• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Finished the tutorial mission. I loved the first one but I feel like... something is missing with this one? I really can't put my finger on it but something about the fight areas or maybe the soundtrack isn't as "cool" as I thought it would be.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I don't agree? It feels flexible enough to be still really fun but I don't think it's as flexible as Doom '16 or other more focused run-and-gun shooters that don't deeply integrate crutch gameplay systems into the combat loop, which Doom Eternal does. It actively wants you to recharge your armour mid battle. It actively wants you to run low on ammo quickly. It actively wants you to experiment with the strength/weakness nature of enemies and abilities and juggle all of them at once. It's fun, but the loop is distinctly different in my opinion and not what I expected.
What difficulty are you playing on? I played on Ultra-violence and it kicked my ass a lot but I found flexibility. Like, my preferred method of dealing with Mancubus was to either hurl rockets/ballistas/micromissiles at them at a distance or toss in an ice grenade and put on autoshotgun and just grind them down close up. That was how I killed them most of the time, very rarely taking out their guns like the game recommended. Same thing with the Spiders, I destroyed their cannons maybe half the time, other times I just ground them down.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment btw. Doom Eternal really wants you to play a certain way and with regards to the Marauder, it's worst enemy, it's outright demanding of it, so I get where your coming from. But I don't play Halo on Legendary because that level of difficulty makes anything but slow, cautious, long-distance approaches untenable, so I just play on heroic that allows for the flexibility.

Deleted member 2152

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it fascinating that all the additions to the game are so controversial. I found them overwhelming at first too but by the end of the game felt pretty positive about them once I found my rhythm. Interestingly, because of the way all the gameplay systems have been layered, I think designing the encounters must have required much more deliberation than 2016's and it makes it that much more impressive to me that they pulled it off as well as they did.

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I can see you don't.. but if myself and many others are finding the flexibility, it does exist.

Imo it's just as flexible as Doom 2016, with some added shortcuts if you want to focus.
What difficulty are you playing on? I played on Ultra-violence and it kicked my ass a lot but I found flexibility. Like, my preferred method of dealing with Mancubus was to either hurl rockets/ballistas/micromissiles at them at a distance or toss in an ice grenade and put on autoshotgun and just grind them down close up. That was how I killed them most of the time, very rarely taking out their guns like the game recommended. Same thing with the Spiders, I destroyed their cannons maybe half the time, other times I just ground them down.

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment btw. Doom Eternal really wants you to play a certain way and with regards to the Marauder, it's worst enemy, it's outright demanding of it, so I get where your coming from. But I don't play Halo on Legendary because that level of difficulty makes anything but slow, cautious, long-distance approaches untenable, so I just play on heroic that allows for the flexibility.

Guys I'm not saying it's totally inflexible, haha. I'm highlighting my own experience with it that feels less flexible in the ways I'd like it to be, and how the run-and-gun genre generally is. There's flexibility. But there's also a bunch of other stuff going on within that framework that fundamentally influence approach in interesting, fun, but nevertheless different ways to what I expected.

And I'm playing on Ultra Violence. It's the right balance of difficulty for me, given my history with the genre. Just hard enough to make me sweat and panic, but not so hard that I want to put holes in the walls. It's weird though. For every super difficult spike that seems super hard there's an encounter that builds up as something special yet is over in a flash. I figure in those moments I just got lucky.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
If they increased the ammo count for normal difficulties I think most complaints against the game would disappear (combat wise).
For Higher difficulties, it's just right to make everything flow correctly.

Yeah. If they increased the ammo count and relaxed the constraints for lower difficulties (while keeping it tight for people who enjoy it on higher difficulties), most of my complaints would go away.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I'd consider the Marauders "fixed" if they did away with the respawning fodder and made the Marauder himself just drop some health and ammo when you shoot him. I don't mind other enemies being around at first, but if I take the time to clear them out, it should be possible to get it so it's just me and the Marauder alone.

This could never work anymore because of the lack of health/ammo. They need the mortally challenged to re spawn so you can refill. Annoying refill boxes that can kill you with a slap (nightmare).

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any way to access the Doom Fortress from the menu?
I would just like to listen to various songs I have unlocked from time to time but it seems only the natural campaign progression lets me go there.

Also, I really hope Bethesda fixes the HDR map bug effin SOON!!

When Hugo Martin spoke about the combat mechanics and strategies I felt that this game would be a mess with a controller. The game requires constant weapon swapping, mods switching and quick reflexes. I felt that the game would be amazing but the console users would be given the middle glory finger.

Lo and behold, I am not mistaken. Way too overcomplicated for its own sake.
Huh? I'm playing this on PC with a controller on Ultra-Violence and I'm doing just fine. In fact, I think it might be easier to have all these new gadgets ready at a fingertip on the controller rather than assigned to keyboard keys.

It's definitely a bit harder than the first game though. Took me a while to get used to the new gameplay loop that wants you to use all your tools regularly in battle.

One thing I noticed was how perfectly tuned the controller calibration was already. With Doom2016, I had to change some settings to make the controller feel more responsive and snappy. Doom Eternal felt perfect from the start.

Last edited:

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
Had a blast with Doom (2016)
Having a blast with Eternal.

I can see how some people might not be a fan of the direction they took with Eternal, but I just love how everything about it feels bigger, crazier and faster, it's so much fun.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Guys I'm not saying it's totally inflexible, haha. I'm highlighting my own experience with it that feels less flexible in the ways I'd like it to be, and how the run-and-gun genre generally is. There's flexibility. But there's also a bunch of other stuff going on within that framework that fundamentally influence approach in interesting, fun, but nevertheless different ways to what I expected.

And I'm playing on Ultra Violence. It's the right balance of difficulty for me, given my history with the genre. Just hard enough to make me sweat and panic, but not so hard that I want to put holes in the walls. It's weird though. For every super difficult spike that seems super hard there's an encounter that builds up as something special yet is over in a flash. I figure in those moments I just got lucky.
Like I said, I wasn't really disagreeing, because I 100% agree that Doom Eternal is much less flexible than Doom 2016 and I am on your side in feeling a bit sad about that because I wanted more of a sequel to 2016 Doom.

But I just think the feelings of restrictiveness were strongest at the start and just lessened as you upgraded your arsenal and abilities more and more. Playing fully powered makes me feel like I can mostly take on anything with anything like in 2016, but definitely not as easily.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, I wasn't really disagreeing, because I 100% agree that Doom Eternal is much less flexible than Doom 2016 and I am on your side in feeling a bit sad about that because I wanted more of a sequel to 2016 Doom.

But I just think the feelings of restrictiveness were strongest at the start and just lessened as you upgraded your arsenal and abilities more and more. Playing fully powered makes me feel like I can mostly take on anything with anything like in 2016, but definitely not as easily.

Definitely agree with that. I'm three levels in (I think?), and ass the Slayer buffs up the encounters open up too. Particularly as you get new weapons and whatnot to play with.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Finished the tutorial mission. I loved the first one but I feel like... something is missing with this one? I really can't put my finger on it but something about the fight areas or maybe the soundtrack isn't as "cool" as I thought it would be.
The game's beginning is by far the weakest part of the game. Halfway through, you'll be in Doom-heaven.

Nov 8, 2017
It's never killed me but I think they should tweak the tentacles to attack maybe 0.25 or 0.5 seconds more slowly. Even when I'm expecting them, half the time the first shotgun shell doesn't kill it because my aim or distance was off by a tiny margin and it gets a cheap shot on me. Not a fun enemy in any sense.

Also the ghost dog summons could be painlessly deleted from the game and nobody would complain.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agree with that. I'm three levels in (I think?), and ass the Slayer buffs up the encounters open up too. Particularly as you get new weapons and whatnot to play with.
Oh shit, your only 3 levels in? I was assuming midgame at least. In that case, I really recommend until you get atleast 5 weapons and have maybe 2 mods semi-upgraded mods for half of them and atleast one for the other half. I personally don't find the first couple levels to not be indicative of how the game is meant to be played. In fact, that was the case with 2016 as well, but here it's way more so.

Let us know if you still feel it's restrictive once you get past the halfway point (there are 13 levels so past level 6)

Deleted member 2152

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently you can load Doom (or any other vanilla) WADs in Eternal and play them.

This could never work anymore because of the lack of health/ammo. They need the mortally challenged to re spawn so you can refill. Annoying refill boxes that can kill you with a slap (nightmare).
The dog they spawn stands out to me as the only real annoyance with the way that enemy works. When you are forced to deal with the marauder and their dog attacking you simultaneously it doesn't feel fair and on nightmare especially you can't really afford to be put in that situation.
Is there any way to access the Doom Fortress from the menu?
I would just like to listen to various songs I have unlocked from time to time but it seems only the natural campaign progression lets me go there.
Unfortunately no, you would have to resume the game and then quit to get back.
I think you'll have a greater appreciation for it by the end of the game.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, your only 3 levels in? I was assuming midgame at least. In that case, I really recommend until you get atleast 5 weapons and have maybe 2 mods semi-upgraded mods for half of them and atleast one for the other half. I personally don't find the first couple levels to not be indicative of how the game is meant to be played. In fact, that was the case with 2016 as well, but here it's way more so.

Let us know if you still feel it's restrictive once you get past the halfway point (there are 13 levels so past level 6)

That's really positive to hear. I just cleared up the Cultist level tonight, getting myself the icon sawn off goodness, with the next stage a continuation of what must come next. I dont know if that's three main stages in, but it feels like it. I'd play more but the stages are quite long and I don't want to burn myself out.

I think you'll have a greater appreciation for it by the end of the game.

That's great ot hear.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

I honestly do not think it is less flexible than Doom 2016... I'm playing on UV too, and it feels just as flexible WITH the option to make your life easier if you go for the counters/weak spots.

Doom 2016 was much EASIER, and you could choose to just sit on a few guns... here you need to use everything, but that doesn't make it less flexible... in fact, imo, it inspires you to be more creative.

Oct 27, 2017
I think there seems to be a bit of a trend where people who really loved Doom 2016 tend to be struggling a bit with the changes here. I almost think Eternal might create a better impression faster if you were to go into it blind.

I have a greater sense of duality with Doom Eternal than any other game I've ever played. I prefer almost everything about Doom 2016. And yet I think Eternal is the perfect delivery of a sequel and a better game overall. It's super weird.

Either way, these are two of the best games I've ever played. In terms of shooters there is Doom 2016, Doom Eternal and Titanfall 2 - and then an absolutely cavernous gap to anything else.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017

Keep playing. I finished levels 5 and 6 last night and felt that the game took a huge step up, and that wasn't soley the scenario and combat design shining in those levels, but also my personal upgraded arsenal and breadth of options. They very, very gradually loosen the reigns this time around, but at that point you have more weapons, mods, and abilities and it becomes much easier to flow through combat instinctually because you hit way harder and are showered with more health and armor.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If by Super Gore Nest the game hasn't clicked with you then it isn't all too likely that it will.

That was the point of the game when I realized how most of the enemy weaknesses only served to highlight the elegant design and multifaceted nature of each and every weapon.

Though the first Marauder encounter is going to be an awkward road bump after that.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am at a point where I am just before 2 hours in and thinking about refunding the game on steam. its 60 bucks for an experience that I don't enjoy. I am hearing people say it gets better mid game, and I kinda want to stick it out, but I have a hard time convincing myself to start playing again, and that in my mind isn't a great sign.

At the moment I am thinking of refunding and buying it maybe a few years later when its dirt cheap.

I think they added too much mechanics that have to be spooned into your head that the opening levels (the first 3 to 4) are really hard to get trough. not in terms of difficulty but the way it forces you to play in a certain way since you don't have much choice in mods and weapons, and abilities. The dash def adds some needed maneuverability to get outa dodge, but I am already at points where I want to avoid fights, just because there might be a certain enemy type coming up. Its just a frustrating and unpleasant feeling to me, I am supposed to be the motherfucking doomslayer.

2016 had a weak opening too but at least there you get into the groove really early on and you cant wait to get into a fight. here its the absolute oposite!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 has the best FPS mechanics by far, imo. And raids and 980 encounters are some of the best encounters in FPS gaming.

But, overall, I agree those are the best traditional FPS games in recent times.

BigLee74

Oct 2, 2018
Anyone else with an X1X finding that this game can regularly hard crash the system? Seems to happen within a second of coming back from the in game menus, and never during gameplay itself...

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think there seems to be a bit of a trend where people who really loved Doom 2016 tend to be struggling a bit with the changes here. I almost think Eternal might create a better impression faster if you were to go into it blind.

I have a greater sense of duality with Doom Eternal than any other game I've ever played. I prefer almost everything about Doom 2016. And yet I think Eternal is the perfect delivery of a sequel and a better game overall. It's super weird.

Either way, these are two of the best games I've ever played. In terms of shooters there is Doom 2016, Doom Eternal and Titanfall 2 - and then an absolutely cavernous gap to anything else.
Imo there's a huge gap between Eternal and 2016 too.
2016 is the absolute minimum any shooter that takes itself seriously should aspire to. Still love 2016 but won't come back to it in a while.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017

Excuse me? Just wait until you get later in the game and then come back to me on the soundtrack.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
It's never killed me but I think they should tweak the tentacles to attack maybe 0.25 or 0.5 seconds more slowly. Even when I'm expecting them, half the time the first shotgun shell doesn't kill it because my aim or distance was off by a tiny margin and it gets a cheap shot on me. Not a fun enemy in any sense.
yep theyre somehow the most annoying thing in the game

also i dont understand why you can't go back to the hub at your leisure ughh

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
My CPU and GPU utilization doesn't even pass 40%, but I am for some reason only getting 80-100 fps on Ultra. Playing at 3440 x 1400 with 9700k 4.0ghz and a 2080.

Does that seem right? Is there a settings guide for optimal settings? Unsure if something is just tanking my FPS that I could turn off. Not to say 80-100 is annoying, but I would like to hit 144 at least.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Game feels really thought out but God damn does it feel real bad to be played on a controller. That or I'm going to have to drop the look speed dramatically. I've missed so many damn shots and I'm a guy who plays most console FPS at the highest look sensitivity.

Game plays like "you really should just be using a mouse"

I set X/Y sens. to 45, but you can up that if you normally play at higher sens. What made it feel good to me was to put look smoothing down to at least 50%, turn off target snapping (why this was on by default, I have no idea) and lower aim assist to 50%. It's fast enough to make quick turns etc. but you don't have to deal with over the top magnetism which ends up making you miss shots etc.

Nov 1, 2017
I'm enjoying the game more than I initially was however I can't help but still wish there was a toggle to turn on a Doom 2016 game play option. I enjoyed the game play far more in that.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Around the third/fourth level, once I wrapped around my head managing ammo (and upgrading ammo stats) and spamming my ice grenade the game is really starting to click with me.
The amount of systems in place also take a bit of getting used to.

Now some of these combat encounters with a fuller Arsenal compared to the start of the game are just a pure adrenaline rush, and yeah this game is def harder than the first.

Also, I'm weirdly finding myself way more into the story and lore than DOOM 2016, even if its a simple overarching narrative.
I just unlocked the classic skin and seeing DOOM guy in it during scenes is just *chef's kiss*

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
I don't have an issue with its difficulty. I have an issue with the constraints the core gameplay loop design puts on your freedom.
Sure I can nuke the spider without destroying his weak point X with weapon mod Y for weapon Z, but it's so much less effective that the game actively discourages you from doing your own thing. You have to switch weapons constantly, you have to set enemies on fire, you have to use your chainsaw (which is relegated to "oh shit there's an annoying red alert in the middle of my screen" button instead of the "awesome one hit kill + extra resources" button it was in 2016), you have to target weak points.
I understand the design idea, and I totally get this kind of gameplay is exactly what some people want. No contest there.

But for me, these imposed limits make for a significantly less entertaining game.

Thank you for detailing your thoughts. I understand why someone would feel this way.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Maybe this is a dumb question but with the chrono Strike rune, since hold LT is how to trigger it does that mean I can only do the mod attacks from it?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The cultist base/doom hunter base feel like massive pacing misteps. The missions before that, and the ones after those are a thousand times better

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah the game is much better around missions 5 and 6. The platforming elements are even used well in the context of big arena fights. It just feels like other parts of the game were mismanaged and descended into a PS2 era action adventure.

I really like slinging myself across arenas with slowdown/air-control/hookshot combo

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see those things as imposed limits.. because you are not forced to use those things in a specific way.

You are "forced" to walk over pick ups in 2016 to collect ammo for the most part, in Eternal you use the chainsaw, barrels, pick ups...

You do not /need/ to always use belch for armour, but it is there if you do need it and you are not forced to use it on specific enemies...

Yes, weakspots and specific counters make it a lot easier at times. Yes you do need to use your entire toolset whereas in 2016 it you could sir one few or even one weapon... but these are not limits in Eternal, imo, they are options and having to make use of your entire kit is the opposite of restrictive to me.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Maybe this is a dumb question but with the chrono Strike rune, since hold LT is how to trigger it does that mean I can only do the mod attacks from it?

As far as i can tell, yes. TBF its also the most useful when used in tandem with weapon mods for taking out weakpoints with precision aim in Slow-Mo. I wish there was an alternate Button Layout though, just in case.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I set X/Y sens. to 45, but you can up that if you normally play at higher sens. What made it feel good to me was to put look smoothing down to at least 50%, turn off target snapping (why this was on by default, I have no idea) and lower aim assist to 50%. It's fast enough to make quick turns etc. but you don't have to deal with over the top magnetism which ends up making you miss shots etc.
I feel like there is zero magnetism at all

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
So every time I pickup a new weapon I am going to get a popup that shows me the new weapon?

Doom 2016 has special animations for when you picked up a new weapon the first time, this is kind of lame and breaks the immersion of feeling like a badass discovering a new killing tool :(

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on the 8th level I believe, the game is great but the boss fights that take you out of the flow of combat really suck imo. They mix things up in a bad way

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So every time I pickup a new weapon I am going to get a popup that shows me the new weapon?

Doom 2016 has special animations for when you picked up a new weapon the first time, this is kind of lame and breaks the immersion of feeling like a badass discovering a new killing tool :(
You can turn them off if you want. You can read all the info in the menus.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Overall I really liked the game, but the marauder was a really strange enemy to add because he breaks the combat flow something fierce.
The platforming was mostly alright, some were a bit finicky.
The changes to the combat made me utilise all the weapons to some degree which was a far cry to what I did in Doom 2016, basically sticking to 3 guns, and I was surprised to see they made the plasma rifle useful.

If you're only 3 levels in and have issues with the backstory/lore expansion, be prepared for it to go waaaay further.

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
the issue with chainsaw for ammo is that you have to consciously decide to do it before all your ammo runs out, the game never presents opportunities like it does with glory kills or specific enemy/weapon combinations. even something as simple as a 'loot' enemy glowing gold spawning once per fight would be enough to remind you

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
If you're only 3 levels in and have issues with the backstory/lore expansion, be prepared for it to go waaaay further.
Having finished it honestly it's really just the worst at the opening when it's throwing Khan Maykr and Betrayer at you out of nowhere (although I'm a weirdo who read codices in the first game so I knew who Betrayer was). It lets off that stuff mid-game as you just work towards killing Hell Priests, and when it's brought to the forefront again near the end it tries to explain things in the cutscenes and not just the codex.

Not arguing that it's overall good or better than 2016, because it isn't. Although personally the get locked in a room while you listen to Olivia Pierce or Sam Hayden babble on felt more intrusive to me than any of the quick cutscenes in this game, but not by much.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Review:

Doom 2016 was a very pleasant surprise. After the mediocre Doom 3, the franchise had been put on ice, with years of stalled sequels and even a Call of Duty-inspired retooling. And then, lo and behold, id software comes back with a modern reboot in the spirit of the beloved franchise, and much rejoicing was had. It was slick and polished, but still felt a bit old school. There was no sprint, no fall damage, no ADS except for the sniping. It took old enemy types and favorite weapons and refigured them around an addicting, fast-paced combat loop. It wasn't classic Doom, but it stood on its own two feet.

Now we come to Doom Eternal, no longer a pleasant surprise, but burdened with expectations to push everything even faster and bigger than ever. How can you expand on something that already seemed like a closed loop? How do you go even crazier for something that felt like it was already running out of tricks in the last few hours? id Software has rose to the challenge, crafting an ambitious sequel that leaves Doom '16 looking like a test run.

Eternal has many similarities to its predecessor at first glance. You still play as the Doom Marine, tasked with ripping and tearing until it is done. You have almost the exact same weapons, and the game is structured around an escalating and deescalating series of combat encounters with a variety of demons. But after a quick hands-on, its readily apparent how different it is. Ammo is scarcer, which is a problem because enemies seem to hit harder, and the pace of the game seems to *start* at the mid-point of the last game and it only grows from there. The old tactics of running around with a Super Shotgun and Gauss Cannon, always ready for every situation, are over. All major enemies have weak points to exploit, which means you have to adjust on the fly to what the situation calls for or be quickly overwhelmed. The chainsaw, which once seemed like a superfluous, get-out-of-jail-free card in the last game, is now a required tool to supply ammo in the middle of fights. Several key weapons in the last game have less all-purpose uses, like the Super Shotgun being much slower and the rockets have far more splash damage if they're used too close.

At first, this seems like an over correction on id's part. A common criticism of Doom 2016 was, after a few key upgrades, it was easy to overwhelm the game's difficulty curve, even on the higher levels. Eternal's tools and demons are more situational, demanding and out right requiring the player to not engage passively with any battle. In the first few hours, the barrage of enemy types and various mechanics with all their cooldowns seems like too damn much. You often feel like the scrappy underdog entering an area with much tougher foes, scrambling around to get your bearings and surviving by the skin of your teeth.

But around the fourth mission or so, something clicks. You realize this isn't a FPS in the traditional sense. Its a first person character action game, like Ninja Gaiden Black or the earlier God of War titles. The ammo restrictions feel like the FPS version of Devil May Cry's and Bayonetta's style rank decay, where the developers discourage you to use the same moves over and over again. Dominating Doom Eternal means learning its many combat tools until they become second nature.

By a certain point, you are no longer the student, flailing and failing as you just try to stay above water. You stop being locked in with the demons, and the demons start being locked in with you. All your moves and options become natural extensions of your controls, as you manage your resources and crowd control with an almost Zen master like sense of calm. Everything synthesizes together as key information, from the distinct sounds and shape of the enemies in the arena, to the dynamically shifting Mick Gordon soundtrack that tells you what the intensity level is.

Its not all huge spectacular fights though. One of the great things about Eternal is how it manages to vary the pacing in-between. Some fights take place in smaller hallways or rooms, in-between some environmental hazards. There's unique encounters built around a single idea, like an area with exploding imps that need to be flung into bigger foes. There's a lot of platforming as well, which normally is a big no-no for FPS, but Eternal has so much mobility in its double jumps and dashes, that the platforming feels like a natural extension of the systems players are using in battle. The game also has the most collectibles and secrets I've seen since the heyday of Banjo-Kazooie, and because the game is constantly raising the challenge level, it makes the hunt for hidden 1ups and upgrades very satisfying.

The one place where id's ambitions get the better of them is the storytelling; namely the fact that its just fuckin' awful. Any narration or cutscene is a parade of sci-fi fantasy gooblygook bullshit, and if it wasn't for the loading screens between stages, it be hard to know who is who or why we're suddenly fighting in an ice level. The writing contains not one ounce of wit or heart, and all its attempt at humor are simply horrid(I don't know who kept thinking that "mortally challenged" thing was funny, but they were quite wrong). The revelations about the "Doomguy" are so corny, so misjudged, that its easy to seem that making a mythos after the original Doom's threadbare lore was a mistake.

But whatever! Every id FPS reboot can't be like the new Wolfensteins. Its very clear the developers came up with all the enemy types and environments they wanted to see(Heaven! Hell on Earth! Um, space gladiator arena!?) and worked backwards from there. When you're really playing Eternal, its hard to care too much about all that. Eternal is the Fury Road of shooters, a seemingly unwieldy spectacle that's somehow perfectly choreographed. They've taken the hints of character action game structure in the 2016 reboot and grew them to its natural next stage of evolution. It asks much from the player, but in return they are rewarded with a FPS game unlike any other made to date.
Missed this yesterday, but I want to say that this is a fantastic post, JC.
My thoughts exactly.