy them.

Oct 25, 2017

Quickly hot swapping between super/ballista/super you can often manage to get three shots in per green and take care of him pretty quick.
But that first introductory fight in the relatively small confined space before you've had the chance to learn the ins and outs really sucks hard. Would have been better to put the player in a more spacious environment for that lesson.

Oct 26, 2017
You can use it to lock down the Whiplash enemies. I'd say it's best used as a finisher, if you're not that fussed about the glory kill us it to finish off a stunned enemy if the detonation would be more useful.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The microwave is pretty good actually, it blows up weak points on revenants/arachnotrons/mancubi too.
I don't main it, but it's not so bad.

edit: fuck I thought you meant the heat blast.
The microwave is unplayable.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
No. you pull the item out of the titan. There's a fight right after that.

After 45 minutes of that encounter, I went back to challenge. It's a Marauder. You get 30 seconds to kill him. Get FUCKED by RNG because he doesn't do the proper attack so you can even hit him. zzz

I just want to reiterate that the Marauder fucking sucks.

Specifically, the one in the room where the Dr explains to you where ardent energy is harvested with the BFG ammo in the center.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing it's due to controllers, same with bfg being on the weapon wheel instead of a button. They actually ran out of things to use.

It's still two keys on controller though. Left click and down d pad are unbound

DOOM-Eternal_20200316122649-scaled.jpg

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I guess they had to find a way to annoy the fuck out of me...

Been trying to down the Doom Hunter and when I finally do it they throw 2 at the same time?

Fuck this game, not content with that fucking atrocious boss battle they constantly tell you to cheat with the fucking sentinel armor. NO, YOU CHEAP FUCKS!

I love Doom 2016, but this thing is just a cheap shot after another.

What is this Sentinel Armor thing? Playing on Nightmare, my strategy was to burst their armour with the Plasma Rifle, then use the Heavy Cannon to attach all missiles and switch to the Super Shotgun for a heavy punch. Usually that combo, coupled with the overcharge explosion from the Plasma Rifle takes away at least 30% of their health, if not more.

Also, never stop moving!

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmfao I fucking loved getting my ass beat by the doom hunter on nightmare then next thing you know you gotta kill 2
The second arena is more lenient tbh

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
I thought the Maykr fight was great, too! Had a ton of fun with that. My issue with the final boss is that it's one of these bosses where the arena and enemies are supposed to be the challenge, instead of the boss' actual moveset, which is fine, I can appreciate a fight where I take care of the arena and chip away at the boss' health whenever possible, but the arena for phase 1 is kind of awful in design. And the infinite sword removes the little strategy that would be involved in dispatching enemies.

Not to say it wasn't hard for me, it was pretty hard, took me a while to beat, but I didn't necessarily adjust anything when I did, it just happened, unlike the Maykr, where by the time I managed to beat the boss, I was quick cycling through weapons to melt her shield, barely paying attention to where I couldn't stand on because I was barely touching the ground anyway. There was a clear improvement.

But I don't think it was TRASH or anything. I don't think any boss in this game is horrible. For shooter standards, can't say any of them is bad at all. Just a shame that my least favorite one is the final boss.

Same thoughts about Maykir. I enjoyed the fight, both in in my runs.
About the last boss: the main issue for me is that is dramatically uninteresting. Messing again with the same waves loop of the last 20 hours + sword and punch gimmicks + this bullet spongy puppet straight from bad PS2 era action games? Give me a break.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I'm replaying levels before the point of no return to stack up on extra lives and sweep secrets and collectables.

That said, I don't know if you can collect extra lives if you have the infinite lives cheat code enabled. I haven't tried myself but I'd guess no.

Just a correction here since no one has noticed it but I'm like 99.9% sure that you actually are able to obtain extra lives in this way. I played a couple of earlier levels with infinite lives and I'm positive I ended up with several more after them. Might have been misremembering but I suddenly had 14 when I was operating around 8 beforehand. Might depend on the difficulty level though.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
After the first two levels, the game got a lot easier on UV thanks to my power ups. I just beat the Super Gore Nest. I feel like the game is about to get harder. When's the Marauder?

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
While the inclusion of pupils in demons' eyes to match their classic counterparts was a welcome addition, but I'm not sure why they were added to a demon that previously didn't have them, namely
the Icon of Sin
; the end result makes it less menacing. Also not sure why the Barons aren't purple/scorched red any more, being grey makes them harder to distinguish from the new Dread Knights.

Minor nitpicks, though, still loved the overall art style of Eternal way more than 2016.

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The last two bosses really dragged my experience down. Just plain boring. Plus the swimming sections. Oof.
I'd give the game a 9 because everything else was top.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing this so often I'm not really questioning that it's peoples experience with it, but I don't think that I can relate to it being as problematic as I've seen. Doesn't seem to start off that slow to me, and I think it gives you enough of a warm-up as to what to expect so it's puzzling but again everybody's going to experience that differently.
It's not that it starts slow, quite the opposite in my opinion. It's primarily the lack of resources (ammo, cool downs, health, shield, weapons) that make the beginning of the game more tedious and difficult than it needs to be. The rate of increasing difficult in regards to fighting is exponential, while your own resources in the first two/three levels is fairly linear (and quite slow in my opinion) in comparison. I think if they dump a lot more of the weapons and resources on you earlier it'd be an easier onboarding process. It didn't feel tough in the beginning like "Oh man, I should have just played better or approached that differently" but more of a "Man, this isn't fun with so few resources available to me..."

Granted, now that I've got the systems down and plenty of weapons, I'm ripping and tearing like it should be. Now the game feels challenging in a good way. That was my issue with the intro at least, and I can see how unfortunately some players might drop it before the game starts to "click."

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FInally got around to starting this up. Runs perfect 60 fps on my 980ti maxed out at 1080p. Wasnt expecting that. Anyway, its pretty amazing. Feels really polished and i love the attention to detail everywhere. Lots of creative and hilarious/badass events and lore. I like the giant walking around with the airship on his back so the priest can command his army, lol.

Only real downside is there are so many damn systems in the gameplay its hard to remember them all, and it feels like you need them. Like, chainsaw, blood punch, flame thrower, grenades, glory kills, dashes, alt firing controls. Im using a controller on ultra violence and it is taking a while to learn it all, especially when the gameplay is so fast.

Oct 31, 2017
Going to sound so elitist but I couldn't imagine playing this game on a controller.

I even finished 2016 on PS4, so it's obviously fine; it's just...sooo much better with a M+KB.
I actually played 2016 on PC with a mouse and keyboard and played Eternal on a One X with an Elite controller and found Eternal with the Elite far more fun than 2016 with the m+kb honestly.

The dexterity required to succeed on controller at the higher difficulties is pretty insane and awesome fun when you do well.
The microwave is pretty good actually, it blows up weak points on revenants/arachnotrons/mancubi too.
I don't main it, but it's not so bad.

edit: fuck I thought you meant the heat blast.
The microwave is unplayable.
I didn't really care for the Plasma Rifle in 2016, but it + the Heatwave mod was one of my favorite guns in Eternal. It was just so satisfying to zap the mobs and then when/if you get cornered, unleash the heatwave to blow the smaller fodder demons to bits and knock back the higher-tier demons + their weakpoints.
~~~

In regards to the final boss, I too didn't really care for it at first and found it easily the most frustrating sequence in the entire game. But really in many ways, it's the ultimate culmination of putting the player's skills to the test against the game's mantra of "Never stop moving, shooting, using items, and resource looting".

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who used the Heat Blast a lot in 2016? It felt basically as powerful as in Eternal. I tried the microwave at first, but never looked back once I unlocked heat blast.

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who used the Heat Blast a lot in 2016? It felt basically as powerful as in Eternal. I tried the microwave at first, but never looked back once I unlocked heat blast.
I'm sure it was powerful, it's just that 2016 never really pushed me to use it, you know? I tried the Plasma Rifle when I got it, didn't like the way it felt, basically ignored it and I was fine. Whenever I start to ignore the Plasma Rifle in Eternal for too long, the game throws shield enemies at me to remind me that this gun is pretty good.

Even after I basically started ignoring weak points in favor of weapon cycling to quickly kill heavy enemies, the Plasma Rifle to destroy shields continued to be the one exception. I would always switch back to it.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
I guess they had to find a way to annoy the fuck out of me...

Been trying to down the Doom Hunter and when I finally do it they throw 2 at the same time?

Fuck this game, not content with that fucking atrocious boss battle they constantly tell you to cheat with the fucking sentinel armor. NO, YOU CHEAP FUCKS!

I love Doom 2016, but this thing is just a cheap shot after another.
So... did you forget the part in DOOM 2016 where they did the exact same thing? lol

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018

Yeah, I used the Heat Blast a bunch in 2016 and really enjoyed it, but I actually went for the Microwave Beam mod at first in Eternal because the preview video looked cool. Didn't realise it used so much ammo and required enemies to be near death in the first place to be useful, so in the end went back to my Heat Blasting ways.

Speaking of mods, wasn't until after the point of no return that I regretted not getting the precision shot mod for the Heavy Cannon. I suck at sniping so I thought I wouldn't need it but would've been nice to have against those Maykr Drones.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Heat blast was my go-to in 2016 too. Stun was op on top of kind of limp feeling, so it's not terribly fun to use. Microwave is neater in theory (than stun); I enjoyed the mastery and weekly challenges for it, but I wonder if anyone can incorporate it into the meta.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Biggest lore question for me right now is...

Who is the true ruler of hell? While Hayden is obviously the fallen angel, he's not the one in charge of hell since it would jumble up everything else. Not the icon of sin either since that seems more like a tool than a fully sentient creature.
Maybe Spider Mastermind? It seemed to have a big role based on the snippits we got in 2016 and it's ability to reincarnate if the right host is available.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

Ice bomb will insta kill the dog for a bit of health.

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, for me, it's just that all of the parts that go into making a gun feel satisfying to use (sound, animation, enemy reactions and the weapon's affect on enemies) feel far better for the Plasma Rifle in Eternal for me versus 2016.

It just looks, sounds, and feels far more satisfying to use. The gun feel in Eternal is just top notch overall.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Man, the story in this game and the way it's being told is almost exactly what Doom parodied and made fun of a few years ago. I can't believe how serious it takes itself and how utterly dry and uninteresting these Datalogs are. It's like Final Fantasy 13 all over again. Without reading these endless walls of texts you won't understand a thing of what happens in the story. But boy oh boy do you need some patience to suffer through these collections of empty Nouns and capital l Lore.

The game is still great but man is this storytelling a bummer.

Oct 25, 2017

Who is the true ruler of hell? While Hayden is obviously the fallen angel, he's not the one in charge of hell since it would jumble up everything else. Not the icon of sin either since that seems more like a tool than a fully sentient creature.
Maybe Spider Mastermind? It seemed to have a big role based on the snippits we got in 2016 and it's ability to reincarnate if the right host is available.
I've had that same question as well. Maybe a topic for the next Doom.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Edit: Speaking of lore, whatever happened to the fat demon on the right? He looks almost like a Clive Barker's Jericho and Diablo 3 love child. DLC content, I hope.

maxresdefault.jpg

Man, the story in this game and the way it's being told is almost exactly what Doom parodied and made fun of a few years ago. I can't believe how serious it takes itself and how utterly dry and uninteresting these Datalogs are. It's like Final Fantasy 13 all over again. Without reading these endless walls of texts you won't understand a thing of what happens in the story. But boy oh boy do you need some patience to suffer through these collections of empty Nouns and capital l Lore.

The game is still great but man is this storytelling a bummer.
It wasn't a parody back then. It was more like self aware revelry. This game is the same way but imo winks a bit too much at the audience.

I don't know how you came away thinking it's that self-serious.

Last edited:

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018

From DOOM 2016 Codex:

gm2o3jfoh2p21.jpg

From Art of DOOM Eternal:

content

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
Glad to see I'm not alone in not really finding the microwave beam very useful. I felt like I was doing something wrong by not finding a use for it.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I also felt like it was only worth using if an enemy was already weakened enough so that the bar to explode town would fill before your borderline stationary self gets riddled, and believe me, I was trying to get use out of it, I actually never took it off the weapon for the other mod to try and force goodness out of it, never really happened.

Oct 27, 2017

Sweet, thanks. Hell on Earth is short and nets you four extra lives per run, so I might just keep grinding that until I have between 30 to 50 extra lives.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
How do you do the weapon swapping on ps4 that I see in folks videos? When I hit the weapon swap button it always defaults whatever I have to the basic shotgun and back to what I had selected. To do some of the crazy shit like the combos on mauraders, how am I supposed to do this on PS4, the weapon wheel is not fast enough for the swapping