• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Game is kicking my ass even on regular difficulty in the first level lol.

I guess I must be getting old, them reflexes aint what they used to be :*(
The game really asks you to be way more mechanically precise than doom 2016. I wasn't expecting the game to ask you to make precision shots, but it does it a lot because many of the heavy demons are just so much easier to deal with if you break their weak points first.

It'll get easier as you get more tools for the job. It's fairly normal to feel clumsy and slow early in the game because you don't have many vital upgrades yet. The default weapon swap and mod switch speeds are a travesty.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Doom CE finally shipped yesterday and should be arriving today. Hopefully it arrives fine.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
Is there an easier difficulty than normal? Just wondering as so many people are saying it's kinda brutal on normal.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Finished it on Nightmare. Collected everything and did all the Slayer gates.

Holy hell what a fucking amazing game. The whole philosophy of its design feels so lean and classic, reminds me a lot of character action games or God of War 2 or something.

Man that was RICH meal though. I need a break from all video games for a couple days haha

Funny I was thinking about God of War 2 last night as well.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Just got the crucible blade. This game is kinda alright? I'm enjoying it, but as much as I hoped. Feels like Ori 2: lots of improvements, but still isn't any more fun than before.There's too much feature bloat, the story is nonsense, and the combat is really lacking in some crucial areas. I also don't like how most enemies are goddamn sponges. It shouldn't take me like 10 rockets to kill one enemy and even bfg can't kill every enemy with one shot. And the levels are way too long, even if they look awesome.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The reliance on so many enemies needing to be attacked in small pin point weak spots to truly take them down easily makes this game incredibly frustrating on consoles with controller aiming. The game is so fast and enemies bounce around so much, the imprecise controller aiming is making this game artificially harder than it should be on PS4. I loved the run and gun play on 2016, but they made it way too precise here and it's killing the enjoyment for me

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see there's an achievement for doing extra lives mode, maybe I'll do an extra lives ultra violence run. Maybe do the 1 crystal 1 perk achievement at the same time too but could be tough. One perk only is fine (probably take dash cooldown) but one crystal only.. ehhhh
The reliance on so many enemies needing to be attacked in small pin point weak spots to truly take them down easily makes this game incredibly frustrating on consoles with controller aiming. The game is so fast and enemies bounce around so much, the imprecise controller aiming is making this game artificially harder than it should be on PS4. I loved the run and gun play on 2016, but they made it way too precise here and it's killing the enjoyment for me
Aren't there only 3 enemies with weak points? Revenant, mancubus and arachnotron. Cyber mancubus if you want to count it I guess.

demi

Oct 27, 2017

The sticky bomb upgrade has a ton of aim assist, it will usually magically stick to the Revenant or Arachnotron's weak spots. It even magically automatically goes into the Cacodemons without issue. Honestly it's one of the best mods/weapons to use in the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Equip the rune that gives you slow-mo when aiming secondary weapon abilities in mid-air if you're having a lot of trouble keeping up. Plus, the rune is just cool and fun as hell.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it is a reliance though. I think it's a way to be more efficient. On the higher difficulties in certain encounters it can be a lifesaver at times no question, but I've also tried working through battles ignoring weakspots and it can be done (UV difficulty).

Saying this, I would imagine the game is a lot harder to play on gamepad in general.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I've had my run with Doom Eternal for now, will definitely return at a later once updates/DLCs (and mods?) have released... or I get impatient and need to scratch that Doom itch. Because as far as I'm concerned, this is one of my favorite FPS games since Blood. Basically better in every way compared to 2016, even the music (more 'phwoar, that's nice' moments).

Speaking of DLC, I really hope it's good. I'd personally love to see the 'ripatorium' expanded upon, make it wave-based, customizable options, different arenas... pull in the MP maps maybe?

My only complaints are movement speed is a bit on the slow side, it's a bit too slow to start, bit too heavy on tutorials, some ugly textures here and there, and the final boss was a bit... eh. But I really like the last level itself! And the Prowlers look way much like Imps, so many times I've tried to chainsaw them.

(A lot of these things can easily be offset by options, cheatcodes, console commands, and hopefully mods!)

I read some journalist saying on twitter to play without tutorials and hints and I started the game that way. It feels clean and haven't been stuck so far (outside of enemies kicking my ass).

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
Aren't there only 3 enemies with weak points? Revenant, mancubus and arachnotron. Cyber mancubus if you want to count it I guess.

Doom Hunter as well. Revenants are the only ones that are hard to hit but they're so squishy you really don't have to bother.
Doom Hunter I'm a little confused as to whether his whole hoverboard is a weakpoint or just the little jets.

If people are genuinely struggling to even pop the Mancubi's ham-hands, I really don't what to say.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doom Hunter as well. Revenants are the only ones that are hard to hit but they're so squishy you really don't have to bother.
Doom Hunter I'm a little confused as to whether his whole hoverboard is a weakpoint or just the little jets.

If people are genuinely struggling to even pop the Mancubi's ham-hands, I really don't what to say.
Right, doom hunter is kinda weird as there are 2 distinct approaches. You can straight up ignore the shield as it doesn't protect the sled. But yeah you're still kinda forced to have a strat for them.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Does the story ever explain the jump from Doom 2016 - Eternal? Because I'm on level 3 and don't understand how I got out, why I have VEGA, or why I have my rad space fort.
During the cutscene where you destroy Vega in 2016, doomguy makes a point to make a backup that he takes with him.

I think its a crucial moment for his character im that game that establishes his rowdy dgaf attitude extends only to demons and people/beings fucking around with demon shit but a lot of people seemed to have missed it

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I don't think it is a reliance though. I think it's a way to be more efficient. On the higher difficulties in certain encounters it can be a lifesaver at times no question, but I've also tried working through battles ignoring weakspots and it can be done (UV difficulty).

Saying this, I would imagine the game is a lot harder to play on gamepad in general.
Same. It's not "this is how you need to win this fight" but more "this would be the most efficient way to go about it." There's a lot of flexibility still (also playing on UV.)

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
Game is kicking my ass even on regular difficulty in the first level lol.

I guess I must be getting old, them reflexes aint what they used to be :*(

I don't think that's you. The game is terribly balanced early on because you have almost no tools at your disposal. If you can power thru to levels 4 or 5, the game becomes manageable.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I found the final boss to be extremely tough and it was a very very long fight. Unless I am doing something wrong...

I did beat it last night and enjoyed my time with it. I loved all the nods to the old ID games. I would happily buy a new Commander Keen game, for the record.

Dopefish! I laughed out loud when I saw him.

The game was fast, intense, challenging (though some platform elements were troublesome for the wrong reasons), and just plain fun. My time with Doom Eternal isn't done, though. I got all of the secrets, Slayer Gates, and upgrades, but need to mop up the weapon mastery for a lot of weapons. I may even have some fun with the cheats, to take me back to my 13 year-old self of putting in "IDDQD" and "IDKFA" in the original Doom.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The one thing that I feel like holds this game back a little is the heavy handed tutorializing. I get why they did it, but I feel like it sells the game short.

It's the exact same issue Sekiro has, actually. In that the game gives you a very efficient way of dealing with each move through unmissable pop up tutorials. And since every player knows how to deal with everything, they never experiment, and go on to claim that the game has no room for doing anything differently from the exact approach the game wants. And it doesn't help that it's pretty close to optimal.

But in Sekiro, the way this hurts players is that they never try new approaches, keep doing the same thing and dying over and over, unable to beat the boss. This is a lesser issue, because if they're failing, then the game is already communicating that there might be a better way, it's their fault they're not listening.

But in Doom Eternal, what happens is that they give you the answer that would be cool to figure out by yourself. For example, the shielded dudes appear, and the game instantly tells you to switch to the Plasma Rifle and shoot their shields so they can overload and cause an AOE blast. Why would you ever try anything else? If it said nothing, more people would likely realize that they have openings in their shields for their hands, and shooting their hands with the scope will disable the shields, Halo style. Then, later, either they'd try it out by themselves or they'd read someone mentioning online that you can actually blow up their shields with the Plasma Rifle.

That still trivializes any other approach, and will be the one they'll use every time from now on, but it feels like a discovery, like experimenting with the systems lead the community to the correct answer, instead of just being handed that answer on a silver platter. I'm sure other ways will be found with time and the meta will evolve to ignoring most of the tips the game gives you and favoring something else instead, but for a first playthrough, you're basically just doing what the game tells you.

This is a minor issue for me, I should say, since Sekiro has the same problem and it's one of my favorite games of all time, and Doom Eternal so far has been easily one of the best FPS campaigns I've ever played, but it's something to keep in mind for a possible third game. I know the director said that the game is not about figuring these things out, it's about execution, but a lot of people have been criticizing the game for lacking that experimentation period.

That being said, a negative consequence of getting rid of some of the tutorialization is that the game will have to become easier on all difficulties. They give you the answer to every enemy, and encounters are still pretty fucking hard, so if you have to figure out a way to deal with them yourself on top of that... they'll likely have to make it a little more manageable.

you can turn tutorials off in the menu...

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
This was a fun video to watch, it's amazing to see just how successful the design of all the demons was, from a gameplay perspective. So many games are like "this is the enemy that's really gonna challenge players to the max" and it's just like.... a regular enemy with a lot of health. In this, all the stuff he said is actually what I did, right down to HATING the snake demons and using tracking weapons to deal with them.

Definitely would not watch if you have not gotten halfway through the game yet, though, it spoils basically all of the main enemy types in great detail. But it's so cool to see how everything they INTENDED with the demons really played out and came across in the game.

Also interesting that he keeps referring to Marauder in the singular sense. Seems like it was initially intended as an "invasion" style boss that comes and goes, but somewhere along the line it became an enemy type rather than a character. It kind of would have been cool if it teleported away and the satisfaction of killing him was pooled up until near the end of the game.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just finished the motherfucker minutes ago after about 20 hours of playtime. I played on Ultra-Violece all the way, which I found to be the perfect difficulty.

Except for the final boss. Fuck that guy.

Either way, fantastic game, in almost all regards better than 2016, except for the length. This would've been better at 15hrs rather than 20.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
So, before I start level 4, if I choose to replay level 2 from mission select in order to play the slayer gate there, after I'm done I can enter the vortex on the ship and play level 4?

Wouldn't be able to choose 4 from mission select, so I'm just confirming. I don't want to mess up my progresoon.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Man I'm a fool for pre-ordering it online! Its gonna be a long wait it seems. But then again, ordering it from the PS Store wasn't an option for me (70 euro versus 47 lol)

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
During the cutscene where you destroy Vega in 2016, doomguy makes a point to make a backup that he takes with him.

I think its a crucial moment for his character im that game that establishes his rowdy dgaf attitude extends only to demons and people/beings fucking around with demon shit but a lot of people seemed to have missed it

I'm on level 4 and I really don't know what's going on or why am I doing what I'm doing (outside of the Hell on Earth stuff). I know the codex would make me know, but I start reading and go "why am I reading in a doom game?". The story so far it's the low point for me, but I hope stuff starts to make sense since it feels that it has nothing to do with 2016's ending

Oct 27, 2017
Just got introduced to the maurader. Do not like.

conceptually on paper I could understand why this seemed like a great idea but in practice it's super frustrating and worst yet, completely ruins the combat rhythm and flow.

you either have to prioritize him above everyone else or save him for last because one way or the other you have to babysit and watch his animations for the criminally small window in which you can actually damage him. That's to say nothing of the fact that that small window of opportunity is based on an imprecise distance

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

conceptually on paper I could understand why this seemed like a great idea but in practice it's super frustrating and worst yet, completely ruins the combat rhythm and flow.

you either have to prioritize him above everyone else or save him for last because one way or the other you have to babysit and watch his animations for the criminally small window in which you can actually damage him. That's to say nothing of the fact that that small window of opportunity is based on an imprecise distance
Yeah the idea isn't too bad but his AI is botched. Way too often he will use the projectile at mid to close range, and the wolf is a horrible idea.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
The shooting feels different from Doom 2016, and it's difficult for me to adjust. Everything feels less "meaty," if that makes sense? Also, I liked how Doom 2016 slowly introduced enemies into its sandbox. Here it feels like they're just throwing random demons at you.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm on level 4 and I really don't know what's going on or why am I doing what I'm doing (outside of the Hell on Earth stuff). I know the codex would make me know, but I start reading and go "why am I reading in a doom game?". The story so far it's the low point for me, but I hope stuff starts to make sense since it feels that it has nothing to do with 2016's ending
what does this have to do with me explaining a moment that happened in doom 2016

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The spider cannon will destroy you even in Hurt Me Plenty. Aiming with a controller is imprecise, and feels quite "off" for the lack of a better term. The lack of aim assist doesn't help either.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018

Yeah I'm looking forward to a mod which straight up removes them. Give me Archviles all day, these guys just suck.

Overall tho great game but a few stinky design decisions keep it from topping 2016 for me, even if the combat overall feels much better

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017

In a game full of hard counters, he is the hardest. Completely invulnerable (? maybe ?) outside of one short window that will only open when the player stands in a specific range. Do the precise thing that he's vulnerable to, or lose. It would be better, according to me, amateur game designer, if the counter attack was a GOOD way to defeat him and not the ONLY way to defeat him.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a game full of hard counters, he is the hardest. Completely invulnerable (? maybe ?) outside of one short window that will only open when the player stands in a specific range. Do the precise thing that he's vulnerable to, or lose. It would be better, according to me, amateur game designer, if the counter attack was a GOOD way to defeat him and not the ONLY way to defeat him.
He can take some good damage from splash damage, say frag grenade, rockets, etc. If he gets close to other enemies, I like to pop a grenade and shit around, it can chunk him good.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I love being chased by Marauder-kun while dispatching his mook brethren. And he's super easy to take out in a 1v1 situation 🤷🏼‍♀️

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Well me, not liking being left out in the cold in the midst of hype releases, bought this 2 days ago.

I am NOT great at games (that aren't RPG lol), and usually can play normal difficulty but no higher. So I chose the 2nd difficulty. Played 2 hours on PC and:

—Holy shit I'm able to play this at 4K60 with almost all max settings, and I only have a 1080ti. So this was a huge surprise.

—this. Game. Is. HARD!!??? I mean, I'm just getting mowed down repeatedly and replaying the same sections over and over and over.

—that spider...thing..with the turret on it's back is RIDICULOUS!!! I can't believe something this hard is at the start of the game! I guess that means I'm super fucked for the rest of the game. I can not aim well enough to pinpoint hit the turret while he and 10 other things are attacking. I seem to die in like 2 seconds and ammo runs out SO fast. Not sure what I'm suppose to do here other than get good.

—it's gorgeous and the music rocks. The weapons feel great and I love the mods. Also love all the secret areas.

So, this seems like a great game. But I'm assuming this beginning is a cake walk compared to, well, the rest of the game, so honestly I might not be good enough to get much farther. I'm gonna play again today and see how it goes.
I don't regret my purchase it's obviously a great Game, I think it just might be too difficult for my meager abilities.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017

Yeah, VEGA helped him throughout the game. In that moment VEGA was willing to sacrifice itself to help the Doomguy. Doomguy made a backup to repay the favors. It shows he has a code that he lives by.