• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Think so, think so as satan is typically a fallen angel, and the khan maykr isn't god more like the queen of angels or some shit

Yeah never thought of the fallen angel aspect. It fits.

1. It is said that every 10.000 years, a new Khan Maykr is born from the collective, and it takes the lead until a new one exist. But to happen, they need the Father and its essence. So, since the Father disappeared, the actual Khan stayed, and we can only assume this body was for the one supposed to replace the current Khan, but it didn't as no consciousness could be put in this body.
  2. No clear answer, it's only speculation, but the theory is that it indeed is, or at least, a digitalize copy of its essence
  3. Same, no clear answer, only supposition that yes, it is, or that they are at least very very related and knew each other
  4. I've not seen something about him behind Satan so far, why would it fight the Hell as if he was, he could have killed the Khan by just no giving its people the Argent energy? Also, I'm not sure Satan is a thing in this universe, but I could be wrong
  5. Dunno, but if true, the Father "is" God, so if Samuel = Samur = Satan, he already did when stealing the Father (well, again, just a supposition he did)
  6. He is, but with improved body, spirit and essence, like a semi-god such as Hercule was in a sense.

Yeah Hayden's motivations seem strange. He wants to defeat Hell's forces, but he's also very anti-Maykr. He seems benevolent, but too much fits for him to be Satan himself at the same time, with the whole S.Hayden=Satan thing and if he's Samur, a fallen angel.

Samuel Hayden
S. Hayden
Shayden
Shaiden
Shaidan
Shaitan
Satan

:O

Mind blowing, huh.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
It just chips away at immersing a sense of place.
The thing about sense of place that gets me is how Doom 2016 had this ramping coherent sense of progression and scale. The first half has this sense of growing intensity as you get nearer and nearer to the Argent Tower in the distance, climaxing in that huge fight up at the top and being sent to Hell for the first time, then you escaped into the increasingly hellified base before heading into the deepest parts of the facility with Vega, and then into the most intense parts of Hell to finally show down against Pierce. Okay, that second half is a bit redundant, but I still got a vague sense of what I was doing and how things were progressing.

In Eternal you just kind of ping-pong between planets and locations and dimensions because a voice keeps telling you "there's a signal here" or "we stopped the invasion but the Klumpernox Matrix means we didn't actually do anything, we have to blow that up," and "well the only Bafomdoad that can help us now is in the lost city of Samoflange" and then Doomguy presses a button on his computer because well of course, the lost city of Samoflange!
You're in space and then in an Earth city and then a lost medieval space city, then hell, then back to earth but cold, and then back to earth cities, then back to space bases, then back to lost medieval space cities, then back to hell again, then cyber heaven, then back to earth.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
Hayden's motivations seem strange. He wants to defeat Hell's forces, but he's also very anti-Maykr. He seems benevolent, but too much fits for him to be Satan himself at the same time, with the whole S.Hayden=Satan thing and if he's Samur, a fallen angel.

Well, I wouldn't say he is anti-Maykr, as when we visit their city, he seems to really like this place and all, but he is against what the Khan is doing to other species to get the Argent Energy, aka speeding up the dead process thanks to the army of hell to get more Argent Energy for their people.

But that whole Samuel/Samur thing feels like something they build up for Eternal and didn't think about this with DOOM Eternal, because then, it wouldn't make sense for Samuel to exploit Argent energy from the get-go knowing where does it comes from, how it's made and the doom it was for the Maykr.

Still cool, but can't stop thinking it was something they didn't think about in DOOM 2016 and tried to connect everything in Eternal by forcing some stuff into the Lore and background story.

But yeah, as he was banned from the Heaven, he could have become Satan, but, thing is, according to the Lore, the Maykr didn't know Hell was a thing before meeting the DOOM Guy, and even the Khan had to make a deal with the Hell Lords to build its Argent Ernergy factory in Hell, and at this time, Samur wasn't already banned from Heaven, so I don't think he is Satan, especially since the Maykr have a collective mind, he wouldn't have been able to be a Hell Lord without the Khan knowing.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah never thought of the fallen angel aspect. It fits.

Yeah Hayden's motivations seem strange. He wants to defeat Hell's forces, but he's also very anti-Maykr. He seems benevolent, but too much fits for him to be Satan himself at the same time, with the whole S.Hayden=Satan thing and if he's Samur, a fallen angel.

Well...

I think it could make sense when Hayden talked about how things could have been much better under "different leadership". He's not benevolent so much as he's looking after his own agenda. Like he'd be a more reasonable devil/Kahn Maykr (but he'd still need some sacrifice, just not the whole damn Earth all at once) I mean, Satan is often depicted as being sly and making deals, not just conquering and burning everything down all at once.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
managed to progress. had to roll back to the previous nvidia drivers. not sure what happened. the boss of the Arc Complex was fun. i like the small-ish space and how you had to keep him at mid range meaning you had to get a shot in real fast.

need a break now lol.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game is just annoying. After the latest grueling gauntlet of enemies I've realized I'm not having fun anymore. I'm not sure what is it about it but I liked Doom 2016 so much more than this.

Oct 27, 2017
Slowly but surely the Marauder is getting his ass kicked. I am starting to get the hang of this bastard.

Grenades, super shotgun, Balista and flamethrower destroys him easily. I usually die cause of the fodder instead of him.

Also I gotta disagree with people saying Doom 4 hadd better art style. This game destroys it interms of art and variety. Earth looks really cool and metal, same with the hell and all the different planets. All of them look varied and intersting which makes exploring really fun and interesting. I also love the platforming.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was an option on M+KB to swap to the other gun that shares the ammo type by double tapping a hotkey.

Like a press of 1 pulls out the shotty and another press pulls out the SSG

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The thing about sense of place that gets me is how Doom 2016 had this ramping coherent sense of progression and scale. The first half has this sense of growing intensity as you get nearer and nearer to the Argent Tower in the distance, climaxing in that huge fight up at the top and being sent to Hell for the first time, then you escaped into the increasingly hellified base before heading into the deepest parts of the facility with Vega, and then into the most intense parts of Hell to finally show down against Pierce. Okay, that second half is a bit redundant, but I still got a vague sense of what I was doing and how things were progressing.

In Eternal you just kind of ping-pong between planets and locations and dimensions because a voice keeps telling you "there's a signal here" or "we stopped the invasion but the Klumpernox Matrix means we didn't actually do anything, we have to blow that up," and "well the only Bafomdoad that can help us now is in the lost city of Samoflange" and then Doomguy presses a button on his computer because well of course, the lost city of Samoflange!
You're in space and then in an Earth city and then a lost medieval space city, then hell, then back to earth but cold, and then back to earth cities, then back to space bases, then back to lost medieval space cities, then back to hell again, then cyber heaven, then back to earth.
Reminds me of how some people prefer the single island in Mega Man Legends to the world-hopping adventure from Legends 2, because while it has more variety the smaller towns are not as fleshed out, while Kattelox Island feels like a real place in the first game.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Booted the game for the first time this week and I see that the map is still unusable when HDR is turned on (on PC anyway)... Bummer

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Unanswered story questions:

What was up with the dead/inert Makyr in the vat/tub near the end?
Is VEGA The Father?
Samuel Hayden has to be Samur
Is S.Hayden Satan?
Did he trick you into destroying God?
So the Doom Slayer is no longer a mortal at this point?
Samur Maykr has the same voice actor as Samuel, they even say the same phrase to the Doomguy ("This will help you in your Journey") and the whole "His body tech seems Alien" thing reinforces this.

The S. Hayden = Satan thing is more of a coincidence the community hangs too much on, instead of an actual thing. And with Eternal, it's harder to believe it, considering his very emotional stance towards Argent Energy creation, and his push to create a synthetic one (This also explains why Samur leave the Maykrs and made the Slayer more than mortal). Still, we don't fully know what his real agenda is, so far, we know he opposes both Urdak and Hell, and is willing to protect others from them.

Vega may be the father, or at the very least, a copy/based on him.

And yes, the Slayer is pretty much a Demigod at this point (And a King, until he killed the final priest), and considering the timeline, can't die of old age.

Deleted member 11069

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Giving "THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO" tutorials even for bosses is so lame. This game wants to be so hardcore and then does something hand holding and belittling like that. At least let me die a couple of times trying to figure it out OR making it something in the codex I can look up.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
17 hours, Ultraviolence,
just got to Mars.
I love the exploration element in this and 2016.

What an incredible game! So happy to be dooming again.

Giving "THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO" tutorials even for bosses is so lame. This game wants to be so hardcore and then does something hand holding and belittling like that. At least let me die a couple of times trying to figure it out OR making it something in the codex I can look up.
Even the goddamn loading screens give away weak points lol

This is the greatest thing ever.

Thank you for sharing this!!!

Last edited:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I figured the weakness tutorials a necessary evil because I'm sure some of those would've just left me in a ball of confused rage if not mentioned.
Stuff like the necessary blood punch on a certain boss, the Marauder green eye flash being the only attack window and maybe even blood punching the armour off the guy whose big thing is to AoE you for stepping close to him.

You could probably get away with tucking the weakpoints like Revenants, Cacodemons and so on as post fight codex bits whether found or just dropped into your menu.
I suppose it's another point towards the game's occasional lack of elegant clarity in what to do so surprise tutorial prompt!

Finally replaying Doom 2016, now on ultra violence, and you know I can see the Ninja Gaiden 1 to Ninja Gaiden 2 comparison being quite apt here in how the games are similar yet different and how the first is more open with its design while the second is just balls to the walls arena madness.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn BFG Division is still so good.

I need the Eternal OST on Apple Music already. Need my workout music so I can rip and tear....on the pull up bar.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
It's not that they are challenging, it's that they totally suck the pacing out of the game.
They force you to adapt and the first one to one fight teaches you how to deal with them.

Later arenas are much bigger so you have multiple ways to kill him.

If you want to cheese him, you can blast one BFG ball to distract him and he is unable to block a second from behind.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018

Turn them off then.

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm going back through levels one at a time after completing the game, to play at a higher difficulty and mop up the collectibles, is there any downside to using the cheats? Am I going to be losing out on or be denied anything?

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Those having problems with the Marauder, are you playing on consoles by any chance?
He is relatively easy on PC. Just quick change the SS to the ballista and he'll be gone in 3-4 shots even on Nightmare.
I find the Archvile or the DoomHunter much harder to deal with.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
If I'm going back through levels one at a time after completing the game, to play at a higher difficulty and mop up the collectibles, is there any downside to using the cheats? Am I going to be losing out on or be denied anything?
using cheats will not give you event xp which is the important kind of xp

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Those having problems with the Marauder, are you playing on consoles by any chance?
He is relatively easy on PC. Just quick change the SS to the ballista and he'll be gone in 3-4 shots even on Nightmare.

Even the DoomHunter became fairly easy once I stopped trying to get his shields down. Rockets + remote detonation and then ballista makes short work of them.

Archviles though...my only strategy if you want to call it that is just rushing them with everything I've got.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on PC with KBM. He's just not fun and breaks the flow of the game for me. Fuck him. I turn that shit down to easy every time now.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I just beat the game on nightmare and unlocked all of the achievements. I don't think I've ever beaten a game 5 times in a row before so I think this game is certainly something special. I can't wait to play it again and again.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat the game on nightmare and unlocked all of the achievements. I don't think I've ever beaten a game 5 times in a row before so I think this game is certainly something special. I can't wait to play it again and again.
I get exhausted after playing two levels in a row. I can't imagine beating a game 5 times in a row in a week. I'd be burnt the fuck out.

The game is great gameplay wise except for a couple of frustrating enemies so I get it, but fuck. I commend you.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the game, absolutely loved it. Some minor, patchable annoyances, especially towards the later levels but I'm very much looking forward to the upcomming DLC's and any sequels.

Oct 25, 2017
The arenas in Doom 2016 were so much more interesting and varied in shape than in Eternal.

By Taras Nabad you'll be sick of like 90% of the big fights in Eternal being in a nearly interchangeable "square or rectangular room with an upper layer on the perimeter and/or in the middle, jump pads, and maybe a little tunnel with armor or ammo" layout.
oh no you just broke it for me :(

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Hard disagree on that. The game doesn't hide its "gamey" conventions, and wants you to know enemy weak points so you can bypass that trial and error process and master the combat/enemy weakness/resource management loop that makes this game so intoxicating.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mind them because the goal would be somewhat obtuse otherwise, particularly with the Maurader and that one flying thing.

Plus knowing what to do doesn't stop them from stopping your ass into the gravel if you let up for one second.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought famine mode only disabled regular on death drop, but no you can't even get health with glory kills, ice nade, or armor with belch/super shotgun upgrade
Yeah that's a bit brutal on nightmare

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Disagree. It takes away the guesswork and trial and error of figuring out wtf you're supposed to do and makes it purely about execution and strategy.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
they disrupt the pacing in the very few fights they are in. I think they are a great addition to the game.
That's what I said. They disrupt the pace. Why include something that feels like slamming the brakes in an otherwise very fast paced game? I feel the "very specific range" requirement just makes this tedious. If you could counter him from range or very close, it would be a lot more flexible and would flow better with the rest of the game.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
using cheats will not give you event xp which is the important kind of xp

I am going to correct myself on that because I just tested this a bit more.
apparently you get no event xp for the mission sentinel prime, which is a boss only mission. I thought thus was because of the cheats.

I can confirm that the missions give all the same event xp, regardless of difficulty or cheats.
which is really bad I think. that's probably the first real complaint I have with this game.

it bothers me that replaying a mission on nightmare without cheats gives you the same of xp like running through easy mode with unlimites lives and spamming the bfg. that's bad design.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Who else turns off weapon sway?

To me, it's mandatory because it seems faster and you pretty much feel like a sports car by simply running. It also helps when you turn the FOV all the way up.

It also has that old PC FPS shooter look to it also, which DOOM, man c'mon.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
The only thing I would call bad is the Judgment eye thing that continually spawns Pain Elementals while forcing you to jump platform to platform over lava. I was cursing that encounter both times I played it.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Man Urdak is liquid dogshit in every facet except for environment design, which is gorgeous. Encounters go on FOREVER, platforming sections may be the most irritating of the game, and the arenas they stick you in are tiny as hell.

Last edited: